Author Topic: Tibia Fracture  (Read 2456 times)

Offline RM

• Guenons
    • View Profile
Tibia Fracture
« on: October 28, 2008, 12:45:33 PM »
So I fractured my tibia and am stuck in a full leg cast for a few more weeks, then an assortment of different casts and such.  While playing soccer, an opposing player did a double-legged slide tackle. I could not put any weight on it and I was carried off of the field.  Immediately after the injury, I knew it was broken, but after seeing the injury, I was surprised.  There was a very low amount of swelling and I have never had any injury problems (except for a chronic groin pull).  After the game ended (longest 45 minutes of my life) I was taken to the emergency room and x-rayed and given the whole regular spiel.  That Monday (injury occured on Saturday the 11th of October), my flimsy splint was taken away and I was given a full leg cast up to my butt.  Currently, my recovery schedule goes like this:
Week 1: Injury occurs.  Given full leg cast.
Week 2: Noticeable improvement in condition.
Week 3: No change from previous week.
Week 4: No appointment.
Week 5: Recast of the leg in either a full leg cast or a small walking cast.  New cast is required due to improper angle of the foot (the angle is at about 60 degrees, the doctors want it at 90 so I will be ready to walk)
Week 10: Cast taken off for walking boot to be removed in shower.
Weeks 11+: Extensive physical therapy needed to regain muscles in time for spring soccer season.

So basically I can't exercise for a long long time.  Also, I am missing my favorite part of soccer season: indoor.  That's $125 I'll never get back.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2008, 07:27:30 PM by Ron Why »
No matter where you go, there you are.

Offline Dustin Smith

• Mangabey
  • 417-343-7111 call or txt
    • View Profile
Re: Fracture of the Tibia
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2008, 01:26:43 PM »
man that sounds horrid, i would go insane, i hope it heals faster than expected

Offline RM

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2008, 01:30:03 PM »
I'm hoping for a miraculous recovery also.  One of my friends broke his tibia and fibula very badly (he showed me a picture and you could see a bulge in his leg) and only had a cast for 3 1/2 weeks.  And his cast was short.  He said the doctors said it was the most miraculous recovery he had ever seen.  Looks like I'm not on the path though...

Offline Dustin Smith

• Mangabey
  • 417-343-7111 call or txt
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2008, 04:35:42 PM »
wow, that was fast haha, one of the people i know was in a horrid car crash they said she was going to be iin the hospital for like 5-7 weeks, she had broken bones and collapsed lungs, she got out in like 2 weeks

Offline RM

• Guenons
    • View Profile
Re: Tibia Fracture
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2008, 07:29:12 PM »
UPDATE: I no longer feel pain when I bump into stuff.  Hopefully my cast will be shortened not tomorrow but next Monday.

Also, I made this post on the 24th online hour.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2008, 07:46:11 PM by Ron Why »

Offline RM

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2008, 04:07:38 PM »
Received my short cast yesterday. I had severe knee spasms while getting my X-rays, causing my knee to lock up for over an hour (the nurses said this was the worst they have ever seen).  After, I finished up the school day with my knee locked in position and got a ride home with my sister and her friend.  My leg got stuck in the back seat of the car and I couldn't move my leg back to get out, so I took manned up, took the pain, and then downed some hydrocodine.  I slept sitting up on the couch and didn't move for 21 hours except twice to go to the bathroom.  Feeling kinda better now but still don't have full range of motion.

Offline Jeff Whalley

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2008, 04:37:49 PM »
That sucks man. Your range of motion will come back with lots of hard work but faster than you might expect. I broke my radius (forearm) in the very end of August, had screws and a plate put in, and now I'm working back toward my press up handstands and planches. It takes a lot of work, but being a healthy young male, you'll heal usually faster than the doctors say. (I'm back 100% end of this month, 3 months, 6-8 was the estimate.) Best of luck.

-Jeff Whalley
The day I stop moving is the day I give up on life

Offline RM

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2009, 07:20:16 PM »
I'm bumping this topic to update my status.

My bone didn't heal right, so I'm unable to play soccer again :o.  I can lightly run, but thats about it.  I can't do sharp turns or cuts, so that hinders me alot.  I need to do physical therapy, but that would mean I would miss ALOT of school because the hours of the physical therapy place are messed up.  The only thing I can do to help myself get better is the stationary bike and running, they won't let me due leg weights.  The bone is healed, but there is no muscle around it whatsoever.  So basically I'm still messed up after 21-22 weeks.

On a lighter note, my broken leg became 10x as hairy as the other one (I'll take a picture if anyone wants to see  ;D).

Offline Anthony Ruiz

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
    • Youtube account
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2009, 10:52:00 AM »
awesome hopeuflyy your as hairy as me now i dont even need to wear close my body looks like freaking chewy
There is no reason to have a plan B, cause all it does is distract from plan A

Offline RM

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2009, 01:58:42 PM »
awesome hopeuflyy your as hairy as me now i dont even need to wear close my body looks like freaking chewy

Haha ew.  Do you consider that a good thing?  More power to you...

Offline Anthony Ruiz

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
    • Youtube account
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2009, 09:56:18 PM »
no i use an electric buzzer and go to town,  human hair carpet haha
There is no reason to have a plan B, cause all it does is distract from plan A

Offline Horde

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
    • Corvallis Area Parkour
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2009, 02:03:04 PM »
So i broke my tibia and fibula on August 30, 2006 playing football. broke a piece off the tibia and two pieces off of the tibia so my right shin was shattered. any one who has broken their leg knows that it is some of the worst pain imaginable. any way, i was given 3 rods, a plate and 8 screws during the surgery that evening, and had a hardware removal surgery a year later. Now i can squat about 250 lbs no problem and it is completely healed.

Ive noticed though now that the leg I didn't break is a lot more stable and stronger than the one I did. So should i work on trying to even out strength or work on favoring my strong leg during free running?  :)
-:(L8R-M4N):-