Author Topic: Making Time For Parkour  (Read 2867 times)

Offline nymbis

• Guenons
    • View Profile
Making Time For Parkour
« on: April 03, 2006, 09:16:49 PM »
I have had this question for quite some time now and I like to see what everyone thinks. Being in school, running hurdles for track, being in Symphonic Winds for school, and what not, I have been having problems making time to practice parkour. Right now it seems that the only time I can really practice is mainly when summer hits or whenever I can make time ( Which happens to be about every other Saturday for about 2 hours).This lack of time has made me some what frustrated for I'd very much like to improve. I was curious if anyone was having similar troubles, etc. Sorry if this is posted in the wrong board.

Offline Brian Belida

• doc akh
  • Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • OPEN BEAR POSTURE
    • View Profile
    • appropriately untitled
Re: Making Time For Parkour
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2006, 09:43:06 PM »
Ahh yes; being a senior in college right now I can identify. It's definitely a crazy busy time of my life, but it's just like the title of this thread says- you make time. :]

Regardless of how busy we may be, there's always a free moment somewhere in the day. Be it an hour, 2 hours, or half an hour even! Every monday between my Quantitative Research Methods class which ends at 4:30 and my Quantitative Research Methods lab that starts at 5:00, I meet up with Disciple and train for half an hour [or more and be late :p]

It is sometimes frustrating, but I know for at least me that I don't necessarily have to be outside to be training for parkour. Stuck inside doing homework? Take a 5 minute break and do some handstands or l-sits. Or got a long hallway available? Get some masking tape and mark off precision jumps. There's a lot of "homebrew" ways you can train techniques, or just workout in general to improve.

If you need something more tangible and closer to home, I know when I get the chance I'm going to take Gear's cue and manufacture my own backyard training playground! Gear - you should post up some pics. He's got rings hanging from a sturdy tree, a homemade 24' high box for whatever you will, a balance beam made out of some wooden planks, an old tire to hit with a hammer, and two small slightly raised wooden beams to balance on while tossing a medicine ball back and forth [if you have a mate available.]

So there's lot's you can do to train for parkour that isn't time consuming and that I'm sure you have some free time in the day for. Like I said, it's not necessarily actually doing parkour, but it can only help!

Offline urbanparkourdude

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
    • Urban parkour
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2006, 11:59:33 PM »
I don't have much time to do much PK going though life thinking about what kind of job that I would like to do and fighting to revise and do my GCSE I can see why that might be differcult. You just have to take time and find time.

upk.proboards2.com

Gearsighted

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2006, 02:39:21 AM »
Yep, as soon as I get some time (pun) and a camera, I'll be posting a couple of articles about manufacturing your own training tools.

I think that everybody knows what it's like to be short on time. One thing that I've found is that if you really take a close look at what you do each day, there are probably little bits here and there that aren't necessary and add up to plenty of time for training. For me, I found that I could make excuses for not getting things done, while I ended up watching one or two hours of TV each day. So, I got rid of cable, and haven't missed it since. Now, if I watch TV, it's the occasional DVD, but on a daily basis I'm saving at least 45 minutes to an hour.

Offline The Manilla Gorilla

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Banana Boat?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2006, 05:22:40 AM »
Yeah, I agree with what everyone has been saying, I'd like to add that parkour isn't always physical, You can adapt it to overcome mental obstacles as well. And Keeping with the time mangment thing, I've had to really prioritize my life, in order to squueze in some Training,th eonly time i really canb is on the weekends. My weekneds are pretty much like this
Friday: school, then freinds then sleep.
Saturday:Work, a Jam, Eat sleep
Sunday:(which i finally got back from the Winter workshops) Resting my injuries/school work 
« Last Edit: April 04, 2006, 05:31:10 AM by The Manilla Gorilla »

Offline nymbis

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2006, 02:40:59 PM »
Hey thanks much. Yeah, I actually do this (See quote). Dont get me wrong, it helps but Id like to get out more. After reading your comments, I think I have an idea of what I can do to gain some more time. Quick question ( I wont post this in the technique forum) but what are l-sits? Never heard of them. I do the basics.. crunches, sit ups, handstand push ups, etc.

Take a 5 minute break and do some handstands or l-sits. Or got a long hallway available? Get some masking tape and mark off precision jumps.

« Last Edit: April 04, 2006, 04:13:52 PM by nymbis »

Offline Johnny Boy

• Hirundo Rustica
  • DCPK
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2006, 04:04:46 PM »
lol, a tire to hit with a hammer. Wish I had one of those.
*Godamn Algebra... POW!*
:o
life is too short, so love the one you got
-Sublime

Offline ERI104

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2006, 05:19:38 PM »
what i do is wake up early for training on saturdays and make a point to train every sat.
I am the Egyptian Monkey

things people have called parkour
1) popcorn
2) park whore
3) par four
4) pa coop

Offline nymbis

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2006, 08:36:58 PM »
Yeah, Im up early on Saturdays too.. But Im not exactly doing parkour. Im at track practice running hurdles. Im thinking more of sunday afternoons. And, I didnt quite get that... whats an "L-sit" again?

Offline fastt

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2006, 10:27:14 PM »
i'm tryin to make time for me to practice. i got regular school from 6:35am-1:14pm. i just chill for a little bit then i got night school from 2:52pm-8:14pm. and then on the weekends i work  :'(. so it's hard for me to squeeze in time to train. i'll be quitting pretty soon because it's my senior year and i just wanna have fun so that'll mean more time to train ;D

Offline Brian Belida

• doc akh
  • Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • OPEN BEAR POSTURE
    • View Profile
    • appropriately untitled
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2006, 10:33:27 PM »
Yeah, Im up early on Saturdays too.. But Im not exactly doing parkour. Im at track practice running hurdles. Im thinking more of sunday afternoons. And, I didnt quite get that... whats an "L-sit" again?

This is an L-Sit :] http://beastskills.com/L%20Seat.htm