Author Topic: UFC!!!!  (Read 7392 times)

psycosis12

UFC!!!!
« on: April 06, 2006, 05:04:27 PM »
okay im not watching "fake" stuff now im watching UFC now who is watching it? im waiting for Ultimate fighter 3 to come on at 10 i can't friggen wait.............

Gearsighted

Re: UFC!!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2006, 05:08:41 PM »
I haven't watched UFC in quite a while, but I did get to do some training with Chuck Liddell's coach John Hackleman when I went to the Crossfit certification in Santa Cruz. He was a cool guy...intimidating as shit, but really nice once you got over the black toenails, dark sunglasses, goatee...oh yeah, and the beating people up thing ;)

Offline Kiba

• Guenons
  • A jack of all trades, a master of none.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2006, 04:58:12 PM »
Season premier was last night. ^.^ I'm a big fan of the UFC, and if everything goes fine, I'm hoping to join later on in life. With of course PK whenever I can. (lol use it for endurance) And Gear, you're a jucky S-O-B you know that... lol.
Nyah...

Offline Johnny Taylor

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • Formerly known as "pyr02"
    • View Profile
    • Lol, Myspace
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2006, 06:14:58 PM »
UFC is the best. Did you see the best knockouts thing? I only caught the beginning but it was awesome.

psycosis12

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2006, 06:21:13 PM »
yeah i saw it, part one and two, OMF it was amazing i saw this one where this ju-juitsu guy elbowed the sh1t outta the other guy one elbow was enough because the guy was knocked out but he hit him with about 15 more i swear before the ref knew he was out

Offline Andy Animus Tran

• Hirundo Rustica
  • The Invisible Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2006, 01:16:04 PM »
As a martial artist, I really hate UFC.  It's just like they took a bunch of street fighters and put them in a pen.  There's no form wahtsoever.  All they do is physical training.  They don't learn how to fight and they don't train in fighting.  It's just not fun to watch.
Andy Tran, C.S.C.S.
Lead Parkour Instructor
Urban Evolution
Parkour Virginia

psycosis12

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2006, 01:37:57 PM »
i'll admit, UFC is street fighting, except when it comes to submissions, but i do watch kickboxing and boxing alot too...........

Gearsighted

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2006, 02:23:48 PM »
Hmmm...sorry, but street-fighting is actual REAL fighting. If you get into a situation outside of the dojo, it won't be contained within the strictures of some form you learned. I think that MMA is quite a bit more useful than most of the "pure" martial arts as far as practical self-defense is concerned.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2006, 03:40:46 PM by gear »

psycosis12

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2006, 02:31:59 PM »
you both have good points now STFU!  ;D

Stereo29

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2006, 07:50:59 PM »
As a martial artist, I really hate UFC.  It's just like they took a bunch of street fighters and put them in a pen.  There's no form wahtsoever.  All they do is physical training.  They don't learn how to fight and they don't train in fighting.  It's just not fun to watch.

That is actually really wrong. Almost all UFC fighters have martial arts backgrounds, at least the good ones.  Most have experience in multiple martial arts.  If you ever watch UFC, they often discuss the fighter's style knowledge and training, and how it will help or cripple them.

Offline Andy Animus Tran

• Hirundo Rustica
  • The Invisible Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2006, 05:22:32 AM »
Hmmm...sorry, but street-fighting is actual REAL fighting. If you get into a situation outside of the dojo, it won't be contained within the strictures of some form you learned. I think that MMA is quite a bit more useful than most of the "pure" martial arts as far as practical self-defense is concerned.

Outside of a dojo, proper fighting techniques will always be superior.  You don't need rules.  You need to know how to react and how to disable.  You need to know how to move.  Street fighting may be real fighting, but it's an inferior form of fighting and will never stand up to a martial artist.

As for Stereo, I really don't care waht they say or what they've trained in.  They never show anything other than mindless techniques.  The only time I see any form is when it happens to be Muay Thai fighters and that's essentially a kickboxing discipline.  It's heavy-hitting and a good style, but I'd rather see real fighting with real training.  Whatever they have learned, they sure don't use it.
Andy Tran, C.S.C.S.
Lead Parkour Instructor
Urban Evolution
Parkour Virginia

psycosis12

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2006, 07:51:42 AM »
well you can't really say mindless because there submissions aren't mindless their wrestling isn't mindless and there punchnig is the only thing you can say is mindless, and there kicks aren't mindless so STFU!!!! :P

Offline DeadPool

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • cats have a high risk of breast cancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2006, 11:08:05 AM »
They never show anything other than mindless techniques

animus light .. you obviously do not know what you are talking about.  those fighters are not mindless fighters. take royce gracie for example .. probably the best grapler in the world . one of the top in gracie jujitsu a martial where with out a very high I.Q. .. you are S.O.L. because you need to learn how your oponint works .. as you are fighting them .. then think of different ways to beat them into submission .. as for infior ... royce gracie once fought a kung fu expert who had been traing for 15 years .... ryoce wooped his ass ... heres the video.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7076063312262742465&q=royce+gracie&pl=true

and what about Sakuraba. they dont call him the I.Q. fighter for no reason ... he is an ingenious fighter ... and a bit crazy..  but yeah you dont know what your talking about.

and i didnt see the premier of the ufc .. but im definitly watching the royce gracie fight on may 27th =]

Gearsighted

« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2006, 11:52:35 AM »
Animus, I'm wondering if you've ever been in a fight? I've seen numerous "experts" in their various disciplines have to hold their own in an actual fight, and it very rarely looks anything close to their "style". More often than not, it resembles what happens in the UFC. I am all for established martial arts, but by grasping too tightly to any one style, you cultivate its various weaknesses as your own. That is what's great about MMA, it's mixed to feature the most effective styles for winning fights, period. Where I would debate this fact is in the grappling-only styles that come to prominence. As good as Royce Gracie is, if he was fighting any more than that one person, he'd get the shit beat out of him while he was rolling around on the ground. This, once again, is the downside of relying solely on any one style.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2006, 11:57:44 AM by gear »

Offline DeadPool

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2006, 12:38:55 PM »
thats why bruce lee is a god.

psycosis12

« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2006, 12:49:59 PM »
thats why bruce lee is a god.
bruce lee isn't god, god is bruce lee!

Offline DeadPool

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2006, 02:10:57 PM »
was :'(

psycosis12

« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2006, 02:18:15 PM »
yeah, its sad that he is gone! damn Damn DAMN!

Gearsighted

« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2006, 05:09:30 PM »
alright psychosis, lay off the post button for a minute or two...the 3 word posts telling people to STFU have dragged this topic down a bit lower than it has to be ;)

Offline The Manilla Gorilla

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Banana Boat?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2006, 07:58:15 AM »
That is what's great about MMA, it's mixed to feature the most effective styles for winning fights, period. Where I would debate this fact is in the grappling-only styles that come to prominence. As good as Royce Gracie is, if he was fighting any more than that one person, he'd get the shit beat out of him while he was rolling around on the ground. This, once again, is the downside of relying solely on any one style.

Just like in Evoluton (and Parkour) Diversity is key for survival, like gear said if you only have one fighting style, then more likley then not you are less likley to be able to adapt to any situation. Its the same in parkour, if you only train one move then you will be good at that move, but that move isn't always going to be the most apporate to use. So  you train a variety of moves on different surfaces, heights, angles, etc. So that you can be able to go in to your repitoir and use anyone of these, in any situation.