Author Topic: how to do parkour in the woods????????  (Read 9568 times)

Offline etjedinat1

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
how to do parkour in the woods????????
« on: October 11, 2008, 03:06:46 PM »
How do I do parkour in a rural enviroment? I have tried to do it but I have only ended up doing nothing :-\

Please reply

Offline Jackson Miller

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Formerly Entity
    • View Profile
Re: how to do parkour in the woods????????
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2008, 05:35:47 PM »
Fallen logs are good.  Yopu can vault them and precision them as well as balance across them.  Woods training is very different in the way it looks.  Surfaces are not flat and corners are not 90 degrees.  You must be even more creative.  Focus on climbing, and precisions onto rocks across rivers etc.  Running should also be a main focus.  It is much different running in a forrest where the ground is constantly changing then where it is hard and flat and your vision is obstructed.  Rolls are hard and sometimes dangerous.  There are several good forest training vids.  Check them out. 

My personal Favorite:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVc8btZeAsg

Another good one from an APK guy:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZF89e8Ys7U

Offline Bobby Bohemier

• Guenons
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2008, 08:45:19 PM »
A few basic things that common sense is currently telling me-

1. Make sure someone is with you. Nothing worse than breaking a bone in the forest and having to walk out, or worse, not being able to walk out. People > Phones

2. Always check your surfaces. A precision on to a log is great. A precision through a rotten log is bad.

3. Insect Repellent and long sleeved clothes. Mosquitoes, spiders, and ticks! Oh my!

When done safely, however, forests are great for tic tacs. Especially when you're learning to tic tac into other techniques.
Have the courage to live, because anyone can die- Robert Cody.

Offline Jackson Miller

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Formerly Entity
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2008, 09:00:54 PM »
Well honestly any of our "moves" are much more difficult and rare in the forrest.  These set moves were developed for set situations.  The set concrete and brick walls and the uniform railings everywhere.  These techniques do not fit so well into forest parkour as they do where they were developed.  That just means you must modify movements and invent your own as you go.  You must be more creative as I said. 

Offline Travis Graves

• Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Primal Fitness
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2008, 11:17:47 PM »
there was once this one guy who made a video about training in the woods... it was mostly walking around though... he's stupid...
Don't step to me with your stats and your date smarts

You know your neighborhood by street signs or landmarks?

Offline Oliver N

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2008, 11:58:47 PM »
Parkour is not about doing tricks, it´s about moving efficent. Run in the forest and move as  efficent and safe as you can.

You don´t need to use "parkour movements", use the most efficent "moves".

Offline Shae Perkins

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Texas tough
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2008, 07:14:29 AM »
T
Well honestly any of our "moves" are much more difficult and rare in the forrest.  These set moves were developed for set situations.  The set concrete and brick walls and the uniform railings everywhere.  These techniques do not fit so well into forest parkour as they do where they were developed.  That just means you must modify movements and invent your own as you go.  You must be more creative as I said. 

Yes I second that. A lot of people think of Parkour of   just vaulting, wall runs, tacs, ect. Go back to the definition of Parkour: moving through an environment efficiently, and do just that. Go into your forest or woods or where ever, and just start moving. Adapt to you surroundings and find new ways to move.
This post was based off of my personal gatherings. Enjoy:)

Offline Grant (LOTRFreak993)

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2008, 07:46:47 AM »
I go in the woods so much. Jump from rock to rock, climbing trees, precision from roots. For actual training there are so many things you can do with crawling workouts. I find lots to do but maybe that is just me.

Offline Chance B.

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2008, 08:39:50 AM »
Yes, like everyone here said, you just have to adapt. The only place I currently have to practice is in the woods around my house, and if you go out there enough you can eventually find something to work with. It also depends on the type of woods...some things may be better (and safer) than others. Be sure to monitor your surroundings depending on where you are, not only for the places to train, but also for areas snakes and such like to hide (and live).

But like I said, I think it is relative to where you are and what you think you can do. If you browse around for places and objects in the woods, and work your way up from there, I think you will do alright. But also like everybody else said: you really have to be careful what you train on, where you train, and how you train. Some things may look attached...but really aren't so much, and some things may just be too soggy or slippery. I hit my back on a small log when something I grabbed broke (when I was younger)...I am just grateful all is ok.

So just go out and train! I know I don't have much experience, and probably shouldn't be giving you advice as much as the more experienced people here...but I just wanted to give you my 2 cents, just in case (since the places I practice are the woods and the gravel drive way).
Run free or die a captive.

OldDog

I like Bike-Skates

Offline Spencer B

• the Romantic
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • ...*BANG*...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2008, 03:30:45 PM »
I have woods, but they are so strewn with dead matter it's not even funny. There are tons of thorns, dead trees everywhere, and there is the occasional poisonus animal, but they are really rare. Any advice on moving through a wooded environ that you can't go five feet without having to slowly QM through thorns and dead trees?
www.cracked.com
www.tvtropes.org

There are times when you want to break down and rage at the heavens. Don't. Stay calm, and let the emotions flood in, accept them and then rise above them. Never dwell. Don't fear or worry. Anything worth thinking about is worth talking about. And... Good luck.