Author Topic: best easy way to get protein  (Read 11482 times)

Offline Chris Salvato

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Eat. Move. Improve.
    • View Profile
    • Chris Salvato
Re: best easy way to get protein
« Reply #40 on: October 09, 2008, 03:11:04 PM »
Fructose in high quantities can be murder on the liver (which is why HFCS is kind of...evil)

Not that fructose is bad in moderation but the best sources of carbs, on work and rest days, will be vegetables, oats and whole fruit, as opposed to juice.

Sat, for your gains, you are going to need a ton of healthy fats to get your caloric intake as high as you need it to be since your metabolism is so high.

Lift heavy things, work one armed techniques and high intensity bodyweight skills while eating tons of cheeses, nuts, olives, avocados, coconuts and whole milk.  Start taking EVOO shots, if necessary.  That's my opinion on that...

Offline Charles Moreland

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • www.charlesmoreland.com
« Reply #41 on: October 09, 2008, 04:45:03 PM »
Start taking EVOO shots, if necessary.  That's my opinion on that...

It's gross as hell, but necessary

Offline Chris Salvato

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Eat. Move. Improve.
    • View Profile
    • Chris Salvato
« Reply #42 on: October 09, 2008, 05:55:28 PM »
Start taking EVOO shots, if necessary.  That's my opinion on that...

It's gross as hell, but necessary

Really, i do a teaspoon of fish oil every  day...

Compared to that, I would chug EVOO straight out of the bottle...an ounce of EVOO was WAY less gross than taking teaspoons of fish oil :P

I guess thats kind of a tangent

Offline Andy Animus Tran

• Hirundo Rustica
  • The Invisible Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 10, 2008, 04:30:49 AM »
At one point, i forgot how to swallow capsules (really bad habit), so I had to just bite the capsule and suck the fish oil out..  I got used to it.  Then again, I think drinking raw eggs is delicious.
Andy Tran, C.S.C.S.
Lead Parkour Instructor
Urban Evolution
Parkour Virginia

Offline Sat Santokh

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Don't think with your balls, think with your brain
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 10, 2008, 07:30:15 AM »
Fructose in high quantities can be murder on the liver (which is why HFCS is kind of...evil)

Not that fructose is bad in moderation but the best sources of carbs, on work and rest days, will be vegetables, oats and whole fruit, as opposed to juice.

Sat, for your gains, you are going to need a ton of healthy fats to get your caloric intake as high as you need it to be since your metabolism is so high.

Lift heavy things, work one armed techniques and high intensity bodyweight skills while eating tons of cheeses, nuts, olives, avocados, coconuts and whole milk.  Start taking EVOO shots, if necessary.  That's my opinion on that...

Yeah thats pretty much what I've been doing, its just hard to get the unsaturateds in the dorms, I need to get some fish oil or something, but I eat fish everytime they have it there.  I told him to have the fruit juice just right after his workout not on rest days an such.

Edit: Whats EVOO, I'm guessing its fish oil or olive oil or something?
« Last Edit: October 10, 2008, 07:31:56 AM by Sat Santokh »

Offline Kyle Ryan

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 10, 2008, 08:07:03 AM »

Extra Virgin Olive Oil.

Thanks to the food network! hah :P

Offline Chris Salvato

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Eat. Move. Improve.
    • View Profile
    • Chris Salvato
« Reply #46 on: October 10, 2008, 08:10:07 AM »
Yeah thats pretty much what I've been doing, its just hard to get the unsaturateds in the dorms, I need to get some fish oil or something, but I eat fish everytime they have it there.  I told him to have the fruit juice just right after his workout not on rest days an such.

Fish oil is actually mostly saturated fat -- but its rich in Omega-3s, which is good.

Does your food hall have Olive Oil in a bottle at the salad bar?  I suggest taking a tupperware and filling it with the olive oil and taking it back to your room.

Put olive oil on everything man. Saturate your food with it if necessary.  Makes veggies taste delicious and will get your calories up way high.

Fruit juice post workout is better than just hangin out...so it seems like you're def on the right track there.

Oh, and btw, make sure you lift heavy things ... without aggravating your back :P

Offline Sat Santokh

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 10, 2008, 10:38:40 AM »
haha yeah I'm still trying to figure stuff out, I can't really squat which is obviously the best thing for gaining weight, leg press is gay and requires no technique.  But I guess the leg press is working because I got 9'4" the other day at class for broad jump.  I want to military press but I know thats definitely not good either.  Doing weighted pullups, and if I had a spotter I would bench more.  Any bright ideas?  I've been deadlifting but I can't really go heavy on those because of my back.

Offline Chris Salvato

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Eat. Move. Improve.
    • View Profile
    • Chris Salvato
« Reply #48 on: October 10, 2008, 11:20:05 AM »
haha yeah I'm still trying to figure stuff out, I can't really squat which is obviously the best thing for gaining weight, leg press is gay and requires no technique.  But I guess the leg press is working because I got 9'4" the other day at class for broad jump.  I want to military press but I know thats definitely not good either.  Doing weighted pullups, and if I had a spotter I would bench more.  Any bright ideas?  I've been deadlifting but I can't really go heavy on those because of my back.

Military press is fine -- but you would need to be careful to stand upright with your back problems..i am sure you would feel a twinge and could bail at the first sign of pain though...make sure you do these standing, too, btw...

Squat is good, but DL is king for mass gains.  Squat will make you stronger than an ox, for sure, but DL is pretty damn damaging (in a good way.)

I would DL conservatively...and maybe even squat with very light weight and strict adherence to form.  Squats with a weight vest would be good too at high speeds.

Bench u can ask some dude around u to spot you -- believe me, it helps...a TON.  Make sure not to arch your back on the push off as this might aggravate your back.

Weighted Pullups and Dips will be the easiest thing for you to do safely -- and they can be pretty damn damaging themselves, which will cause growth.

I recommend a routine pretty heavy on weighted pulls, dips and DLs with a strict aherence to form.  for OH pressing ability, the military press is good, standing, as are full ROM HSPU on parallettes.  Planche will likely be better for you in every way than benching...work on planche pushups (Pseudo Planche PU, Tuck Planche PU, Straddle Planch PU, One leg planche PU etc.).

Also, lever work is pretty damn intense too as well as one armed chin work.  OAC Negatives are a great way to start, as are assisted OAC pullups (using 1 finger or something like that).  Tuck Front lever pulls and pullups are very intense and will definitely make you bigger.

Also, don't forget Sprints...great for developing the lower body as a body-weight-only exercise that will keep scaling with intensity naturally as you get faster...and should be just fine for your back.

« Last Edit: October 10, 2008, 11:31:13 AM by Chris Salvato »

Offline Steve Low

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Eat, Move, Improve
« Reply #49 on: October 11, 2008, 07:00:52 PM »
Weighted pistols perhaps? Not sure if that would aggravate...

Second on sprints if that doesn't hurt either.
Posts NOT medical, training or nutrition advice
Site // Overcoming Gravity Book

Offline Sat Santokh

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 12, 2008, 09:15:36 AM »
Ugh I really wish I could do sprints but I can't.  I don't know about weighted pistols I'll give them a shot today. 

Offline Sat Santokh

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 12, 2008, 08:07:19 PM »
went to the gym with Ryan today to do some maxes and one arm work.  Forgot about pistols but I got 90 lbs weighted pullup which I'm pretty happy about.  Also got 170 bench and I haven't ever worked on it.