Author Topic: Kong Video Could Use Some Suggestions On Technique  (Read 3280 times)

Offline Joe Ramos

• Guenons
    • View Profile
Kong Video Could Use Some Suggestions On Technique
« on: November 29, 2006, 06:44:07 PM »
Hey every one i finally got a very short video of me konging over the hood of my car, i was just hoping that the more experienced people could give me some pointers, thanks again

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b62dVzs42Ko

Offline Nicolas Finn

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
Re: Kong Video Could Use Some Suggestions On Technique
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2006, 06:51:16 PM »
lol at the dice off the rearview.
GENERATION 8: The first time you see this, copy and paste it into your sig and add 1 to the number after generation. Consider it a social experiment...

Offline PntbllKddN

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2006, 06:51:31 PM »
I'm not extremely experience but I would say the video is too close up and fast. Try setting the camera back further and doing more kongs.

Personally...  I <3 Kongs. :P

Offline Joe Ramos

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2006, 06:53:36 PM »
haha me too i had the camera proped on a garbage bin against the garage door and next time i film it i think ill back the car out a little more

Offline Travis Graves

• Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Primal Fitness
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2006, 08:07:06 PM »
Okay, first of all, I wasn't really able to see the movement and therefore can't really comment on that. However I will say a few things. First, when learning vaults just expiriment yourself and do them over and over and over and work out your own technique that is most efficient and suited to you. The most fun I have training for parkour is tweaking my movements and finding the best possible way to overcome certain obstacles and situations.

Trial and error is you friend and on top of that you won't come out looking like every other traceur out there because you took their advice and molded your technique out of their suggestions. Parkour is personal and I dislike how uniform it seems. My favorite thing about a video is seeing something I've never seen before, and that became my personal goal when creating a vid- put at least a couple things in that I'd never seen anyone do.

Kongs. Kongs are fun and sure look cool, but they are a very specialized movement that is very effective in clearing long distances, but very slow and cumbersome when faced with a relatively small obstacle like your car hood. My suggestion would be to approach obstacles at an all-out sprint and see what you do naturally, probably not a kong.

Also, a 30 second video for .5 seconds of vault?

Let me know if you need anything cleared up. Train hard, and train smart!
Don't step to me with your stats and your date smarts

You know your neighborhood by street signs or landmarks?

Offline Joe Ramos

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2006, 08:44:50 PM »
Yea again sorry the video is so scrunched together and i understand what your saying Noble and i agree in that parkour is personal and it will and should be different from person to person, my only problem is that being that i have really just started out (less than two months) i really want to get my vaults and rolls and the basics perfect. I know that once i become more accustom to the movements and it becomes more instinct than it is now i will fall into my own pattern of movement, i just ask about whether or not my form has any glaring mistakes that can be troublesome later, once i get over my fear of dashes i will probably have a clip asking the same thing. If anyone can spot these big mistakes please share! hahah yea i know that the video is really really short and that the vaulting is even shorter but i added the title and credits just so it had a little more to it and so i can get a little more used to the whole editing thing (this was my first clip) and in terms of approaching it at a full sprint, I think i might bail more or less most of the time, or try to Kong everything hahah again once i become a little more accustom to the vaults i will definitely be able to show some personal techniques in my parkour but until then I kinda have to work like this  :-\

Offline Havoc

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2006, 10:50:55 AM »
Well it's certain that that's your first vid (edits)
I couldn't really see anything wrong with your kong.
BUT try making another vid show some views from the side front back and each maybe in slow mo so we can see better.
I guess I'll be waiting for you next vid. :P
“It’s not because things are difficult that we don’t dare; it’s because we dont dare that things are difficult”.
- Seneque

Steez

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2006, 03:16:07 PM »
maybe your car is just loud when struck, but it seems that you are coming down far more than you are going forward judging by the noise of the vault.  a more efficient kong has more force going horizontally, and less going vertically. check out demon's most recent drill, it may help.

Offline Nicolas Finn

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2006, 06:25:19 PM »
naw man, every hood sounds like that.. I think he may have pushed a lot, but the car definitely makes a loud noise, believe me
GENERATION 8: The first time you see this, copy and paste it into your sig and add 1 to the number after generation. Consider it a social experiment...

Offline PntbllKddN

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2006, 01:46:05 PM »
lol... Jack do you happen to have another object you can Kong over for criticisms?

Offline Joe Ramos

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2006, 05:50:29 PM »
i don't understand? lol im hell of confused but yea the hood is loud no matter what but i do think im a little heavy when i land

Offline Dr. Unoriginal

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2006, 04:24:35 AM »
At least go over the top of the car. D:

Offline Joe Ramos

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2006, 12:10:37 PM »
haha not yet lol yay i got a tripod so all of my new videos should be like 10 times better!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Nicolas Finn

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2006, 04:04:56 PM »
after pausing continuously, I think you might have brought your feet in too quickly.. you're going to want to land with the foot that you kicked off with (at least that's what I was taught). Basically, you should land with your back parallel to the ground, so that your feet are aiming straight down in front of you, but your first foot will be starting into a run right away.