Author Topic: parkour... so misunderstood  (Read 16752 times)

Offline Chris Parker

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
parkour... so misunderstood
« on: August 26, 2008, 04:13:36 PM »
well I just went to Rock Ridge elementary school to do some training and I was told to leave. I went after the school was out around 5:30 pm and there was no children around. I did a wall run and they told me to leave; the man didnt know what parkour was so I told him and he said "I don't care what your doing and you need to leave." And all the while there was a skateboarder and a group of high schoolers playing football(not teams just friends) and he didn't say anything to them. I wasn't doing anything to harm the property or anything bad. Parkour is just so misunderstood and seemingly shunned upon sometimes. A question to all... when will parkour be looked at as a normal activity like other physical bodied disciplines such as biking skateboarding or martial arts? Things like this make me very sad and angry at the ignorant people putting down parkour.  :'( >:(
"A priest, rabbi, and Griff walk into a bar and I Kill them. And by them I mean Griff"
"I hope you brought your wallet, cause the rent in hell gets paid in advance!"
"I'm gonna rip off his partridge and kick him in the pear tree."
"Calling Doctor Sarge MD, prescription death, diagnosis SHOTGUN!"

Offline Chris Salvato

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Eat. Move. Improve.
    • View Profile
    • Chris Salvato
Re: parkour... so misunderstood
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2008, 06:32:25 PM »
don't even mention parkour to these people....

when someonel ike this approaches you, dont try to explain anything...

just say, sorry sir, i really don't mean any trouble, im just training, if its a problem I'll leave.

Usually, this changes their mind, if not, they can't be mad at you and oyu know its not a good place to train.

Also, how old are you?

Offline Chris Parker

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2008, 09:29:33 PM »
Yea well I wont be anymore, and I was very respectful to the man and willingly complied with his request. At the moment I am looking for new spots. oh and im 21 years old
"A priest, rabbi, and Griff walk into a bar and I Kill them. And by them I mean Griff"

Offline Jake Smith

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2008, 05:19:31 AM »
People may not ever understand us.

We should cut ourselves. :-\
« Last Edit: August 29, 2008, 09:45:29 PM by FunkDragon »
I have to return some videotapes.

Offline Derik (QuikSilva) DaSilva

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2008, 08:53:38 AM »
You may also want to try going back in a few days and ask to see the principal. If the man who spoke to you was the principle, you can explain to him what it is you are trying to achieve. If the principal isn't who you spoke to, describe what it is you're doing, why you want to do it, and if you have permission. If you get approached again just say, "So-and-so said I was okay to train here when there aren't any kids around." or what-not. Give it a shot. The worst that'll happen is: he'll say no.

P.S. Where is this Rock Ridge Elementary?

Offline Chris Parker

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2008, 06:30:28 PM »
hey thats a good idea. Rock ridge is in castle rock colorado. The only thing im a little worried about is that they do say no and then I will have no place to really train in castle rock. Most other places in castle rock dont want us there.

Offline Derik (QuikSilva) DaSilva

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2008, 10:49:34 PM »
It's all about talking to the right people at the right time. Maybe try putting a little presentation started, or starting a club at rock ridge... that's about all I got left for ya...

Offline Li0nheart

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2008, 04:18:51 PM »
Derik, remember that conversation with Matt? The one where he said somethign to the effect of; he couldn't wait till the day comes that you see "No Parkour" signs because just like what happened with skateboarding the "No Skateboarding " signs went up and over night skate parks became a big thing. Someday they will put up signs saying we can't train "No Parkour" then it'll happen we'll have specifically made Parkour Parks for us to run, jump, climb, and any other verb we can think of in.

Anything NEW will be a struggle but one day we'll be commended not condemned

Offline Chris Salvato

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Eat. Move. Improve.
    • View Profile
    • Chris Salvato
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2008, 08:00:49 PM »
wouldn't it be better to be free of "no parkour" signs AND have special parks for it?

Offline Jake Smith

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2008, 11:46:24 PM »
I love the optimism.

Personally, I'll disregard their shitty signs if it ever happens.

Offline Maverick219

• Guenons
  • AH HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2008, 02:32:29 PM »
a "no parkour" sign would be a great decoration to go with the no skating signs collected to lol. parkour is meant for the street. a park would be great for fine tuning but just like skateboarding nothing beats finding a killer spot or just doing a run in random places. just my little input
hit hard and dont stop comin

Offline Jesse Clark

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
    • APEX Movement Loveland
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2008, 06:09:33 PM »

I....I already do.  :'(
Whether you believe you can do it or you believe you can't; you're right.

Offline Holland Wilson

• Mangabey
  • Formerly known as the Damned Scholar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2008, 07:25:13 PM »
Personally, I'll disregard their shitty signs if it ever happens.
It would be fairly easy. Skateboarding is a specific activity that requires a certain piece of equipment. Parkour is an activity, but it's hardly specific and it requires legs (or not even that, if you're good enough at hand-walking and brachiating). You can't ban running, and it would look asinine for people to forbid athletes training on, say, concrete benches (since, unlike skateboarding, running and jumping usually leaves no marks and therefore cannot be considered vandalism). If somebody told you to stop and cited parkour, ask them what parkour is. If they have a bias against it, they won't be able to give you a good answer (because people who actually know what it is are generally practitioners) and you can be vague about it.
"At the age of six I wanted to be a cook. At seven I wanted to be Napoleon. And my ambition has been growing steadily ever since." - Salvador Dali

Offline Jake Smith

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2008, 11:42:12 AM »

I....I already do.  :'(

I know.  I watch you in the shower.

Offline Li0nheart

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2008, 09:55:33 PM »
LOVE IT, we have minds working and with a overtone of rebelion.  "VIVA LA REVOLUTION" or what have you

Offline Wyo Daniel

• Guenons
    • View Profile
    • Wyoming Parkour
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2008, 11:40:26 PM »
This, of course, is what came to mind as soon as someone mentioned a "No parkour" sign :

I do believe that one day, parkour will become as... commonly known as skateboarding is today. If there's a skater practicing his kick flips or whatever, no one asks him "What are you doing?", because everyone knows perfectly well what skateboarding is. It's very well-known, as are its damaging effects on some property, which is why "No skateboarding signs" are commonplace. However, this does not mean that once parkour grows more well-known, there will be more signs like the one above; as someone pointed out earlier in this thread, parkour generally does not leave any marks on or damage anything.

On a different note, I have no clue where Rock Ridge is, but the entire time I was reading this thread, the stuipid Rock Ridge theme from Blazing Saddles kept running through my head...
Front leaning rest position, move. In cadence!

Offline THEHELPERS

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • my friends + camra= fail picture
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2009, 12:11:00 PM »
i got yelled at for being on a play ground by some stupid mom, i told here i was just balancing on a pole but she just flipped even more and told me to leave, the truth is not a lot of people don't like or even care about parkour. it makes me sad to see such a passion of hate against such a peaceful activity :( 
PKFR

Offline AdmirePhotography

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2009, 09:49:58 AM »
If the equipment was designed for a child and you're 170 pounds then an officer might not side with you. However if someone is harassing you, politely ask them to leave you alone. If you're not causing a disturbance, endangering any person or property or damaging anything, then their harassment is a breach of the peace and is the only infringement of law. Being extra polite in a situation like this will really work for you and may end the problem. Keep communication to a minimum, polite but brief.  As a last resort call the cops before they do. You can call 911 and report the harassment without requiring an officer attend. In Colorado Springs (El Paso) you are highly unlikely to have an officer attend due to the stretched budget this year. So unless there is a imminent threat f physical harm no-ones gonna come. Just state you wanted to report it to the record so in the event the harasser decides to escalate it into something physical your location is on record for a more efficient response buy the PD. 911 will make a report and you've done the right thing. The harasser will back down or get their friends. Either way the call to 911 is a good thing to do.

Getting in their face about your rights leading to a loud or violent confrontation would feel better at the time but would the worst thing you could possibly do. Bad for you, bad for the reputation of your sport.

If you're on private land and are asked to leave. Leave immediately, no option on that one. As a non parkour participant I can tell you it is perceived as a pretty dangerous sport, which opens up liability to the landowner by allowing you on to their property. As most buildings are privately owned you're going to have issues with being asked to leave. Banning parkour is a bit tricky as when does running and jumping become parkour? You can't ban a person from running so asking someone to leave your property is not ambiguous. Think of it from their point of view. Why would they let you jump on/off their stuff and risk possible injury and lawsuit. A signed disclaimer might help but I'd be very surprised if someone responsible for a government building like a school, would give permission. Possibility a private building like a mall, but even then it's easier just to play it safe and say no.

You have the right to use a public space and, again, if you're not causing a disturbance, endangering any person or property or damaging anything you have the right to do as you please.

(This is not legal advice!!)
« Last Edit: July 09, 2009, 12:42:12 PM by AdmirePhotography »

Offline THEHELPERS

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • my friends + camra= fail picture
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2009, 08:21:50 AM »
i was not doing any thing wrong, its public land and i was doing no jumps of any sort, so she should have kept her awful comment to her self and leave be. by the way im not super heavy and i gave u good karma on your speech, it was fantastic ;D
PKFR

Offline AdmirePhotography

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2009, 01:02:20 PM »
Thanks mate. It's not that different for us photographers :)