Author Topic: Eating Right: How To Get Started  (Read 63737 times)

Offline KC Parsons

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Eat. Move. Improve.
Re: Eating Right: How To Get Started
« Reply #40 on: January 26, 2009, 05:49:27 PM »
Woooo I learned something extra useful. Thanks Chris.

You said that if you hit an insulin spike due to a poor choice in carbohydrates, that fat consumed is more likely to be absorbed as fat?

Offline Patrick Yang

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Outrunner
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 26, 2009, 07:48:45 PM »
You said that if you hit an insulin spike due to a poor choice in carbohydrates, that fat consumed is more likely to be absorbed as fat?

I'd guess it'd be general anabolic effects of insulin.  Lipids get taken up into adipose tissue and are used in fatty acid synthesis.

Quote from: Wikipedia
Increased fatty acid synthesis – insulin forces fat cells to take in blood lipids which are converted to triglycerides; lack of insulin causes the reverse.
Training log.
Train hard, eat smart, and act with honor.

Offline tombb

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 26, 2009, 10:04:11 PM »

I'd guess it'd be general anabolic effects of insulin.  Lipids get taken up into adipose tissue and are used in fatty acid synthesis.

Quote from: Wikipedia
Increased fatty acid synthesis – insulin forces fat cells to take in blood lipids which are converted to triglycerides; lack of insulin causes the reverse.
Yes, basically it's not of too much consequence.

Lipids are already absorbed as lipids after digestion (both as free fatty acids and in complexes with proteins) and are circulating in your bloodstream. The body has many ways to regulate them, but it certainly has to make sure you don't have excessive amounts of lipids just circulating in your blood since that will cause big problems.

Even if you had just ingested a lot of lipids without any carbs, your fat cells will still help absorb excess lipids in your blood. Insulin just helps shuttle them more efficiently into either adipose cells, muscle or liver, depending on their respective needs and your metabolic state (e.g., if recovering from exercise, insulin will drive both carbs/sugars, proteins/aa and lipids/ffa into muscles, while if underexercised and overeating it will drive them into fat cells), and also regulate other systems to anabolic mode.

Your fat cells themselves continuously absorb or release various amounts of lipids in the blood to maintain appropriate levels, so you shouldn't see the fact that some lipids are absorbed as a final terrible event, rather it's a normal everyday event. 

In normal situations that's exactly the best thing that should happen, any decent size meal will still likely have more lipids than your blood should circulate at one time. A few hours later when other cells in the body have used up some of the remaining lipids circulating in your blood, your adipocytes will release more lipids in your bloodstream to maintain a proper basal level of circulating lipids.

So if your energy balance is in order (e.g. you are not overeating), you don't need to be concerned with not mixing carbs and fats, having the same calories just from fat or just from carbs will actually probably be worse than having them by a mix of both.  If you are consuming excess calories, you will still gain the same amount of bodyfat from just carbs, just fats, or a mix of both, based on total calories.

But the general point is still don't overeat, and don't think of just fat or carbs in a meal, a good sanity check is total calories and things like relative proportions of proteins and fibers to fat and carbs. It's very hard to find unhealthy foods that have twice the protein than either fat or carbs for example, or twice the grams of fibers than sugars. And something with more or less equal amounts of carbs, proteins and fat is still a pretty good balance.

Offline Sat Santokh

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Don't think with your balls, think with your brain
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 27, 2009, 12:07:58 AM »
The main thing to do, even with hard gainers, is to improve quality of food.  Changing carb/protein/fat ratios without eating quality foods is just going to lead to frustration.  It leads to being hungry way too much and feeling like crap because you are eating twinkies and donuts to get your calories up.  Not to mention the other things that come along with poor diet choices like poor complexion, a "soft" (not-ripped) look, headaches, drowsiness/dragging, etc.

While increasing quality of food I would first try to up the fat intake of these "hard gainers".  Fat is very calorically dense (and delicious) so a hard gainer would benefit more often than not by increasing fat first.  As I said in the past, reintroduction of higher carb foods is a good thing to keep sanity and get your calories up a bit higher, as well.

I would first bump the fat up before the carbs.  Its just a whole lot better tasting and you can get a ton more calories a lot easier without risking a loss of insulin sensitivity.  As an athlete (and just human being in general) you want to be as insulin sensitive as possible...that way when you do consume carbs the insulin response will help deliver the nutrients to tissues more effectively.  Also, it is really easy to identify good, high quality fats as opposed to good high quality starchy carbs.

Start smearing butter, olive oil, coconut butter, turkey/duck/goose fat, almond oil, avocado/avocado oil, almond oil and red palm oil all over your steaks and veggies and you will get all the calories you could ever need.  Don't forget your fish oil, too...this counts as fat, as well.  For a good list of fats to put all over everything, check out the table at the bottom of this page:
http://www.gofrolic.org/gofrolic/food_blog/Entries/2008/12/28_Cooking_Oil_101.html

Hope i answered your question.

Well i wasn't talking about eating twinkies and stuff haha i just meant stuff like bread, and potatoes, and possibly even carb supplements.  The problem with the increasing fat thing is that i can't control what i eat really right now because i'm on the campus meal plan.  They don't EVOO in the dining halls or most of the other stuff you've mentioned.  They also almost never serve steak.

Offline Chris Salvato

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Eat. Move. Improve.
    • View Profile
    • Chris Salvato
« Reply #44 on: January 27, 2009, 04:35:05 PM »
Sorry Sat -- I think I over-generalized there :P  If it makes you feel better, you can call me a racist - I will understand.

Campus meal plans make things tricky because they exploit the fact that cheap and unhealthy is delicious and fill the campus eateries with unhealthy delicious junk -- thus the freshman 15 and the feeling of liberation most college students get when they are no longer required to be on a shitty meal plan.

What is available to you, exactly?  Maybe you should make your parents pay for a trip to whole foods and pick up some of those butters/oils to mix up your fat intake...and just spread good fats all over the campus chicken patties and burgers they serve at those meal halls :P

Offline MIG~de~PK

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 04, 2009, 06:02:38 PM »
What are the benefits of tea, if you don't mind telling me. ;)

Offline Chris Salvato

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Eat. Move. Improve.
    • View Profile
    • Chris Salvato
« Reply #46 on: February 04, 2009, 08:40:58 PM »
Green Tea is good for hydration but mostly because of anti-oxidants.

Here is a good little blurb on the benefits on anti-oxidants.

http://www.faqs.org/nutrition/A-Ap/Antioxidants.html

Offline NIMI624

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 07, 2009, 12:34:28 PM »
Don't quote the whole original post please!

thanks man that really helped thanks!
« Last Edit: April 06, 2009, 07:52:09 PM by Steve Low »

Offline serb87

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 05, 2009, 07:55:28 PM »
You could also go outside and catch a rabbit without using guns just old school spear. Awesome tasting meat and real parkour.
I just had to add this lol, great post

Offline David Ivey

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 06, 2009, 05:09:25 PM »
Ah man! I have been living off of oatmeal for like, the past 6 months! I guess I'm going to have to change that.

On a different note, i was wondering if i would be able to modify my diet to resemble this more without spending lots of money. Especially since I'm 16 and don't have a stead income at this very moment.
Lastly, since bread does not seem to be a great choice, what should i eat for lunch that Im able to take to school.

Thanks a bunch,
David

Offline Bret [Soundcrafter]

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 06, 2009, 07:27:39 PM »
Ah man! I have been living off of oatmeal for like, the past 6 months! I guess I'm going to have to change that.

On a different note, i was wondering if i would be able to modify my diet to resemble this more without spending lots of money. Especially since I'm 16 and don't have a stead income at this very moment.
Lastly, since bread does not seem to be a great choice, what should i eat for lunch that Im able to take to school.

Thanks a bunch,
David

Oatmeal's not horrible, you just need to understand what role it can play in your diet. For the record, however, steel-cut oats are better than the Quaker "Instant" or "One-minute" variety.

For lunch, try hard-boiled eggs. Throw 'em in a lunch box with an ice pack. Nuts aren't bad. Leftovers from last night's dinner. If you learn to cook (which you very well should, read Muse's article), you can cook yourself tomorrow's lunch or breakfast.

Offline David Ivey

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 09, 2009, 11:22:53 AM »
Its good that oatmeal isnt going to have to be eliminated. I dont know where i would a good portion of my daily calories. And yeah ill switch to the Original flavored oatmeal and just buy myself some honey and apples for my breakfasts.

And just talking about hardboiled eggs, i think ill have one now! Throw some salt and pepper on and ill be good to go. And i dont have to worry about cooking ability, just my will to cook.

Offline Jon Pritchard

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 31, 2009, 06:02:44 PM »
OATMEAL FTW!  I have been eating it every week day for almost 3 years now and I have to say that it is one of the best ways to lower cholesterol and keep your digestive tract in line thanks to all that great roughage :)
steel-cut oats are better than the Quaker "Instant" or "One-minute" variety
I couldn't agree more  ;D

While most see whole milk as being fattening, in reality it can be very nutritious if it is raw.  Milk is one of the most processed and abused animal source foods available at the grocery store.  The cleanliness at milk factories is mostly to blame for this processing.  If you ever saw the inner workings of a milk factory you would never want to drink store bought milk again.  Not to mention that milk looses most of it protein and enzyme content in pasteurization, as they are denatured.  If there is any possible way to obtain raw milk I would advise at least trying it, you may (like me) find it to taste a lot better than scalded store bought milk.

Another great food is yogurt.  While it is made from store bought milk and can contain a good amount of sugar depending on the brand/flavor, its great redeeming feature are the live cultures it contains.  These cultures, or to put it simply "good" bacteria are perfect for intestinal health as they can supplement the existing bacteria in your intestines that help absorb and break down food.

If I can make one suggestion on what to avoid it would have to be high fructose corn syrup.  It is so bad for you it's not even funny.  What is worse is that it is in so many things that it can be hard to avoid.  The two main culprits I have found in my search to weed it out of my diet are soda pop and non-white bread (along with many other wheat products). Just avoid soda all together, and with no-white bread and wheat look for products that use brown sugar or honey to sweeten, rather than HFCS.

These are just a few of the things I have been doing over the past 3 years, and while I am still a picky eater, I can be smart about what I do eat  ;)
« Last Edit: May 31, 2009, 06:07:08 PM by Jon Pritchard »
Me: Hello
Dean: Is there any particular reason that you are running around without shoes on?
Me: Mostly just to practice my landings and have fun
Dean: You seem agitated, are you having problems at home?
Me: No, I just like being barefoot
Dean: Your being different, put your shoes back on

Offline Bret [Soundcrafter]

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 03, 2009, 09:37:02 AM »
If there is any possible way to obtain raw milk I would advise at least trying it, you may (like me) find it to taste a lot better than scalded store bought milk.

If I can make one suggestion on what to avoid it would have to be high fructose corn syrup.  It is so bad for you it's not even funny.  What is worse is that it is in so many things that it can be hard to avoid. 

Oh dog, if I  could only obtain raw milk. It's unfortunately illegal for sale in the state of Indiana for human consumption. I'm going to hit up farmer's market's, though...;)

As for the HFCS argument, you're right, but be careful with that statement. Don't scapegoat HFCS, you'll spark a novel's worth of replies. :)

WoodlandGhillie

« Reply #54 on: June 23, 2009, 08:33:00 AM »
I can't get enough green tea...

"The first cup moistens my lips and throat; The second cup breaks my loneliness; The third cup searches my barren entrail but to find therein some thousand volumes of odd ideographs; The fourth cup raises a slight perspiration-all the wrongs of life pass out through my pores; At the fifth cup I am purified; The sixth cup calls me to the realms of the immortals. The seventh cup-ah, but I could take no more! I only feel the breath of the cool wind that raises in my sleeves. Where is Elysium? Let me ride on this sweet breeze and waft away thither. "
Lu Tung (Chinese poet during T'ang Dynasty) "Tea-Drinking"

Offline Zbpreston

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 27, 2009, 12:01:36 AM »
how many times a day is recommended for eating meals?

Offline Chris Salvato

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Eat. Move. Improve.
    • View Profile
    • Chris Salvato
« Reply #56 on: June 27, 2009, 06:01:01 AM »

Whatever you are comfortable with -- if you are just starting don't worry about meal frequency...just improve the quality of your food as outlined above.

Offline Zbpreston

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 27, 2009, 11:01:17 AM »

Whatever you are comfortable with -- if you are just starting don't worry about meal frequency...just improve the quality of your food as outlined above.

Well, the reason i ask is, i have been on a schedule for a while now, eating every 2-3 hours, consuming 6-7 meals a day. the question i have had for a while now is, "how much to eat". i do eat healthy, but i just don't want to over eat, consuming more calories than i need to.

Offline Chris Salvato

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Eat. Move. Improve.
    • View Profile
    • Chris Salvato
« Reply #58 on: June 27, 2009, 01:26:54 PM »
Modulating meal frequency depends.  Some people respond very well with smaller, frequent meals whereas more respond better with huge massive infrequent meals.  It really depends on your goals and body type.  A small woman who needs 1200 calories a day while trying to lose weight would never perform well on 6 small 200 calorie meals -- that is just maddening.  A 16 year old hard gainer would have a really hard time fitting 6000 calories into 2 meals a day, though, so he may want to do smaller, more frequent meals., for example.

If your goal is to lose weight i would highly recommend less frequent portion controlled meals.  If you want to gain weight I would suggest trying to eat larger meals more frequently.  If you are just getting started and want to get your diet "on the right track" then you are thinking too far ahead -- focus on improving food quality for at least 1-2 months and then revisit the concept of feeding frequency, in my opinion.

Offline Shae Perkins

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Texas tough
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 03, 2009, 11:44:10 AM »
Chris, you mentioned taking 2 multi-vitamins a day? That seems a bit excessive... Why is this?
This post was based off of my personal gatherings. Enjoy:)