Author Topic: A Paradigm Shift for Diet  (Read 11052 times)

Offline Chris Salvato

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Eat. Move. Improve.
    • View Profile
    • Chris Salvato
Re: A Paradigm Shift for Diet
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2008, 04:25:20 AM »
Buy a big box of baking cocoa and make your own.

I make my own chocolate syrup that is something like 90% cocoa.

Offline Andy Animus Tran

• Hirundo Rustica
  • The Invisible Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2008, 04:29:42 AM »
Buy a big box of baking cocoa and make your own.

I make my own chocolate syrup that is something like 90% cocoa.

I already have enough trouble trying to make lunch the next day and still get to bed at a reasonable hour.  :(
Andy Tran, C.S.C.S.
Lead Parkour Instructor
Urban Evolution
Parkour Virginia

Offline Chris Salvato

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Eat. Move. Improve.
    • View Profile
    • Chris Salvato
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2008, 05:34:14 AM »
Takes maybe 10 minutes to make a 2 month supply of chocolate syrup.

I understand your predicament, but i think you can afford 10 minutes out of every 2 months :P

Offline Andy Animus Tran

• Hirundo Rustica
  • The Invisible Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2008, 06:26:15 AM »
Takes maybe 10 minutes to make a 2 month supply of chocolate syrup.

I understand your predicament, but i think you can afford 10 minutes out of every 2 months :P

...Nope.  Not at all.   :P
Andy Tran, C.S.C.S.
Lead Parkour Instructor
Urban Evolution
Parkour Virginia

Offline Alissa J. Bratz

• Hirundo Rustica
  • middle-aged man in mom's basement eating Fritos
    • View Profile
    • wisconsinparkour.com
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2008, 09:16:10 AM »
You should be able to find chocolate in your supermarket. Try looking at the candy aisle instead of the baking aisle. Amid all the crap they should have a small corner dedicated to "premium" chocolates. Lindt makes some delicious bars at 65%, 75%, and 85% (my favorite). They come in white packages:

http://www.lindtusa.com/shop_product.cfm?ProductShopBy=32

Also, you may have an artisanal chocolatier near you (I would hope!) We have 4 in Madison (lucky us!). It is WAY more expensive but so worth it. Plus you are more likely to savor it if it's more expensive and you kind of have to make it last.

Generally, though, artisanal chocolates don't last very long because they don't have any preservatives in them; so you have to buy them frequently in small batches, and I'm not sure if you have time for that.

Here is a recipe to make your own syrup:

1/2 cup cocoa, packed
1 cup water
1-2 cups sugar (to taste; the less sugar the better, but remember you do need some sugar to make the syrup "set up" properly)
dash of salt
dash of vanilla

Mix the cocoa and water to dissolve the cocoa, add sugar and dissolve. Boil about 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Add salt and vanilla.

Keep it in the fridge.

Maybe Chris has a better recipe?

She followed slowly, taking a long time,
as though there were some obstacle in the way;
and yet: as though, once it was overcome,
she would be beyond all walking, and would fly.
--excerpt from Going Blind, Rainer Maria Rilke

www.madisonparkour.com

Offline Chris Salvato

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Eat. Move. Improve.
    • View Profile
    • Chris Salvato
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2008, 09:37:21 AM »
My syrup recipe is much more simple and much more healthy -- while being a whole lot more bland.

1 cup cocoa powder (unsweetened)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup cold water
Honey (quantity up to you...i try to use as little as possible.  Last batch had only 2 or 3 tbsp and had the same consistency as hershey's syrup)

Optional:
1 tablespoon vanilla

Put in a saucepan and boil to desired consistency, stirring frequently.

I use this on ice cream and in smoothies and it tastes fine to me.  It's a bit harsh if u are not used to an EXTREMELY high concentration of cocoa but it packs all the benefits of cocoa without the negative aspects of commercial syrups....or higher sugar homemade styles.

Considering you like high % of cocoa, u may want to try this for yourself, muse.

Offline Andy Animus Tran

• Hirundo Rustica
  • The Invisible Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2008, 03:26:47 PM »
I've got a 10% BF reading at maximum (about 9.3 on average)..  What's a good and healthy range that I should be shooting for?
Andy Tran, C.S.C.S.
Lead Parkour Instructor
Urban Evolution
Parkour Virginia

Offline Chris Salvato

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Eat. Move. Improve.
    • View Profile
    • Chris Salvato
« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2008, 04:44:02 PM »
depends on your body type....

usually 7-12% is a good range to be in....

I am a bit skeptical about that 10%/9.3% BF that you are claiming, no offense.

Where did you get that percentage?

I have known many people who have said they are 9% BF and swear up and down that they have no more fat than that -- then get tested to be over 15%.

Unless the camera really doesn't agree with you, these data may be skewed.

Though, looking at me on most videos when I was 9.7% I didn't look to be at that BF% either <shrug>.  The camera isn't so forgiving.

Just saying to make sure you understand the source of your measurements.

Offline Andy Animus Tran

• Hirundo Rustica
  • The Invisible Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2008, 05:10:08 PM »
I'm getting that from the BF scale you posted in another thread.  I'll try again, now.

9.8%

I know it's not necessarily the absolute most accurate way to go about things.. I'm pretty skeptical of it, too, because I certainly don't think taht I look it.
Andy Tran, C.S.C.S.
Lead Parkour Instructor
Urban Evolution
Parkour Virginia

Offline Chris Salvato

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Eat. Move. Improve.
    • View Profile
    • Chris Salvato
« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2008, 05:26:57 PM »
I'm getting that from the BF scale you posted in another thread.  I'll try again, now.

9.8%

I know it's not necessarily the absolute most accurate way to go about things.. I'm pretty skeptical of it, too, because I certainly don't think taht I look it.

Did you read the manual?

The reading you took just now is pretty much garbage.

Use it in the morning as soon as you get up.  Make sure your height and weight are accurate.

Or you can remove that variable all together and calculate the lean mass -- all it does is calculate a lean mass then reverse the calculation to obtain a BF% based on your inputted BW. (Lean Mass/BW = BF%)

Offline Andy Animus Tran

• Hirundo Rustica
  • The Invisible Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2008, 05:55:00 PM »
I've read the manual.  My average has been over the past two days, including morning checks.  I won't trust it for another few days, though.  I'll try this lean mass thing if I can figure that out.
Andy Tran, C.S.C.S.
Lead Parkour Instructor
Urban Evolution
Parkour Virginia

Offline Chris Salvato

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Eat. Move. Improve.
    • View Profile
    • Chris Salvato
« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2008, 06:00:33 PM »
Hm.  Yeah.

Conducting those experiments within like 2 hours of eating is going to be very inconsistent.  Especially if you don't do it at the same time every day.

Hey, you may be 9.8%.  In which case, congrats!

If you can't see your abs though, you need to lose BF.  If you can't see your abs when you lift your arms over your head, then you DEFINITELY need to lose BF.

In this case, the meter may just not be working for you or you may have dietary problems that are causing water retention.  Else, you may have big bones and thick connective tissue causing your lean mass to be high while still having higher BF.

Offline Andy Animus Tran

• Hirundo Rustica
  • The Invisible Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2008, 06:13:01 PM »
Well, I know I need to lose BF.  All my fat storage is right on that gut there, too.  It's not a whole lot, but I think it interferes.

I can actually see the upper portion of my abs fine, but not the lower bit.
Andy Tran, C.S.C.S.
Lead Parkour Instructor
Urban Evolution
Parkour Virginia

Offline Andy Animus Tran

• Hirundo Rustica
  • The Invisible Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2008, 06:04:04 AM »
Updates on how I'm doing.

Basically, I haven't really had a starchy carb in months other than two slices of whole grain bread a week with a sandwich.  I lost two waist sizes, and my stomach's a bit flatter, but there's still more fat there than I'd like.  All the same, progress is progress.

I think what's really astounding is this, and this is why I'm doing the update:  When I got home last weekend from Canada, my mother had made spaghetti.  Being a good little boy, I decided to eat some.  I filled up a plate with the normal amount I would eat prior to this diet change and went at it.  I didn't finish the plate.  I didn't even come close.  By the time I had three forkfulls of pasta, I felt like I had overeaten a disgusting amount of food.  Upon revisits, it seems that I can only comfortably eat about a palm-sized helping of pasta without feeling extremely full.  I'm not sure if this has anything to do with not eating carbs like that for awhile or just more to do with my portion sizes getting smaller over time, but it's really interesting to me.
Andy Tran, C.S.C.S.
Lead Parkour Instructor
Urban Evolution
Parkour Virginia

Offline Chris Salvato

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Eat. Move. Improve.
    • View Profile
    • Chris Salvato
« Reply #34 on: November 20, 2008, 06:45:23 AM »
Welcome to being insulin sensitive.

Offline Patrick Yang

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Outrunner
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 20, 2008, 08:25:39 AM »
Grats on the progress!
Training log.
Train hard, eat smart, and act with honor.

Offline tombb

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 20, 2008, 01:14:17 PM »
Congratulations on your progress.

About your feeling full so quickly from eating pasta, I would imagine it has a lot to do with getting used to smaller portions (so your stomach can feel stretched and full sooner) and in part with you getting used to producing less starch-digesting enzymes like amylase (and in that meal insufficient to digest it well).

While insulin has a role in appetite, I don't think that amylase could digest starch fast enough (3 forkfulls time) to really be a factor in what you described, and would have a more important role in losing appetite from eating fruit or sugar/candy. Also in general insulin controls your appetite but feeling full is a signal that involves more than just appetite control, but primarily from signals from your stomach if it's stretched more than it's used to or from undigested food and other complementary signals that also control appetite like fat and protein digestion.
 I think Chris meant the "welcome to insulin sensitivity" as a general remark about being fitter and not as a direct cause of feeling fuller faster here, I am just clarifying it to avoid confusion.

Offline Steve Low

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Eat, Move, Improve
« Reply #37 on: November 20, 2008, 06:51:24 PM »
No, he meant welcome to insulin sensitivity as the fact that most people perform and feel better on a lower carb approach to diet...
Posts NOT medical, training or nutrition advice
Site // Overcoming Gravity Book

Offline tombb

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 21, 2008, 01:00:03 AM »
That's a puzzling reply. First you say no, then you repeat or paraphrase exactly what I said...

Unless I am missing something. Are you saying there is a significant difference in meaning between these two statements below?
No, he meant welcome to insulin sensitivity as the fact that most people perform and feel better on a lower carb approach to diet...
I think Chris meant the "welcome to insulin sensitivity" as a general remark about being fitter and not as a direct cause of feeling fuller faster here, I am just clarifying it to avoid confusion.
("being fitter" and "perform and feel better" mean the same thing here, and in both cases it would be wrong to assume that a feeling of fullness was caused by insulin)

I normally wouldn't bother replying about this weird inconsistency since it doesn't add anything to the actual topic, but that's not the first time that this has happened so I thought I would ask.

Offline Sat Santokh

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Don't think with your balls, think with your brain
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 30, 2008, 12:53:01 AM »
That's a puzzling reply. First you say no, then you repeat or paraphrase exactly what I said...

Unless I am missing something. Are you saying there is a significant difference in meaning between these two statements below?
("being fitter" and "perform and feel better" mean the same thing here, and in both cases it would be wrong to assume that a feeling of fullness was caused by insulin)

I normally wouldn't bother replying about this weird inconsistency since it doesn't add anything to the actual topic, but that's not the first time that this has happened so I thought I would ask.

I'm sorry, this has been bugging me a little bit.  What are your qualifications?