Author Topic: Wall run success  (Read 5436 times)

Offline Bryan Petersen

• Patas
    • View Profile
Re: Wall run FAILURE
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2008, 12:57:15 AM »
Im not trying to promote any products (I am, but not in this post) by saying this but what kind of shoes do you have? Ive failed over and over again at wall runs until I changed shoes. More specifically (again, not supposed to be a commercial, but this actually happened), I was trying it with some running shoes, then switched to some Ariakes and made it. Its not a myth that some shoes have more grip than others.

This does not by any means suggest that shoes produce special skills, HOWEVER, sometimes they give you that extra inch ;)

90 bucks for an extra inch on a wall run doesnt really seem worth it.  if he can get that wall using the same shoes he would probably feel more accomplished and notice his progression as a traceur more so than changing to a shoe with slightly better grip.

Ariakes are 40$ now on footlocker.com :P
Parkour has opened my senses, the world is mine.

Offline Skipper

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2008, 06:11:33 AM »
Guys, this is by no means a thread about 'which' brand shoe is better (ariakes/5.10/etc). The main point is that I have never met a person that had tried skate shoes side by side with a good running or freerunning shoe and didnt find the running/freerunning shoe to be a better option, thats all im saying. People's styles, body types, strengths, weaknesses, and even foot structure determine which shoe works best. Ive tried more shoes than you guys can imagine. Ive tested to extent, every shoe that people used for freerunning (before the actual freerunning shoes), then when freerunning shoes started coming out, Ive tested everything the market had to offer (I think I even still have some New Balance freerunning shoes in my closet.... yeah, they didnt even start making those!). And of them all, Ive found the ariakes to be the best for my body/style/etc. Other people swear by the 5.10s and I'm not saying they are wrong, that works for them.

Im just trying to say that you need to find the shoe that works best with you. BUT, I would at least start by trying a buddy's running shoe if you dont want to buy a pair ;)

EDIT: This is only in reply to the SHOE factore. There are plenty of factors in succeeding in this wallrun, just keep at it to improve the technique. If you can, run faster at the wall so when you plant your foot there is more forward momentum into the wall, therefore, more grip.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2008, 06:14:22 AM by Skipper »

Offline Vinny Pellegrini

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2008, 06:07:30 PM »
i went back again today, i heated up my shoes with a lighter and my fingernail saw the top of the roof. so still no success, but definate improvement
the floor is lavA!

Offline Cloud

• Ryan Cousins
  • Global Moderator
  • Mangabey
  • APK Alliance - TEAM N00B YEAH!
    • View Profile
    • Aero
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2008, 08:34:35 PM »
Honestly man....  take a look at any traceur that has been doing it over 3 years....  All of them have running shoes... 

I think that speaks louder then any else

Get with the flow...

Offline wacko_wasko

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2008, 09:04:32 PM »

DUDE!  :o I could almost say I love you!  I'm gunna cop a pair right now!
Capoeira Mata Um
A Son Of Bimba Never Falls

Offline Vinny Pellegrini

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2008, 05:43:18 PM »
i went back again, heres a better picture of how close i came.
the floor is lavA!

Offline Muhammad

• Hirundo Rustica
  • London, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2008, 06:31:24 PM »
use visualization. stand in front of that wall and visualize yourself running up and getting your fingers over that ledge, and then when you run up the wall keep your eyes focused on the goal, and put your whole body into it. you have to commit 110%.

Offline Bryan Petersen

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2008, 06:34:14 PM »

DUDE!  :o I could almost say I love you!  I'm gunna cop a pair right now!

lol... please... a thank you is enough :P
Parkour has opened my senses, the world is mine.

Offline Vinny Pellegrini

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2008, 08:50:42 PM »
Honestly man....  take a look at any traceur that has been doing it over 3 years....  All of them have running shoes... 

all? well i've been doing this for over 3 years. and i use skate shoes, and they have never given me a problem. and i have yet to sustain any injuries or loose my footing because of my shoes.

the shoes i wear are made of soft rubber, that bends around what i'm walking on, and have a gel pad in the heel to help reduce shock.
the floor is lavA!

Hyper_Mode

« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2008, 02:05:02 PM »

all? well i've been doing this for over 3 years. and i use skate shoes, and they have never given me a problem. and i have yet to sustain any injuries or loose my footing because of my shoes.

the shoes i wear are made of soft rubber, that bends around what i'm walking on, and have a gel pad in the heel to help reduce shock.

But the thing is, do you know how good your knees are going to be in 10 years from now?

If they take slight damage over the years then it will build up over the years.. You know what I mean?

Offline Vinny Pellegrini

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2008, 02:58:55 PM »
:)
the floor is lavA!

Offline Shae Perkins

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Texas tough
    • View Profile
Re: Wall run success
« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2008, 08:54:34 AM »
Haha, I think you just put all those skate shoe haters in their place. Good job man!
This post was based off of my personal gatherings. Enjoy:)

Offline Jacob Wood

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2008, 02:28:10 PM »
thats great can we get a vid

Offline Vinny Pellegrini

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2008, 05:35:27 PM »
the floor is lavA!

Offline vrus

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 15, 2008, 06:44:18 PM »
um.... goddamn!

Offline Vinny Pellegrini

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 18, 2008, 09:08:58 AM »
um.... goddamn!

so you like it then? hah i really should measure that wallrun, im guesstimating it to be around 12' -12'6'' but thats just me using my own height as a gauge
the floor is lavA!

Offline Kiernan

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 18, 2008, 09:56:10 AM »
Looks like I'm not the only person that uses skate shoes! Nice vid by the way! I remeber last week I did my first wall pass (in a gym) and I sprained my ankle :( but a couple of days ago I was eyeing my friends shed thinking "huh that could be fun to play on" and my friend gave me the dirtiest look and claimed her shed was to old to be played on :'( I want to practice my wall passes but I'm paranoid about damaging property, it's one thing when someone lets you practice vaults behind their office building (or whatever) it's another to let someone run up the side of said building.......ugh, no happy medium in a matter like this I suppose ::)