Author Topic: best easy way to get protein  (Read 11318 times)

Offline ensō

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • Been too long. Back in training.
    • View Profile
Re: best easy way to get protein
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2008, 05:57:14 PM »
You can also use crumbled bacon and ham bits in the quiches, if you have it. It increases the protein but also the fat. But you can sort of mix and match with the recipe.

I hope they work out for you!

oooh, and the sodium. (which can be bad)

Offline Chris Salvato

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Eat. Move. Improve.
    • View Profile
    • Chris Salvato
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2008, 07:06:03 PM »
You can also use crumbled bacon and ham bits in the quiches, if you have it. It increases the protein but also the fat. But you can sort of mix and match with the recipe.

I hope they work out for you!

oooh, and the sodium. (which can be bad)

For a review of our latest sodium analysis, please visit:
http://www.americanparkour.com/smf/index.php?topic=10965.msg131164#msg131164

Offline Andy Animus Tran

• Hirundo Rustica
  • The Invisible Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2008, 05:53:24 AM »
Oh god, I want quiche now...  Guess I'm cooking tonight.

And, seriously, is quiche really an engendered food?  I always just thought it was a delicious pie-thing.  Had no clue it was "girlie."
Andy Tran, C.S.C.S.
Lead Parkour Instructor
Urban Evolution
Parkour Virginia

Offline Patrick Yang

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Outrunner
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2008, 08:11:23 AM »
Oh god, I want quiche now...  Guess I'm cooking tonight.

And, seriously, is quiche really an engendered food?  I always just thought it was a delicious pie-thing.  Had no clue it was "girlie."

It's a lingering, near-extinct stereotype from a less delicious era.
Training log.
Train hard, eat smart, and act with honor.

Offline Alissa J. Bratz

• Hirundo Rustica
  • middle-aged man in mom's basement eating Fritos
    • View Profile
    • wisconsinparkour.com
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2008, 05:11:17 PM »
C'est la quiche. It's definitely feminine. ;)

Grammar jokes aside, though, Patrick hit it on the head.
She followed slowly, taking a long time,
as though there were some obstacle in the way;
and yet: as though, once it was overcome,
she would be beyond all walking, and would fly.
--excerpt from Going Blind, Rainer Maria Rilke

www.madisonparkour.com

Offline Andy Animus Tran

• Hirundo Rustica
  • The Invisible Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2008, 04:55:16 AM »
C'est la quiche. It's definitely feminine. ;)

Grammar jokes aside, though, Patrick hit it on the head.

This is going to be crude, but...

C'est le vagin, aussi.  Est-ce que nous devrions croire que c'est masculin?  :p ;)
Andy Tran, C.S.C.S.
Lead Parkour Instructor
Urban Evolution
Parkour Virginia

Offline Holland Wilson

• Mangabey
  • Formerly known as the Damned Scholar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2008, 12:26:00 PM »
I think I understood enough of that... o.o
"At the age of six I wanted to be a cook. At seven I wanted to be Napoleon. And my ambition has been growing steadily ever since." - Salvador Dali

Offline Alissa J. Bratz

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • wisconsinparkour.com
« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2008, 07:11:27 PM »
Bien joue, mon ami! :)

(btw that is supposed to be a past participle... too lazy to make the accent)

</hijack>

I now return you to your protein discussion. :)
« Last Edit: September 10, 2008, 07:13:04 PM by Muse_of_Fire »

www.madisonparkour.com

Offline DickTraceur

• Guenons
  • JM
    • View Profile
    • Some of my music
« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2008, 04:37:05 PM »
Nuts are quick, last for ever in a sealed container, and a good source of fibre.
Canned Fish is excellent for the amount of protein for size.
Whey Protein w/ water
Oatmeal w/ some milk
Hardboiled Eggs
Beef jerky is an excellent source of protein. Extremely lean, as well.

Peanut butter should be used as a treat. The proportion of fat to protein isn't enough to justify eating it more than once a day. Also, it's boring!

Eggs are the best source of protein, because the protein they contain is a "complete" protein. Eat these for breakfast. But for Convenience, whey powder is great, and the rest are pretty durr.

All of these can be prepared in a dorm room, and all take <3 minutes to make, with the exception of the eggs. Just make a batch of 10 or 12 like I do, and eat them over the course of a day or two.

I just realized I put "'Heart' minutes". The most loving time to make a meal!
"I think that we are clinging to a great many piano tops." - R. Buckminster Fuller

Offline Chris Salvato

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Eat. Move. Improve.
    • View Profile
    • Chris Salvato
« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2008, 05:29:39 PM »
Nuts are quick, last for ever in a sealed container, and a good source of fibre.
Canned Fish is excellent for the amount of protein for size.
Whey Protein w/ water
Oatmeal w/ some milk
Hardboiled Eggs
Beef jerky is an excellent source of protein. Extremely lean, as well.

Peanut butter should be used as a treat. The proportion of fat to protein isn't enough to justify eating it more than once a day. Also, it's boring!

Eggs are the best source of protein, because the protein they contain is a "complete" protein. Eat these for breakfast. But for Convenience, whey powder is great, and the rest are pretty durr.

All of these can be prepared in a dorm room, and all take <3 minutes to make, with the exception of the eggs. Just make a batch of 10 or 12 like I do, and eat them over the course of a day or two.

I just realized I put "'Heart' minutes". The most loving time to make a meal!

Pretty sound for the most part...however...

1)Oatmeal is an awful source of protein.  Great food, but its really all carbs -- even with the milk.
2)Nut butters are good in mass amounts for some people -- particularly those trying to gain weight -- they are just not a good source of protein, as you said.

Offline DickTraceur

• Guenons
  • JM
    • View Profile
    • Some of my music
« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2008, 06:06:26 PM »
Oatmeal is actually quite protein dense. A 1/3 of a cup yields 6 grams of protein. I'm sure that we can all eat a cup for breakfast. That amounts to 18 grams of protein alone. Combined with the enormous 15g of fibre and a good amount of iron, it's an excellent balanced carbohydrate that will keep you full and energised until your next meal. Also, with the added milk I mentioned, it's around 23 grams of protein. Overall an excellent choice for breakfast.

I'll give the nut butters to you, but personally, I'd rather clean bulk with lean proteins than a lot of fatty oils. However, my way is not the "right" way.

Quick edit: I am talking about regular, plain, porridge oats. No "insta oatmeal" garbage.
"I think that we are clinging to a great many piano tops." - R. Buckminster Fuller

Offline Chris Salvato

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Eat. Move. Improve.
    • View Profile
    • Chris Salvato
« Reply #31 on: September 19, 2008, 07:15:31 PM »
Oatmeal is actually quite protein dense. A 1/3 of a cup yields 6 grams of protein. I'm sure that we can all eat a cup for breakfast. That amounts to 18 grams of protein alone. Combined with the enormous 15g of fibre and a good amount of iron, it's an excellent balanced carbohydrate that will keep you full and energised until your next meal. Also, with the added milk I mentioned, it's around 23 grams of protein. Overall an excellent choice for breakfast.

I'll give the nut butters to you, but personally, I'd rather clean bulk with lean proteins than a lot of fatty oils. However, my way is not the "right" way.

Quick edit: I am talking about regular, plain, porridge oats. No "insta oatmeal" garbage.

Erm.. not quite...let me clarify some things.

Lets go with the nutrition information that we can all agree on -- on the internet, from nutritiondata.com...for a standard 100g portion, since it is easy to do math on 100g...

http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts/cereal-grains-and-pasta/5708/2

Fat = 7g -> 63 Calories
Carb = 66 g -11 g Fiber = 55 net carbs -> 220 Calories
Protein = 7 gram -> 28 Calories

Total Calories = 311 Calories (this is correct, i dunno why the nutrition data calculation is a bit off and says 389)

Calorie ratios are as follows:
Fat = 21%
Carb = 70%
Protein = 9%

Are we beginning to see the problem?  No?  OK.  Lets go to 40g, which is 1/2 cup by most standards (and the standard serving size weight for every oatmeal brand I have ever purchased..)

In 40g, you are getting 6.8g of protein and 22g of net carbs.  Thats a whole lot of carbs compared to that protein.  "Balanced" is a poor word here.

Also, let's not forget that vegetable/oats/grains protein sources, with the exception of soy, typically have a protein absorption rate under 60%....so really you are only putting about 4g of the ingested 6 grams to good use...in the best case scenario...out of a 40g meal.

Milk, yes, is a good source of protein...23 grams though is over 3 cups....this probably means you are drinking the milk on the side and therefore its hardly part of the "oatmeal" meal that you are suggesting.  Plus, milk is a bad solution if you are looking for a protein source alone as it is a pretty balanced meal in and of itself...

Eating Oatmeal and complimenting it with milk is something like a 55-65% carb infested meal.

As for your "clean" bulk method without fatty oils....the danger in fats is not the fat itself, but the caloric density.  I have been "bulking" for the past 3 months and have taken over 50% of my calories in from fat -- including shots of olive oil.  I gained 21 pounds in 3 months and 75% of that mass is lean....you can't get much leaner than that.

My results are typical, not the outlier....

The goal of bulking is a caloric surplus -- which is very hard on meat and veggies alone -- which is why the nuts and oils are called for.

EDIT: I don't want to seem like I am saying oatmeal is bad.  It is a VERY GOOD food that EVERYONE should eat daily...as part of a balanced meal.  I am simply arguing that it is NOT a source of protein.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2008, 10:08:19 PM by Chris Salvato »

Offline Steve Low

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Eat, Move, Improve
« Reply #32 on: September 20, 2008, 12:04:48 AM »
Steak and eggs for breakfast with some fruit.

Can't go wrong with that...
Posts NOT medical, training or nutrition advice
Site // Overcoming Gravity Book

Offline DickTraceur

• Guenons
  • JM
    • View Profile
    • Some of my music
« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2008, 12:59:52 AM »
THE OATMEAL DEBATE IS HEATING UP AT APK

You're right, Steve. I was more catering to his "I need easy, nutritional foods for my dorm" than strictly PROTEIN FOODS ONLY.
(btw, I was summing up the entire protein count to 23 grams. Not just from milk. That's a lot of milk.)

ahh, you know what- I just wrote up a whole bunch of text clarifying my post, and then deleted it. Everything I've wrote has been misunderstood so I think I'll take a brisk walk down shut the f#ck up lane. I agree with mostly all of your points and we're just wasting time; now we're on the topic of oil.  ???

One question, how much protein is a good amount in your opinion? Since we're hopefully eating more than 5 small meals a day, shouldn't ~20 grams be sufficient for one meal?

peanutbuttersucks

Offline Chris Salvato

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Eat. Move. Improve.
    • View Profile
    • Chris Salvato
« Reply #34 on: September 20, 2008, 07:57:13 AM »
THE OATMEAL DEBATE IS HEATING UP AT APK

You're right, Steve. I was more catering to his "I need easy, nutritional foods for my dorm" than strictly PROTEIN FOODS ONLY.
(btw, I was summing up the entire protein count to 23 grams. Not just from milk. That's a lot of milk.)

Even so, thats over 2.5 cups of milk in your oatmeal...
2.5 cups milk = 17.5g Protein
40g oatmeal = 6 g protein
Total = 23.5 grams

ahh, you know what- I just wrote up a whole bunch of text clarifying my post, and then deleted it. Everything I've wrote has been misunderstood so I think I'll take a brisk walk down shut the f#ck up lane. I agree with mostly all of your points and we're just wasting time; now we're on the topic of oil.  ???

Hm I wish u didn't delete that.  If you think I was wrong/misunderstood I would have been open to hear your perspective on the issue.  However, there is no real way around it that Oatmeal is a major source of carb, not of protein.

Maybe I seem like a dick, but I am very adamant about this on these boards and in person when I discuss diet and nutrition.  The reason for this is that many people do things like eat hordes of peanuts because they are a "source of protein" which is garbage.  Similarly, you are encouraging eating a very high carb food as your protein source, which many other people do with things like beans.

This leads to high carb dieting, and the negative effects of such a diet, especially in athletes, are pretty well documented.  I try to clear up these misconceptions as much as possible.

I did not mean to come off as aggressive.

One question, how much protein is a good amount in your opinion? Since we're hopefully eating more than 5 small meals a day, shouldn't ~20 grams be sufficient for one meal?

You are ignoring the fact that everyone is different. 

For a 120# athletic girl 100g protein should be just fine (20gx5 meals a day).  For other people who are 120# and more active or more demanding dietary needs, they can require 100-130# of protein easily.  For a 186# man like myself, I could easily require double that amount of protein with the amount of stress and activity I put my body under.

In a 2000 calorie diet, 20g per meal is only 20% protein.  Most people who are active, male or female, require more than that to maintain weight or even lose weight.  Perhaps a sedentary person can get away with a smaller protein consumption along those lines.

It all depends on caloric needs and goals.  Personally, I take in 4000-5500 calories a day easily -- if i ate only 20g protein 5 times a day then I would only be consuming 7-10% of my total caloric intake due to protein a day.  Not good.

peanutbuttersucks

Nice try :P

Offline Alissa J. Bratz

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • wisconsinparkour.com
« Reply #35 on: September 20, 2008, 01:58:10 PM »
I wish you hadn't deleted your points too, DickT. Chris is very straightforward about his viewpoints, but he is also a critical thinker which means two things:

1. He will argue with you if there is something to be argued about, and
2. He is open to changing his viewpoint if presented with compelling evidence to do so.

In other words, Chris is one of those people who argues to learn and to educate, rather than arguing to be an ass. So I hope you didn't feel like his arguing was aggressive or intended to shoot you down.

I, for one, learn a LOT by reading the debates that go on and I'm sure I'm not the only one. So if you have a point of view, please don't be shy about sharing it. It doesn't matter who's right or wrong in an argument, what matters is that through discourse we can all learn something and be better off for it.

I think there was something to your point about oatmeal being a convenient food for someone in college, although the OP was specifically asking for quick and easy *protein* sources. So even though oatmeal has protein i it, it's not something I'd consider a "source" of protein and I think that was where people took issue with your suggestion. That said, I was also surprised to read that there was so much protein in oatmeal. For me personally, with my dietary needs/metabolism, I have never felt oatmeal "stick to my ribs." I have always experienced the carb high and then crash with oatmeal. However I do often eat Greek-style yogurt with whole oats stirred in for texture and some additional calories. As carbs go, there are a lot worse things than oatmeal and if I need to have some carbs to go along with the protein and fat in my yogurt, then a couple spoonfuls of whole oats can do the trick nicely.

Chris, why couldn't someone cook their oats in milk instead of water? That would make it easier to get the 2.5 cups to get the protein, wouldn't it? Or does cooking/heating the milk break down the protein in it?

www.madisonparkour.com

Offline Chris Salvato

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Eat. Move. Improve.
    • View Profile
    • Chris Salvato
« Reply #36 on: September 20, 2008, 02:43:51 PM »
I wish you hadn't deleted your points too, DickT. Chris is very straightforward about his viewpoints, but he is also a critical thinker which means two things:

1. He will argue with you if there is something to be argued about, and
2. He is open to changing his viewpoint if presented with compelling evidence to do so.

In other words, Chris is one of those people who argues to learn and to educate, rather than arguing to be an ass. So I hope you didn't feel like his arguing was aggressive or intended to shoot you down.

Thanks!

Chris, why couldn't someone cook their oats in milk instead of water? That would make it easier to get the 2.5 cups to get the protein, wouldn't it? Or does cooking/heating the milk break down the protein in it?

Well...it appears this question is asked without really looking at the "big picture" again.  Let me explain.

The ratio of oatmeal to fluid (water/milk) is 40g to 1 cup.  1 cup of whole milk has:

8g Fat
13g Carb
8g Protein

The info for oats is stated above.

Therefore 1 serving of prepared oatmeal with milk is:
15g fat -> 135 cal -> 29%
68g carb -> 272 cal -> 59%
14g Protein -> 56  -> 12%

Total Cals = 463

The arguement here was that this meal is a good source of protein.  12% of it is protein.  How is this a good source of protein?

Even if u do this, and supplement the meal with another 12 oz of milk, you look at a meal with the following calories/ratios:

27g fat -> 243 cal -> 35%
88g carb -> 352 cal -> 50%
26g Protein -> 104 cal -> 15%

Total Cals = 699

As you can see, since milk is balanced on its own, it helps the ratios a bit, but the raw amount of carb in the oatmeal dominates this meal...

DickTraceur even posted he agrees with fat/carb/protein ratios of 20/40/40 and similar.  However, this meal and suggestion does not even come close to fitting into these ratios.  In order to really help this meal out, a raw protein source needs to be added...which is where we get back to other sources that are close to 100% of their calories from protein like meat, eggs, fish, etc.

The problem that most people have with a situation like this is that they look at protein and say "Oh!  26g protein!  This must be great for you!" ignoring the fact that the meal on a whole is over 50% carb.  Similarly, people often look at a "diet" cookie that is low fat, with 0g fat, but ignores the fact that it has 200g per 3 cookies totally due to carbohydrate -- but hey, its fat free, right?  :-Sarcasm

I hope that clears that issue up for you, Muse :)

« Last Edit: September 20, 2008, 02:46:21 PM by Chris Salvato »

Offline DickTraceur

• Guenons
  • JM
    • View Profile
    • Some of my music
« Reply #37 on: September 24, 2008, 12:12:50 AM »
Nah, I didn't retract my statements because I thought It was futile or anyone was close-minded. I just worded my input wrong, is all. I looked back and sorta said to myself "Shit, I'm not even discussing this in the right thread", and "The point I'm trying to make now isn't even relevant."  I probably should've put in a whole bunch of stuff, with the added point that oatmeal is usually better than cereal for a quick breakfast. Good for us poor post-sec students. : ( I'm the dick, if there is one.

OW MY GOD HOW DOES HE DO IT

Props to both of you for taking the high route with the understanding, and encouragement fr me to voice my opinion. It's really cool to find a community that works like that.

Anyway, I don't know how you guys are eating oatmeal, but I just pour some milk on the oatmeal to cool it down after I cook it because it's hot as ASS and I'm usually in a hurry. I also drink it with milk because it milk is delicious.

Offline Andy Animus Tran

• Hirundo Rustica
  • The Invisible Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 24, 2008, 06:09:35 AM »
Omg, hahaha.. I love your name.  Dick Traceur..  Lmao.

I hope you dress as him for Halloween.
Andy Tran, C.S.C.S.
Lead Parkour Instructor
Urban Evolution
Parkour Virginia

Offline Sat Santokh

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Don't think with your balls, think with your brain
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 09, 2008, 02:17:54 PM »
I would get some whey protein isolate for after you workout.  It's expensive so only take it directly after you workout.  Also take it with some fruit juice since fructose is the highest absorbing sugar.  I'm in the dorms also and trying to make gains, specifically packing on lean muscle, and trying to get a one arm.  I've been having trouble getting all the nutrients I need.  At our dining hall they have a sandwich bar with turkey so I've been eating a lot of deli turkey since its free on my meal plan.