Author Topic: another roll pain thread  (Read 1264 times)

Offline Chris Slater

• Mangabey
  • PARKOUR PIE
    • View Profile
another roll pain thread
« on: November 16, 2008, 08:45:13 PM »
ok well here is my proplem when i roll i kinda hit my hip its not a structural proplem. I just did 20 rolls on a thin carpet like really thin and under neath concrete but anywas i was wondering if i should just do like 100 rolls on grass to get my technique better but if i do this i will propaly just be drilling the wrong techinque should i just keep doing on the thin carpet. and also know i have a bruise on my hip and kinda on my shoulder please help  ???
Go outside already!!

Offline Broc

• Patas
  • Meridian, ID
    • View Profile
Re: another roll pain thread
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2008, 09:06:09 PM »
hitting my hip happened to me a lot when i began learning how to roll also.
you should practice on concrete as it is probably the more common surface you will be rolling on.
i found that when i tucked really hard (when i mean tuck i mean like try to touch your chin to your left hip) i could avoid this.

you can either do that to correct it or you are just rolling to straight and need to go a bit more to the side to avoid the hip. but not too much more to the side or you will be drilling with bad form. its hard for me to give you an accurate description when your not right in front of me sorry :( hope i don't get ripped for telling you to roll on your side but i can't really find the right words to describe the motion...

Offline Chris Slater

• Mangabey
  • PARKOUR PIE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2008, 09:12:20 PM »
hitting my hip happened to me a lot when i began learning how to roll also.
you should practice on concrete as it is probably the more common surface you will be rolling on.
i found that when i tucked really hard (when i mean tuck i mean like try to touch your chin to your left hip) i could avoid this.

you can either do that to correct it or you are just rolling to straight and need to go a bit more to the side to avoid the hip. but not too much more to the side or you will be drilling with bad form. its hard for me to give you an accurate description when your not right in front of me sorry :( hope i don't get ripped for telling you to roll on your side but i can't really find the right words to describe the motion...

i wil try tuck more and also i think i'm not using my arms enough so i will try yo use them more also i dont want to be drilling them on concrete beacuse i have a fatty bruise already from doing it on thin carpet it would be really bad if i was to try it on concrete. But i think i need to tuck more and use my arms thanks for the advice .  any more replys ?
Go outside already!!

Offline bigninjapimp

• Hirundo Rustica
  • BNP
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2008, 01:36:45 PM »
gey on your back and roll on it like a turtle. Find a comfortable path on your back, then break it down from there.

Offline Chris Slater

• Mangabey
  • PARKOUR PIE
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2008, 05:48:58 PM »
ok i will try  :D i like how you explained it lol 
gey on your back and roll on it like a turtle. Find a comfortable path on your back, then break it down from there.
            +1
Go outside already!!

capnkissling

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2008, 02:49:44 PM »
You can probably tell when you hit your hip even on grass. So practice solving the problem on a soft surface, then move to a harder one once you stop smacking your hip.

Offline Matthew Wang

• Total Awesome
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • July 1st, 2008 - My first day of training
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2008, 07:49:55 PM »
Practice rolling on grass until there is no discomfort at all. Then practice on carpet until no discomfort at all. Then hardwood floor or something harder than carpet and finally cement.

Only advance up to a harder surface once you've adjusted your form for a roll that has good form: You shouldn't feel any pain or discomfort at all.

Specific to your problem though, what I've noticed is that you should go into your roll shoulder first and your body slightly angled away from the direction your heading. (your rolling on a line like this: |   your enter your roll along the line like this \(If you roll on your right shoulder). As you come out of the roll and onto your hip, your body should be perpendicular to the line you are rolling on (so that means this is your line | and you come out of the roll like this: ---)

so you go in like this \ and come out like this ---

hopefully that makes some sort of sense. Just try angling your body so you are perpendicular to the line you are rolling on AFTER you've started to roll on the back of the shoulder.
http://www.washingtonparkour.com/
Need something Washington Parkour related?
matt@washingtonparkour.com
washington@americanparkour.com
10 PUSH UPS OR 5 PULL UPS PER POST