Author Topic: 8 Year old Free Runner  (Read 4695 times)

Offline Joe A.

• Patas
    • View Profile
Re: 8 Year old Free Runner
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2008, 08:18:03 AM »
^^ but the kid did it with one hand only.

Offline John VO

• Guenons
  • *Smile, smile*
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2008, 08:31:22 AM »
I'm immensely surprised no one brought up Blane's Dilution post yet.

http://blane-parkour.blogspot.com/2007/04/dilution.html

This kid is EXACTLY what he was talking about. Exhaustive training for only four months, yet the ability of an experience traceur. Now, I'm not sure how safe this kid's been about training, but I think it still applies.

>:(

I'm disappointed in you.

Offline Chris Salvato

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Eat. Move. Improve.
    • View Profile
    • Chris Salvato
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2008, 11:12:10 AM »
I'm immensely surprised no one brought up Blane's Dilution post yet.

http://blane-parkour.blogspot.com/2007/04/dilution.html

This kid is EXACTLY what he was talking about. Exhaustive training for only four months, yet the ability of an experience traceur. Now, I'm not sure how safe this kid's been about training, but I think it still applies.

>:(

I'm disappointed in you.

What an incredibly closed minded statement, imho.

It should not HAVE to take years to learn these techniques.

Children learn faster for a reason -- its called ADAPTATION.

They are introduced to a stress/stimuli at a much younger age and, for several reasons, are able to learn and adapt faster.

Ilabaca started training at 12.

Saying this skill training is too much for him represents a lack of understanding of children, training and physiology.  There are gymnasts who are HALF this kid's age doing things MUCH more demanding on their bodies.  Gymnasts who are 8 years old are capable of some astounding feats...and we should be drawing our parallels to gymnastics at this point, since our sport is still relatively new and very few young people have been involved up to this point.

After all, Parkour contains all of the movements we were MEANT to do as human beings but have LOST through the dilution of our innate human abilities through social evolution.

You're disappointment in me or the people who have trained this kid, imho, needs to be reexamined.  Your feelings on "dilution" should be based on more than Blane's perception -- which, anecdotally, has changed quite a bit since April 2007 when he wrote that article.

Let's not forget that Blane is just one of us.  Someone who has trained for a while and blogs about his experiences.  While I, personally, enjoy reading his blog and articles, I find that there is too much emphasis put on what Blane thinks.  There just seems to be a lack of a just cause for putting so much gravity on Blane's words.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2008, 11:14:34 AM by Chris Salvato »

Offline Chris Salvato

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Eat. Move. Improve.
    • View Profile
    • Chris Salvato
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2008, 11:19:04 AM »
at 8 yrs i don't even know that his joints even begun to start growing yet.

Joints don't grow...muscles and bones grow.  Joints are simply where bones come together.

Bones start growing when we are in the womb and don't stop, for the most part, until the late teens.  Additionally, most men don't see a full development in their bone structure until they are around 25 years old when the collar bone FINALLY fuses to the sternum.

The real issue of his joints would be connective tissue.  At his age, connective tissues grow rather quickly compared to adults and this shouldn't be much of a problem as long as his form is sound -- and it seems to be from what I can tell from the videos...

Doing parkour properly, in all reality, is probably safer than soccer, football, basketball or even baseball for this young traceur.  Its probably more dangerous that gymnastics, though.  Only safer activity might be weightlifting.

Offline John VO

• Guenons
  • *Smile, smile*
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2008, 11:19:36 AM »
In retrospect, I'm sorry. You're right. But the article seemed to define this kid's video in every aspect. They just seemed to fit together perfectly.

But I don't think it's necessarily close-minded of me. I'm referencing an article I thought was relevant and a viewpoint that could be applicable. By all means, if people couldn't do precisions after four months of training, there would be no people who wanted to do parkour.

The reason kids are able to handle stuff like this more quickly is because of "brain plasticity". Children's brains can still adapt because they haven't fully formed yet.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2008, 11:25:45 AM by 623S »

Offline Chris Salvato

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Eat. Move. Improve.
    • View Profile
    • Chris Salvato
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2008, 11:39:54 AM »
In retrospect, I'm sorry. You're right. But the article seemed to define this kid's video in every aspect. They just seemed to fit together perfectly.

But I don't think it's necessarily close-minded of me. I'm referencing an article I thought was relevant and a viewpoint that could be applicable. By all means, if people couldn't do precisions after four months of training, there would be no people who wanted to do parkour.

The reason kids are able to handle stuff like this more quickly is because of "brain plasticity". Children's brains can still adapt because they haven't fully formed yet.

The reason i said it was closed minded, in my opinion, was because of the weight you put on Blane's words without examining Blane's position in the community.

My point was that just because there is 1 article where someone brings to light that future traceurs won't have to "work as hard" does not mean the lesser amount of work is a bad thing.

Meant no offense, was just being blunt about my opinion -- that has a tendency to irk some ppl :)

Offline John VO

• Guenons
  • *Smile, smile*
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2008, 11:48:09 AM »
No, it's fine. I assumed that Blane's article was a good source, since I see it referenced relatively often.

But I can see why you'd get a little bit irritated by my statement.

Back on topic: This kid is pretty badass. He'll probably always best me at techniques. Fortunately, I'll always be a better boxer! :D
« Last Edit: October 19, 2008, 12:04:03 PM by 623S »

Offline Alex L.

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2008, 11:57:16 AM »

Joints don't grow...muscles and bones grow.  Joints are simply where bones come together.

Bones start growing when we are in the womb and don't stop, for the most part, until the late teens.  Additionally, most men don't see a full development in their bone structure until they are around 25 years old when the collar bone FINALLY fuses to the sternum.

The real issue of his joints would be connective tissue.  At his age, connective tissues grow rather quickly compared to adults and this shouldn't be much of a problem as long as his form is sound -- and it seems to be from what I can tell from the videos...

Doing parkour properly, in all reality, is probably safer than soccer, football, basketball or even baseball for this young traceur.  Its probably more dangerous that gymnastics, though.  Only safer activity might be weightlifting.

let's try to stay OT.

Offline Heather "Batgirl" Harvey

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • I'm a PK/FR artist! ^^
    • View Profile
    • Facebook (Heather "Batgirl" Harvey)
« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2008, 06:36:10 PM »
Oh my lord...this kid is my new hero.
He's like 8 and can do more stuff than me, and does it quite well.
Actually he has great form...quite jealous here... ^^
I like someone who is a little crazy but coming from a good place.I think scars are sexy because it means you made a mess that led to a beautiful disaster.

Offline WQ F

• Patas
  • Group Theory
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2008, 06:52:15 PM »
Wow. 3 more months, let's hope I can learn all these crazy balances, spins, flips, etc. No, I don't know if I can ever get that nice. He has much better training ground too.
You shouldn't try to do multiple experiments to calculate linear vertical acceleration over large distances.

Offline Aaron Ream

• Patas
  • "Kansas"
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2008, 07:47:07 PM »

I'm sorry if I said growing joints in my original post, I misspoke/typed/(w/e). What I meant was all the stress and such being put on his joints, it's going to be tearing through the cartilage in his joints and won't lead to a very nice future. It's something I'm worried about now, but I'm doing it anyway. As long as I'm doing everything right and not at too fast a pace, I feel like I'll be fine. But then again, I'm not a huge expert on the subject and have a very limited knowledge in the subject. I was just expressing my concern based on what I knew. I know you know much more than I, so I will trust your opinions.
I'll never look back
Ive got No Regrets
Cause time doesn't wait for me
I Choose to go my own way

Hyper_Mode

« Reply #31 on: October 24, 2008, 10:09:53 AM »
Woah!

I kept expecting him to bail/fall at any moment. Just WOW!  :o :o :D

Offline dashed

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 25, 2008, 04:23:45 PM »
Wow he will probably grow up to be the next David belle ;D

Offline RM

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 26, 2008, 06:41:31 AM »
Woah!

I kept expecting him to bail/fall at any moment. Just WOW!  :o :o :D
Not to burst his bubble, but he probably has bailed/falled many times, they were just edited out of the video.

That kid will be a legend, lets just hope he doesn't get hurt.
No matter where you go, there you are.

Offline Will James

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 26, 2008, 04:34:32 PM »
I think it's important that you all let him go his own way with motion. Don't confine him, don't encourage him to pursue things he doesn't want to. Syn, you say "us" like PKFR is a cult. Just make sure his thoughts on movement, Parkour or Freerunning, are pure and derived from his own passions, not what you guys would want him to be.

That's mah name!
Denver Family. Word Up.

Offline Chris Salvato

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Eat. Move. Improve.
    • View Profile
    • Chris Salvato
« Reply #35 on: October 26, 2008, 06:16:04 PM »
I think it's important that you all let him go his own way with motion. Don't confine him, don't encourage him to pursue things he doesn't want to. Syn, you say "us" like PKFR is a cult. Just make sure his thoughts on movement, Parkour or Freerunning, are pure and derived from his own passions, not what you guys would want him to be.

+1 to you, Will James...

+1 to you, indeed.

Offline Michael -PKFR

• Patas
  • Michael Hartwig
    • View Profile
    • PKFR International
« Reply #36 on: October 28, 2008, 03:13:33 PM »
I assure you all that Tyler is the one pushing himself, no one is making him do anything he doesnt want to.  I go training with him everyday and we train and condition safely.  Hes with us (PKFR) because he trains with me. simple as that.

encouragement from other people is definetly not a bad thing, if you know the person and know what to say.  he also has a great understanding on the movements and philosophy of why he is doing parkour.
Michael Hartwig -PKFR International

Offline Aaron Burns

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 05, 2009, 10:21:59 PM »
tyler our main man hes pushing himself in the right direction. we go out with him just about everyday to watch this kid live! Aaron Burns PKFR
This way of movement is my life, Today is the day you start