Author Topic: Freerunning: Andrew Dangerously  (Read 13469 times)

Offline Adam McC

• Delicious
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Level 1 Sexability Certified
    • View Profile
    • Lehigh Valley Parkour
Re: Freerunning: Andrew Dangerously
« Reply #40 on: November 08, 2008, 11:06:53 AM »
Sponsors find you when your skills are good. You don't adapt your skills to finding sponsors.

Sound like a familiar phrase anyone?

•Lehigh Valley Parkour Community Founder
•Level 1 A.D.A.P.T. Certified
•Urban Current Member

Offline Matt Carter

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 08, 2008, 11:09:34 AM »
hahahahahahahaha

Offline Jabari "Saintsun" Allen

• Guenons
  • And as we let our own light shine...
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 08, 2008, 11:13:52 AM »
I'm missing a joke :(
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate.
Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.
It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us.

Offline Julian Vazquez (954-FR)

• Guenons
  • Jump Higher, Spin Faster
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 08, 2008, 02:31:45 PM »
Julian, getting sponsored won't solve all your problems.

You don't need a 'fanbase'. This is probably the worst reason you mentioned - do you seriously train freerunning for admirers? You're missing the entire point of freerunning if that's your goal. You don't need to do things first on 'stone cold concrete'. It's called GRASS, it grows everywhere. I'm also positive there's DIRT somewhere around you. You don't need to train in some fancy gym to learn. I taught myself from scratch outside in my backyard with nothing but videos to watch how other people did it, then trying it myself. Tons of people learn this way. Why would you go through the pain of trying it on concrete first? That just doesn't make sense. Then you toss in the bit about if you mess up, it could mean death? Seriously? There are SO many things that could result in death, but if you're looking at your training that way, you really need to reconsider what you're doing. You don't need to use 'piece of crap shoes from Freshman' year, get a job for ONE day and make 30 bucks, sell lemonade or something, and you can afford a pair of trainers.

Things sponsorship MIGHT get you:
- Some free shoes
- A few T-shirts or some pants
- Maybe the opportunity to work at some show, once or twice.

And those are big MAYBES.

I applaud you for your training, at least your going out there and trying new things and improving yourself. That's the way it should be done. That's what you should be trying to do. You're goals should be strength, power, control, fluidity, grace, and most important of all, a focused will that lets you do what you want to do.

If those aren't your goals, your not a freerunner. You're just a trickster trying to look cool. I'm not trying to push you from your dreams but like I said, being sponsored shouldn't be your main goal. If you train hard and passively search for it, it'll find you. Instead try to focus on the things I mentioned above because they'll help you out not just in your movement but in your life. Freerunning is a DISCIPLINE, its not a show off fest. You can follow your own path and have your own style - your encouraged to do that - but putting yourself in danger on purpose and seeking the 'luxurious' life of sponsorship is NOT a freerunning path, it's a destructive one.

Maybe I should re-arrange my priorities, but Im still not gonna stop trying to get sponsored, or known.
My main goal isnt so much to get sponsored, but to get better.

I figured if I got sponsored by like a gym or something, they'd let me train there, or a shoe company, they'd send me a pair of shoes of theirs to wear, both would help me get better.

So why not make it an important goal to get sponsored?
Im not gonna progress if I try a wall frontflip for the first time on GRASS, under rotate, and break my teeth.

Or if I try a tic tac over a fence, but slip halfway cuz my shoes dont grip, and fracture my ribs on the top of the fence.

And those three "maybes" you listed, cant hurt.
Im not seeking the "luxurious life of sponsorship" as you may think I am, Im trying to get sponsored in the hopes that it will better me as a Freerunner and Traceur. If I ever do get sponsored, and it doesn't help me progress at all, well then I guess you'll be right and Ill be wrong, in which case I wont be surprised, after what you just told me.

Ill have to find another creative solution to try and better myself.
I know it was real easy to base a judgement on me as a Traceur and as a person based on my last post, and I blame myself for that, but theres more to it than what you may have inferred based my response.

And I appreciate the advice, at least you were honest with it.

Offline 'Knox'

• Global Moderator
  • Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 08, 2008, 02:34:24 PM »
im am Dr. DB and i have a 2 inch wee wee

ok so i thought i was done but im not, when i saw the douche of the universe award it was pretty funny and so i went to that old post and read the whole thing. and i must say that i love how you, Dr. Im A Douche Bag, wrote that you have the fastest growing and fastest progressing team in america, well think again, you dont!! im not putting your whole team down cause dan teel is pretty clean, but you have to be the biggest cock smootch ever. there are plenty of guys that train way harder than you and deserve sponsorships way more and are nice guys. one of the greatest things about pk/fr is that we all come together as a community with no hate and all love to try to help everyone out, but noone wants to help you out anymore cause youre an ass.

Offline Chris [.5gibbon] Stevenson!

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 08, 2008, 03:57:02 PM »
im in shock or something i think you two take the cake.   this is an honest suggestion, maybe you guys should try skateboarding or bmx or something a little more extreme.  you don't have the right mindset to be a traceur.     
"Be like water making its way through cracks.  Do not be assertive,  but adjust to the object, and you shall find a way around or through it." - Bruce Lee

"There are few things graven in stone, except that you have to squat or you're a pussy." -Mark Rippetoe

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 08, 2008, 05:09:06 PM »
you don't have the right mindset to be a traceur.     
Im working on it.
Thats why im here.

I mean dude, if you guys dont want me here Ill leave...
Ill just keep taking my own approach towards freerunning...

But if not, then theres no reason to crucify me for not falling into your standards, Im new to freerunning as a discipline, I always looked at it as an extreme sport, much LIKE skateboarding and BMX, both of which I have a history with. I got into it without the awareness of what its globally looked at as, I saw it as something I could get good at and enjoy and get a thrill out of.

You guys talk about how wrong my views are, how dangerous my perspective is, and implying through what your saying that its guys like me who give freerunning a bad name, just stop sitting here and criticizing me for it.

I came to this forum for support, advice, and to try and give what I can to the PK/FR community and now Im getting nailed for telling you guys the differences I see between FR and PK, for wanting to be sponsored, and thinking it'll help me get better.

I mean Im not sitting here and downright disrespecting anyone, or cursing at other members, Im just voicing my thoughts, and getting hated on by everyone for it.

So I have the wrong mindset, Im training improperly, maybe I expect too much out of too little in terms of where my skill is at and how I want to be looked at, so give me the chance to learn.

Im open to advice, Im sure 99% of you are all highly more experienced than I or any of the members of my team, and I respect you for it,  but its a little hard to learn from you, and get better, and have the ability to present PK and FR to people who I may run into when your so quick to dismiss someone like me who has different views, training methods, and judgement.

Leon suggested I focus more and power, and movement, and fluidity and grace, and a focused will, and I appreciated it, I didn't tell him off and say my way is better, or tell him he has no idea what hes talking about, because I know as well as you (though u may not think so) thats its quite the opposite.

So its really a little uncool to just dismiss me like that, I know your more experienced than I am, and more skilled, but dont just wave me off, and tell me PK isnt for me based on like 3 posts of me spouting my views based on what little I know, which is 90% improper anyway.

Offline Adam McC

• Delicious
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Level 1 Sexability Certified
    • View Profile
    • Lehigh Valley Parkour
« Reply #47 on: November 08, 2008, 07:01:44 PM »
It is not because of your mindset and beliefs that people are being negative, my friend. It's because you defended them :)

•Lehigh Valley Parkour Community Founder
•Level 1 A.D.A.P.T. Certified
•Urban Current Member

Offline Eli Kurtz

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Excelsior
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 09, 2008, 03:41:16 PM »
What he said

Just wanted to say a few things.  First, let's remember the rules, everyone:

Quote from: Rules
The first rule Will be the golden rule, treat people with respect and as you would like to be treated.

The second rule will be see rule #1.

The fourth rule will be that people using offensive language (direct at someone, not just the occasional cussword) will be warned, and if necessary banned temporarily and then permanently.

Play nice and we won't have any problems. Speak your mind, but do it with respect and dignity.

Anyway, the point is this, use common courtesy and common sense in your posts, and chances are you'll never even be "moderated". There is however a method which every member of the community can use if there is an offensive, spam, or otherwise questionable post. In the corner of each topic is a "report to moderator" button.

How many people have broken these rules while talking to either Dr. Unoriginal or Julian?  You can't fight fire with fire, so saying "he talked that way first" isn't really any excuse for you to be doing the same thing.  Let's bring the respect back into this conversation, guys.

Now Julian, I'd like to ask you a question, but please don't put the wrong emotional emphasis on it because this is the internet and things can be taken wrong much more easily here than in person; I just want to help you out.  Did David Belle get better by getting sponsored?  From what little I know of David Belle, I think he grew up in a lower-class family, and yet now he's got a lot going for him, and I don't think anyone even thought of paying him to do parkour until he had been doing it for at least 15 years (somebody correct me if I'm wrong). 

Yes, there are different ways to approach every obstacle, but I think trying to get sponsored so you can get access to a gym or get new shoes isn't the best way to get over the obstacle of not having either.  I think most people (David Belle included) go out and get a job when they want something that costs money, and I think getting a job is going to get you your shoes or your gym membership a lot faster than trying to get sponsored.  Personally I think about phrases like "the traceur makes the shoes; the shoes don't make the traceur," which makes me think that shoes are not the foundation of your problems anyway, but if you think they will help you the only way to find out is to get new shoes and try it out.

Here are the solutions I see to your training (bear in mind that I've never seen a video of you, so I don't know how good you are):

1) Train like you have been with crappy stuff and no gym, progressing slowly (and probably poorly) towards the skill level you'll need to be at to get sponsored.  Then continue training and continue getting better slowly, until the unlikely event of someone in your area wanting to sponsor a traceur happens.  Remember, if it's a big company you're looking for, then they could just as easily sponsor someone from the Tribe or the APK Alliance, because their consideration isn't limited to your local area.  In this case, you probably won't be able to get shoes, because I can't think of any shoe companies that operate only on a local scale, not to mention shoe companies that small that would make decent parkour shoes.

2) You buckle down and get a job.  Yes, at first you might lose out on some training time, but hear me out.  you get a job, work 20 hours per week (totally not unreasonable) and at the current minimum wage ($6.55/hr) you'll make $131 per week.  Let's be liberal and say that, after taxes, you make $100 per week.  If you don't have a job now then you're probably not spending any much money to begin with, so in your first week of working you'll be able to pay for a pair of Ariakes.  In your second week, you could easily sign up for a gym, and continue to pay that monthly fee with a "probably small" chunk of the $400 you'll be making every month. 

Once you've got what you want, you can take your training seriously and slowly, which would be most effective by reading absolutely everything you can about training for parkour here on the site (that's why you joined, right?  To learn and get feedback?) and train as perfectly as you can.  You might feel like you're going slower, but if you take things slow and master each move individually (I mean starting with landing, at the very basics), then you'll do a few things.  A)  You'll take care of your body so you can do parkour for as long as you want, and B) you will make all of your movements look SO MUCH better, which will make you more attractive to any potential sponsors.

Eventually (probably in as much time or less as it would take using option (1)), you might get sponsored, but you'll do it safer, more effectively, and more beautifully than you would otherwise.  It's up to you at the end of the day, but I hope for the sake of the image you'll be presenting for the entire parkour community that you make the right decision.

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 09, 2008, 04:33:55 PM »
What he said

Just wanted to say a few things.  First, let's remember the rules, everyone:

Quote from: Rules
The first rule Will be the golden rule, treat people with respect and as you would like to be treated.

The second rule will be see rule #1.

The fourth rule will be that people using offensive language (direct at someone, not just the occasional cussword) will be warned, and if necessary banned temporarily and then permanently.

Play nice and we won't have any problems. Speak your mind, but do it with respect and dignity.

Anyway, the point is this, use common courtesy and common sense in your posts, and chances are you'll never even be "moderated". There is however a method which every member of the community can use if there is an offensive, spam, or otherwise questionable post. In the corner of each topic is a "report to moderator" button.

How many people have broken these rules while talking to either Dr. Unoriginal or Julian?  You can't fight fire with fire, so saying "he talked that way first" isn't really any excuse for you to be doing the same thing.  Let's bring the respect back into this conversation, guys.

Now Julian, I'd like to ask you a question, but please don't put the wrong emotional emphasis on it because this is the internet and things can be taken wrong much more easily here than in person; I just want to help you out.  Did David Belle get better by getting sponsored?  From what little I know of David Belle, I think he grew up in a lower-class family, and yet now he's got a lot going for him, and I don't think anyone even thought of paying him to do parkour until he had been doing it for at least 15 years (somebody correct me if I'm wrong). 

Yes, there are different ways to approach every obstacle, but I think trying to get sponsored so you can get access to a gym or get new shoes isn't the best way to get over the obstacle of not having either.  I think most people (David Belle included) go out and get a job when they want something that costs money, and I think getting a job is going to get you your shoes or your gym membership a lot faster than trying to get sponsored.  Personally I think about phrases like "the traceur makes the shoes; the shoes don't make the traceur," which makes me think that shoes are not the foundation of your problems anyway, but if you think they will help you the only way to find out is to get new shoes and try it out.

Here are the solutions I see to your training (bear in mind that I've never seen a video of you, so I don't know how good you are):

1) Train like you have been with crappy stuff and no gym, progressing slowly (and probably poorly) towards the skill level you'll need to be at to get sponsored.  Then continue training and continue getting better slowly, until the unlikely event of someone in your area wanting to sponsor a traceur happens.  Remember, if it's a big company you're looking for, then they could just as easily sponsor someone from the Tribe or the APK Alliance, because their consideration isn't limited to your local area.  In this case, you probably won't be able to get shoes, because I can't think of any shoe companies that operate only on a local scale, not to mention shoe companies that small that would make decent parkour shoes.

2) You buckle down and get a job.  Yes, at first you might lose out on some training time, but hear me out.  you get a job, work 20 hours per week (totally not unreasonable) and at the current minimum wage ($6.55/hr) you'll make $131 per week.  Let's be liberal and say that, after taxes, you make $100 per week.  If you don't have a job now then you're probably not spending any much money to begin with, so in your first week of working you'll be able to pay for a pair of Ariakes.  In your second week, you could easily sign up for a gym, and continue to pay that monthly fee with a "probably small" chunk of the $400 you'll be making every month. 

Once you've got what you want, you can take your training seriously and slowly, which would be most effective by reading absolutely everything you can about training for parkour here on the site (that's why you joined, right?  To learn and get feedback?) and train as perfectly as you can.  You might feel like you're going slower, but if you take things slow and master each move individually (I mean starting with landing, at the very basics), then you'll do a few things.  A)  You'll take care of your body so you can do parkour for as long as you want, and B) you will make all of your movements look SO MUCH better, which will make you more attractive to any potential sponsors.

Eventually (probably in as much time or less as it would take using option (1)), you might get sponsored, but you'll do it safer, more effectively, and more beautifully than you would otherwise.  It's up to you at the end of the day, but I hope for the sake of the image you'll be presenting for the entire parkour community that you make the right decision.
(+1)

I work at Char - Hut.
Long story short, I just started working again 1 week ago after my broken foot healed (took 6 weeks to heal). Broke my foot a month and a half after getting into PK, and Im just now starting to get to the point where better shoes and a gym would help me keep progressing at the rate I am now.

Heres a vid from a few days before I broke my foot:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5XZqtf4FXo

Its just me doing a 2 step.
Shot a new video yesterday with my team (we're up to 5 members now) which assuming all things go well should be up by the end of the week. I look like crap in it though, cuz Im taking things EXTREMELY easy with my foot, its still in a delicate state.

That being said I appreciate the advice you and everyone else (be it not so nice, or very friendly) has given me, I took some time to think about it, and after coming to a few realizations and getting punched in teeth by reality, I found PK more enjoyable and less stressful with the thoughts and pressures of thinking I had to be sponsored to get better out of my head  :)

And Im lucky to get 8 hours a week after coming back from such an extended absence, Im on probation for 3 months PLUS a write up.
Not like Police probation, but job probation.

So I figure if I save up for like a month I can get a pair of Alien glows, work on some light basic stuff to catch back up to where I was pre-injury, and by the time Im back up and moving well again, Ill have enough saved up to get a super duper everything gold package gym membership to any gym I want, and  still be able to take the bus to a gymnastics center (which I still haven't found yet) and get into some open sessions at least 5 times a week  :)

Offline 'Knox'

• Global Moderator
  • Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 09, 2008, 08:22:00 PM »

I work at Char - Hut.
Long story short, I just started working again 1 week ago after my broken foot healed (took 6 weeks to heal). Broke my foot a month and a half after getting into PK, and Im just now starting to get to the point where better shoes and a gym would help me keep progressing at the rate I am now.

Heres a vid from a few days before I broke my foot:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5XZqtf4FXo

Its just me doing a 2 step.
Shot a new video yesterday with my team (we're up to 5 members now) which assuming all things go well should be up by the end of the week. I look like crap in it though, cuz Im taking things EXTREMELY easy with my foot, its still in a delicate state.

That being said I appreciate the advice you and everyone else (be it not so nice, or very friendly) has given me, I took some time to think about it, and after coming to a few realizations and getting punched in teeth by reality, I found PK more enjoyable and less stressful with the thoughts and pressures of thinking I had to be sponsored to get better out of my head  :)

And Im lucky to get 8 hours a week after coming back from such an extended absence, Im on probation for 3 months PLUS a write up.
Not like Police probation, but job probation.

So I figure if I save up for like a month I can get a pair of Alien glows, work on some light basic stuff to catch back up to where I was pre-injury, and by the time Im back up and moving well again, Ill have enough saved up to get a super duper everything gold package gym membership to any gym I want, and  still be able to take the bus to a gymnastics center (which I still haven't found yet) and get into some open sessions at least 5 times a week  :)

i am so happy right now we have converted julian woot woot! i would like to thank you for taking the time to listen to everyone i know it was extremely harsh at times but we all gave our input for the better (well for your 'better' lol).  one thing i would like to point out is that you said that you didn't feel any stress now that you aren't thinking about a sponsorship, well you should never feel stress from doing this so i am glad you were able to see the enjoyment that all of us get out of it. i honestly feel like you have become one of us through this rough experience.

now onto the more important issues...

i saw your video the other day, nice flip. i would like to critique a little. for one i really really loved the arch and extension of your back but because you didn't get much height, you had to stop that beautiful extension to bring your feet down for the landing. that being said i also really didn't see the push from the second foot. if you are getting the same height on a regular wall flip as your are when you do a 2 step, then you are doing the 2 step wrong...the 2 step should be higher!!! this next comment isn't for showing you up or anything, im just trying to give you a perspective... my regular wall flip is higher than your two step. if you listen to what i am telling you i guarantee you that you will be able to do a much higher wall flip giving you much more extension/layout time and it will make it look much less rushed and a bigger movement. bigger movement=better looking!!! so instead of just doing a wall flip and then touching your other foot to the wall, you need to sort of run up the wall like a wall run with the first foot (your height) and then push out with your second step (with the height from the first step this will push you out much further = bigger movement). now on to just your regular 1 step wall flip, throw your arms up to give you more height.

now the one thing i am concerned about is that ledge above your head. find a brick wall with a grassy spot for the landing i dont want you getting too much height and hitting your head lol and if you fall its grass so its a little better than concrete. also if you dont have a gym yet try a mattress for a landing pad and if not that go with last resort...pillows lol. just protect your body as much as you can.

i am glad to see that you are getting everything situated and everything is going to turn out ok. do things the right way and you will become a great traceur.

Offline Jabari "Saintsun" Allen

• Guenons
  • And as we let our own light shine...
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 09, 2008, 10:53:13 PM »
That's hardly a two step. Not to be mean, just tryin to help out lol. You wanna actually use your second step to get height, like knoxfel already said.. Where' you're at there though you might not have enough room. What I usually do before a 2 step is first just run up the wall with 2 steps, no flipping. then go and do the 2 step wall flip, that way I'm sure to actually use that 2nd step. G'luck :D
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate.
Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.
It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us.

Offline Dr. Unoriginal

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 10, 2008, 12:34:09 AM »
When some dumbass comes along, talking about how you gotta put balls on the walls and just go for it, and don't bother conditioning cuz it gets you tired..... Guess what mature people in the world think. We are reckless daredevils. And it only takes one person like that to throw off what a hundred good traceurs are trying to say.
I gotta work on that, Im pretty reckless...

Thats how I broke my foot, after deciding to "quit being a bitch" (my exact words) and try a 3 step wall flip for the time ever on a wet brick wall, in the dark, on pavement...

With the wrong shoes. Without warming up.
Cuz I wanted the adrenaline high of landing it when it could've ended badly.

Bad juju...

Dude I don't know what it is with you guys sometimes.
It appears to me that your bragging, just in a very subtle way.
Being reckless with NEVER NEVER be glorified(at least on APK). 
Not trying to give you a hard time just a little annoyed.
hope you heal up fine  :)

So pretentious. so typical of APK members.

Offline Dr. Unoriginal

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 10, 2008, 12:39:50 AM »
Not trying to sound like Im bragging on purpose, but I understand what ur saying.
Emo kids tend to pull that crap "Oh I cut myself, my parents dont like me"

Like they're bragging.
Only this is with PK and stupidity.

And Im healed enough now to do some light PK, just gotta stay away from the flips and high drops.
Im shooting tommorow with my team, were making a video of just us training and whatnot, introducing ourselves, etc.

Put it on our youtube and send it to potential sponsors.
Ill post a link to it after we've shot it and Ive edited it all together - Im sure theres gonna be alot of constructive criticism I can use, and alot of critiquing on my skills that'll help my team and I.

Ill let u guys know when its up.

It wont be as good as Andrews vid, just cuz I dont take risks THAT big cuz Im not quite as good as him yet. But it wont be terrible.

since it seems there is no convincing andrew i might as well try to save one who will listen.

it shouldn't be about getting sponsored, honestly who gives a shit, i know plenty of people who aren't sponsored and are damn good. if you're not prepared mentally and physically to do pk/fr, you shouldn't try rush into things especially sponsorships. not to be cocky or anything but if you are saying that you look up to this guy and his team then i know for a fact that i could personally pwn sauce you guys in pk/fr and im not sponsored. its not about who's better or who got the best moves, its about having your own way and the best way is no way. be free and make yourself a better and stronger person. why would you want a sponsorship if you don't have much to show for it. most guys that are sponsored aren't sponsored because they want to tell people they are sponsored, they are sponsored because they are good enough to represent a company. just train hard and train safe and in time sponsors will come. to be honest dont look up to andrew, nothing against you andrew but noone should be training like you do. look up to him for his balls and whatever but dont be like i want to train like this guy so i can do all the things he can do. train the right way and you will be able to do more and be in better condition.
He's right. I am irresponsible and reckless. It happens to work for me.

I am lucky, and i do not train like most do or should. I have courage, but I am not dedicated, I do not fear pain but I do not avoid it.

Do not do what f#cking assholes on APK tell you to do. Do what works for you.

Offline Dr. Unoriginal

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 10, 2008, 12:42:44 AM »
I look up to him, team Vayne, and team Tranquil cuz they're the exact same thing me and my team are, only in another part of the country, and they've come really far (some of them ended up sponsored by fiveten) and made it to some pretty impressive places (cough cough Hamburg cough cough) and they're as good as we wanna be in a few months, and they've already hit all of our goals, fanbase or otherwise.

We dont wanna be spnsored just to say "oh, were sponsored freerunners" we NEED to be sponsored so we can get better.
Idk how you guys train, but we dont have the luxury of transportation, or gyms to train at, or nice gear to train IN, or anybody to teach us anything.

We try things for the first time on stone cold concrete because we have nowehere else.
I use piece of crap shoes from Freshman year wrestling season cuz I have nothing else.
We do what we do how we do it, because we KNOW nothing else.

That struck a nerve with me man, you make it sound like we wanna be sponsored for the glory of it or something.
We've gotten to the point now where the things were trying, because of the level of skill we're at, if we try them on concrete, and mess up, or even grass or sand, and mess up, it could be paralysis, death, or some serious injury.

So I kinda dont wanna sound like a d--- or anything man, I know your just trying to give some advice, and I appreciate that, but I think I deserve a little more credit than that :-\
I respect you, you are a f#cking champion. We don't all have gyms or shoes or bullshit like that. But not everyone needs that.

Keep it up, train hard and love what you do. That's all tht matters.

Offline Chris [.5gibbon] Stevenson!

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 10, 2008, 05:00:28 AM »
your silly ^     im supprised you have the nerve to say anyone but yourself is an Ahole after that post that won you douche of the universe.   its all good tho this goofy little phase of yours will pass or you will most likely quit like all the other people before you who tried you method.
"Be like water making its way through cracks.  Do not be assertive,  but adjust to the object, and you shall find a way around or through it." - Bruce Lee

"There are few things graven in stone, except that you have to squat or you're a pussy." -Mark Rippetoe

Offline Chris Kessler

• Mangabey
  • iJump
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 10, 2008, 07:22:17 AM »
*Sigh*

I've been lurking this thread for a while. I read every post. I was so happy to have made some ground with Julian who seems to be a mature guy, just a little stubborn at times (aren't we all). But, of course, it had to be ruined.

Dr. Unoriginal, you're probably a cool dude, not generally one to attack others, am I right? However something in this thread has hit a nerve with you. And that happens with all of us, it definitely happened to me when I first joined. But, what you have to take away with it is "These dudes are people on the internet I'll never meet, I might as well listen to what they're saying and not take offense." Taking offense at criticism is just unnecessary. Criticism is not a negative thing, it is truthful and needs to be taken at face value.

I won't critique your movements, there are others more qualified in that area (I dont do flips or anything), I just want you to know that no one had the INTENTION of attacking you. At least not until you "retaliated" against what was supposed to be healthy criticism. I've made this post as understanding as it can be to show you that APK is NOT full of pretentious people. In fact almost all of APK is just trying to help. Keep that in mind.

Like you yourself said, "Keep it up, train hard, and love what you do," but please, be safe man. No one wants anyone on this site to be hurt.
"We don't stop playing because we grow up. We grow up because we stop playing."
-Tim "Livewire" Shieff

Offline Travis Graves

• Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Primal Fitness
« Reply #57 on: November 10, 2008, 07:31:43 AM »
I haven't read every word of this thread, but I've read a most of it and I get the gist...

First off, no need for name-calling, grow up a little.

More importantly, everyone can do whatever they want but please don't mislabel it. If what you are doing is reckless jumping around with the intention of gaining recognition and attention and sponsorship call it street stunts, call it anything, just don't call it freerunning or parkour or L'art du Deplacement. Those terms (interchangeable as far as I'm concerned) refer to a specific way of training under a specific mindset with a specific goal. Doing street stunts and calling it parkour/freerunning/ADD is hurting the campaign of those of us who are trying to legitimize the sport and trying to get people to understand it is NOT reckless and dangerous.
Don't step to me with your stats and your date smarts

You know your neighborhood by street signs or landmarks?

Offline 'Knox'

• Global Moderator
  • Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 10, 2008, 09:08:05 AM »
youre a sexy beast travis!!!

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 10, 2008, 12:51:42 PM »

I've been lurking this thread for a while. I read every post. I was so happy to have made some ground with Julian who seems to be a mature guy, just a little stubborn at times (aren't we all). But, of course, it had to be ruined.

Dude ur like the millionth person to tell me that.
I dont see it.

But you definitely did get through to me. I plus oned you for it too.
You possibly saved me some serious injury that was BOUND to happen sometime soon...

As for Dr. Unorignal - ur a f---- beast bro. Respect right back, to the tenth power.