Author Topic: eating before a race  (Read 7833 times)

Offline Chris Salvato

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Eat. Move. Improve.
    • View Profile
    • Chris Salvato
Re: eating before a race
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2008, 03:09:06 PM »
This is slightly off-topic, but I've been meaning to ask you Chris.
Have you seen the commercials that are pro- high fructose corn syrup? They seem pretty ridiculous to me. (not to mention the commercials seem really awkward as a
whole)

Yeh they are bogus and an insult to the public, imho.

I have something to add for teddy grams.  Teddy grams don't fill you up because NOT ALL CARBS ARE THE SAME!  Teddy grams have the type of carbs that burn fast and don't fill you up.  Fruits and veggies have carbs that burn slowly and do fill you up.
And it just so happens fast burning carbs are horrible!

Well sort of...

Once sugars get into the blood they are all pretty much the same.

The carbs in teddy grahams are higher in GI with no fiber and very little fat and protein to slow their absorption.  Fruits and veggies have a lower GI which means it takes longer for them to get into the blood which is better for energy levels and insulin response.

You aren't wrong, pre-se -- just not right ;)

Offline Dan Elric

• Ambassador
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2008, 03:13:48 PM »
Well sort of...

Once sugars get into the blood they are all pretty much the same.

The carbs in teddy grahams are higher in GI with no fiber and very little fat and protein to slow their absorption.  Fruits and veggies have a lower GI which means it takes longer for them to get into the blood which is better for energy levels and insulin response.

You aren't wrong, pre-se -- just not right ;)
Well there you have it.  Thanks for correcting me, I understand them better now ;D

Offline Zachary Cohn

• APK Alliance
  • Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • I do cool stuff.
    • View Profile
    • ZacCohn.com
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2008, 03:46:00 PM »
Lacedup. Chris. Tone it down.

If you don't know if a post is "toned down" then email it to me, zac@americanparkour.com, before you post it, and I'll tell you.

Offline Charles Moreland

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • www.charlesmoreland.com
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2008, 04:00:53 PM »
This is slightly off-topic, but I've been meaning to ask you Chris.
Have you seen the commercials that are pro- high fructose corn syrup? They seem pretty ridiculous to me. (not to mention the commercials seem really awkward as a
whole)

Absolutely demeaning in every way. Refined sugars are bad enough. These commercials prove that this multi-billion dollar industry could care less about your health and safety. Bold faced lies.

If you want more of a laugh visit http://www.hfcsfacts.com

Offline Chris Salvato

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Eat. Move. Improve.
    • View Profile
    • Chris Salvato
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2008, 04:07:10 PM »
http://www.hfcsfacts.com/Is-HFCS-a-natural-sweetener.html

Hm...few weeks ago the FDA changed the requirements so that HFCS can longer be labeled "natural"

odd to find this on the site...

Offline Jeff Whalley

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2008, 05:32:13 PM »
To get back on topic Here is a runner of 10 years running, 8 of those actively competing giving my two cents.

The three hour rule for digestion is a good rule of thumb to follow. In my experience, You should try to eat most foods 4 hours before a race with the exception of simple carbs (bread granola etc.) for which 3 hours is enough.

As far as carb loading before a race, Its a habit I, along with many other runners have bought into. Weather its necessary or not, it has a superstitious quality along with any nutritional gains. It would never replace a healthy balanced breakfast/lunch the day of a race.

Snacking in between races is very important if there is time between (3 hours). Stick to simply cards that are low in sugars (bread, peanut butter, bagels, crackers) and never eat right before a race. Things like the energy gels and such are pretty worth less in anything less than a half marathon. DAIRY IS BAD as a before race snack, dairy products (milk, cheese, yogurt) will give you major cramps and gas. (don't believe me? chug an 12oz glass of milk then go for a run)

You should be well hydrated before the race. This means drinking water throughout the day, not chugging it before you jump on the line. If you drink too much too soon before the race you will get water logged. Also know as water belly in the running world, You feel it slosh inside of you and its not very comfortable when trying to run a race.

As many people have said, everyone is different. I've seen guys who eat a steak 3 hours before a race and the blow peoples doors off. I've also seen people eat nothing but candy bars the day of a race and do the same. This is just the approach that I know many great runners to follow and it is also one that has been preached by everyone of my coaches who were amazing runners.

Any questions or need specification on something let me know.

J -Whalley
The day I stop moving is the day I give up on life

Offline Kyle McGowan

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2008, 05:43:12 PM »
hey thanks a lot you guys. i will definately try some of these suggestions before a workout or once the track season starts up.

by the way muse, i run mostly mid distances (400,800) and the 110 hurdles, but the reason that i have time for cheez-its is because the meets can go on for the whole day and sometimes two days. this leaves hours in between races.

to lacedup, some of your suggestions dont really apply to this anyways due to the fact that i am trying to go along the lines of the paleolithic diet and i wouldnt necessarily agree with them anyways, but thanks for your input.

and to the entire community, i am sorry for starting WW4 between chris and lacedup. (WW3 is at stefan87's house)
This is not a sport; this is superman versus the giant.

Offline Kyle McGowan

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2008, 05:47:49 PM »
ya im with jeff, NO dairy near running. not only will it make you chuck, but extra lactic acid in the milk will bring your muscles to their DOOM!!!

Offline Chris Salvato

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Eat. Move. Improve.
    • View Profile
    • Chris Salvato
« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2008, 06:08:13 PM »
To get back on topic Here is a runner of 10 years running, 8 of those actively competing giving my two cents.

The three hour rule for digestion is a good rule of thumb to follow. In my experience, You should try to eat most foods 4 hours before a race with the exception of simple carbs (bread granola etc.) for which 3 hours is enough.

Good advice

As far as carb loading before a race, Its a habit I, along with many other runners have bought into. Weather its necessary or not, it has a superstitious quality along with any nutritional gains. It would never replace a healthy balanced breakfast/lunch the day of a race.

You bring up a good point.  The carb loading isn't that big of a deal if you do it before competition once every few weeks or less.  The key is to consistently have a balanced diet...and if you do believe in the carb loading hype for whatever reason limit it to the day before.  Doing it the day of won't be too detrimental based on one's own body.

ya im with jeff, NO dairy near running. not only will it make you chuck, but extra lactic acid in the milk will bring your muscles to their DOOM!!!

I'm not quite sure that milk adds lactic acid into your blood stream...sources?

Offline Andy Animus Tran

• Hirundo Rustica
  • The Invisible Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2008, 06:31:34 AM »
Chris, I'm pretty sure one of the by-products of breaking down lactose is a minimal amount of lactic acid production, but I'm not 100% on that.  And either way, it gets flushed out quickly enough and might even help fuel the muscles in part (since we now know that lactic acid is an energy source).
Andy Tran, C.S.C.S.
Lead Parkour Instructor
Urban Evolution
Parkour Virginia

Offline Kevin Davies

• hacker supreme
  • Patas
  • Tacoman
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2008, 07:16:14 AM »
One thing I would add to what others have said is DON'T change your diet the day before or the day of the race.  I have been doing endurance events of various kinds since I was 11 (now 31) and I can't tell you how many people I have met who decide they are going to eat something special that they don't normally eat the day before or the day of the race because they think it will help them.  Then they wonder why their stomachs are upset during the race.  The best way to find out what foods work for you and how much time you need to digest before running hard is during training. 

Wow, i would love to see a 3 year old vs. 3 year old wrestling match.  I didn't even know that existed.

Man, you should see my two year old daughter take down my 5 year old son, it is freaking hilarious.

Offline Charles Moreland

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • www.charlesmoreland.com
« Reply #31 on: September 22, 2008, 08:01:10 AM »
+1 Kevin! Completely forgot to mention that.

Offline Steve Low

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Eat, Move, Improve
« Reply #32 on: September 22, 2008, 08:10:32 AM »

Chris, I'm pretty sure one of the by-products of breaking down lactose is a minimal amount of lactic acid production, but I'm not 100% on that.  And either way, it gets flushed out quickly enough and might even help fuel the muscles in part (since we now know that lactic acid is an energy source).

What the.........

Lactose from milk is NOT related to lactate or lactic acid (there is barely any lactate/lactic acid UNLESS the milk is fermented). Lactose is a a combination of glucose and galactose molecules....

-----------------------------------

And even if it was lactate/lactic acid:

Lac in the bloodstream goes to the liver where it gets converted into glucose. Glucose get released during exercise through catecholamine (epinephrine) as well as glucagon stimulation (not to mention some other sources) for the muscles.

Lac in muscles either gets (1) shuttled out into the bloodstream (to go to the liver) or (2) used as fuel. Whatever the case, lac absorption from diet has pretty would have no direct effect (at least right away) on muscles.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2008, 08:12:53 AM by Steve Low »
Posts NOT medical, training or nutrition advice
Site // Overcoming Gravity Book

Offline Andy Animus Tran

• Hirundo Rustica
  • The Invisible Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 22, 2008, 08:17:56 AM »
Like i said, I wasn't going to state that one as fact, namely because it came from a biochem engineer who I don't trust too well on that kind of subject (though he's normally a pretty reliable source otherwise).  Good to know the facts, though.
Andy Tran, C.S.C.S.
Lead Parkour Instructor
Urban Evolution
Parkour Virginia

Offline Kevin Davies

• hacker supreme
  • Patas
  • Tacoman
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 22, 2008, 09:11:17 AM »

While I agree drinking milk right before a hard run is stupid, saying no dairy near running is a little extreme.  Chocolate milk after running is a great recovery drink. And I have read in many places (like here http://runningtimes.com/Article.aspx?ArticleID=3955) that milk is a staple of most Kenyan and Ethiopian runners diets and it doesn't seem to keep them from kicking the world's collective butts at running.

Offline Jeff Whalley

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 22, 2008, 09:24:26 AM »
DAIRY IS BAD as a before race snack, dairy products (milk, cheese, yogurt) will give you major cramps and gas.

I agree that chocolate milk is an excellent recovery drink. The caffeine helps to keep you heart rate slightly elevated speeding absorptions of the natural proteins. As far as an elite marathoner's digestion abilities and the average high school track runners, This is a similar analogy to the earlier mentioned Michael Phelps diet plan.

I simply stated that it is a terrible before race snack.

As far as lactic acid goes, I'm pretty sure lactose and lactic acid or not one in the same.

-J Whalley
The day I stop moving is the day I give up on life

Offline Kyle McGowan

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 22, 2008, 12:56:30 PM »
sorry about that, i will make sure to go back and check to make sure if it was lactic acid (and get a link), but i thought that it was the lactic acid in milk that got absorbed by the fat in the milk, causing it to curdle, but once again i will try to go back and check that.

as far as coco milk goes,  :o  :o  :o  :o
but all that i really drink is orange juice and water anyways

by the way, while we're on the track subject, does/did anyone run the 400 and if so, what were your times, im at 56.4 right now

Offline Chris Salvato

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Eat. Move. Improve.
    • View Profile
    • Chris Salvato
« Reply #37 on: September 22, 2008, 01:05:11 PM »
sorry about that, i will make sure to go back and check to make sure if it was lactic acid (and get a link), but i thought that it was the lactic acid in milk that got absorbed by the fat in the milk, causing it to curdle, but once again i will try to go back and check that.

as far as coco milk goes,  :o  :o  :o  :o
but all that i really drink is orange juice and water anyways

by the way, while we're on the track subject, does/did anyone run the 400 and if so, what were your times, im at 56.4 right now

Erm im not sure what you mean by lactic acid in milk -- there is none of that...

Milk curdles because heat or acids (like orange juice) cause the proteins to unfold (denature) and bond to each other (coagulate).  The curdling of milk is actually due to the protein, not the fat, which is why you can have cottage cheese that is fat free. :)

Offline Alissa J. Bratz

• Hirundo Rustica
  • middle-aged man in mom's basement eating Fritos
    • View Profile
    • wisconsinparkour.com
« Reply #38 on: September 22, 2008, 05:32:51 PM »
Huh. I didn't realize that dairy was not recommended for before a race. I usually fuel myself pretty well on extended rehearsal days with a couple of string cheese sticks, or yogurt, or a whey protein shake. Granted, ballet isn't running, but I imagine there are parallels between that and a track meet: go through a rigorous warm-up, break a sweat, sit for half an hour (trying to do a little yoga and some little jumps all the while to stay warm and limber), getting up to bust a 6 to 12-minute dance full-out, sit some more, repeat for 6-8 hours...

Well, this is why I'm glad some actual runners chimed in. :) I suggested dairy for quick/handy snacks on race days. I guess they are a bad idea.

Good for me to know for next time. Thanks guys!
She followed slowly, taking a long time,
as though there were some obstacle in the way;
and yet: as though, once it was overcome,
she would be beyond all walking, and would fly.
--excerpt from Going Blind, Rainer Maria Rilke

www.madisonparkour.com

Offline Steve Low

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Eat, Move, Improve
« Reply #39 on: September 22, 2008, 06:28:03 PM »

As far as lactic acid goes, I'm pretty sure lactose and lactic acid or not one in the same.

-J Whalley

Did you guys not read what I wrote?

I answered that question. Thoroughly.
Posts NOT medical, training or nutrition advice
Site // Overcoming Gravity Book