Author Topic: Eating Right: How To Get Started  (Read 64674 times)

Offline tombb

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
Re: Eating Right: How To Get Started
« Reply #60 on: August 06, 2009, 12:10:57 PM »
Chris, you mentioned taking 2 multi-vitamins a day? That seems a bit excessive... Why is this?
This probably wasn't answered yet because sometimes people don't notice if a stickie was updated :P  So I will answer this for Chris.

It's basically an approximate adjustment based on the fact that vitamin and mineral requirements change a lot based on activity levels.

For example you might have noticed sweat is usually salty, so basically you should know you lose a lot more of several minerals like sodium and potassium that way. Similarly, even vitamins get used more. B vitamins are involved in metabolism so if you burn more calories by training you need more of those, and similarly for vitamins that have antioxidant activity.

So twice as much is an approximation of course, but still a fairly safe one. The RDA and dosages of a normal pill are based on levels that wouldn't be too much for even very skinny sedentary grandmas for example, and it would take you months of taking many times the max levels before you ever see any problem from excessive vitamins or minerals from those doses.

In addition it's generally good to not take them at the same time but spread them out (like one in the morning and one at night), because most are not time-released and you are better off with a more steady supply.

Offline Chris Salvato

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Eat. Move. Improve.
    • View Profile
    • Chris Salvato
« Reply #61 on: August 06, 2009, 01:02:43 PM »
Yup, thats pretty much it.  Thanks for handling that for me.

That said, I can elaborate on this just a touch more in some simpler terms:

So twice as much is an approximation of course, but still a fairly safe one. The RDA and dosages of a normal pill are based on levels that wouldn't be too much for even very skinny sedentary grandmas for example, and it would take you months of taking many times the max levels before you ever see any problem from excessive vitamins or minerals from those doses.

The body is very very good at managing vitamins and minerals, in general.  Having too much is nearly impossible unless you are really consuming gross quantities for a long period of time.  The only reported Vitamin A overdoses, for example, are from people who lived off of Polar Bear Liver (which is like 9000% of the RDA per serving) for several months.  The amount necessary to overdose does vary for each micronutrient (vitamin/mineral) but, generally speaking, these values are REALLY high most times.

With that in mind, if you consume too much its not a problem at all - but consuming too little can lead to a variety of small problems ranging from sub-optimal results all the way down to piss-poor mood.  It pays to get more as opposed to less.

Offline Shae Perkins

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Texas tough
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 06, 2009, 08:49:12 PM »
Ok, thank you very much guys:) You learned me something :D
This post was based off of my personal gatherings. Enjoy:)

Offline Dudley

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
    • Dudley Photography
« Reply #63 on: August 24, 2009, 02:30:30 PM »
Chris,

Is there any reason you have not mentioned black beans?

Offline Chris Salvato

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Eat. Move. Improve.
    • View Profile
    • Chris Salvato
« Reply #64 on: August 24, 2009, 04:39:53 PM »
Dudley,

Beans are listed as a category...black beans fall into that category along with several other legumes including chickpeas, kidney beans, navy beans, etc.

Maybe I misunderstood something?

Offline Sparklefish

• EAF!
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • San Francisco Parkour
« Reply #65 on: August 24, 2009, 04:56:55 PM »
Is there any reason you have not mentioned black beans?

Dudley!

I wondered the same thing as I didn't see 'em in the OP when I read it.  As much as Chris says it's not just a list of healthy foods, I think people will assume some things are un-healthy if they're not listed.  Personally I'll eat my damn black beans forever unless they're proven to be equivalent to chomping on asbestos!

Offline Chris Salvato

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Eat. Move. Improve.
    • View Profile
    • Chris Salvato
« Reply #66 on: August 24, 2009, 05:31:58 PM »
If something is unclear then please let me know so that I can fix this article. :)

Offline Sparklefish

• EAF!
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • San Francisco Parkour
« Reply #67 on: August 24, 2009, 08:46:39 PM »
I think it's fairly clear.  There are two minor suggestions I might make. 

PREFACE NOTES
  • This article was written as a more formal article in response to the thread titled not getting my diet
  • THIS ARTICLE IS NOT A LIST OF HEALTHY FOODS.  The list is just a SAMPLE Menu - your menu may not have any of these items at all!  It is about personal preference and lifestyle.

You might want to repeat that exact quote several times in this article.  Repetition may seem boring and even insulting to some readers or audiences, but I'm sure you know the value of simple, frequently repeated cues.

For clarity, an example of a good starting menu is shown below:

Right here, just before the sample menu would be a good time to reiterate that there are many healthy foods not listed here that are worth eating.

When you make your own menu, I suggest that you carry it around with you everywhere you go.  The goal is to constantly expand the menu as you learn new food items that you enjoy that fit into these categories.

This is another principle that's worth repeating: constantly expanding one's menu of healthy choices.

Other than that, I feel it's well-written and a perfect way to introduce beginners to healthy eating.

Offline FastGuppy

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 01, 2009, 06:48:32 PM »
are red beans good for you?
"obsession is a great replacement for talent" -Steve Martin

Offline Fecteau

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Damn straight.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 19, 2010, 10:05:24 AM »
And here I am reading this thread with a McDonalds large coke in my hand... :(
But: How do you measure 2 cups of solid food such as carrots and such when it's not a powder...?
Also: What about those regular bush beans you get at shaws that you eat along with hot dogs? Those healthy at all?
Fecteau, you are the first person I will turn to when I break up with Micah, haha
;)
Fect, you get a gold star for the day.

Offline Grayson

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 19, 2010, 04:00:44 PM »
But: How do you measure 2 cups of solid food such as carrots and such when it's not a powder...?
Measuring cup of carrots.

Also: What about those regular bush beans you get at shaws that you eat along with hot dogs? Those healthy at all?
No.
I eat a lot of food.

Offline Thenamelessone

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 03, 2010, 07:41:55 AM »
ok right now my diet consists of:

breakfast: 1 package of pop tarts (2 pop tarts total)
               a glass of water or juice

Snack at work: gummy fruit snacks (no fat version) or carrots (getting burned out on the carrots right now.)

lunch: either steamed white rice plain or some kind of pasta with a little bit of bbq sauce or ranch for flavoring

Snack at work: Frozen berries (about 1/2 cup worth, and usually thawed by this time. blueberries, raspberries, strawberries, and blackberries.)

Dinner: Depends on what my wife wants usually. chicken breast sauteed in soy sauce and teriyaki sauce with rice, homemade pizza, some form of pasta with either alfredo sauce and hamburger (lean) or her sauce (tomato sauce and cream of mushroom soup) and chicken, tacos or burritos, or once every 2 weeks pizza rolls.

and of course water all day at work, and then when i get home either unsweetened or sweetened tea, depending on my mood.

pain heals, chicks dig scars, and glory lasts forever.

Offline Thenamelessone

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 03, 2010, 07:45:53 AM »
Dudley!

I wondered the same thing as I didn't see 'em in the OP when I read it.  As much as Chris says it's not just a list of healthy foods, I think people will assume some things are un-healthy if they're not listed.  Personally I'll eat my damn black beans forever unless they're proven to be equivalent to chomping on asbestos!

word!!!!   try this if you like these: steamed with rice, hamburger with taco seasoning and black beans. oh so good. had for lunch yesterday at work and breakfast today lol.
pain heals, chicks dig scars, and glory lasts forever.

Offline Faithkeeper

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 13, 2010, 08:12:27 AM »
When it says green tea, does this include bottled green tea or green tea in the half-gallon containers, or merely brewed green tea?
Jesus saves.

I have no special gift, I am just passionately curious.
-Albert Einstein

Offline Patrick Witbrod

• Administrator
  • Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 14, 2010, 04:32:53 AM »
When it says green tea, does this include bottled green tea or green tea in the half-gallon containers, or merely brewed green tea?

I'm just guessing but I would think brewed green tea. The closer it is to tea leaves the healthier it is for you. I can taste the paper in some brewed tea if it's to weak. Bottled tea adds lots of extra preservatives that aren't needed those paired with the sugar make it about as healthy as a coke. Maybe a little bit more because it does have SOME antioxidants but not as many as brewed tea. Some bottled brands are a LITTLE better then others. Look at the ingredients list the less the better. Also look at sugar content again the less the better.

With tea the closer it is to the actual plant the more health benefits you get from it.   

Edit:thought I would make things a little more clear.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2010, 08:00:23 PM by Patrick Witbrod »

Offline Chris Salvato

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Eat. Move. Improve.
    • View Profile
    • Chris Salvato
« Reply #75 on: October 14, 2010, 12:59:59 PM »
         I'm just guessing but I would think brewed green tea. The closer it is to tea leaves the healthier it is for you. I can taste the paper in some brewed tea if it's to weak. Bottled tea adds lots of extra preservatives that aren't needed those paired with the sugar make it about as healthy as a coke. Maybe a little bit more because it does have SOME antioxidants but not as many as brewed tea. Some bottled brands are a little better then others. Look at the ingredients list the less the better. Also sugar content again the less the better.

With tea the closer it is to the actual plant the more health benefits you get from it.   

Yeah...leaves in water...anything that is too far from that (such as pre-bottled sweetened tea) is actually defeating the purpose...

Offline Rocket Man38

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 14, 2010, 01:07:29 PM »
and now i have my diet  ;D and i am happy

Offline Jesus

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 11, 2011, 10:46:12 AM »
So are Multivitamins supplements recommend ?My mom says I don't need any but with Parkour, training and daily life my body takes a beating. ???

Offline Steve Low

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Eat, Move, Improve
« Reply #78 on: December 11, 2011, 12:07:32 PM »
So are Multivitamins supplements recommend ?My mom says I don't need any but with Parkour, training and daily life my body takes a beating. ???

If you're eating good foods then no they are not.
Posts NOT medical, training or nutrition advice
Site // Overcoming Gravity Book

Offline Jesus

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 11, 2011, 01:16:09 PM »
If you're eating good foods then no they are not.

Okay I think i get if you eat right then everything is balanced and you get enough vitamins, minerals, antioxidants and stuff.