Author Topic: INFURIATING AND HUMILIATING EXPERIENCE WITH POLICE  (Read 15363 times)

Offline Mark Toorock

• M2
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • American Parkour
Re: INFURIATING AND HUMILIATING EXPERIENCE WITH POLICE
« Reply #40 on: November 11, 2008, 12:02:20 PM »
I hope I didn't come off sounding in a way that made you think that you needed to respond like that, I was really curious if you read my post.

There is no reason not to explain it, but at the same time, as I have said (and is still my opinion) unless you have a game plan and an expected or desired outcome, then it seems to me to be incomplete.

Find out the laws- wtf is a 50% probable cause? That is not in any law that I know of. Again, what this guy did was wrong, and you were mistreated, but he can also post a pretty strong argument from his side, so if you're going to do anything about it, I simply suggest having all your ducks in a row :)

Be Useful.
If I don't try to make the world a better place, who will?
Every person has a choice - live by your fears or live by your dreams

Offline Lonnie Tisdale

• Patas
    • View Profile
    • San Diego Parkour, PKCali.com
« Reply #41 on: November 11, 2008, 04:28:27 PM »
I agree with your mom. You have nothing to gain by referring to Parkour beyond the fact that you where simply exercising. Exercising is not illegal, plain and simple.

Mentioning Parkour leads to the fear of liability. People tend to fear what they don't understand.

I've had my share of run-ins with the police...
"Let the fear of danger be a spur to prevent it; he that fears not, gives advantage to the danger."

Offline Jackson Miller

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Formerly Entity
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 11, 2008, 05:34:43 PM »
Sorry, I guess I came off sounding a bit like a jerk in that last post.  Thats not how I meant it.  I appreciate your help though Mark because you have thought it through instead of just saying "yeah, go get them, make them feel bad etc."  So I will develop a game plan/get my ducks in order :o ;D

I'll get back to you all.  And leaving it at "exercising" seems to be a good choice.  That way they still know we weren't fooling around.

Offline Chris Kessler

• Mangabey
  • iJump
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 12, 2008, 07:24:26 AM »
My only issue with leaving it at "Exercising" is that their obvious response will be, "Why would you need to exercise on a wall?" Then you'll be in a pickle and at that point will NEED to explain parkour or else they may suspect you of lying or something of the like.

Just my 2 cents on that little bit.
"We don't stop playing because we grow up. We grow up because we stop playing."
-Tim "Livewire" Shieff

Offline Paul Leon Mederos

• Legend
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Simple Knowledge - Leon's Tumblr Blog
« Reply #44 on: November 12, 2008, 11:58:02 AM »
Wait, I'm confused. So the police treated you badly based on what you said, but what are you trying to do? Get him fired? Lodge a complaint? Other words it just sounds like whining. Like I said earlier, I had a very similar situation... did I let it get to me and my training? No. Did I go out of my way to piss someone else off? Nah.

Unless you're supremely offended about what the dude did, just ignore it. Maybe send a polite letter stating that you feel officer so and so was a little rude and you are pointing it out so that he could be more helpful to others in the future. Aside from that, he didn't write you up, you haven't suffered anything from it, so just let it go  :)

Off topic but this sorta reminds me of people towing in my neighborhood. If someone parks in their spot, the immediately call the towing company and the person's car gets towed for a 150$. What a pain in the butt!! If someone parks in my spot, I write them a little note that says "Hey, I could've towed you, pay me 10$ (instead of 150$) or next time I'll call it in =P" and stick it on their windshield. So far I've made 30$, and saved 3 people 140$. It's all about attitude....  :P
When we move, we move as one.

Act; for the universe will never forget your movement, nor will it ever forgive your stillness.

Offline Tai

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 12, 2008, 12:07:40 PM »
This same thing happened to me and some friends a while back same situation, but luckily i talked the cop down pretty quickly. Point being Cops are Angry, mean, spiteful people most of the time and their job is what makes them act that way. when they see someone as weak they pounce, lets face it if you had been doing parkour with someone 30 or older the handcuffs would have never some out.

Offline TraceuseDS

• Patas
  • Carolyn (Carrie) S.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 12, 2008, 12:56:25 PM »
This same thing happened to me and some friends a while back same situation, but luckily i talked the cop down pretty quickly. Point being Cops are Angry, mean, spiteful people most of the time and their job is what makes them act that way. when they see someone as weak they pounce, lets face it if you had been doing parkour with someone 30 or older the handcuffs would have never some out.

Whoa. I have a big problem with this statement. Just because some cops can act stupid doesn't mean that ALL of them are "angry, mean, spiteful people." Making generalizations like that about a group of people is like saying that parkour is a thrill-seeker's sport, and that only stupid adrenaline junkies do it. So let's not go there.

It sucks that this cop acted rudely and irrationally. He was definitely acting out of line. It really sucks that something like that happened to Entity, and to other people on this thread. However, there are also a lot of cops who aren't like this. Most of the law enforcement-types I've been in contact with have actually been pretty OK people, and they've been willing to listen as long as everyone stays respectful.

Entity, it sounds like you've got your head on straight and you're doing the right thing. Don't let the one idiot cop bother you too much. :)
Just take the next step.A day without a challenge is a wasted day.

Offline Patrick Yang

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Outrunner
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 12, 2008, 02:25:56 PM »
I've got to agree with TraceuseDS.  Parkour Austin has had the good fortune of enjoying a good relationship with the University of Texas PD.  More than once, we've had officers come by, make sure we're not skating, and stick around to watch for a while.  One of them even asked us to help with a rash of bike thefts they'd had recently!  Of course, there are the cops who are angry, mean, and spiteful, but run-ins with them are few and far between, in my experience.
Training log.
Train hard, eat smart, and act with honor.

Offline Alec Furtado

• kicks butt.
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Balance.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 12, 2008, 06:06:48 PM »
a little rude
Definitely seemed like a little more than that... my school Peace and Justice class (it's required) says ignoring it is giving your approval for it. They call it tacit approval (random but I thought I'd put that out there lol). Other than that, it just doesn't seem like something you just let go... you stand up against crap like that.

If someone parks in my spot, I write them a little note that says "Hey, I could've towed you, pay me 10$ (instead of 150$) or next time I'll call it in =P" and stick it on their windshield. So far I've made 30$, and saved 3 people 140$. It's all about attitude....  :P
That's just awesome ahahaha.
Water conforms to the shape of it's surroundings. Do not be water. Shape your own life.

Offline Jackson Miller

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Formerly Entity
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 13, 2008, 01:05:03 AM »
EDIT-

Wow, sorry, wrong thread.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2008, 08:47:29 PM by Entity »

smokin ace

« Reply #50 on: November 13, 2008, 07:59:55 PM »
Yes, I also agree with Animus. Since when were people not allowed to just exercise? Unwarranted searching is not legal. Do you think you can still find and sue him?
Although I never had this type of experience with Policemen, I can understand that some of them are jerks. Some do not understand the law and think they can do whatever they want to abuse the common people.

the guy was probably a fat a-hole, thats why he wouldnt allow excercise. =P

Offline Justlaxin

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • Craig Mac
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 14, 2008, 08:56:08 AM »
Yes, I also agree with Animus. Since when were people not allowed to just exercise? Unwarranted searching is not legal. Do you think you can still find and sue him?
Although I never had this type of experience with Policemen, I can understand that some of them are jerks. Some do not understand the law and think they can do whatever they want to abuse the common people.

See, this is what i hate, people always are saying that the police are jerks, but it's their job to be cautious. I mean what if he stopped a kid running up wall and he HAD pulled a gun on him? What would you think then? Also, and job or group will have some jerks in it but that doesn't mean they are all mean people who abuse the law. Lastly, for the police ALL understand the law, it's a REQUIREMENT to be an officer and they ARE the common people too, they just have nice shiny badges.

Offline Sat Santokh

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Don't think with your balls, think with your brain
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 14, 2008, 03:17:18 PM »
I would strongly discourage you from mentioning parkour.  Simply because they can't really ban it as easily if you don't give them a name for it.  As for explaining what you were doing, say you saw a video clip on the internet that showed a tutorial for a type of exercise

smokin ace

« Reply #53 on: November 20, 2008, 05:01:12 PM »

See, this is what i hate, people always are saying that the police are jerks, but it's their job to be cautious. I mean what if he stopped a kid running up wall and he HAD pulled a gun on him? What would you think then? Also, and job or group will have some jerks in it but that doesn't mean they are all mean people who abuse the law. Lastly, for the police ALL understand the law, it's a REQUIREMENT to be an officer and they ARE the common people too, they just have nice shiny badges.

Thats true man, and i would think most of the people here would agree with you, but as he stated, he didnt whip out a gun, or do/say anything offensive. Yet he remained handcuffed for the duration of the time, AND the officer called in to the station. now, that is true they are trying to be cautious and yes it is there job, but you would think they could do it with a little more respect. unless he did pull out a gun. in which case he could nail him.

Offline bigninjapimp

• Hirundo Rustica
  • BNP
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 21, 2008, 08:25:09 AM »
« Last Edit: November 21, 2008, 08:28:57 AM by Max'BNP'Calder »

Offline Braden S. Cutajar

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 21, 2008, 08:52:51 AM »
Hey bro, I had an experience that parallels yours. Except instead of one officer, the whole town police force showed up.

I was out with my club and we were practicing tic tacs at this parking garage. An officer drove by but we weren't doing anything wrong so we kept at it. He came back about a minute later with these huge lights and a speakerphone telling everyone to stop. Eventually 5 more police cars showed up, they kept telling us that we shouldn't be drunk, we shouldn't be trying to hurt ourselves or imitate Jackass, that it wasn't funny. I tried to calm the officers down and tell them what we were doing but they thought we were just reckless teenagers jumping off stuff. They then lined us up, made us take out our ids, individually checked us each, pat downs and all. AFter about an hour, they told us that we were trespassing (in a public garage?) and that we would get a minimum of 1 year in jail, plus fines and charges, and we can never come back to this spot.

I was pretty calm the whole time but mannnnn I felt sorry for the rest of the people in my group who had only been practicing for under a year. They were completely scared and freaked out.

The story ended with us leaving, the cops never called any of us, the parking garage owner was never notified that we were there (we apologized but he said it was cool, he enjoyed watching us and invited us back!!), and cops were just labeled as jerks =(

It sucked because I've bumped into the police at my town enough to be on a name-basis with them, they think what we do is pretty cool as long as we keep safe and don't destroy anything. NONE of those cops showed up that night... ahh well..... so don't worry too much about it and don't let it affect your training. Just try to befriend the cops before anything happens! I usually call them ahead of time letting them know where we are jamming and they're fine with it. Eventually I didn't have to call anymore cause they knew who we were, and now the club here can pretty much go around wherever and be fine  ;D

At least that was a happy ending. ;)

Offline Raymund aka Datwin

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • N.N.B.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 21, 2008, 05:21:56 PM »
i say Report His A@@! That was way too much for nothing. Even for genuine trespassing thats still 2 far!
Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body. >: (
A little ROTC phrase that I got; ROTC I love it!

Offline Spencer B

• the Romantic
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • ...*BANG*...
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 21, 2008, 07:39:40 PM »
it's only about 15% of the total general population that are DB's like that, but then you got to watch out for the 55% that will just follow along with something, even if they know it's wrong, simply 'cause they don't know what else to do. <---(There's more to it in most cases, but this the main reason.)

Then the remaining 30% of the population can be broken down into several more groups with traceurs/other disciplined people coming in at about 0.2-0.6% of the population, close behind the whopping 1% that are psychopaths.

Phew... Point is don't let it bug you, because while DB's like him very ften do make it far in life; Power, money, etc. They will NEVER[/b] reach any level of self-fulfillment, even close to what we achieve every day.
www.cracked.com
www.tvtropes.org

There are times when you want to break down and rage at the heavens. Don't. Stay calm, and let the emotions flood in, accept them and then rise above them. Never dwell. Don't fear or worry. Anything worth thinking about is worth talking about. And... Good luck.

Offline Muhammad

• Hirundo Rustica
  • London, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 21, 2008, 09:35:24 PM »
Maybe you should watch this educational video on how to survive a police enounter..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqMjMPlXzdA

Offline Jackson Miller

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Formerly Entity
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 21, 2008, 10:25:36 PM »
Ok so I had a meeting with the dean and basically this is going nowhere.  She said that the police here have to follow those procedures because we live in bad times and you can't be too careful.  She said as long as he didn't physically abuse us it seems as though he was doing what he was supposed to do though she understood where I was coming from.  She said that they have to take every precaution necessary.  Basically this is because it is a community college.  She makes it sound like police everywhere will be like this and will not just roll up and ask what we are doing.  Well she is wrong.  It is because I chose to go to this stupid place first.  I am mad and I really despise a lot of things about my school now.  The dean said this is not a place for hanging out or having fun (community building and making friends basically).  I was under the impression that that was what colleges are for, even community colleges.  We have a student government and activities etc.  Oh well.  This place sucks anyways.  I will make the best of it and get to UCLA, USC, Chapman or wherever ASAP.  I may follow this up a bit more but i may just let it go because the dean was sympathetic and decided to shred the police report so that I have no discipline record.  Frankly I can't believe there would have even been a chance I would get something like that here.  This wouldn't have happened if I was at a four year I am pretty sure.  Well yeah.  Thanks for the support guys.  I may follow up a bit more and If I do I'll keep everyone updated.