Author Topic: Friends...won't stop.......  (Read 7562 times)

Offline Samuel96

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Bear hunter-3rd in command
    • View Profile
Friends...won't stop.......
« on: September 24, 2008, 06:59:40 AM »
OK, I used to brush my  teeth badly. Now I do it very well. And I am losing weight. But my friends keep on teasing me about it. Can anyone tell me how to make them stop. It's really annoying.

Offline ensō

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • Been too long. Back in training.
    • View Profile
Re: Friends...won't stop.......
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2008, 07:25:46 AM »
brushing your teeth helps you lose weight?

hmmm....

just tell em to knock it off..  if they dont, get new friends.

Offline Andy Animus Tran

• Hirundo Rustica
  • The Invisible Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2008, 09:50:13 AM »
...uh.. just.. what are they teasing you about?
Andy Tran, C.S.C.S.
Lead Parkour Instructor
Urban Evolution
Parkour Virginia

Offline Brandan Mendenhall

• Hirundo Rustica
  • [est. 1988]
    • View Profile
    • Arizona Parkour
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2008, 12:24:59 PM »
Just tell them, seriously, that it bothers you.

There's nothing wrong with losing weight (even if it is by brushing your teeth... which I don't fully understand). Especially if they're heavyset, in which case they're probably jealous. People shouldn't ever make fun of another person for trying to better themselves.
Your obstacle is my shortcut.

Offline Samuel96

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2008, 02:41:02 PM »
Just tell them, seriously, that it bothers you.

There's nothing wrong with losing weight (even if it is by brushing your teeth... which I don't fully understand). Especially if they're heavyset, in which case they're probably jealous. People shouldn't ever make fun of another person for trying to better themselves.

Ok, we were all about the same size. Then I started to lose weight. Not super noticeable, (like ) to l) but a reasonable amount. There always like "You need to lose some weight." And ONE of them is like "Eww! Your teeth are yellow!" And I reply, "Last time you said that they were perfect. Knock it off. Then they confide. (I have really good hearing) It sounds like "Ya he really does." (Which isn't true.)

So he asked me how I brush, what toothpaste I use. So I say I don't use toothpaste you don't need it ect. Then he said "If you don't use it they must be horrible." And I told him, My dentist said you don't need it. Then he denies ever saying that then says. Well....if you don't use toothpaste your teeth will be scratched. Lol obnoctious.

Tomorrow I'm gonna confront them about everything they say that's untrue.

I think I might go to the principle.

Offline Dan Elric

• Ambassador
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2008, 02:47:04 PM »
They aren't friends if they won't stop.

Offline Ryan Nicolai

• Ambassador
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Notorius Buttmunch
    • View Profile
    • Hehehe
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2008, 02:48:19 PM »
That's when you just punch them in the mouth. 8)

“The character that takes command in moments of crucial choices has already been determined by a thousand other choices made earlier in seemingly unimportant moments." ~ Ronald Reagan

Offline Shae Perkins

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Texas tough
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2008, 05:15:53 PM »
I agree with Daniel up there. If these guys really jack with you that much, they might not really be the best friends, hmm? Confront them verbally. Tell them to stop. If they don't, then well I don't condone violence usually, but you might want to pop 'em in the mouth :\
This post was based off of my personal gatherings. Enjoy:)

Offline Ryan Nicolai

• Ambassador
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Notorius Buttmunch
    • View Profile
    • Hehehe
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2008, 05:19:46 PM »
Tell them to stop. If they don't, then well I don't condone violence usually, but you might want to pop 'em in the mouth :\

Haha.

Just my inner fratboy. Seriously, just confront them verbally and don't beat around the bush.

“The character that takes command in moments of crucial choices has already been determined by a thousand other choices made earlier in seemingly unimportant moments." ~ Ronald Reagan

Offline ensō

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • Been too long. Back in training.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2008, 10:54:02 AM »
i have a better question.
Why are you finding it offensive that people are making fun of brushing your teeth?

just seems like such a petty argument to even give even the slightest dimmer of a damn about. IMO of course...

[WTF]

Offline CyanideSoda

• Puntastic
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • I didn't know you could put words here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2008, 10:59:20 AM »
Toothpaste has the ability to whiten your teeth using flouride. But that aside, tell them to quit it or you'll beat them up. And if they are still talking smack punch them in the face. Make them look like this > :-X <

The ReTraining Logs of CyanideSoda
  Post constructive comments please.

Offline Jackson Miller

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Formerly Entity
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2008, 04:48:58 PM »
I have never heard of brushing your teeth without toothpaste...

• Hirundo Rustica
  • [est. 1988]
    • View Profile
    • Arizona Parkour
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2008, 01:55:29 PM »
I mean technically, no, you don't really NEED toothpaste. It helps of course, with the flouride and whatnot, and it leaves your mouth feeling minty fresh  ;D I actually know a few people who rarely use it, and their teeth look fine. It's just a preference, I guess.

So you have a couple options.

1) Just ignore them/make fun of them back/take it as a joke. My friends and I mess around with each other like that all the time. If they are really just messing with you, don't let it get to you.

2) If you can't handle option one, and it really DOES bother you, tell them. And, again, if they don't stop, ditch them. Or punch them. Friends know when to stop.

Offline Samuel96

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2008, 03:33:48 PM »
Thanks guys for the support. Well, my chest is getting smaller  [WTF] as well as the problem.

Offline deltron3030

• Patas
  • l2p
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2008, 04:15:47 PM »
dude i have the same problem

my friends have always been likea  group of girls..

its like omg ur friends with that gurl??? GROSS DUDE WTF

DUDE UR SOO FAT...  even tho im not...

and they give me bullshit

best thing to do is just let it slide and hang with differnet ppl tell they cool off..

thats waht i did.. and now me and my old friends  are cool but if they ever act gay i tell them to stfu
or i just walk away..

Offline Cord Zwirner

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2008, 05:23:05 PM »

hmmm....

Lol Epic. I'm Sigging that  :)

hmmm....

Offline Samuel96

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2008, 05:54:27 PM »
its like omg ur friends with that gurl??? GROSS DUDE WTF
LOL same exact problem.

Offline Jake Vigil

• Epically Awesome
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Be the Change you wish to see in the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2008, 06:59:45 PM »
Jesus, you guys make me feel good about my friends.

My friends, every single one of them, are the type of people that would stand next to me against an Army, wielding nothing but baseball bats.

I trust them with my life, and know they trust me with theirs (and this trust has been put to the test on a few occasions)
My friends never tear me down, they only build me up. Always, regardless of how badly I f#ck up (and believe me, ive f#cked up pretty badly).

You guys need friends like mine.
Life is what you make of it.
Training Log

Offline Alissa J. Bratz

• Hirundo Rustica
  • middle-aged man in mom's basement eating Fritos
    • View Profile
    • wisconsinparkour.com
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2008, 02:14:01 PM »
Part of being the age you are, Samuel, is that you are learning to navigate more mature/complex friendships. And since people your age mature at different rates, that can be some pretty rocky navigation. Chances are your friends are maybe a little bit jealous of the fact that you are losing weight and getting stronger. I can tell from your other posts that parkour is becoming really important to you and you are showing some real dedication, which takes a very strong person. So your friends may be a little intimidated by this maturity you're showing, and they're dealing with it by calling you out on it.

But in the end all you can do is lead by example. Some may eventually come along with you and some may not, that is how friendships go. So just keep up with your training and what feels right to you. Let your friends know that their comments and behavior bother you, and leave it at that. If they keep it up, no need to make a big drama about it, just find some new friends (I know it can seem scary to do that, especially if you have been friends with those guys for a long time). But just find someone new to sit with at lunch, to start with, and see where it goes.

Eventually your friends will wonder why you "ditched" them, and you can tell them, "Because you guys were bothering me, and I asked you to stop, and you didn't. You weren't being a friend to me." But always leave the door open to them to still be friends if they eventually come around to understanding. Hostility will just make it worse.

Hope that helps. Good luck! :)
She followed slowly, taking a long time,
as though there were some obstacle in the way;
and yet: as though, once it was overcome,
she would be beyond all walking, and would fly.
--excerpt from Going Blind, Rainer Maria Rilke

www.madisonparkour.com

• Hirundo Rustica
  • [est. 1988]
    • View Profile
    • Arizona Parkour
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2008, 02:39:05 PM »
Jesus, you guys make me feel good about my friends.

My friends, every single one of them, are the type of people that would stand next to me against an Army, wielding nothing but baseball bats.

I trust them with my life, and know they trust me with theirs (and this trust has been put to the test on a few occasions)
My friends never tear me down, they only build me up. Always, regardless of how badly I f#ck up (and believe me, ive f#cked up pretty badly).

You guys need friends like mine.

Werd.

Edit: Went searching for some articles about this tooth-brushing mystery.

"The toothbrush may be the single most overlooked tool in weight loss. Why? It controls your portions and can limit your binging.

To fully grasp this argument, let's start with the obvious. Nothing tastes good with toothpaste. And even if you think chocolate tastes okay--something that is debatable, at best--regular flavored Listerine or some other medicine--tasting mouthwash will certainly make just about everything taste bad.

Cook a reasonable portion, walk away, brush your teeth and you're done eating for a while. Dieting does not get easier than this.

The benefits of brushing do not end there, however. Say you are having cravings, but you don't want to eat. The lowly toothbrush suddenly becomes your friend. By the time you walk to the bathroom, brush your teeth, swish some mouthwash and walk back, there is a reasonable chance that your craving will be gone. And even if it isn't, you really not going to want to eat anything, anyway.

There are additional benefits. Brush for a full two minutes--the minimum time dentists recommend brushing--3x a day and you burn nearly 5500 calories a year. That's an extra 1.5 pounds off of your waistline just for doing something that you should be doing anyway. Your teeth will be healthier, which means less time in the dentist chair. Most importantly, your teeth will be whiter, and that will make you feel better about yourself."

---http://www.actabit.com/blog/eve-collette/the-toothbrush-a-calorie-fighter

« Last Edit: October 08, 2008, 02:45:31 PM by Brandan Mendenhall »