Author Topic: Wall run success  (Read 5439 times)

Offline Vinny Pellegrini

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
Wall run success
« on: August 05, 2008, 10:32:53 PM »
i did this 50 times in a row. every single time just a half inch away. FRUSTRATINGG? NO WAY!!!

......  >:(

how can i pick up an extra inch or two? i want this so bad!

EDIT: see the final page for the successful video. :-p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdBLKysxog4
« Last Edit: August 15, 2008, 05:47:40 PM by bioobird »
the floor is lavA!

Offline Ryan Ford

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • APEX Movement
Re: Wall run FAILURE
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2008, 10:42:17 PM »
Just keep trying! You will get it eventually. I've had wall runs that I tried to get for several years until I succeeded. Also, watch your landings when you don't make it!

Offline Vinny Pellegrini

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2008, 10:55:35 PM »
i shall try again tomorrow! (luckily this wall is right around the corner from my house)
the floor is lavA!

Offline Tom Coppola

• Hirundo Rustica
  • TomewardBound
    • View Profile
    • Florida Parkour
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2008, 12:02:26 AM »
yea man, just keep trying.  i finally just got a wall that has been plaguing me since i started training.  however, it looks like you aren't planting your foot high enough.  try planting it at about hip/waist level on the wall if you aren't already doing so.  good luck, i hope you get it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfGJ-vaW0Uw

When faced with the stress of a life-threatening engagement, we don't rise to the occasion, we descend to our level of training.

Offline Paul Leon Mederos

• Legend
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Simple Knowledge - Leon's Tumblr Blog
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2008, 06:15:04 AM »
If you want it, let it go. Don't go there for a month. Find another wall thats about a foot smaller and do that one 100 times.

Then go back to your wall.... it'll be yours on the first try since your THATT close  ;D
When we move, we move as one.

Act; for the universe will never forget your movement, nor will it ever forgive your stillness.

Offline Skipper

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2008, 07:12:28 AM »
Im not trying to promote any products (I am, but not in this post) by saying this but what kind of shoes do you have? Ive failed over and over again at wall runs until I changed shoes. More specifically (again, not supposed to be a commercial, but this actually happened), I was trying it with some running shoes, then switched to some Ariakes and made it. Its not a myth that some shoes have more grip than others.

This does not by any means suggest that shoes produce special skills, HOWEVER, sometimes they give you that extra inch ;)

Offline Tom Coppola

• Hirundo Rustica
  • TomewardBound
    • View Profile
    • Florida Parkour
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2008, 07:26:50 AM »
Im not trying to promote any products (I am, but not in this post) by saying this but what kind of shoes do you have? Ive failed over and over again at wall runs until I changed shoes. More specifically (again, not supposed to be a commercial, but this actually happened), I was trying it with some running shoes, then switched to some Ariakes and made it. Its not a myth that some shoes have more grip than others.

This does not by any means suggest that shoes produce special skills, HOWEVER, sometimes they give you that extra inch ;)

90 bucks for an extra inch on a wall run doesnt really seem worth it.  if he can get that wall using the same shoes he would probably feel more accomplished and notice his progression as a traceur more so than changing to a shoe with slightly better grip.

When faced with the stress of a life-threatening engagement, we don't rise to the occasion, we descend to our level of training.

Offline Jesse Clark

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
    • APEX Movement Loveland
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2008, 07:35:44 AM »

90 bucks for an extra inch on a wall run doesnt really seem worth it.  if he can get that wall using the same shoes he would probably feel more accomplished and notice his progression as a traceur more so than changing to a shoe with slightly better grip.

Unless his shoes are causing problems in other areas of his training too...
Whether you believe you can do it or you believe you can't; you're right.

Offline Josh Maciel

• Hirundo Rustica
  • You lied to me. -Caboose
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2008, 08:20:25 AM »
One thing I will suggest is that when getting your second foot on the wall put it sideways and not straight like you did in the video...it will allow you to get closer to the wall and may give you enough room to get it.
There is no past, there is no future, there is only the present because that is all that matters.

A bad Traucer does a technique until he gets it right. A good Traucer does it until he can not get it wrong.-David Belle

Offline Vinny Pellegrini

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2008, 09:25:26 AM »
i have always wore skate shoes myself and i'm getting full grip on the wall so that doesn't seem like an issue. the video is pretty distorted because i filmed it side ways and then when i put it normal it squished everything together. and i tryed to mess with the aspect ratio and i cropped it and yea i really messed it up. haha sooo annoying... cause what fun is a wallrun if you cant see how high it actually is, but im over 6' tall, and it was more than twice of me so im guessing its between 12 and 13 feet high of a wall.

but ANYWAYS  ive been using the "pop vault" method, as well as my right hand, and i get a solid pop and everything feels perfect.. but then i miss. and fall to the ground like a stupid apple.

im going back to the wall today. and THIS time im gunna be so hopped up on caffine and taurine im just gunna go CRAZY at that wall.

the floor is lavA!

Offline Shae Perkins

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Texas tough
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2008, 09:29:15 AM »
I gotta respect your level determination. I would have to agree with Leon a few posts back about saying you maybe want to take a break for a few weeks and go train other places. Go to other smaller walls were a wall run technique might be suitable and train at them until you can just completely power up them with no effort at all. One thing I actually do: go train your wall runs barefoot. It gives you some extra sensitivity with your foot placement and overall power you put into the step. Note: I would suggest to toughen your feet up a smigeon before you do that.

And while the Ariakes will most likely get you those extra few inches, I wouldn't buy them when your SO close. Just keep working on it.
This post was based off of my personal gatherings. Enjoy:)

Offline Patrick Holten (Denver Family) Flux Freerunning

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Life on the run.
    • View Profile
    • Ya!!! Youtube!!!
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2008, 12:39:04 PM »
Buy the five ten free runners and you WILL make it, I promise you $102.00 ;D :-Sarcasm
"Live what you love."- Me, Patrick Holten
WHAT I LOVE...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aiviEs4zmNo
DENVER FAMILY PRESENTS: FLUX FREE RUNNING

Offline Paul Leon Mederos

• Legend
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Simple Knowledge - Leon's Tumblr Blog
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2008, 12:46:28 PM »
Buy the five ten free runners and you WILL make it, I promise you $102.00 ;D :-Sarcasm

I can guarantee you that if you try it barefoot you'll probably make it higher  ;)
When we move, we move as one.

Act; for the universe will never forget your movement, nor will it ever forgive your stillness.

Offline Skipper

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2008, 01:33:14 PM »
Im not saying the ariakes are worth that extra inch in that spot, but I feel like they are worth the thousands of other places where I could use an extra inch (NO PENIS JOKES..... LOL OK, PENIS JOKES FINE).

But either way, i would at least suggest some running shoes to improve the arch in your foot. Skate shoes are designed to stay on a board, rather than moving around with any amount of agility.

Offline Adam McC

• Delicious
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Level 1 Sexability Certified
    • View Profile
    • Lehigh Valley Parkour
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2008, 02:15:43 PM »
Im not saying the ariakes are worth that extra inch in that spot, but I feel like they are worth the thousands of other places where I could use an extra inch (NO PENIS JOKES..... LOL OK, PENIS JOKES FINE).

But either way, i would at least suggest some running shoes to improve the arch in your foot. Skate shoes are designed to stay on a board, rather than moving around with any amount of agility.

I have to agree with Altair, the fivetens give you much better grip than ariakes on a ragged brick type wall.

But that's besides the point. You're close enough to make it with the shoes you got. The thing with wall runs is occasionally you get a good one, maybe you'll get 5 good ones in a row, and then the next one could randomly suck. And you could do 5 sucky ones, and then the next one could randomly kick ass. Just gotta go for it over and over until eventually you nail it. And you will, my friend, you will. :)

•Lehigh Valley Parkour Community Founder
•Level 1 A.D.A.P.T. Certified
•Urban Current Member

Offline Vinny Pellegrini

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2008, 02:34:07 PM »
lose the skate shoes....  :o they have been with me ever since i started, i remmeber the first pair of these guys i got. it was in a little skate shop in my village. and they were exploding off the shelf at me and i had to have them. then i bought the same model over and over again 8 times over, until every size 11 was sold out from zappos.com and they discontinued them and i have yet to find a pair so ive adapted to these STUPID GAY DUMB similar onces that look almost exactly the same. lol

but as you can see in this video the royal blue and black d/c lynxs can perform extremly well in high grip situations. due to soft rubber

observe this diagram/video clip. of them in action. Lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEQ7i1s8Nks
the floor is lavA!

Offline Tom Coppola

• Hirundo Rustica
  • TomewardBound
    • View Profile
    • Florida Parkour
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2008, 03:01:09 PM »
grip isnt the only thing you should be looking for in a shoe.  skate shoes simply are not as good as a trainer or running shoe.  i dont doubt that you can perform well in a skate shoe, but my bet is down the line those shoes you love would hinder your progression.

Offline Chris [.5gibbon] Stevenson!

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2008, 03:08:59 PM »
skate shoes are horrible for your knees if you run in them and even worse if you jump in them.   you would be lucky to not have some form of tendinitis in the future if you don't discontinue them.     also i think the looseness might be hindering your wall runs?
but i do like the wall flip regardless ;D 
"Be like water making its way through cracks.  Do not be assertive,  but adjust to the object, and you shall find a way around or through it." - Bruce Lee

"There are few things graven in stone, except that you have to squat or you're a pussy." -Mark Rippetoe

Offline Jesse Clark

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
    • APEX Movement Loveland
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2008, 07:04:27 PM »

I can guarantee you that if you try it barefoot you'll probably make it higher  ;)

Remind me not to take advice from you this coming weekend, 'kay. :-Sarcasm
Whether you believe you can do it or you believe you can't; you're right.

Offline Chris Wachtman

• Patas
  • biketheusforms.org/cyclists/detail.asp?cid=72
    • View Profile
    • I Has Blog
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2008, 10:52:13 PM »
Remind me not to take advice from you this coming weekend, 'kay. :-Sarcasm

It really can improve wallruns. Barefeet have excellent grip on brick and are lighter than any shoe.

The downside is that they provide zero protection or support.
They call me SPYDER.

Safety, Progression, Repetition, Natural Movement.