Author Topic: Carolyn's Training Log (TraceuseDS)  (Read 95822 times)

Offline TraceuseDS

• Patas
  • Carolyn (Carrie) S.
    • View Profile
Re: Carolyn's Training Log (TraceuseDS)
« Reply #600 on: May 10, 2011, 01:18:49 PM »
April 27, 2011: Swing class + dance.

April 28, 2011: Gymnastics gym.
  • Joint rotations, balance beam warmup.
  • Flow practice on balance beam.
  • A little bit of handstand work; not much.
  • Hip circles on parallel bars.
  • Lots of practice kicking a small foam block off the top of the trapezoid foam blocks. Also practiced kicking a target while someone was holding it. I need to remember to let my back foot rotate when I'm kicking with the front, so that my hips can open up and I keep my balance better.

April 29, 2011: Longish walk; fell off a wooden beam I was balancing on. Dancing: Bluetopia.

April 30, 2011: Jam downtown. Feeling kinda cold and icky all day...headachy and not-quite-sick...so I took it fairly easy.
  • Warmup: Walking to training spot. :P Joint rotations.
  • Tics to climbups on a wall that gets progressively higher as it goes along.
  • Kong progression: Just trying to land with my feet on top of the wall, but I tend to push off with my hands and then crane it instead of getting both feet up.
  • Handstand practice in the grass.
  • Precisions on concrete blocks.

May 1, 2011: Impromptu jam: Precisions on stone blocks, some cats, a few climbups. Wearing bluejeans inhibits movement. -_-

May 2, 2011: Gardening...does digging small holes in the ground count as exercise??

May 3, 2011: Gym.
  • Warmup: Some deadlifts and hang cleans with the empty (45#) bar.
  • Power clean practice:
    • 1x5, 45#
    • 4x4, 55# Just wasn't feeling sets of 5 that night for some reason.

May 5, 2011: Gymnastics gym.
  • Warmup: Joint stuff, balance beam.
  • Flow work on the balance beam. Starting to get that lazy-left to reverse-right back, but it's still pretty dicey.
  • Participated in a group warmup/drill that involved several different sorts of punches (hook, uppercut...uh...other stuff...they had me doing some of these with an open hand so I could learn w/o risking hurting my wrists) and kicks (roundhouse, axe) delivered in different combinations. 'Twas fun. ;D
  • More flow on a balance beam, and then I tried for a really long time to figure out how to get from "koala" position under the beam up on top of it again. I think I have the general idea...but executing it is going to take some work!
  • Cooldown: Actually spent a decent amount of time stretching, wonder of wonders!

May 7, 2011: Epic Saturday!
Afternoon: 4-hour blues dancing workshop. :) Learned some new footwork patterns, and turns, and got a lot of good practice in on them and some others I already knew. Also learned a simple dip that I really need to work on so I don't blow out my knee doing it wrong one of these days...
Evening: Journey to the End of the Night! Basically a HUUUGGEEE game of zombie tag with checkpoints and several hundred players, which takes place across the entire city of Chicago. Made it to all 6 checkpoints (and the 2 bonus checkpoints!) without getting zombified. ;D Time: 3 hours, 52 minutes (or so). Not the fastest, but it's an improvement over some of my old times, and it meant I was one of the first 150 to check in at the end. :)
Just take the next step.A day without a challenge is a wasted day.

Offline TraceuseDS

• Patas
  • Carolyn (Carrie) S.
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: May 17, 2011, 08:53:44 AM »
May 9, 2011: Power clean practice in my living room...I try not to do this too often, because I don't want to squish furniture, myself, or the cat...
  • Warmup: Assorted deadlifts and hang cleans. (Very light, don't remember the exact weight.)
  • Power cleans:
    • 1x5, 25# (+) Standard bar, indicated by the plus sign; I think it weighs 12#, but I wouldn't swear to it.
    • 4x5, 55# (+) Very long breaks between sets; it was close to 90 (BIZARRE for Chicago in May), and I didn't feel like turning the AC on.

Note to self: Stop lifting in shorts!

Offline TraceuseDS

• Patas
  • Carolyn (Carrie) S.
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: May 17, 2011, 01:55:47 PM »
May 10, 2011: Moving the aikido equipment from the Army Base (where we've been practicing) to our space onsite. And it was hot out!

May 11, 2011: Swing class + dance.

May 12, 2011: Gymnastics gym.
  • Warmup: Bouncing around on the tumble track (I was hyper).
  • Flips: Better than usual. Picturing them as dive rolls onto something *really* high helped somewhat. Started working on tucking; needs more attention, but trying to touch my shins during the rotation is a helpful cue to remember.
  • Boxing: Oh, the new things I'm learning...we talked about stance, and keeping my body at an angle; protecting my assets; keeping my guard up (one hand high and in front, the other by my jaw), and elbows in; the right way to make a fist (keep your thumb out of the way, darn it!); keeping my weight balanced (but a little more on the back foot); and how to put my whole bodyweight behind a punch instead of just the momentum I can generate with my arm.

May 13, 2011: Friday the 13th, oh noes! Actually it wasn't a bad day; blues dancing took place. I danced with a partner who'd had one too many before he got there, though (I didn't realize until after we'd already started dancing), and twisted my knee a bit.

Offline TraceuseDS

• Patas
  • Carolyn (Carrie) S.
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: June 06, 2011, 06:37:29 PM »
Been too busy doing things to keep posting all of it! Gym sessions have taken place, as has dancing, flipping, conditioning, balancing, bouldering, vaulting, swimming, and a trip to (B)East Coast!

Last week (I think it was 6/1/11):
  • Squats:
    • 1x5, 45#
    • 1x5, 95#
    • 3x5, 135# Had someone lifting with me, and he noticed that I've been OVERcompensating on my "chest up" cues. :P Guess I was so busy thinking about keeping my chest up I actually started curving my back the opposite way at the bottom of the squat. Le sigh. Always something to work on...
  • Assisted pullups: 3x5, 60# assist (I think)
  • Bench press: Haven't done these for a while, so I decided to take advantage of the fact that I had a lifting partner to spot me and tried to find my 1RM. Did a rep or two each at 45#, 65#, 75#, 85# and failed at 95#. So...somewhere between those last two.
  • Had some time to kill, so I messed around on the leg press...got up to 200-something#, but I feel like using a machine's cheating. :P
« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 08:08:52 AM by TraceuseDS »

Offline TraceuseDS

• Patas
  • Carolyn (Carrie) S.
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: June 06, 2011, 07:57:26 PM »
June 6, 2011: Home.
  • Warmup: Some DLs with 60# (+)
  • Power cleans: 3x5, 70# (+) Last set was UGLY, but I got it done.
  • Deadlift:
    • 1x5, 70# (+)
    • 3x5, 110# (+)
  • 3x10 jumping pullups.
  • Cooldown: Stretching.

Offline TraceuseDS

• Patas
  • Carolyn (Carrie) S.
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: June 08, 2011, 08:15:08 AM »
June 7, 2011: Tuned up the bike yesterday and took it out for a spin today. Rode a little over 8.5 miles total: took the road route to where I was going (3.46 mi), then had a break, then took the long way home on a bike path (5.18 mi). Worked out pretty well, as I did the short part when it was hot and sunny, and the long part after dusk when things were starting to cool off. On the way home, I saw some raccoons (and a whole lot of bugs)!

Offline TraceuseDS

• Patas
  • Carolyn (Carrie) S.
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: June 14, 2011, 01:58:49 PM »
June 8, 2011:
Afternoon: Biked to another building onsite to drop off some papers and came back. Total: 2.7 miles.
Evening: Swing dancing + class.

June 9, 2011: Gymnastics gym.
New things are happening here; my preferred style of training is to pick one or two things I want to work on, zone in, and keep hammering away at them until I get them where I want them to be (or I get tired - which can actually take a fairly long time, most nights). This generally results in progress, but it tends to take a long, LONG time. New idea (based on this video and the advice of a friend who knows much more than I do): Train more frequently, but in smaller bursts, i.e., don't do more than 10 reps of a skill at a time. The idea is that if you imprint GOOD, solid reps in your muscle memory, you learn faster than if you trick/practice until you crash. I decided I'm going to give this technique a month, maybe a month and a half, and see where it takes me. If it works, I'll keep going. If not, I'll go back to what I was doing before.
  • Warmup: Joint stuff, balance beam.
  • Threw a few front tucks on the tumble track. Landed on my feet about 50% of the time. Stepped off the mat weird once (it wasn't even a landing after a flip!) and twisted my foot/ankle; I think I broke up some scar tissue rather than actually injuring myself, but that HURT!!
  • Learned that I can still put my foot behind my head if I want to (b-boy friends, ftw - I haven't done that since I was a little kid!).
  • Handstand practice. I hit that equilibrium point most tries, but then fall right back out of it.
  • Walked my hands down a wall into a backbend a few times.
  • Practiced cartwheels, trying to start and end with my feet on a line of tape on the floor. Hit it a few times, but my second foot tends to land facing sideways, about 4-6 inches to the right of the tape.
  • Messed around with some preparatory stuff for tricks; I don't really intend to do a lot of tricking in the near future, but the prep work looked like fun. :P My favorite: Stepping toward the trapezoid-shaped foam block, planting my hands on the edge, and twisting around in midair (I think it's supposed to help with b-twists...or something like that).
  • Worked on my boxing stance, and transferring momentum from my hips to the rest of me. I feel kind of silly swinging my arms and slapping stuff, but you gotta learn the basics before you can do anything else!
  • Stretched some; probably should've done more.
Notes on the new training technique: This REAAAALLLYYY goes against the grain with me, but I did notice that it changes my mindset, if nothing else. If I know that I can't do anything more than a few times, I really have to focus on getting the most out of each attempt. I also need to figure out a conditioning routine, or something, that I can do so I don't end up sitting around so much each time I finish with a skill.

Offline TraceuseDS

• Patas
  • Carolyn (Carrie) S.
    • View Profile
« Reply #607 on: June 22, 2011, 08:49:58 AM »
June 10, 2011: First day of the Chicago Colossal Jam (and Chicago Blues Fest)! Met up at Oz Park and trained there for a bit; faced down my Nemesis Jump, but either my legs were tired or I've lost a couple inches on my broad jump. ::sigh:: When everyone dispersed to various sleeping/eating locations, I headed over to a blues dancing spot for a few more hours.

June 11, 2011: Crazy day alternating between parkour and blues, back and forth all day. I'd spend an hour or two in one place, head over to the other, and repeat...probably saw each at least 3 times.
Parkour stuff:
  • Warmup: Led by PMPA. Jumping, pushups, squats, jogging in place. Static and dynamic stretching.
  • A few precisions.
  • Spent a lot of time on some scaffolding, working on underbars. The scaffolding we use is set up so that each segment is an X framed by bars on all four sides. I've been able to consistently do underbars through the bottom part of the X for a long time now, but the sides are higher and tricker. Worked on that for a while; the trick seems to be grabbing the upper bar with an odd mixed grip and twisting through, but I have trouble getting high enough, so it generally tends to look more like a hop, a sit, and a turn for me.
  • Threw throwing stars at a watermelon. :P
  • Didn't end up doing much at the Vietnam Memorial; it was crowded, so I climbed up to sit on a tall concrete wall and took a snack break.
  • Discovered the awesomeness that is a yoga swing...fly yoga sounds interesting; may have to investigate further at some point.

Blues stuff:
  • Dancing on asphalt bothers my knees.
  • Ariakes were NOT made for dancing. :P
  • Very good leads can make even n00bs like me look good!
  • Ended the night with another few hours of dancing (on hardwood floors, with the proper shoes).

Offline TraceuseDS

• Patas
  • Carolyn (Carrie) S.
    • View Profile
« Reply #608 on: June 22, 2011, 09:38:36 AM »
June 14, 2011: Biked to aikido and back (Total: 2.7 miles). At aikido, we worked on absorbing an attacker's momentum and blending it into a throw.

June 15, 2011: Class + swing dancing.

June 16, 2011: Bike adventures! It was bike to work week, but I live pretty far away from where I worked, so I put my bike on the back of my car, parked, and biked the last few miles. My goal is to increase the distance I'm biking and decrease the distance I'm driving over the course of the summer, until I'm biking the whole way (at least once a week).
Ride to work: 6.78 miles
Ride back from work: 9.44 miles (there was an unexpected detour, due to some flooded trails and a gate that closed early)

June 17, 2011: Went for a leisurely walk with my sister and a friend.

June 18, 2011: Stego Jam downtown.
  • Tic up to topout: Trained on a wall that starts out about 4 feet high and gradually increases to somewhere around head height. I'd train at a spot until I was getting the topout pretty smoothly, then move to a higher part of the wall and do it all over again.
  • Tic ups: Went to the higher wall at the other side of the park and worked there. Noticed some improvement since last summer: whereas last summer I was having trouble just holding a cat after the tic up, this time I was able to plant both hands solidly on top of the wall and pull my head and shoulders above the edge. This is progress!
These are so much nicer now that my foot's finally healed! :D

Offline TraceuseDS

• Patas
  • Carolyn (Carrie) S.
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: June 28, 2011, 07:41:44 PM »
June 20, 2011: Rollerskating for a couple hours. (Hey, don't knock it!) ;D

June 21, 2011: Gym day.
  • Squats:
    • 1x5, 45#
    • 1x5, 95#
    • 3x5, 135# The first two sets were a real grind, even though I know I've lifted way more than this in the past. Third set: breakthrough! If I prime my legs and tell them I'm about to jump (but don't really), the weight goes up SOOO much more smoothly and quickly! Couldn't resist upping the weight and doing a few more sets to see how much I had in me.
    • 1x5, 165#
    • 1x5, 185# Terrible, terrible depth here, but the weight went up. Don't think I should count this as a good set, but it was fun to try.
  • Dips and pullups (hammer grip): 110# assist (so I was lifting ~40# of my bodyweight). Alternated 3 sets of 5 of each.
  • Cooldown: stretching.

June 22, 2011: Swing dancing.

Offline Christopher

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #610 on: July 02, 2011, 07:39:33 AM »
Wow!This is beautiful, keep it up=)
{TEAM ONE-WAY}

Offline Hopefulpilot

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #611 on: July 02, 2011, 05:08:55 PM »
Glad to hear the foot's better!  :D

Offline TraceuseDS

• Patas
  • Carolyn (Carrie) S.
    • View Profile
« Reply #612 on: July 12, 2011, 10:43:05 AM »
Thanks for the encouragement, guys! :)

(Yikes! I haven't posted in WAAAYYY too long! Not sure I can even remember what I did...)

June 23, 2011: Gymnastics gym. Worked on flips, handstands, cartwheels, hip circles on the bar...probably other stuff, too.

June 24, 2011: Blues dancing for a couple hours.

June 26, 2011: Had a good spotter, so I started trying some backflips on the floor (heavily assisted). Palmspins on blocks and on the wall (very, very messy; the trick with these is to choose a spot on the opposite wall and look at it while I'm going around - that helped, but they still need a lot of work).

June 27, 2011: Orchestra rehearsal: 2.5 hours.

June 28, 2011: Aikido. Worked on defending when an attacker has a knife.

June 30, 2011: Orchestra rehearsal: 2.5 hours.

Offline TraceuseDS

• Patas
  • Carolyn (Carrie) S.
    • View Profile
« Reply #613 on: July 12, 2011, 01:55:12 PM »
July 1 and 2, 2011: LOTS of walking around outside and eating terrible festival food. ;D

July 4, 2011: Fourth of July! Jammed downtown with a friend. Worked on my underbars/swing-throughs on some scaffolding, chatted with a friendly police officer, and did a little work on my tic-to-climbups. (C. mentioned that driving the non-ticcing knee UP after the tic will carry you up a lot higher - it does, but it sure feels weird at first!) Ended up on a rooftop at the end of the day, with a 360 degree view of all the fireworks being set off in the various communities surrounding the city. Pretty sweet! :D

July 6, 2011: Orchestra rehearsal: 2.5 hours.

July 7, 2011: Gymnastics gym.
  • Warmup: Joint rotations, balance beam warmup.
  • A few vault combos on the balance beam.
  • Flips on the tumble track. Landed the first three!! Then I had some sort of weird mental block, and kept just jumpng onto the mat at the end of the track w/o flipping. Gave it a break, did some other stuff, and managed to do a couple more flips (which I also landed).
  • Handstand practice. Feeling off...nothing was hitting the balance point at all.
  • Cartwheels on a line. Managed to get my feet to end up on the line, but it felt like it took a lot more effort than usual.
  • Cooldown: Stretching.
Just felt generally lethargic all night. Perhaps it was because of the heat; there's no air conditioning there, so I made sure to keep sipping from my water bottle.

Offline TraceuseDS

• Patas
  • Carolyn (Carrie) S.
    • View Profile
« Reply #614 on: August 22, 2011, 08:05:46 PM »
August 22, 2011:
  • Squats:
    • 1x5, 45#
    • 1x5, 95#
    • 1x5, 135#
    • 1x5, 155# (take this one out next time)
    • 3x5, 185#
  • Row: 4x10, 50#
  • Bench: 4x5, 55#
  • Metcon: Ran intervals for 20 minutes; 1:3 ratio (walking:running), although by the end my "running" was more like "fast walking." 5 minute cooldown.

EDIT - Corrected number of reps for row.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 11:17:57 AM by TraceuseDS »

Offline TraceuseDS

• Patas
  • Carolyn (Carrie) S.
    • View Profile
« Reply #615 on: August 24, 2011, 11:17:02 AM »
August 23, 2011:
Ran intervals for 20+ minutes. 1:1 ratio (rotating 2 min of each). Distance: 1 and 2/3 miles. Managed to keep pace for the duration. 5 minute cooldown.

Offline TraceuseDS

• Patas
  • Carolyn (Carrie) S.
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: August 26, 2011, 11:33:23 AM »
August 24, 2011: Swing dancing (less time than usual).

August 25, 2011 PK jam at Oz. Did some balance work, climbing, and a few vaults. Faced down my nemesis jump (didn't get it), and worked on my broad jump and precision techniques. It's been a while since I trained broad jumps extensively; need to focus on this again and fine-tune.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 03:04:18 PM by TraceuseDS »

Offline TraceuseDS

• Patas
  • Carolyn (Carrie) S.
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: August 29, 2011, 03:03:46 PM »
August 26, 2011: Bluetopia. Blues dancing, ~4 hours. Tried using new dance shoes with a heel; the leather soles were a lot better than my athletic-taped tennis shoes (we do that sometimes to cover up the rubber soles and reduce friction between them and the floor), but OOOHHH, wowwww, the blisters I got! Switched back to my old shoes about midway through the evening. Felt much better, although I may try the new shoes again with some anti-friction substance between me and the straps (maybe one of those anti-chafing sticks I've seen at the drug store, or good, old-fashioned baby powder).

August 27, 2011: Jam downtown at UIC.
  • Worked a lot on rail balance, which I've regressed on a bit.
  • Body props between a couple of walls; I can do them, but I'm working on "walking" across the wall while suspended like that, which is a lot harder. It's fairly easy to remove a foot from the wall and replace it, but I have to try harder with my hands. C helped a bit when he mentioned that keeping my arms straight and closer to the center (rather than out to the sides) makes it easier to move them.
  • Underbars on the scaffolding. Need to remember to swing up high enough; I kept clipping various parts of myself on the lower bar.

August 28, 2011:
Morning: Swing dancing class: 1 hour. Waaayy too early, because I was trying to fit it in before church. :P
Evening: Gymnastics gym.
  • Warmup: Less dynamic stretching than I should've done. :P
  • A few cartwheels on a line.
  • Titanics, for fun.
  • A few fairly disasterous flips off the tumble track onto a large mat. Now that we can't go to our Thursday-night gym anymore, I need to find an alternate place to practice. I'm losing a lot of the muscle memory on this skill, because I've only been able to practice it once every few weeks.
  • Jump-pike-tuck, using the edge of a foam block, to help my body remember/relearn the pattern. Sigh.
  • Strides on balance beams, and off of some angled springboards.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2011, 02:20:37 PM by TraceuseDS »

Offline TraceuseDS

• Patas
  • Carolyn (Carrie) S.
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: August 29, 2011, 08:26:53 PM »
August 29, 2011:
  • Squats:
    • 1x5, 45#
    • 1x5, 95#
    • 1x5, 135#
    • 3x5, 195# Depth on my work sets has been kinda cruddy the last few times I've gone in, so I focused on sinking down until I hit that point where my muscles start to tremble, holding it a beat, and then shooting back up with my weight on my mid-foot/heel. Could still use some more work, but I like what I got tonight.
  • Row:
    • 1x5, 50#
    • 3x5, 60#
  • Bench:
    • 1x5, 55#
    • 3x5, 65# Testing my limits. It was hard, but I was able to push through it. Haven't decided yet whether to raise the weight next week or not, but I think I can do this with an extra 5#...
  • Running intervals: 20 minutes (1:1 ratio...although it started feeling too easy, so I swapped out one of the 2 min/2 min sets for 3 min running/1 min walking and did OK). Distance: just shy of 1 and 3/4 miles. 5 min cooldown.

Offline TraceuseDS

• Patas
  • Carolyn (Carrie) S.
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: September 01, 2011, 04:47:08 PM »
August 30, 2011: Aikido. Worked on back-falls, and a throw that involved making your attacker do one.

August 31, 2011: Swing class (1 hour). Swing dancing (1.5 hours). I'm trying to make the ends of my swing-outs a little smoother; I have a tendency to "pop" back when I hit the maximum range of motion. Used the old shoes because I still have blisters. :P