Author Topic: Knee discomfort, Oly Lifts, and Halo.  (Read 1610 times)

Offline Zack Bedingfield

• Mangabey
  • iamgustav
    • View Profile
Knee discomfort, Oly Lifts, and Halo.
« on: October 26, 2008, 04:29:43 PM »
copied from my training log:

I had little bit of pain in one of my knees about a week ago, so I've decided to stay off high impact stuff for as long as I can. Yesterday I learned power cleans and did a couple sets with light weight (probably coulda gone a lil lighter), anyways, now, the day after I'm feeling discomfort in my knees, no pain, just weird discomfort somtimes, and only sometimes, just like in the middle of a stride while walking or something else random.

are power cleans too intense for my knees while I'm trying to get them back to 100%? (even though i feel they're close).

As a whole I've been staying away from all high impact training for a while now, so I don't even know where the original issues came from, although I assume from some jumps or from sitting in a weird cross legged position for to long while playing halo. annd is that theory about sitting weird plausible in any sense for hurting my knees? Like the joints being stressed in an opposite manner IE contracted all the way (as opposed to extended)?

also how hard is it to mess up power clean form? For instance, I felt as though I got the technique down pretty pat yesterday, but maybe just need to perfect it now. Should I stay away from weights completely till then? I did like 3 sets yesterday of about 5 or so reps with 45lbs on each side. and I don't feel overly sore today, just good sore.

and a final question I guess, say I went to the gym looking to learn sideflips and maybe dive kongs, would I be doing a lot of potentially high impact knee stuff? may sound like a silly question to some, but I've never been to a gym or anything like that so I dunno what to expect.

ty to anyone who tries to respond to all that =)
« Last Edit: October 27, 2008, 12:39:26 AM by Zack Bedingfield »
“You do freerunning or parkour, I don’t know, but both are the same. Some people are worried about it, but they are people that don’t train for too long, people that…in terms of training, aren’t mature yet. […] One day I’d like to wake up, open my window, and everyones doing parkour." -Ali Shelton

Offline Sat Santokh

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Don't think with your balls, think with your brain
    • View Profile
Re: Knee discomfort, Oly Lifts, and Halo.
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2008, 02:14:59 PM »
was this right after you talked to me?  I could help you a little bit with the olympic lifts, but the thing with the power clean is that it takes months of practice with a  coach to ever get the form down even good.  You'll find that you will make gains like crazy but it won't really be from getting stronger it will just be your technique getting better.  for example when I used to do them I maxed out at one week at 145 and than i just studied and practiced with a broomstick and made it to 165

Offline Zack Bedingfield

• Mangabey
  • iamgustav
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2008, 04:20:49 PM »
nah this was the next time. but cool, I'd appreciate any help. I'm tired of skill gains while my knees apparently suffer and my climbups aren't where I'd like them to be.

any thoughts on halo possibly hurting my knees?
“You do freerunning or parkour, I don’t know, but both are the same. Some people are worried about it, but they are people that don’t train for too long, people that…in terms of training, aren’t mature yet. […] One day I’d like to wake up, open my window, and everyones doing parkour." -Ali Shelton

Offline Sat Santokh

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2008, 08:23:30 AM »
Hard to say without seeing you actually sitting, sitting in weird positions is known to cause injury though, an example is when new hockey goalies are trying to learn the W stance thing where they drop to their knees, a lot of them end up hurting their knees.  Climb ups, just start doing weighted pullups, and muscle ups.

Offline Zack Bedingfield

• Mangabey
  • iamgustav
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2008, 03:21:58 PM »
I've been wanting to do weighted pullups for a while now, but my max # at one time is prob like 15ish dead hang w/ no kip.

and where do you do your muscle ups? I gotta kip like mad to do them without super strugglin, and theres no room in the gym. that basketball hoop seems like the best bet, yet not too convenient.

Offline Chris Salvato

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Eat. Move. Improve.
    • View Profile
    • Chris Salvato
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2008, 09:04:43 PM »
Sat is right...

If you don't have a coach...you need to be super dedicated -- training with broom sticks and watching tons of videos and asking for people who know what they are talking about to critique videos of you.

It is possible to learn without a coach, but it is difficult.  At any rate, you should be cleaning...and fighting your way through learning proper form.

There is NO replacement for the fast lifts.  Period.

As for muscle ups...best way to get this is negatives.  If you have that high of pullup numbers, a few weeks of solid, slow controlled negatives through the whole movement will get you a strong solid muscle up on the bar.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2008, 09:06:45 PM by Chris Salvato »

Offline Sat Santokh

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2008, 07:18:11 AM »
Yeah there really isn't a great place at the rec to do the muscle ups unless you're already pretty good at them.