Author Topic: I hate going to the doctor; need your help.  (Read 1416 times)

Offline Zxmbies

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
I hate going to the doctor; need your help.
« on: August 10, 2008, 02:52:22 PM »
Mostly because I don't like asking my parents for help...

Anyways I've been working a lot on my rolls this summer. Recently (August 3rd or 4th) my town had a festival and I got really worked up dancing and ended up jumping off a 10-12 foot fence. I've been able to still do Parkour since then, and I've had no trouble walking... but my legs have only gotten increasingly sore and now they feel sore almost all the time. It's not a stabbing pain, just an aching one. I assume because it's just an aching pain that theres no need to go see a doctor. How should I get back to Parkour as quickly as possible without visiting one?
From the dead will rise a plague to consume the homes of both the light and the dark. There is no salvation, only escape.

Offline SebastianPK

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
Re: I hate going to the doctor; need your help.
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2008, 07:51:53 PM »
What happened? How did you jump, land, get up, ect
I can suggest you may have landed hard and caused stress on your knees or ankles. How do you do your rolls?

Offline Steve Low

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Eat, Move, Improve
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2008, 10:51:24 PM »
1. Why are you jumping off stuff? That's not definitely not PK or freerunning; don't try to pass it off as such. It's just reckless and stupid.

2.  Aching all the time generally means overuse. This means you should REST until it goes away and continue to rest for a couple days after that.

3. After your body has recovered, work bad into stuff slowly. I would suggest ground level technique ONLY and listen to your body.
Posts NOT medical, training or nutrition advice
Site // Overcoming Gravity Book

Offline stableboy

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • Gretch Que
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2008, 10:58:46 PM »
Steve's post regarding long-term considerations are concise enough i guess.

But for the short term aid for your problem, might i suggest GOOD QUALITY ankle and knee supports. McDavid is a good brand with product offerings for stages of an injury. I advise that you do not scrimp on these. Of course, if you do decide to get supports, please dont spoil yourself wearing them forever. They need to come off after some time. And please try to go see an appropriate doctor, you might find a way around it without bothering your parents.

-=veni vidi vici=-

Offline Steve Low

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Eat, Move, Improve
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2008, 11:02:39 PM »
Steve's post regarding long-term considerations are concise enough i guess.

But for the short term aid for your problem, might i suggest GOOD QUALITY ankle and knee supports. McDavid is a good brand with product offerings for stages of an injury. I advise that you do not scrimp on these. Of course, if you do decide to get supports, please dont spoil yourself wearing them forever. They need to come off after some time. And please try to go see an appropriate doctor, you might find a way around it without bothering your parents.

I would say no to supports.

Firstly, if you're a teenager there is NO reason you should be needing these in the first place.

Secondly, supports do NOT fix the problems wrong. They just mask them.

Thirdly, the cost money.. which you don't need to spend.

Basically, you don't need them provided you're actually conditioning well and not being reckless. Backing off and listening to your body as overuse starts to occur. If you train smart, you will have a healthy body without need for supports at all.
Posts NOT medical, training or nutrition advice
Site // Overcoming Gravity Book

Offline stableboy

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • Gretch Que
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2008, 11:57:08 PM »
Thanks Steve.

Okay, listen to Steve  :)  Definitely knows better than i do. (and now i know better too, so thanks)
-=veni vidi vici=-