Author Topic: beginner  (Read 2090 times)

Offline Jeni4

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
beginner
« on: August 15, 2008, 03:28:30 PM »
Hey

I've pretty much just started parkour and have no idea where to start.
On one hand i have no idea what to do for traning, and on the other i have no idea how to learn to do flips...i mean know the "instructions" to doing flips but i guess my question is do you just go out and try to do them with the risk of seriously injuring yourself or is there a better way?

thanx

Offline Kiernan

• Patas
    • View Profile
Re: beginner
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2008, 06:48:55 PM »
First off when you say "flips" you mean "freerunning" not Parkour, and also If I were you I'd start out with basic vaults (safety vaults and Lazy vaults) that's what I did. Also you should work up your endurance and stamina while your at it! Then train your butt off! If i were you I'd worry about the basics first then work on "flips" and the best piece of advice I can give you is to try and find a gym near you  that has an experienced Traceur there to help train you (that's what I'm doing) I hope my advice at least helps a little=)

Offline Mark Toorock

• M2
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • American Parkour
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2008, 07:15:10 AM »
Nice Kiernan. Yes, flips are not parkour - but I'm not sure that's the most important point you raised :)

Jeni, check out the "How do I get started?" Article on the front page of the main site. Welcome to APK :)
Be Useful.
If I don't try to make the world a better place, who will?
Every person has a choice - live by your fears or live by your dreams

Offline Kiernan

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2008, 07:00:08 AM »
Your right M2! I totally spaced about that info :P I'll keep that in mind next time, Jeni4 good luck with your training! Remeber safety FIRST, trying to look cool second lol, also PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE! I've been lazy cuz of the heat, but don't let anything get you down! it's amazing how fast you can get rusty if you just start out and take a "break" ::)

Offline Jeni4

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2008, 02:27:10 PM »
thank you for all the advice,im sure it will help me alot

:D