Author Topic: Tatum jumps into Parkour picture >:(  (Read 3634 times)

Offline Josh

• Patas
  • CHIEFTAIN PK/ Movement 101
    • View Profile
    • Chieftain PK
Tatum jumps into Parkour picture >:(
« on: August 08, 2008, 08:41:26 AM »
 I know there's already a thread on the movie, but this is for how they're explaining parkour, and it just ticks me off! http://www.variety.com/VR1117990235.html

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=23052
« Last Edit: August 11, 2008, 10:17:07 AM by Josh "Deer" Smith »
"Repetition of the simple is NOT a waste of time. Practice of the advanced without the perfection of the simple IS a waste of time." ~ Rick Henry

"Train in what you usually wear. Zombies won't wait for you to change out of your jeans."~ Patrick Yang

Offline Corey Cedeno

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
Re: Tatum jumps into Parkour picture >:(
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2008, 09:21:42 AM »
Oh that is bull****!

"...parkour, the popular sport of climbing onto any available structure and then leaping off it in the manner of a spider monkey with a death wish onto some other structure, and repeating until something snaps." (Empire)

Offline EpicMovement

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2008, 09:44:11 AM »
I smell a beat down comin.

Better watch out Empire.   :-Sarcasm

But seriously.... That was CRAP!    [WTF]

Offline misstanyamae

• Patas
  • I am come from a battle of Deeds Not Words.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2008, 12:08:04 PM »
Maybe a bunch of us should send really unassuming messages pressing them for their sources and questioning their research. Discrediting them seems like the best way to do it.
bababadalgharaghtakamminarronnkonnbronntonnerronntuonnthunntrovarrhounawnskawntoohooh

-James Joyce

her wounds     came     from the same source as her power
-Adrienne Rich

Offline Josh Maciel

• Hirundo Rustica
  • You lied to me. -Caboose
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2008, 04:54:11 PM »
i did that we need others to too
There is no past, there is no future, there is only the present because that is all that matters.

A bad Traucer does a technique until he gets it right. A good Traucer does it until he can not get it wrong.-David Belle

Offline Corey Cedeno

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2008, 08:18:42 PM »
I did that awhile back.  I even tried to call them... stupid England phone numbers.

Offline Andy Animus Tran

• Hirundo Rustica
  • The Invisible Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2008, 12:43:30 PM »
That article changes nothing..  It won't change the film, and it won't change people's impressions. Don't worry about it.

We fight the film with good publicity.  We'll be ready for it.  Don't worry.
Andy Tran, C.S.C.S.
Lead Parkour Instructor
Urban Evolution
Parkour Virginia

Offline Chris Wachtman

• Patas
  • biketheusforms.org/cyclists/detail.asp?cid=72
    • View Profile
    • I Has Blog
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2008, 02:22:33 PM »
I agree that it will not change the film, but I believe that it can change people's impressions. If people are being introduced to parkour by reading these articles and not taking the time to find out what parkour really is, then they will have a negative view on Parkour. That negative view can spread.
Here's an article that takes its info directly from the Variety article:
http://www.popcritics.com/2008/08/channing-tatum-to-star-in-parkour-heist-drama/

On a positive note, here is one who's writer read the same Variety article, but took the time to learn about Parkour:
http://buzzsugar.com/1859349
They call me SPYDER.

Safety, Progression, Repetition, Natural Movement.

Offline Alex L.

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2008, 08:23:08 PM »
Not only does the way they depict parkour very insulting, but having Channing Tatum in it is just worse!  >:(

Offline Chris [.5gibbon] Stevenson!

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2008, 05:25:58 PM »
wow
"Be like water making its way through cracks.  Do not be assertive,  but adjust to the object, and you shall find a way around or through it." - Bruce Lee

"There are few things graven in stone, except that you have to squat or you're a pussy." -Mark Rippetoe

Offline Ozzi

• Sexability Head Coach
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • HIpk
    • View Profile
    • Hawaii Parkour
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2008, 11:41:44 AM »
Weather they define it wrong or not, tons pf people will probably do their own research either by watching videos or reading and visiting sites. So lets take advantage of the no so great exposure that this movie will do for us to educate those who come after watching the movie. We cant expect much about the media but it is our jog to be the diplomats of the discipline once new people come seeking for advice, info etc.

I agree with you all about how horrible they are making it look, however there is very little we can do to change what others decide to write about it, again, we can always do our part to convey the right message.

Less complaining, more doing.

Sending them emails is not a bad idea, just please be smart, have good grammar, be polite and kindly explain what is it that we do. The last thing we need is also be labeled as PUNKS (one more time).

My 2c
"Be the change you want to see in the world"
 Ghandi

Offline Dan Elric

• Ambassador
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2008, 04:51:06 PM »
He's going to hurt himself if he tries to do the moves himself without proper training and conditioning D:

And the movie name according to IMDB is "Parkour".  They should of done their research >.>  David Belle owns the rights to the word parkour.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2008, 04:55:00 PM by Daniel Kelley »

Offline Alex L.

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2008, 06:54:28 PM »
Weather they define it wrong or not, tons pf people will probably do their own research either by watching videos or reading and visiting sites. So lets take advantage of the no so great exposure that this movie will do for us to educate those who come after watching the movie. We cant expect much about the media but it is our jog to be the diplomats of the discipline once new people come seeking for advice, info etc.

I agree with you all about how horrible they are making it look, however there is very little we can do to change what others decide to write about it, again, we can always do our part to convey the right message.

Less complaining, more doing.

Sending them emails is not a bad idea, just please be smart, have good grammar, be polite and kindly explain what is it that we do. The last thing we need is also be labeled as PUNKS (one more time).

My 2c
lol last thing we need is people sending e-mails like this:
             Deer Movey Makrs;
Eye dont liik howe u prezent parkur in ur movey..............

Offline Casquinha

• Mangabey
  • Dan Handley --- formerly "CommandoChicken"
    • View Profile
    • Joke Pizza
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2008, 11:55:37 AM »
Here's a thought.

Get involved with any local Independent Filmmakers clubs.  See if you can get Indie movies made depicting Parkour properly.  Perhaps one or two could get picked up for broadcast or mass release.  But at the very least some people might get edumikated.

-- Daniel C. Handley
"Do not go where the path may lead; go instead where there is no path and leave a trail." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"Do not go where the path may lead; go instead where there is no path and leave no trace." -- A much better version

vrai

« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2008, 05:18:10 PM »
Belle won the copyright for parkour?