Author Topic: This Diet Thing Is Killing Me  (Read 1305 times)

Offline Rilkedogg

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
This Diet Thing Is Killing Me
« on: August 31, 2008, 01:37:02 PM »
So here I am: 46/W/WAY TOO FAT!!
It's not that I don't know the ins and outs of putting together a gut-wrenching program and following it. It is the diet thing that is stopping me from moving forward. You name it, I've tried it. I'll stick to it a couple of days and then...the major problem is my sugar intake. I say that because when I indulge, the other cravings for salt/fatty food kicks in as a result AND I CRAVE SUGAR! I'm really struggling with this and have for years. I've never actually put myself out here like this. I hope it will help. Thanks for reading~

Offline Samuel96

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Bear hunter-3rd in command
    • View Profile
Re: This Diet Thing Is Killing Me
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2008, 01:51:33 PM »
So here I am: 46/W/WAY TOO FAT!!
It's not that I don't know the ins and outs of putting together a gut-wrenching program and following it. It is the diet thing that is stopping me from moving forward. You name it, I've tried it. I'll stick to it a couple of days and then...the major problem is my sugar intake. I say that because when I indulge, the other cravings for salt/fatty food kicks in as a result AND I CRAVE SUGAR! I'm really struggling with this and have for years. I've never actually put myself out here like this. I hope it will help. Thanks for reading~
Don't eat anything unless it was planned, and if it wasn't, make it fruits or vegies.
When you get a craving, (I'm not kidding) Slap yourself and do a big number of push ups. (for you)
Believe me nothing is wrong with you. Start cooking, you won't believe how delicious you can make healthy things.

Offline Chris Salvato

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Eat. Move. Improve.
    • View Profile
    • Chris Salvato
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2008, 05:52:02 PM »
There really isn't much we can do for you here.

You know what to do.  You know your problem.  You just need to generate the discipline to fix it.

If it helps, allow yourself 1 cheat day a week.

Offline Max G

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2008, 07:17:46 PM »
If you find yourself having trouble leaving the goodies alone, sometimes it might take some weaning. Gradually cut back over 1-2 weeks so you get in the habit of laying off the sugary stuff, then start to press harder with the diet. It's hard to run if you can't walk, so go slow.

Offline Alissa J. Bratz

• Hirundo Rustica
  • middle-aged man in mom's basement eating Fritos
    • View Profile
    • wisconsinparkour.com
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2008, 08:30:58 PM »
I have a hard time when I gradually wean myself off of stuff. For me I have to quit cold turkey or it doesn't happen. But for other people this is harder, and a gradual thing is best. So it depends on you and if you've tried everything as you say, then it may just be a matter of picking one way and making yourself commit to it. If you backslide, just get back in the saddle and try again ASAP. It happens. Allowing yourself one cheat per week is a good strategy because then it really forces you to make decisions about how you're going to "spend" your one cheat. You may be more likely to pass up the donut today if you're planning to go for ice cream tomorrow.

Sugar addiction is probably one of the hardest to break, but the time it takes is relatively short (1-2 weeks for most people, usually) compared to things like cigarettes and other addictive substances. Eating good fats such as nuts or olives often help when craving "junk," especially because they're on the salty side too. However from your post it looks like the fat/salt craving actually makes you crave sweets right afterwards.

I experience this same thing and what I have found is that there is a difference between craving a taste and craving an actual substance in your body. Chances are, if indulging your salt/fat craving is tripping a sweet craving, then all you really want is the taste of something sweet right after a salty snack, rather than actual sugar in your body. This is easily achieved without eating "naughty" foods. If your fatty/salty snacks are low-carb (e.g. salted nuts, guacamole, olives, etc.) then it should be even easier. Try indulging your desire for sweets by eating sugar-free Jell-o, or a couple of carrots or a small piece of fruit. The carrots are relatively high in sugar but you can certainly do worse for a snack than carrots. :) This will give you the taste of eating something sweet, thereby giving your palate a contrast, without actually putting a lot of sugar in your body.

If your salty/fatty snacks are high-carb (e.g. pretzels or chips), this is going to be much harder. Try analyzing your salt/fat snacks to make sure they are low-carb.

Another strategy would be to combine a little sweet with your salty/fatty snack. An example that comes to mind is ants-on-a-log: celery with nut butter, topped with a few raisins. Dried cranberries or dried apple pieces are also nice options for the "ants". A more grown-up version is Laughing Cow brand cheese wedges stuffed into celery sticks, topped with dried cranberries. Be sure to eat your snack with plenty of water to drink alongside. The water will cleanse your palate and lessen the desire for the sweet taste.

Another option would be to drink a whey-protein shake (just the whey protein powder and milk). If you get chocolate or vanilla flavored powder, and choose a brand that is low- or no-sugar, it can give you the sweet taste without a lot of sugar, and because it is so calorically dense, and full of protein (and a little fat if you use 1% or 2% milk), it will be very satisfying. Because they are high in calories, though, it is a lot to take in for just a snack, especially if it's on the heels of a salty/fatty nibble.

Yogi Tea brand makes a tea called "Fasting" which I often drink when I have a sweet craving that seems especially challenging. I don't actually use the tea to fast (I don't fast, generally), but it has a light apple-y sweet taste that can take the edge off of a sugar craving. Sometimes when I am really going nuts I will cheat and add a few drops (literally, just a few drops) of honey but it is good on its own. Sipped slowly it can take the edge off.

When nothing else will do, try a square or two of exceptionally high-quality dark chocolate (at least 65% cocoa). Really treat it like the indulgence it is. It is often so rich it will take care of the sweet craving, but it is relatively low in sugar.

These are just some suggestions to help you break the craving. I hope they're helpful. Others likely have better suggestions that are backed with actual nutritional science... these are more psychological and gastronomic strategies than anything. :)

Good luck!
« Last Edit: August 31, 2008, 10:12:22 PM by Steve Low »
She followed slowly, taking a long time,
as though there were some obstacle in the way;
and yet: as though, once it was overcome,
she would be beyond all walking, and would fly.
--excerpt from Going Blind, Rainer Maria Rilke

www.madisonparkour.com

Offline Chris Salvato

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Eat. Move. Improve.
    • View Profile
    • Chris Salvato
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2008, 10:21:50 PM »
lol Muse....you got the gift of gab :P
« Last Edit: August 31, 2008, 10:24:32 PM by Chris Salvato »