Author Topic: Freerunning: Andrew Dangerously  (Read 13464 times)

Offline Dr. Unoriginal

• Guenons
    • View Profile
Re: Freerunning: Andrew Dangerously
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2008, 08:08:10 PM »
I am NOT a typical freerunner. I would recommend recklessness, overconfidence or irresponsibility to anyone. But it always worked for me.

Why would you recommend those traits? That's just bad news bears  :( Fun video, work more on your control.... but that just takes time and careful practice to develop. It also helps if you've built up strength, so go ahead and start conditioning a few times a week , Mr. GQ ;) 

"I would NOT recommend recklessness, overconfidence or irresponsibility to anyone. But it always worked for me. "

lol I omitted a word.

I condition daily. I focus heavily on flexibility, and I can stretch in ways that will make you cringe. Strength training isn't something I am interested in. 

Offline Dr. Unoriginal

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2008, 08:13:41 PM »
I have respect for your confidence and determination, but some of that is just beyond working hard and into stupidity. If you love this so much, I recommend you take it down a notch so that you can continue to do this for the rest of your life. I care, even though I don't even know you. Do what you want with the advice.
Do you honestly think that I've been freerunning for almost 3 years without a single injury because of luck?

Offline Dr. Unoriginal

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2008, 08:14:18 PM »
try reading it... ::)
I read it a while ago, I respect his opinion but I'm not interested in it.

Offline Paul Leon Mederos

• Legend
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Simple Knowledge - Leon's Tumblr Blog
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2008, 08:17:45 PM »
Even if it's not your concern, and even if you can stretch in ways that could make me cringe, I was giving you some advice. If you had more strength you would be much more controlled, you would look much smoother, and everything would come out more naturally. It's not an opinion, it's just a fact that I gave you to help you out  :)
When we move, we move as one.

Act; for the universe will never forget your movement, nor will it ever forgive your stillness.

Offline Chris [.5gibbon] Stevenson!

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2008, 07:37:03 AM »
I have respect for your confidence and determination, but some of that is just beyond working hard and into stupidity. If you love this so much, I recommend you take it down a notch so that you can continue to do this for the rest of your life. I care, even though I don't even know you. Do what you want with the advice.
Do you honestly think that I've been freerunning for almost 3 years without a single injury because of luck?

yes.   fliping of stuff and not conditioning causes injuries.
"Be like water making its way through cracks.  Do not be assertive,  but adjust to the object, and you shall find a way around or through it." - Bruce Lee

"There are few things graven in stone, except that you have to squat or you're a pussy." -Mark Rippetoe

Offline Rockwell

• Mangabey
  • "There's alot that I don't know...."
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2008, 08:01:52 AM »
I condition daily. I focus heavily on flexibility, and I can stretch in ways that will make you cringe. Strength training isn't something I am interested in.

What?!?!
Why?
IMO strength training is a huge part of parkour and freerunning. Although you can do some sick flips, it doesn't mean sh*t if your body can't handle it.
It might FEEL like you can, but odds are unless your incredibly genetically gifted and started off crazy strong you can't.
Try strength training maybe just once a week for a few months. You'll see the difference  :)
I'm not trying to sound like an asshole, I'm just trying to help.
 :D  Good luck  :D 
What if you fail?
I won't.

"Dude how did you rip your pants?!?!?"
"Well when you travel at the speed of awesome...."

"Fast. Run Fast.Run so God damned fast. Why? Dreams don’t catch themselves."

Offline Dr. Unoriginal

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2008, 08:37:09 AM »

What?!?!
Why?
IMO strength training is a huge part of parkour and freerunning. Although you can do some sick flips, it doesn't mean sh*t if your body can't handle it.
It might FEEL like you can, but odds are unless your incredibly genetically gifted and started off crazy strong you can't.
Try strength training maybe just once a week for a few months. You'll see the difference  :)
I'm not trying to sound like an asshole, I'm just trying to help.
 :D  Good luck  :D 
You're right, I should try it. I lost interest in it because it makes me tired, then I don;t want to freerun. XP

Can you suggest a good training method? I have access to a full gym.

Offline Dr. Unoriginal

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2008, 08:38:45 AM »

yes.   fliping of stuff and not conditioning causes injuries.
I refuse to believe I've escaped injury because of luck given the level of intensity I perform at. I must be doing something right.

Offline Adam McC

• Delicious
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Level 1 Sexability Certified
    • View Profile
    • Lehigh Valley Parkour
« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2008, 09:44:54 AM »
Most injuries happen regardless. Injuries are nothing but luck. Bad luck. I sprained my ankle doing the same frontflip I've done 500 other times. Ozzi recently sprained his ankle landing normally on a pad in a gym. Most people here have gotten injuries due to some flat out rough luck. Slippery surfaces, loose rocks, distractions, the list of unforeseen reasons goes on. It's not like you can be so good that you never get injured. You can only be lucky. Yes, don't get me wrong, you can be smart, train safe, and lessen the chances of injury, but you can never fully control that, and any experienced person here will tell you that.

If you're not interested in strength training, then you've definitely never conditioned. Not the way you should.

Listen bro, a lot of people here are better than you. A lot better. And even if they aren't better in terms of skills, they have many more years of experience, or they have more knowledge. You don't come on this board to show off a video. That's what youtube is for. We are here to help each other. I post my videos so that I can get feedback from other people. That's one of the ways I learn, as a traceur, as a person, and even as a video editor. You're not gonna make friends here if you just defend yourself or brush off what people have to say, just because you don't agree at the time. People have solid advice to give here. Advice that you should listen to.

I'll be really frank here. People are reacting negatively on this topic because you are hurting us, as traceurs, and as freerunners. The mindset you live, and that other people have been exposed to, is extremely detrimental to the reputation of our art. The only way we can be accepted into society is if we show how what we do is controlled, as safe as anything else physical, that we are respectable people, and that what we do is something that a parent wouldn't be afraid to get their kid involved in. When some dumbass comes along, talking about how you gotta put balls on the walls and just go for it, and don't bother conditioning cuz it gets you tired..... Guess what mature people in the world think. We are reckless daredevils. And it only takes one person like that to throw off what a hundred good traceurs are trying to say.

Train however the hell you want. It's freerunning. But don't expect people here to appreciate what you do and give you praise. Because we care about more than our own skills, we care about how we affect the people around us.

•Lehigh Valley Parkour Community Founder
•Level 1 A.D.A.P.T. Certified
•Urban Current Member

Offline Eli Kurtz

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Excelsior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2008, 10:15:44 AM »
You're right, I should try it. I lost interest in it because it makes me tired, then I don;t want to freerun. XP

Can you suggest a good training method? I have access to a full gym.

Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe is just about perfect, and all you need is a power rack and a bench press.  You can also do the APK Workout of the Day on the main page, which is powered by CrossFit Training, which is certain to give you excellent nonspecialized conditioning no matter what your physical fitness.

Offline Julian Vazquez (954-FR)

• Guenons
  • Jump Higher, Spin Faster
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 07, 2008, 01:24:29 PM »
When some dumbass comes along, talking about how you gotta put balls on the walls and just go for it, and don't bother conditioning cuz it gets you tired..... Guess what mature people in the world think. We are reckless daredevils. And it only takes one person like that to throw off what a hundred good traceurs are trying to say.
I gotta work on that, Im pretty reckless...

Thats how I broke my foot, after deciding to "quit being a bitch" (my exact words) and try a 3 step wall flip for the time ever on a wet brick wall, in the dark, on pavement...

With the wrong shoes. Without warming up.
Cuz I wanted the adrenaline high of landing it when it could've ended badly.

Bad juju...

Offline Rockwell

• Mangabey
  • "There's alot that I don't know...."
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 07, 2008, 01:54:34 PM »
When some dumbass comes along, talking about how you gotta put balls on the walls and just go for it, and don't bother conditioning cuz it gets you tired..... Guess what mature people in the world think. We are reckless daredevils. And it only takes one person like that to throw off what a hundred good traceurs are trying to say.

Thats how I broke my foot, after deciding to "quit being a bitch" (my exact words) and try a 3 step wall flip for the time ever on a wet brick wall, in the dark, on pavement...

Bad juju...

Dude I don't know what it is with you guys sometimes.
It appears to me that your bragging, just in a very subtle way.
Being reckless with NEVER NEVER be glorified(at least on APK). 
Not trying to give you a hard time just a little annoyed.
hope you heal up fine  :)
What if you fail?
I won't.

"Dude how did you rip your pants?!?!?"
"Well when you travel at the speed of awesome...."

"Fast. Run Fast.Run so God damned fast. Why? Dreams don’t catch themselves."

Offline Jereme Sanders

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • American Parkour
« Reply #32 on: November 07, 2008, 02:43:02 PM »
Seems like you lack a lot of strength and technique. And while flexibility helps a lot and is probably neglected by a lot of people that train, I know I've neglected it recently, strength is whats going to help you progress once you come along technically. Your rolls seemed decent and fluidity stuff as well, otherwise just looked like a couple bad techniques, never heard he back flip break fall called a moonsault either, thats interesting haha. Though I say this you don't seem the type to take advice but I feel like potentially wasting my time right now so why not if it could helps someone. The way you are training now is fine if you only want to have your body age prematurely
"People may forget what you've done, or said, but they will never forget the way you made them feel."

The Best part of Falling Down is Getting Back Up...

Offline Cloud

• Ryan Cousins
  • Global Moderator
  • Mangabey
  • APK Alliance - TEAM N00B YEAH!
    • View Profile
    • Aero
« Reply #33 on: November 07, 2008, 04:02:56 PM »
Travis and I wrote an article this summer,  I think it would be beneficial to take a look at it.

http://www.americanparkour.com/content/view/2185/1/

There is also a whole forum with a wealth of knowledge for workouts, I'd start off with some of the sticky'ed posts at the top.  Steve Low is a great resource for questions.

Get with the flow...

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 07, 2008, 06:42:06 PM »

Bad juju...

Dude I don't know what it is with you guys sometimes.
It appears to me that your bragging, just in a very subtle way.
Being reckless with NEVER NEVER be glorified(at least on APK). 
Not trying to give you a hard time just a little annoyed.
hope you heal up fine  :)

Not trying to sound like Im bragging on purpose, but I understand what ur saying.
Emo kids tend to pull that crap "Oh I cut myself, my parents dont like me"

Like they're bragging.
Only this is with PK and stupidity.

And Im healed enough now to do some light PK, just gotta stay away from the flips and high drops.
Im shooting tommorow with my team, were making a video of just us training and whatnot, introducing ourselves, etc.

Put it on our youtube and send it to potential sponsors.
Ill post a link to it after we've shot it and Ive edited it all together - Im sure theres gonna be alot of constructive criticism I can use, and alot of critiquing on my skills that'll help my team and I.

Ill let u guys know when its up.

It wont be as good as Andrews vid, just cuz I dont take risks THAT big cuz Im not quite as good as him yet. But it wont be terrible.

Offline 'Knox'

• Global Moderator
  • Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 07, 2008, 08:41:59 PM »
Not trying to sound like Im bragging on purpose, but I understand what ur saying.
Emo kids tend to pull that crap "Oh I cut myself, my parents dont like me"

Like they're bragging.
Only this is with PK and stupidity.

And Im healed enough now to do some light PK, just gotta stay away from the flips and high drops.
Im shooting tommorow with my team, were making a video of just us training and whatnot, introducing ourselves, etc.

Put it on our youtube and send it to potential sponsors.
Ill post a link to it after we've shot it and Ive edited it all together - Im sure theres gonna be alot of constructive criticism I can use, and alot of critiquing on my skills that'll help my team and I.

Ill let u guys know when its up.

It wont be as good as Andrews vid, just cuz I dont take risks THAT big cuz Im not quite as good as him yet. But it wont be terrible.

since it seems there is no convincing andrew i might as well try to save one who will listen.

it shouldn't be about getting sponsored, honestly who gives a shit, i know plenty of people who aren't sponsored and are damn good. if you're not prepared mentally and physically to do pk/fr, you shouldn't try rush into things especially sponsorships. not to be cocky or anything but if you are saying that you look up to this guy and his team then i know for a fact that i could personally pwn sauce you guys in pk/fr and im not sponsored. its not about who's better or who got the best moves, its about having your own way and the best way is no way. be free and make yourself a better and stronger person. why would you want a sponsorship if you don't have much to show for it. most guys that are sponsored aren't sponsored because they want to tell people they are sponsored, they are sponsored because they are good enough to represent a company. just train hard and train safe and in time sponsors will come. to be honest dont look up to andrew, nothing against you andrew but noone should be training like you do. look up to him for his balls and whatever but dont be like i want to train like this guy so i can do all the things he can do. train the right way and you will be able to do more and be in better condition.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2008, 09:01:32 AM by knoxfel »

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 08, 2008, 04:26:10 AM »
I look up to him, team Vayne, and team Tranquil cuz they're the exact same thing me and my team are, only in another part of the country, and they've come really far (some of them ended up sponsored by fiveten) and made it to some pretty impressive places (cough cough Hamburg cough cough) and they're as good as we wanna be in a few months, and they've already hit all of our goals, fanbase or otherwise.

We dont wanna be spnsored just to say "oh, were sponsored freerunners" we NEED to be sponsored so we can get better.
Idk how you guys train, but we dont have the luxury of transportation, or gyms to train at, or nice gear to train IN, or anybody to teach us anything.

We try things for the first time on stone cold concrete because we have nowehere else.
I use piece of crap shoes from Freshman year wrestling season cuz I have nothing else.
We do what we do how we do it, because we KNOW nothing else.

That struck a nerve with me man, you make it sound like we wanna be sponsored for the glory of it or something.
We've gotten to the point now where the things were trying, because of the level of skill we're at, if we try them on concrete, and mess up, or even grass or sand, and mess up, it could be paralysis, death, or some serious injury.

So I kinda dont wanna sound like a d--- or anything man, I know your just trying to give some advice, and I appreciate that, but I think I deserve a little more credit than that :-\

Offline Paul Leon Mederos

• Legend
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Simple Knowledge - Leon's Tumblr Blog
« Reply #37 on: November 08, 2008, 08:24:30 AM »
Julian, getting sponsored won't solve all your problems.

You don't need a 'fanbase'. This is probably the worst reason you mentioned - do you seriously train freerunning for admirers? You're missing the entire point of freerunning if that's your goal. You don't need to do things first on 'stone cold concrete'. It's called GRASS, it grows everywhere. I'm also positive there's DIRT somewhere around you. You don't need to train in some fancy gym to learn. I taught myself from scratch outside in my backyard with nothing but videos to watch how other people did it, then trying it myself. Tons of people learn this way. Why would you go through the pain of trying it on concrete first? That just doesn't make sense. Then you toss in the bit about if you mess up, it could mean death? Seriously? There are SO many things that could result in death, but if you're looking at your training that way, you really need to reconsider what you're doing. You don't need to use 'piece of crap shoes from Freshman' year, get a job for ONE day and make 30 bucks, sell lemonade or something, and you can afford a pair of trainers.

Things sponsorship MIGHT get you:
- Some free shoes
- A few T-shirts or some pants
- Maybe the opportunity to work at some show, once or twice.

And those are big MAYBES.

I applaud you for your training, at least your going out there and trying new things and improving yourself. That's the way it should be done. That's what you should be trying to do. You're goals should be strength, power, control, fluidity, grace, and most important of all, a focused will that lets you do what you want to do.

If those aren't your goals, your not a freerunner. You're just a trickster trying to look cool. I'm not trying to push you from your dreams but like I said, being sponsored shouldn't be your main goal. If you train hard and passively search for it, it'll find you. Instead try to focus on the things I mentioned above because they'll help you out not just in your movement but in your life. Freerunning is a DISCIPLINE, its not a show off fest. You can follow your own path and have your own style - your encouraged to do that - but putting yourself in danger on purpose and seeking the 'luxurious' life of sponsorship is NOT a freerunning path, it's a destructive one.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2008, 08:27:34 AM by LeoNn »
When we move, we move as one.

Act; for the universe will never forget your movement, nor will it ever forgive your stillness.

Offline bigninjapimp

• Hirundo Rustica
  • BNP
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 08, 2008, 09:13:35 AM »
OMG It's the biggest Douche of the Universe!!! Can I havs your autographs?!!?!

http://assholeeee.ytmnd.com/

Offline Jabari "Saintsun" Allen

• Guenons
  • And as we let our own light shine...
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 08, 2008, 10:25:48 AM »
We dont wanna be spnsored just to say "oh, were sponsored freerunners" we NEED to be sponsored so we can get better.

I have so much other stuff to say, but I'm just too lazy. I HAVE to retort to what you said there though. It made me wince. You have it backwards, brotha. "You NEED to get better so you can be sponsored" I don't even like saying that, but just in your case, from your viewpoint that's what you mean. Sponsorships do not magically increase your skill, it is SOLELY your duty, responsibility, and choice to increase your skill. Parkour/Freerunning isn't a competition or a team sport, it's about you and your body; personal progression. I would like to get sponsored too, but I hardly ever use that as my goal to get better. I train to train, I freerun to freerun. I will get better, and if it's meant to be I will get noticed, if not oh well, I will STILL be just as good.  You don't need a sponsorship for anything pertaining to your skills, that is ALL on YOU, don't try and make excuses. LeoNn said why you don't need the other things too.

Oh yea I cracked up at the Douche of the Universe :P
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate.
Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.
It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us.