Author Topic: DAN from Parkour Generations, Words About "Actual" Training  (Read 12174 times)

Offline Patrick Holten (Denver Family) Flux Freerunning

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Life on the run.
    • View Profile
    • Ya!!! Youtube!!!
DAN from Parkour Generations, Words About "Actual" Training
« on: October 06, 2008, 08:36:57 PM »
I'd have to agree with Dan 100% on this one because there is no doubt in my mind that he knows Training is TRAINING and that playing is not Training.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45mC3VziOEA&NR=1
"Live what you love."- Me, Patrick Holten
WHAT I LOVE...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aiviEs4zmNo
DENVER FAMILY PRESENTS: FLUX FREE RUNNING

Offline Alec Furtado

• kicks butt.
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Balance.
    • View Profile
Re: DAN from Parkour Generations, Words About "Actual" Training
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2008, 08:48:25 PM »
Don't pop my bubble... >:(

Haha. ;D
Water conforms to the shape of it's surroundings. Do not be water. Shape your own life.

Offline Nick Kelly

• Mangabey
  • Parkour Horizons
    • View Profile
    • Parkour Horizons
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2008, 09:00:22 PM »
I can honestly say that was a life changing weekend--soo many great memories. It COMPLETELY changed the way I train and think of parkour. If any of you have the opportunity to train with PK Gen, I'd suggest you do whatever you can to do so.

There are some really great quotes in the videos on that YouTube. If you haven't watched those videos, I highly suggest you go through them.

Offline John Conway

• Mangabey
  • John Conway
    • View Profile
    • CouchSurfer
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2008, 07:15:09 AM »
touch, strength, good spirit: 3 pillars of parkour.
that really struck me.

Offline Graham Hughes

• Hirundo Rustica
  • FLPK
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2008, 05:17:30 PM »
Hmm...I need to reexamine the way I train a little bit.  I've kinda fallen into a playing around mindset lately that I need to snap out of if I'm going to continue progressing.  Thanks for posting this, all of those videos are great.

Offline Kiernan

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2008, 06:17:26 PM »
Wow....those videos made me feel horrible :( like a fake or something,.....I realize just how pointless my training has been up to this point since I apparently haven't had the right mindset or actually worked out (like what Dan was saying) ugh.....I'm not even joking when I say I feel like crying right now...

Offline Jackson Miller

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Formerly Entity
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2008, 10:21:55 PM »
Wow....those videos made me feel horrible :( like a fake or something,.....I realize just how pointless my training has been up to this point since I apparently haven't had the right mindset or actually worked out (like what Dan was saying) ugh.....I'm not even joking when I say I feel like crying right now...

Don't worry man, it is never to late to modify your training habits.  If you love parkour that is what is important.  If you want to take it to the next level, you need to listen to this video.  You should be happy.  Now you know.  It is better to find out this way than to go on "training" without realizing you really are not.

Also, we all are guilty of this a bit.  However some "playing around" is fine.  A lot actually.  That is what jams are for.  you throw it all together and try all the moves without physically conditioning a whole lot.  The conditioning and technique drills can be done by yourself.

Offline Nick Kelly

• Mangabey
  • Parkour Horizons
    • View Profile
    • Parkour Horizons
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2008, 06:45:27 AM »

Don't worry man, it is never to late to modify your training habits.  If you love parkour that is what is important.  If you want to take it to the next level, you need to listen to this video.  You should be happy.  Now you know.  It is better to find out this way than to go on "training" without realizing you really are not.

Also, we all are guilty of this a bit.  However some "playing around" is fine.  A lot actually.  That is what jams are for.  you throw it all together and try all the moves without physically conditioning a whole lot.  The conditioning and technique drills can be done by yourself.

You can train however you want, obviously, but if you listened to Dan he's saying that training should not be "playing around". Obviously there's a time and place for everything, but if you go to their practices in London, you will not find any "playing around".

Offline Tai

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2008, 07:11:48 AM »
great video, everyone should watch this before they get into parkour.

Offline NICK DAGGER

• Nick Dagger P.I.
  • Mangabey
  • I AM NICK DAGGER
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2008, 12:54:51 PM »
 I disagree with the idea that you are only training parkour when you are doing physical exercises. To me, playing around is another form of training. When I play, I am exploring new ways of moving, finding new paths through the environment, and putting everything I know into practice. By playing like this I am not wasting my time, i'm progressing mentally. You can do this type of training for hours on end, but unless you also condition on the side, you won't get much stronger. If you do the opposite, and condition more than you play, you lack real experience with moving and flowing through the environment.
You need to do both.
When ever I go out to train, I usually play for an hour, and condition for an hour. When I trained with Tigor in Paris for the day for 10 hours straight, it was mostly playing, and conditioning was spread out through the day.

Offline Dan Elric

• Ambassador
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2008, 01:30:16 PM »
I disagree with the idea that you are only training parkour when you are doing physical exercises. To me, playing around is another form of training. When I play, I am exploring new ways of moving, finding new paths through the environment, and putting everything I know into practice. By playing like this I am not wasting my time, i'm progressing mentally. You can do this type of training for hours on end, but unless you also condition on the side, you won't get much stronger. If you do the opposite, and condition more than you play, you lack real experience with moving and flowing through the environment.
Training is training.  Playing is playing.

He said the same thing in Columbus this summer.  He said that what we were doing is training and that you have to go out consistently every day, day after day.
I would train a lot more than I do now, but my cross country coach hates it when I do it.  She says that's how we hurt ourselves. >.>
So yeah, 2 more weeks and I'm home free for whatever training I so desire.

Offline Holland Wilson

• Mangabey
  • Formerly known as the Damned Scholar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2008, 02:39:47 PM »
I incorporate a lot of elements of play into my serious training. Then I also incorporate elements of serious training into my play. Experimentation and fun (in any field) is what keeps me moving onward and upward (in the case of parkour, quite literally). I'm not the type of person who finds it easy to do stuff that's not fun. Parkour is fun, and by extension the training that goes into parkour is fun (which is a very good thing). However, especially with the higher-intensity stuff, there's a point where it becomes less fun. At that stage, I think it's best to go off and flip off tables for a little while, or contemplate the environment, then get back to the work after you've had some fun.
"At the age of six I wanted to be a cook. At seven I wanted to be Napoleon. And my ambition has been growing steadily ever since." - Salvador Dali

Offline NICK DAGGER

• Nick Dagger P.I.
  • Mangabey
  • I AM NICK DAGGER
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2008, 04:43:19 PM »
I incorporate a lot of elements of play into my serious training. Then I also incorporate elements of serious training into my play. Experimentation and fun (in any field) is what keeps me moving onward and upward (in the case of parkour, quite literally). I'm not the type of person who finds it easy to do stuff that's not fun. Parkour is fun, and by extension the training that goes into parkour is fun (which is a very good thing). However, especially with the higher-intensity stuff, there's a point where it becomes less fun. At that stage, I think it's best to go off and flip off tables for a little while, or contemplate the environment, then get back to the work after you've had some fun.

I think that's really true, I think i'm at the point where I need to flip off tables for a little bit. :D Today was the first time in a couple of months that I got hit with boredom in the middle of a session.

Offline Nick Kelly

• Mangabey
  • Parkour Horizons
    • View Profile
    • Parkour Horizons
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2008, 05:44:18 PM »
Training is training.  Playing is playing.

He said the same thing in Columbus this summer.  He said that what we were doing is training and that you have to go out consistently every day, day after day.
I would train a lot more than I do now, but my cross country coach hates it when I do it.  She says that's how we hurt ourselves. >.>
So yeah, 2 more weeks and I'm home free for whatever training I so desire.

Amen to that. Again, if you go to their classes in London you'll find zero play time. When you show up to practice to train, you do just that: train. This isn't to say that you can't be creative when you train, but you keep the mindset to train instead of play. If you play, you stop when something becomes difficult. If you are actually training, you will get much more out of your time with parkour.

Moral of the story: For those that don't know, Dan is one of the world's elite practitioners, and really knows his stuff. Listen to him.

Offline Chris [.5gibbon] Stevenson!

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2008, 01:28:07 PM »
in okc we divide training into two catagories: technical training and conditioning.  we do both equally and everyone is progressing well.   in technical training the primary focus is perfecting each movement until you can break it down into several techniques, then further perfect those small techniques until it becomes second nature to move with perfect technique.  and conditioning days wich are actually based off of the pk gen conditioning.       i think it is important to have an equal ballance between both, because i have found that if i focus too much on conditioning then i become very strong, but my technique suffers and the other way around just the same.
"Be like water making its way through cracks.  Do not be assertive,  but adjust to the object, and you shall find a way around or through it." - Bruce Lee

"There are few things graven in stone, except that you have to squat or you're a pussy." -Mark Rippetoe

Offline Shae Perkins

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Texas tough
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2008, 08:55:44 AM »
So how do you go about a full training in only 2 or 3 hours? I guess if I ever got to train with PK Gen. I would find out.
This post was based off of my personal gatherings. Enjoy:)

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2008, 01:10:41 PM »
it helps to have everything in mind that you want to do before you go out to train.  also don't spend too much time resting between sets only about 60 to 90 seconds if not less. you can squeez in alot of different exercises this way.
"Be like water making its way through cracks.  Do not be assertive,  but adjust to the object, and you shall find a way around or through it." - Bruce Lee

"There are few things graven in stone, except that you have to squat or you're a pussy." -Mark Rippetoe

Offline Shae Perkins

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Texas tough
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2008, 07:26:12 PM »
I considered that, but I still just don't feel like that I can accomplish that much in only a short amount of time. I guess a solid hour of heavy conditioning and then very well planned out technique training afterwards would suffice. Though I assume training with PK Gen would show me how it's done!
This post was based off of my personal gatherings. Enjoy:)

Offline Nick Kelly

• Mangabey
  • Parkour Horizons
    • View Profile
    • Parkour Horizons
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2008, 10:36:51 PM »
I considered that, but I still just don't feel like that I can accomplish that much in only a short amount of time. I guess a solid hour of heavy conditioning and then very well planned out technique training afterwards would suffice. Though I assume training with PK Gen would show me how it's done!

Almost everything you do in their classes is conditioning.

One class when I was there went something like this...

- Run for 20 or so
- 3 x 1 muscle up
- 3 x 2 muscle up
- jumping over a 3.5 foot fence 4 x 10, hold a squat for a minute, then 5 x 10
- 3 x 3 muscle up
- QM, and gap traversing drill (a ~5 foot gap between low walls, you put hand on one, and feet on another and move down the wall, then QM back around the wall)
- Movement circuit that included a turn vault/climb up on a wall, and a dyno
- Movement circuit that included taking a 5 foot drop on concrete, and a cat leap
- Dynos (forget how many)
- The drill Forrest does at the beginning of this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kPWUY4wsFA (1 time, rest, then 2 consecutive times)

(Just in case there is confusion, after every drill you run directly to the next one.)

I don't think I'm forgetting anything, and that took a little over two hours. It was just about the hardest I've ever been pushed.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2008, 10:49:09 PM by Nick Kelly »

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2008, 05:56:20 AM »
you lucky duck!! ;D^          and shae, in okc we do conditioning and technical training on sepperate days so we can spend more time on each.    also its not he best idea to do technical training after condition because you might... should  be too tired to perform really technical movements.