Author Topic: Realization during training  (Read 3060 times)

Offline Eli Kurtz

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Excelsior
    • View Profile
Realization during training
« on: November 04, 2008, 12:23:13 PM »
Everyone's heard the phrase "The difference between parkour and freerunning is not your problem.  Go out and train," and I agree with it, but it's still fun to talk about the little realizations when we try to do just that.

I was watching some new videos last night, then I went out to train and thought about one of the tricks I saw.  I don't know it's name, but it's basically a lazy vault, except half way through you sit on the bar, then swing your legs around and end up on the same side of the bar on which you started.  It's hard to explain, but that's not the point.  I tried it really slowly on a ledge on campus, and felt how difficult it was to maintain my momentum and balance at the same time.  That's when I realized something: everything can be useful.

Let's assume for the sake of this story that parkour is in fact about being efficient and useful in an emergency, and if you're not being efficient then you're not doing parkour.  What that also implies is that if you're not in an emergency situation (or imagining one) then you're still not doing parkour.  Whatever, let's move on.  When you do things during training of any kind, you're still developing skill in a given area.  That move I explained earlier has no efficient application that I can think of, but by practicing it you're still developing your balance and coordination.  By doing this, eventually you'll have enough balance and coordination easier.

After realizing this, I thought back to a Daniel Ilabaca video I saw a few weeks ago, where he does a kong into a gainer.  I can't imagine how phenomenally difficult that must be, but in an emergency situation it probably wouldn't be very useful.  However, it can still be useful to practice, because he's still developing something.  By practicing that kong to gainer and mastering the fear of that situation, he's now at a place where just doing a kong from an obstacle like that must be a complete cake walk for him.  It's probably second nature to him.  If it's second nature, then in an emergency situation he wouldn't have to think about a normal kong at all, which is good because he'd probably be a little preoccupied by the emergency in question.  So you see, by practicing that more complicated move over and over again, he may have helped himself out when it comes to parkour as some people define it.  If people tend to consider parkour as being efficient, then you can still do tricks in your training and it can still be considered useful.

It's cool to learn stuff like this.  I don't think by any means that this is the end of the road, or even that I'm close to understanding the nature of our movement, but I'm certainly a little closer, and that's pretty cool.

Offline RM

• Guenons
    • View Profile
Re: Realization during training
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2008, 12:26:27 PM »
I agree with you completely, but when will you be in an extreme emergency and need parkour?

Also, can you post the video with that trick?
No matter where you go, there you are.

Offline Ozzi

• Sexability Head Coach
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • HIpk
    • View Profile
    • Hawaii Parkour
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2008, 01:15:54 PM »
I think you are talking about a lazy sit.
"Be the change you want to see in the world"
 Ghandi

Offline Grant (LOTRFreak993)

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2008, 01:22:09 PM »
Here is my training in the rain video where I have some progression and repetiotion of the lazy sit. i start doing this at 2:20.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l01QYO2R2b4

Offline Shae Perkins

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Texas tough
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2008, 01:57:19 PM »
I think you are talking about a lazy sit.

I thought he was talking about a buttspin..?

Anyways Eli- this is exactly how I see. Learn your body and your body's potential to improve in everything!
This post was based off of my personal gatherings. Enjoy:)

Offline Eli Kurtz

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Excelsior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2008, 02:49:19 PM »
Yeah!  It was the lazy sit.  Thanks for the suggestion Ozzi, and thanks for the video LOTR (I really enjoyed it when it came out, btw).

Offline Dalton A

• Guenons
  • Call me Dalton, D, or Tage
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2008, 02:53:21 PM »
Wow, cool point there.  I had never thought of it that way.  +1

Offline Julian Vazquez (954-FR)

• Guenons
  • Jump Higher, Spin Faster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2008, 05:14:49 PM »
First time I saw one of those was when Justin Scheaffer did it in one of Team Vaynes free running videos...
Ive never tried it personally but Im planning on it now  :D

Offline Broc

• Patas
  • Meridian, ID
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2008, 06:02:24 PM »
when will you be in an extreme emergency and need parkour?

Running from a gang/someone who is chasing you? idk just a guess...

Offline Eli Kurtz

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Excelsior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2008, 06:05:43 PM »
when will you be in an extreme emergency and need parkour?

Running from a gang/someone who is chasing you? idk just a guess...

Yeah, something like that.  I know one of the reasons David Belle started parkour was in case he would need to escape or reach an emergency situation.  I look at it similarly, so I can think of a wealth of situations where I might need to use parkour, like protecting friends and family, getting away from a bad situation, etc.

Offline Patrick Holten (Denver Family) Flux Freerunning

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Life on the run.
    • View Profile
    • Ya!!! Youtube!!!
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2008, 06:53:47 PM »
You've really just got to understand the core philosophy behind it all, second, what it's origional use was for, and that really it's all the art of movement  ;D That's exactly what it all is though when you think about it, it's all just awesome movement!!! But yeah I'm glad you are discovering more and more bro, keep it up!
"Live what you love."- Me, Patrick Holten
WHAT I LOVE...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aiviEs4zmNo
DENVER FAMILY PRESENTS: FLUX FREE RUNNING

Offline Chris Slater

• Mangabey
  • PARKOUR PIE
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2008, 07:14:11 PM »
i always called it a sit-turn well thats what the tutorials name was and it was made from american parkour here is the link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gLiZ6ntERY

Cheers
Go outside already!!

Offline Grant (LOTRFreak993)

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2008, 08:08:37 PM »
Yeah!  It was the lazy sit.  Thanks for the suggestion Ozzi, and thanks for the video LOTR (I really enjoyed it when it came out, btw).
Your welcome I am glad you enjoyed it.

Offline Aaron Ream

• Patas
  • "Kansas"
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2008, 11:13:32 PM »
I see your point and I completely agree. But wouldn't you think that before he started practicing the Kong -> Gainer he made sure he was able to do the Kong without having to think to much on it anyway? It's still a good point though the practicing the cordination and conquering fears thing, though.
I'll never look back
Ive got No Regrets
Cause time doesn't wait for me
I Choose to go my own way

Offline Travis Graves

• Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Primal Fitness
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2008, 08:39:49 AM »
Again, let me dig up my definition of parkour-

The common definition of parkour "a to b as efficient as possible blah blah blah" is misleading. Parkour is a method of training to be comfortable moving in your environment, in 3-d space, in order to be able to surpass any obstacle with speed and efficiency, or to move in any manner that is deemed necessary by circumstance. I won't go into the differences (or lack thereof   ;) ) between parkour and freerunning, but the important thing to note is that parkour is a method of training, not an action. If it were defined that way, I could be walking down the street to a destination and then vault a wall and continue walking, was I only "doing parkour" for that split second I was performing a "parkour move"? No.

The important part of your post to me is ...during training. Anyone who actually goes out and trains will realize this sooner or later, it's just the next level of understanding parkour. Congrats! You will be happier in your training because of this realization!
Don't step to me with your stats and your date smarts

You know your neighborhood by street signs or landmarks?

Offline xXavierx

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2008, 07:54:08 AM »
I agree with you completely, but when will you be in an extreme emergency and need parkour?

To escape the zombie apocalypse.

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2008, 02:02:28 PM »

Dude I hate watching zombie movies, I get all nervous, cuz I imagine myself in that situation PK-ing my way out of death, and just the thought of PK to save my life makes me amped up and nervous, and could end with me leaving the theatre to train outside the movie place halfway into the film...

Offline RM

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2008, 08:15:45 AM »

Dude I hate watching zombie movies, I get all nervous, cuz I imagine myself in that situation PK-ing my way out of death, and just the thought of PK to save my life makes me amped up and nervous, and could end with me leaving the theatre to train outside the movie place halfway into the film...
Offtopic but have you noticed that movie theaters always have the best spots to train?

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2008, 05:51:07 PM »
Ya, but the people there always like to sit on benches (dont know why, you could flip over it instead - more fun - more excersize0 and then I cant do what I'd like.

What is always good though is a playground on a weekday...

Its like chocolate cake but better :)

Offline RM

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2008, 06:29:26 PM »
I have a playground in my neighborhood that nobody ever uses ;D