Author Topic: Carolyn's Training Log (TraceuseDS)  (Read 97553 times)

Offline TraceuseDS

• Patas
  • Carolyn (Carrie) S.
    • View Profile
Re: Carolyn's Training Log (TraceuseDS)
« Reply #580 on: January 28, 2011, 03:16:46 PM »
January 25, 2011:
Morning: Aikido. Worked on blocking a strike to the midsection and then pinning your attacker. The hyperflexibility in my wrists and elbows is causing problems here; no-one but the sensei seems to know quite how to pin me effectively, although they can take me down just fine.

Evening: Orchestra rehearsal, 2 hours. Worked on "The Sorcerer's Apprentice" all night, so the director took pity on us and let us all out a few minutes early. When Paul Dukas was composing that thing, he apparently didn't care if he gave the entire string section a combination of carpel tunnel syndrome and tendinitis. :P It'll be beautiful by the time we're done with it, though, painful or not. :)

January 26, 2011:
Very chill b-girling session with a friend. :) I wouldn't trade the group of guys I train with for the world, but I forget how nice it is to train with other women every once in a while. Some work on floor stuff: 6-step, C-C, etc. Not sure why, but there's one thing in particular (not sure of the name, but it looks like that Russian dance where you kick one leg out and land on the other) that keeps making my calf muscles cramp. Lots of stretching.

January 27, 2011:
  • Warmup: Couple balance beam vaults. Balance beam warmup (2x each: forward, backward, left, right, forward + dip, backward+ dip [still focusing on a lot on stability/range of motion on the left ankle]). My joint stuff. More balance beam vaults (lazy, speed, lazy-to-reverse, thief). A few *brief* handstands. Messed around for a minute or two with the climber's thing I like to practice on the underneath side of the balance beam.
  • Spent ~3 hours on flips and foundational work for them. Focused on a bunch of different things:
    • Learned a different kind of hurdle step: step, pointed-toe kick, plant both feet to jump. Won't help much on the ground, but it's a lot more effective on the tumble track (and that's where I am right now for safety reasons - time enough to fine-tune the other sort of hurdle step later). Need to leave myself more room for this one, so stride is slightly different in the lead-up.
    • Look up. You go where you look. Including off the end of the tumble track.
    • You're not absorbing a PK landing. Keep your legs straight when you're using a trampoline for height.
    • Do not lean forward when you're jumping. It kills your momentum.
    • Do not lean backward when you're jumping. It kills your spine.
    • Lead from your hips, not your shoulders, when you're jumping forward. This keeps you from tucking early and taking a header into the mat.
    • Keeping abs and back muscles tight will help the torso to move as a unit, instead of in pieces. Moving body parts forward at different speeds is detrimental to your health and the form of your flip.
    • USE YOUR ARMS. Throwing them out to the sides creates some momentum. Throwing them above your head is better.
    • You have a lot more time in the air than you think you do, when you're actually flipping more than a foot above the ground!
  • Stretched just about everything I could think of.
  • Felt very accomplished and productive the entire way home. ;D
Just take the next step.A day without a challenge is a wasted day.

Offline TraceuseDS

• Patas
  • Carolyn (Carrie) S.
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: January 29, 2011, 09:31:42 PM »
January 29, 2011:
  • Warmup: Jump rope. A few minutes of 6-step practice.
  • Hang clean:
    • 1x5, 45#
    • 3x5, 55# It's awfully demoralizing when, in the middle of a set, someone walks by openly laughing at you. Don't do it to people. Just saying.
  • Deadlift:
    • 1x5, 55#
    • 3x5, 75# Old bad habit of pushing too much with my toes reappeared in the middle set; corrected it in the last set.
  • Stretched for a few minutes.

Offline TraceuseDS

• Patas
  • Carolyn (Carrie) S.
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: February 02, 2011, 12:57:03 PM »
January 31, 2011: Just running today. 5 min walking warmup. 6 min running, 2 min walking, 6 min running, 2 min walking, 6 min running. 4 min walking cooldown. Stretched a bit.

February 1, 2011:
  • Warmup: Hiked half a mile through knee-high snow in a blizzard. (For real! :o) Pretty exhilarating, actually. And sweaty.
  • Hang clean:
    • 1x5, 45#
    • 3x5, 60# Realized I'm using my arms as an assist; tried to correct.
  • Deadlift:
    • 1x5, 60#
    • 3x5, 80# Kept cuing myself "knees out" to keep my heels on the ground.
  • Stretched long enough for most of the sweat to dry.
  • Hiked back home. Wind was to my back this time; snowdrifts were higher.

Offline TraceuseDS

• Patas
  • Carolyn (Carrie) S.
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: February 04, 2011, 10:02:09 AM »
February 2, 2011:
Shoveling. My car was buried in 3 feet of snow...INSIDE the carport. Also worked on kipping pullups on and off all day while I was snowed in. Some shoulder shrugs, too.

February 3, 2011: Probably shouldn't have attempted this, but I had bad case of "cabin fever." Major roads weren't too bad; side streets were another story entirely. Almost got stuck a couple times, but I made it!
  • Warmup: Found a piece of rope and jumped rope for a while, maybe about 5 sets of ~20, although the rope was too curly be be a real jump rope and kept getting tangled. Put my hands on the floor and feet on a wall and "walked" up the wall and back 5 times. Did my koala thing on the underside of a balance beam; traversed the beam 5 times.
  • Did my balance routine: 2x each forward, backward, left, right. Then got distracted.
  • Played around. :) Ran/jumped down the tumble track, then tried to flip over the trapezoid blocks (with one of the cheese wedge blocks propped up in front of them) and onto the mat on the other side. Lots of fun! Didn't really flip most of the time, but I didn't care as long as I cleared the block. Best attempt was when I didn't quite have the momentum to clear it, so I fell back down onto the tumble track and bounced a couple times...or maybe it was the time I double-konged up the cheese wedge and over to the other side.
  • Worked on flipping. I keep having this mental block when I'm concentrating on my stride: I can either jump properly, leading from my hips, OR I can flip. Somehow the two rarely (if ever) seem to happen at the same time. I did feel a little more confidence in throwing the flips hard at the end of the track; I think that learning how to get height when we were playing around earlier really helped with that, actually. Throughout the course of the night, I managed two flips I was pretty proud of (didn't land them, but they felt good and looked halfway decent).
Had a mild stomachache all night, so keeping my abs tight was a little more annoying than usual.

Offline TraceuseDS

• Patas
  • Carolyn (Carrie) S.
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: February 08, 2011, 01:21:12 PM »
Ack! Second page, oh noes!! Decided to take the weekend off to give myself a few rest days in a row, as my recovery times have been lagging a bit. Timing is right for extra rest, though (circa 5-6 weeks of consistent lifting); it's slightly early, but I've been taking fewer "true" rest days than usual, so that works out to put things approximately on schedule.

February 7, 2011:
  • Warmup = crap. Gym was uber-busy, and a lifting space opened up before I was done warming up, so I took it. My "warmup" amounted to a few rather unenthusiastic air squats and some joint rotations. Don't try this at home, kids! :P
  • Hang clean:
    • 1x5, 45#
    • 3x6, 60# Repeated weight at higher reps to cement the motor patterns...still trying to make sure I have the form down pat. Felt better this week, but mostly because I was paying attention, not because my muscles know what to do on their own.
  • Deadlift:
    • 1x5, 60#
    • 3x5, 85# Heels came up a little on first set, but sets 2 and 3 were good. Need to pay attention to back rounding; currently not bad, but could easily become so.
  • Cooldown: 10-15 minutes of stretching.

Offline TraceuseDS

• Patas
  • Carolyn (Carrie) S.
    • View Profile
« Reply #585 on: February 09, 2011, 08:41:52 AM »
February 8, 2011:
Morning: Aikido. Had another "discussion" about my bad roll form. :P Form's perfectly fine for PK, but it's the wrong style for aikido. I keep forgetting while I'm in the air and reverting to what feels natural, which, in this case, is wrong.

Evening: 2 hour orchestra rehearsal. Helped set up/tear down.

On the bright side, I think my hang clean form was indeed better on Monday (or at least the shrug part of it was). My traps were busy all day informing me that I'd done something with them the day before. That's a good sign; now all I need to do is make sure all the rest of the pieces fall into place, too.

Offline TraceuseDS

• Patas
  • Carolyn (Carrie) S.
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: February 10, 2011, 07:38:21 AM »
February 9, 2011:
Just running. Gradually upping the intensity to hit my goal of running a mile: 5 min walking warmup. 7 min running, 1 min walking, 6 min running, 2 min walking, 6 min running. 5 min walking cooldown.

Right elbow has been a little achy (and making odd noises) for the last couple days. Think I may have tweaked something Monday; need to remember to ice it when I get home.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 07:41:09 AM by TraceuseDS »

Offline TraceuseDS

• Patas
  • Carolyn (Carrie) S.
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: February 11, 2011, 08:45:47 AM »
February 10, 2011:
  • Warmup: Joint rotations, a little static stretching of muscles that get stiffer than the rest. Balance beam: 3x(forward, backward, left, right; started forward dip-steps, but got interrupted). Did a few sprints down the tumble track and leapt off onto the mat, mainly to jettison some excess energy that'd been hanging around all day.
  • Flips. These just didn't want to behave tonight. I feel like every week I lose 80% of what I learned the week before; I know that if I'm keeping even that 20% I'm making progress, but it's still frustrating at times.
  • Set up the foam-block obstacle at the end of the tumble track again and took turns jumping over. This was more like what I needed tonight for the mindset I was in; it felt good to concentrate on gross motor skills rather than fine-tuning.
  • More flips. I set a cylindrical foam block on its side at the end of the tumble track and practiced flipping over that. It had dual purposes: (1) My primary purpose in setting it there was so that I'd have immediate kinetic feedback when my flips were too low. I'd brush it with my head, hands, back, or whatever, and know that I wasn't high enough without having to rely on anyone else to tell me. (2) It also kept me from falling into the gap between the end of the tumble track and the mat when I was concentrating on height instead of distance and didn't go far enough horizontally.
  • Took the block away and did some flips without it. They were messy and hard, and very imprecise, but I landed on my feet a few times.

Offline TraceuseDS

• Patas
  • Carolyn (Carrie) S.
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: February 16, 2011, 08:26:48 AM »
The second chunk of in-a-row rest days just happened to correspond with festivities and a very busy weekend, so that worked out well!

February 15, 2011:
  • Warmup: Several sets of (10 air squats, 7-10 pushups, and 10 situps). People were using the weights, so I just kept going until the bar I wanted was free.
  • Hang clean:
    • 1x5, 45#
    • 1x4 + F, 65# I don't know what was wrong here. Either I seriously messed up my form somehow, in a way I do not understand, or something was "off" with my body. I was seriously struggling; this normally raises a bit of a sweat, but it was just pouring off me today. Maybe I'm fighting a cold and don't know it? Or the weights mysteriously switched from lbs to kg?? I was at a different gym than usual, so something *could* have been up with the weights or the bar, though I double-checked everything at least twice so I doubt it.
  • Deadlifts: (Decided to switch gears b/c the hang cleans felt so out of control.)
    • 1x5, 65#
    • 3x5, 85# Struggling a bit here, too, though not *quite* as much. Back rounded a couple times, I think, but I focused on keeping my spine aligned properly and fought through the reps.
  • Returned to hang cleans:
    • 1x3 + F, 65#
    • 1x5, 45# Took the weight down just so I could finish with a complete set. Wow. Ick.

Offline TraceuseDS

• Patas
  • Carolyn (Carrie) S.
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: February 17, 2011, 08:18:01 AM »
February 16, 2011: Mah birthday was today! ;D

It just so happened that the workload at my job is light right now, and the weather was beautiful (55 and sunny, ftw!), so I decided to take the afternoon off. :D As a birthday present to myself, I went to a new gym that just opened downtown and took an hour-long yoga class. It was nice! Definitely helped relax some sore muscles. :)

Offline TraceuseDS

• Patas
  • Carolyn (Carrie) S.
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: February 25, 2011, 03:10:41 PM »
Oops, recording fail. Here it is, in brief:

February 17, 2011:
  • My balance beam warmup.
  • Lots of flips. Discovered that I can get tons of height if we stack a couple of the gray blocks at the end of the tumble track and I dive/flip over them. On the bright side, my dive rolls for height are improving! :P

February 19, 2011:
  • Jumprope warmup.
  • Hang cleans:
    • 1x5, 45#
    • 3x5, 65# Still not great, but way better than Monday. Dunno what was up with that one...
  • Deadlifts:
    • 1x5, 65#
    • 3x5, 85#
  • Cooldown: Stretching, ~20 minutes.

February 20, 2011:
  • I feel like I did a warmup here...but I can't remember to say for sure.
  • Decided I wanted to clean up my cartwheels a bit, which involved kicking higher and harder, and starting/ending with my feet on a line of tape on the floor.
  • Flips...tumble track at this gym is vastly different from the one I'm used to using on Thursdays. The one I was using tonight was WAAAYYY tighter than I'm familiar with. Not sure whether that made things harder or easier...

February 22, 2011: Orchestra (2.5 h), plus lots of setup and teardown.

February 23, 2011: Swing dancing. The skillz...I does not have them. Took a class, though, before they let us loose.

February 24, 2011:
  • Decided to go hardcore on my warmup today, for some reason. Did the normal balance beam routine, including some basic vaults (I got my left-lazy to right-reverse back again, which is nice). Then did QM on the beam, back and forth a couple times. Then did the rock-climbing drill on the underside of the beam. And some more vaults.
  • Flips on the tumble track. Improving...but they still have a long way to go. Landed on my feet a couple times, but generally tapped with my head, hands, or some other body part when I was going over the foam block.
  • Somebody decided to teach me how to punch and kick things. :D It was fun.
  • Some random cartwheels.

Offline TraceuseDS

• Patas
  • Carolyn (Carrie) S.
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: March 02, 2011, 10:12:00 AM »
February 25, 2011: Went out and learned a new kind of dance: blues. It's kind of like a cousin to swing...but I like it more, because there's more freedom in the motion; everybody does it just a little bit differently. :) Felt a bit like Eliza Doolittle all night, lol. :P

February 27, 2011: 1 hour dress rehearsal, 2 hour concert. Left shoulder tensed up something fierce during the second half of the performance, as it tends to do sometimes, so it hurt like @#$ for the rest of the night.

March 1, 2011:
After work: Went to the branch of the gym by work; the more I go here, the more I'm convinced their Oly bars aren't standard weight...I'm going to add a (+) after the weight each time I lift here, because I'm not sure exactly how much the weight of these bars differs.
  • Hang clean:
    • 1x5, 45#(+)
    • 1x4 +F, 65#(+)
    • 1 +F, 65#(+) This just isn't right. My form isn't THAT far off that it'd be causing so many failures, but only on days I'm at this gym.
    • 3x5, 45#(+)
  • Deadlift:
    • 1x5, 45#(+)
    • 1x5, 65#(+)
    • 3x5, 95#(+) On the bright side, I'm still a ways away from maxing out on my deadlifts. Legs aren't straining, as long as I remember to push from my heels; I think my core's likely to fail here before they are.
  • Stretched.

After dinner:
2.5 hour rehearsal, new music. Mahler symphonies = lots of sustained effort/hard work. Helped put the chairs up and put them away. Shoulder started twinging again at the end of rehearsal; gonna see the chiropractor and have him realign it, b/c it needs help.

Offline TraceuseDS

• Patas
  • Carolyn (Carrie) S.
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: March 04, 2011, 02:40:26 PM »
March 2, 2011: Swing dancing again. Same deal, but the band was live this time around; felt slightly less awkward this week...

March 3, 2011: SUCCESS!!!
  • Warmup: Static and dynamic stretching. Tried to limit the static to stuff that was particularly tight. Played on a balance beam a bit; not really my normal warmup. Did a couple handstands to see what my shoulder was up to...
  • Flips.
    • Started off doing my standard run down the tumble track, but kept letting myself get distracted, so my footwork was off.
    • One of the gymnastics coaches was still around and saw me making a mess; she suggested standing at the end of the mat, kicking up into a handstand, and falling over in a layout a few times...I guess it was just to get used to inverting my body w/o the power of the runup?
    • Set up the barrel-shaped foam block, standing upright at the end of the tumble track. Flipped/dive-rolled over it a lot.
    • Lay the barrel down the long way on the mat at the end of the tumble track, and did dive rolls over that until they were clean.
    • Removed the barrel and commenced flipping. I actually stuck the landings 13 times!! ;D Of course, they weren't all in a row (I think I got a max of 3 consecutively); they were over the course of the night, but that's absolutely brilliant. I've got this! :D I can work on the rest later. Things I learned and need to remember: the way it feels when I push off right to get height; extending my arms properly; exactly which core muscles I'm supposed to tense but haven't been up until this point (not just the long muscles on the front of my abs and up and down my back, but the obliques all the way down to and past my hip bones, and the deep-down muscles that are beneath even those); and that I can get my rotation even if my footwork isn't perfect.
    • At some point during the night I took a break and worked on my high kicks again, kicking a target off the top of a stack of blocks about as high as my shoulder.
    • Started to get too tired to make further progress, and I was satisfied with what I'd done, so I played around doing cartwheels on tape lines on the floor. Got some of them, too. :P It was a long, exhausting, very good night.
    • Stretched for a good 20-30 minutes or so before I drove home. :)

Note to self: Left ankle was still a little tweaky from rolling it at some point last week, so it ended up getting taped somewhere in the middle of all that...I need to ice it.

Offline TraceuseDS

• Patas
  • Carolyn (Carrie) S.
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: March 08, 2011, 02:13:55 PM »
March 6, 2011:
  • Warmup: Low balance beam. 3x(forward, backward, left, right, toe-touch to the floor going forward, toe-touch to the floor going backward). Some precisions.
  • Did some flips on the tight tumble track; didn't really land any very well, but I'm still not used to the lack of bounciness here and I did see improvement from when I started to when I finished. So...c'est la vie.
  • Learned a new flip: "the Titanic," lulz. It's more of a fear-conquering exercise than a real flip; can't decide whether it's good or bad that I wasn't scared at all and got a pretty decent one on my first attempt. 'Course, the fact that I was in a gym with a really nice foam pit helped matters, but this wouldn't have been the case even a year ago.
  • Some cartwheels along tape lines; getting straighter and placing my feet with more control at the end. Still not as clean as I want these, but they're getting there.
  • Did just enough pullup-related work to realize I've lost some ground here. Need to remember to do some GTG with my door pullup bar at home.

Offline TraceuseDS

• Patas
  • Carolyn (Carrie) S.
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: March 23, 2011, 10:42:00 AM »
Oops...

March 8, 2011: Orchestra: Rehearsal, mini-concert with kids, real rehearsal. Looooonnnng day; left shoulder was bothering me.

March 9, 2011: Dance: Swing.

March 10, 2011: Gymnastics gym: Balance beam warmup. Flips, but I wasn't landing nearly as well as last week. >:( Some kicks somewhere in there, and  a lot of bouncing on a trampoline to get me to throw my arms when I jump (rather than doing my bizarre t-rex move with them :P).

March 11, 2011: Dance: Lindy/blusey/swing.

March 12, 2011: A few miles of walking; a little clubby dancing.

March 15, 2011: Aikido: Got some good one-on-one time with an instructor.
Orchestra: Rehearsal (Mahler!!).

March 16, 2011: PK: First jam of the year!!! The weather was perfect. :) And I got a wall-run/top-out I've been trying to get for the last 2 summers!! On my first try! ;D Also did a whole lot of wall-runs and top-outs in other places, and did that "Titanic" thing outside...because it's goofy and awesome.
Dance: Swing.

March 17, 2011: Gymnastics gym: Only got about an hour and a half or so of practice time in, because I went to an orchestra concert beforehand. Chest and shoulders were super tight from all the top-outs I was doing at the jam the day before, so I was trying to balance things out with a lot of pulling motions. Did just enough hip circles on the bars to get my hip bones all bruised up. Worked on my underbars; tried to correct my grip, which has been causing me to smash my left thumb into the bar. I think I got that resolved; now all I need to do is remember to do it the right way outside. Also realized that the vault's a lot stronger when I remember to flatten out my body as I go through the gap (rather than tucking).

March 19, 2011: Dance: A swingy mix. A lot of the movements felt weird because my entire torso was tight from all the stuff I've been doing this week...

March 20, 2011: Gymnastics gym: Lots of random stuff. Balance beam warmup. Cartwheels on a line. Handstand work. Wall-runs with a stack of mats (couldn't do the top-out at the end b/c the stack was too wobbly, but I practiced hand placement as if I was going to top out). Used some rock-climbing-like gear to simulate pulling myself up one of those tiny rope ladders they use for grip. My mind was elsewhere...
Standard gym: Decided I needed to go lift, because it'd been WAY too long. Used the empty 45# oly bar and did it like a metcon: 4x(5 hang cleans + 5 deadlifts). Figured that'd remind my nervous system what it was supposed to be doing w/o overloading my muscles after I'd already done a lot of work that day. I actually really liked this; I may have to try it with weight sometime.

March 22, 2011: Orchestra: Rehearsal, some setup/teardown.

Offline TraceuseDS

• Patas
  • Carolyn (Carrie) S.
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: March 29, 2011, 09:09:16 AM »
March 23, 2011: Swing.

March 24, 2011: Gymnastics gym.
  • Balance beam warmup.
  • Bars: Hip circles, brachiation.
  • Front flips. Starting to land these on my feet every so often (tumble track to mat), even without jumping over the barrel block. :) They're far from consistent yet, but they're going in the right direction. Starting to use my arms a little more; that also has a long way to go, but is improving.

March 25, 2011: Blues (still my fave). Learned some new stuff, most important part being: move from straight knees to bent knees; don't keep your knees bent allllll the time.

March 27, 2011: Standard gym.
  • Warmup: Mostly fail. Jogging up some stairs, if that counts.
  • Hang clean:
    • 1x5, 45#
    • 3x5, 55#
  • Deadlift:
    • 1x5, 55#
    • 3x5, 65# (You know you're doing these right when you leave chalk marks all the way up the front of your legs. :P)
Probably could've gone heavier on everything, but felt a cold coming on; I decided to err on the side of caution and not push the envelope as much as I could've.

Offline TraceuseDS

• Patas
  • Carolyn (Carrie) S.
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: April 01, 2011, 04:35:17 PM »
March 29, 2011: Yeah, that cold definitely decided to show up. Bleh.
Orchestra: 2.5 hours.

March 30, 2011:
Gymnastics class-thingie. Touched briefly on a lot of basics (which I'm still trying to get a handle on): Jumps; jumps with a 180- or 360-degree turn; gymnast-style rolls; dive rolls; handstand falls; handstand falls with a turn; palm-spins, scaled down in my case to the standard precursor; flips from a super-squishy tumble track up onto a higher mat.

Dance: Class + swing.

March 31, 2011: Gymnastics gym.
  • Warmup: Joint rotations. Balance-beam warmup.
  • A few kipping pullup attempts.
  • Handstand work. Haven't done this in a while.
  • Blocking practice on the tumble track. Watched some stuff about blocking while I was home sick this week (this, in particular, was helpful); tried to play around with some of the concepts until they felt right.
  • Flips on the tumble track. I'm landing on my feet a lot now. :D It's by no means consistent, but it's certainly encouraging! I'm trying to work on throwing my arms, and eventually I plan to focus on tucking, too (tried that a few times this week, but it didn't go so well; my rotation gets all out of control and I can't figure out my landing at all). Still need to remember to jump UP whenever I do this.
  • Cooldown: A very decent amount of stretching.
  • Did a few random kongs over the trapezoid blocks, but I was too tired for them to be much of a learning experience. :P
Stopped early this week b/c I was still tiring pretty quickly after that cold.

Offline TraceuseDS

• Patas
  • Carolyn (Carrie) S.
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: April 08, 2011, 02:08:51 PM »
April 3, 2011: Gymnastics gym.
Training kind of jumped from thing to thing tonight, without really focusing as much as I could've, but that's OK every once in a while. Still had a bit of a cold (got a fever on Friday), so this was my first time out after a bunch of rest days.
  • Warmup: I honestly don't remember...
  • Strides and some precisions on the balance beams.
  • Some front flips on the tight tumble track. Not bad. Someone suggested arcing one arm down and across my body as I was rotating over; not knowing what it'd do, I tried it. It twists you all over the place!! Landed in a heap the few times I tried it, but it was fun! Apparently this is called an "arabian" (when you do it right, which I wasn't).
  • Cartwheels, trying to land on a tape line. Started getting this fairly constistently, so I started practicing on one of the soft-ish 1-inch-high beams...stubbed my toe, as usual. :P
  • A few flips from the super-bouncy trampoline onto the tall mat, and a few off the edge of a foam pit.
  • Headstand by the wall, trying to do press-up negatives.
  • Playing around hanging upside down by my knees on the parallel bars.

April 5, 2011:
Aikido: Some walking/turning drills, trying to stay on a line. Practiced some techniques using ikkyo to control an attacker if you don't get it right the first time...

Orchestra. Minimal setup; 2.5 hour practice.

Ankle rehab: Started doing this off and on every day at work, somewhere around Tuesday. Icing frequently. Idea is to regain some flexibility/stability in my left ankle, which is just one big mass of scar tissue at this point. :P

April 7, 2011:Gymnastics gym. Left shoulder started acting up unexpectedly just as I was on my way there; moderate amount of pain, and definitely pulling higher than the other.
  • As an antidote to the shoulder issues (which are generally caused, in my case, by muscles in my chest and the front of my shoulders pulling too tight compared to those across my back), I decided to go in the back room and lift some weights to see whether I could encourage my body to realign itself a bit.
    • Hang clean: 2x5, bar(felt a lot like my 12# bar at home, definitely not a 45# Oly bar) + 20#
    • Deadlift: 1x5, bar + 20#
    • Power clean practice:
      • 1x5, bar + 20#
      • 5 or 6 doubles, with some singles thrown in: bar + 50#
  • Trampoline: trying to jump, rotate 360 degrees, and land cleanly. Got some; didn't get others.
  • Flips were TERRIBLE. Narrowly missed landing on my head a couple times, and couldn't even talk myself into committing enough TO flip a bunch of times. Chalk it up to a bad session? Took a break to mess with other skills and clear my head; slightly better when I came back (at least I was flipping instead of just jumping off the tumble track onto the mat), but still not my normal level.
  • Some vaults by the balance beam; gave those up as a bad job when they started irritating both my shoulder AND a stressed muscle near my right hip.
  • Stretched some.

Offline TraceuseDS

• Patas
  • Carolyn (Carrie) S.
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: April 19, 2011, 02:27:08 PM »
April 9, 2011: Beginner's Jam.
Group warmup: dynamic stretching, joint rotations, jumping, jogging. Led a workshop on rolls and proper landings. Worked a little on my own stuff, but not much: climbups, short precisions across gaps.

April 10, 2011: Rambling walk; that's about it. Recovery day.

April 11, 2011: Swing dancing downtown; small, hot venue...need to bring water next time!

April 13, 2011: Swing class + dancing. Left early.

April 14, 2011: Warmup: joint rotations, stretching, balance-beam warmup. Helped a brand-new traceuse learn some PK basics: rolls, tuck jumps...baby precisions, sorta. Did some flip work on my own, but didn't get a lot of that in before it was time to go home (need to remember NOT to bend at the hips when I'm blocking).

April 15, 2011: Went to a concert. Lots of walking to get to the venue, standing/jumping/dancing around when I got there.

April 16, 2011: Dress rehearsal, 3 hours in the AM. Walked a lot again.

April 17, 2011: Pre-concert rehearsal (~1 hour), then a concert. Mahler is exhausting!!!
Gymnastics gym:
  • Standard joint warmup stuff.
  • Learning how to juggle...on a balance beam?!?
  • Little bit of handstand work.
  • Cartwheels on a line. Trying to feel that push/lift UP when my hips go straight over my head, rather than just powering through the whole thing (which generally makes my form crooked).
  • A little work with blocking on the tumble track...but stopped that when the pizza I ate (*right* before training... x_x) started threatening to do unpleasant things when I went inverted.
  • A few headstand-press negatives...only the first one was really good.
  • Stretched a whole lot.

Offline TraceuseDS

• Patas
  • Carolyn (Carrie) S.
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: April 27, 2011, 02:24:10 PM »
April 19, 2011: Aikido.

April 20, 2011: Dancing; skipped the class, but came for everything else.

April 21, 2011: Gymnastics gym.
  • Warmup: Joint rotations, balance beam.
  • Did some basic rolls, helping someone else.
  • Flips on the tumble track. Tried to do sets of 5-10, then stop, do one of the things listed below, and return to flipping. Most of the flips were pretty messy...
    • Headstand press negatives.
    • Flow work by the balance beams. Started working on getting my lazy (left) followed by reverse (right). Lost it after last summer.
    • Ankle rehab/exercises.
    • Handstand practice (averaged about a second).
    • Some exercises that had to do with my core, and integrating it properly into movements.
  • Stretched.

April 23, 2011: Jam downtown! ;D
  • Worked on a pattern (there are too many pauses to call it "flow" work yet): Climb up and top out on a head-height wall; precision down to the far side; pop up to the top of the wall (chest height on this side); jump down and roll.
  • Handstand practice in the grass.
  • Wall runs up the C-shaped wall by the aquarium. Managed to grab the rail at the top and climb up, but only the very last time before we moved to the next spot.
  • Stair jumps, and running stair jumps. Got to the 3rd and 4th steps, respectively; I think I have another step in me...certainly for the running one.
  • Assorted climbing around on several structures...
  • Bear crawl down the *really big* stairs at the river.

April 26, 2011: Gym...
  • Warmup: Some deadlifts and hang cleans with the empty (45#) bar.
  • Power clean practice:
    • 1x5, 45#
    • 3x5, 55# Mostly still going for form, but it's starting to feel good; I wanted at least a little weight on there...