Author Topic: 5.10 Freerunner "Alien Glow"  (Read 29974 times)

Offline Jackson Miller

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Formerly Entity
    • View Profile
Re: 5.10 Freerunner "Alien Glow"
« Reply #40 on: November 08, 2008, 01:17:24 AM »
They are fine n rails.  I use them all the time.  On the majority of rails I find them better than my old running shoes.  I have only found them slippery on a VERY small percentage of rails.  These are not the same as phantom rubber people.  Phantom definitely sucks on rails.  This does not IMO.  For vertical or slanted climbs however they are a bit worse.  It is well worth it though trust me.  They are very good on most rails.

Offline Jason Todrick

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
    • Freerunner Mag
« Reply #41 on: November 14, 2008, 12:18:49 PM »
I didn't respond cause i really wanted to put some real 'miles' on them first... and also because i was hoping someone besides me would post it...

The Freerunner V2(Alien Glow) is great on Rails... I was honestly worried about it before trying them, but they are fantastic... I now need to find a polished marble wall and try them there... because in addition to gripping painted rails well... they stick to polished marble floors like glue. I used to be able to run and slide on the floors in the halls of the Honda Center wearing the V1 Freerunners... tried it last week with the Alien Glow's and almost fell over when my feet stopped dead on impact....

I finally know what it's like for some of you... see many people are blown away by stealth grip on rough surfaces... understandably.

But while I now take that for granted I am absolutely blown away by it's grip (period) on the new alien glow... it's sick... I honestly do not understand how it's possible to have the grip AND durability they do.

Now i just need some 'independent' reviewers to chime in and agree with me... to eliminate the perceived bias that I'm sure come with this post.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2008, 12:23:01 PM by Jason@FiveTen »
Formerly: Jason@FiveTen

Not all who wander are lost...

Offline Dustin Smith

• Mangabey
  • 417-343-7111 call or txt
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 14, 2008, 03:04:59 PM »
Jason i would agree with you but i dont have v2 to try so srry, but i just wanted to tell you that i dont hold you biased, thought my opinion really doesnt matter

Offline bats

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 28, 2008, 07:50:22 AM »
Thanks a lot for the "preview"  ;) page. Now I'm totally in "gotta catch 'em all" mode...

Offline Jackson Miller

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Formerly Entity
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 29, 2008, 04:23:14 AM »
I didn't respond cause i really wanted to put some real 'miles' on them first... and also because i was hoping someone besides me would post it...

The Freerunner V2(Alien Glow) is great on Rails... I was honestly worried about it before trying them, but they are fantastic... I now need to find a polished marble wall and try them there... because in addition to gripping painted rails well... they stick to polished marble floors like glue. I used to be able to run and slide on the floors in the halls of the Honda Center wearing the V1 Freerunners... tried it last week with the Alien Glow's and almost fell over when my feet stopped dead on impact....

I finally know what it's like for some of you... see many people are blown away by stealth grip on rough surfaces... understandably.

But while I now take that for granted I am absolutely blown away by it's grip (period) on the new alien glow... it's sick... I honestly do not understand how it's possible to have the grip AND durability they do.

Now i just need some 'independent' reviewers to chime in and agree with me... to eliminate the perceived bias that I'm sure come with this post.

Hmm.  Well these are WAYYYYYY better than the freerunner V1's.  I knew that from the beginning.  The question for me is which do I like better out of the Daesents or the AG's.  The alien glows have grip that is better than the v1s on all surfaces.  On rails they are pretty darn good.  I think the treads make quite a bit of difference and they won't wear down for a while because the rubber is very durable.  That being said Jason, I still preffer the Daesents.  Something about them is just awesome.  I wear them everywhere.  I love how much control and feel you have.  What I would really love to see though, would be a Daesent with the treads all the way to the front of the shoe and with perhaps a BIT more cushioning.  I love these shoes so much.

Offline Phil S.

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 29, 2008, 11:16:19 PM »
I might be getting some PK shoes for xmas so which is better the freerunner or freerunner v2?

Offline Jackson Miller

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Formerly Entity
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 30, 2008, 12:37:12 AM »
I'm sorry but hello!!! Did you read my post?  Or any of the rest of the thread?  I should just let you read and figure it out.  The v2's are pretty much better in every way.  Much better rubber.

Offline Phil S.

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 30, 2008, 09:23:59 AM »
My Bad, I read most of the thread and all I got out of it was some confusing suff about Phantom and Mystique and I didn't really get it, so thanks!

Offline Will James

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 30, 2008, 12:57:46 PM »
Will knows what he's talking about.  I've got a pair of D'Aescents, and the grip is really something that you have to experience.  I didn't believe that Stealth would be that different until I tried a pair of Freerunners.  It's kind of a leap of faith considering the fact that a pair of 5.10s will put you back at least $80, but I think it's worth it.  Also, Will, it turns out that my order did go through.  I love the D'Aescents so far.  I honestly feel like my Chucks give me less padding, though.  Also, do yours stain your socks red too?  Whenever I work up a sweat, the bottoms of my socks turn almost completely red.  It's pretty annoying.

Sorry man havn't checked this thread in a while...YES, my socks turn red lol. Not completely red, but enough to be recognizable...

Phil, I know where you're coming from man. Unless you've tried out both kinds of rubber (eg Freerunners and D'Aescents) its pretty confusing...If I were you I would get the new version of the Freerunner, of the two.
That's mah name!
Denver Family. Word Up.

Offline Phil S.

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 30, 2008, 06:25:10 PM »
Ok thanks man! :)

Offline Adam McC

• Delicious
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Level 1 Sexability Certified
    • View Profile
    • Lehigh Valley Parkour
« Reply #50 on: November 30, 2008, 07:44:30 PM »
Alright gentlemen. I ordered myself a pair of AG. I'll let you guys know how I like em.

•Lehigh Valley Parkour Community Founder
•Level 1 A.D.A.P.T. Certified
•Urban Current Member

Offline Alec Furtado

• kicks butt.
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Balance.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 30, 2008, 11:06:11 PM »
I'm planning on making these my next shoes too. Tell me how the work next to the Kirov, Adam. I'm just a bit worried about the marking... do they mark mark or just kind make little whisps?
Water conforms to the shape of it's surroundings. Do not be water. Shape your own life.

Offline pinkpawn

• Guenons
  • John [pinkpawn] Bingley
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 01, 2008, 07:30:54 AM »
I so wanna try a pair out for the sake of trying a pair; that and I actually think the green is kinda cool (oh and I think the 5.10 on the side shoulda stayed shiny). Just have to decide whether paying more for shipping than the actual shoe is what I really want to do...

:(

edit: Jason get 5.10 to open a shoe company in Australia!!  :D
« Last Edit: December 01, 2008, 07:33:55 AM by John [pinkpawn] Bingley »
The edge..                                                           ..its the starting point, not the limit!

Offline Jason Todrick

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
    • Freerunner Mag
« Reply #53 on: December 01, 2008, 12:53:25 PM »
we have stores in Aus...

you just need to convince them to carry the freerunner ;)
Formerly: Jason@FiveTen

Not all who wander are lost...

Offline Jackson Miller

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Formerly Entity
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 01, 2008, 07:44:36 PM »
I'm planning on making these my next shoes too. Tell me how the work next to the Kirov, Adam. I'm just a bit worried about the marking... do they mark mark or just kind make little whisps?

On most things they don't mark at all or you just don't notice it but on smooth painted white or off white walls it becomes more noticeable.  Usually dirt from normal shoes marks up those walls anyways though so they are the type of walls I stay away from.  Honestly the marking isn't a big deal at all.

Offline Spark710

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 02, 2008, 05:14:00 PM »

Honestly the marking isn't a big deal at all.
[/quote]

I have to disagree.  If they don't mark at all, then don't worry about it, but if property owners and, more importantly, cops see you marking public or private property, they might not be so understanding.
What is fitness without finesse?
What is power without precision?

99% right is still 100% wrong.

Offline Jackson Miller

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Formerly Entity
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 02, 2008, 10:26:48 PM »
Have you tried them?  There are many things that it does not seem to mark at all.  Pretty much only painted walls.

Offline Spark710

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 03, 2008, 03:13:51 PM »
I haven't tried the AGs, but I own a pair of daescents and agree with you that the only place you would ever notice marking would be light colored painted walls.
What is fitness without finesse?
What is power without precision?

99% right is still 100% wrong.

Offline Jason Schroyer

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 03, 2008, 03:15:26 PM »
How do the AG's run size wise?

Offline Matt Carter

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 03, 2008, 04:15:53 PM »
Why dont you check the Shoe sizing guide topic lol... but make sure that you order a half size down.