Author Topic: A Paradigm Shift for Diet  (Read 11506 times)

Offline Andy Animus Tran

• Hirundo Rustica
  • The Invisible Man
    • View Profile
A Paradigm Shift for Diet
« on: August 05, 2008, 03:36:40 PM »
As of recently, I've been eating rather terribly.  I was eating better before I got my job, but not extremely well.  Still, since September, I had dropped from a 34 waist to a 31... Now, I am back up to 33 in the two months that I have been working.  The reason is mostly because I eat out for lunch... and the reason I don't pack food is because I live at home again, which means that I don't buy my own groceries (ended as of today)..  Problem is that I only bought $20 worth and had trouble fitting it in the fridge!  Haha.  (All our veggies are otherwise very leafy vegetables with little nutritional value that my dad likes to put in his soups... these are rather.. Asian leafs..)

In any case, I'm basically restructuring my diet from the ground up, and I want to double-check with everyone here to see if I'm getting the right proportions.

First of all, I'm avoiding most grains and starches, allowing myself bread/pasta/rice no more than twice a week.  Otherwise:

Breakfast:
Normally consists of 2-4 eggs, either hardboiled or raw, a piece of fruit (normally a banana or a peach), and three spoonfulls of yogurt.

Snack: Roughly 2.5-3 hours later.  I will be snacking on about a cup of raw vegetables, a half-cup of nuts, and about two spoonfuls of yogurt.  I will try to vary this as much as possible, but that's the portions of carbs/protein/fatty-something that I'm going for.

Lunch: Roughly 2-3 hours later.  This will consist of two cups of two different vegetables, a protein/fat source such as natural peanut butter (roughly two tablespoons), or a lean meat like 3-4 slices of turkey, chicken.. or a grilled quail or whatnot.  If I am to have the lean meat, I will add two fish oil pills to the process.  Occasionally, I will make a sandwich with whole grain bread or whole grain pita, keeping in mind the no-more-than-twice-a-week rule.

Snack: Roughly 2-3 hours later (this would be right before I head home) A piece of fruit and an egg and fish oil pill, likely, or similar proportioned alternative.

Dinner: Roughly 2-3 hours later.  A larger protein source, two cups of two different vegetables, and either a fat source coupled with the protein (in the case of say.. a salmon fillet) or an independent fat source (an avacado or something) or two fish oil pills.

Snack:  Roughly two hours before bed.  This will be the lightest of all, consisting of a cup of vegetables and maybe an egg or a spoon of peanut butter or something.

The vegetables/fruits will be rotated as often as possible, giving myself as much of a variety as I can at different times of the day.  I will aim to never eat the same veggie/fruit source more than twice in one day, and not more than four times every three days.

And I will be drinking nothing but water during this process.

Okay, chip it to pieces, folks.
Andy Tran, C.S.C.S.
Lead Parkour Instructor
Urban Evolution
Parkour Virginia

Offline Bryan Petersen

• Patas
    • View Profile
Re: A Paradigm Shift for Diet
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2008, 03:42:05 PM »
sounds good, good luck, tell me if it helps :P
Parkour has opened my senses, the world is mine.

Offline Alissa J. Bratz

• Hirundo Rustica
  • middle-aged man in mom's basement eating Fritos
    • View Profile
    • wisconsinparkour.com
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2008, 08:07:55 AM »
What is it you're hoping to accomplish with this diet?
She followed slowly, taking a long time,
as though there were some obstacle in the way;
and yet: as though, once it was overcome,
she would be beyond all walking, and would fly.
--excerpt from Going Blind, Rainer Maria Rilke

www.madisonparkour.com

Offline Andy Animus Tran

• Hirundo Rustica
  • The Invisible Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2008, 08:45:10 AM »

I knew that was coming as soon as I realized I forgot to put that in the thread.  ^_^'

This is really just to bring my BF% down some and my energy levels up.  On the side, hopefully, it will help with my quality of sleep.  I'm not looking to gain muscle mass (which is why I'm starting to think this diet has a bit too much food in it), but maintain and improve muscle density.
Andy Tran, C.S.C.S.
Lead Parkour Instructor
Urban Evolution
Parkour Virginia

Offline Chris Salvato

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Eat. Move. Improve.
    • View Profile
    • Chris Salvato
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2008, 10:07:48 AM »

I knew that was coming as soon as I realized I forgot to put that in the thread.  ^_^'

This is really just to bring my BF% down some and my energy levels up.  On the side, hopefully, it will help with my quality of sleep.  I'm not looking to gain muscle mass (which is why I'm starting to think this diet has a bit too much food in it), but maintain and improve muscle density.

Definitely NOT too much food.  Barely any of your calories will come from carbs if you are relying on that quantity of vegetables.  Your BF% will surely shoot down if you maintain or increase activity levels with this diet...

Its definitely a good start.  As is usually the case there are some things you can improve to make the diet *ideal*.

The reason i stress *ideal* is because you NEED to plan your diet out to be ideal...that way when you stray from it, which you will (everyone does), you don't stray too far.  If your diet PLAN is not ideal to start then your diet in PRACTICE will be further from ideal.

Breakfast:
Normally consists of 2-4 eggs, either hardboiled or raw, a piece of fruit (normally a banana or a peach), and three spoonfulls of yogurt.

This is good.  Depends on the yogurt, but if it's plain yogurt then it should be fine.  If you plan on eating fruity yogurt, cut out the super-high-calorically-dense banana and replace it with more yogurt since there will be more than enough carb in a fruit-filled yogurt.

Personally, I prefer buying the plain yogurt and mixing in fruit and fruit juice, but thats up to you.

Snack: Roughly 2.5-3 hours later.  I will be snacking on about a cup of raw vegetables, a half-cup of nuts, and about two spoonfuls of yogurt.  I will try to vary this as much as possible, but that's the portions of carbs/protein/fatty-something that I'm going for.

More vegetables, less nuts.  If you are trying to cut BF% then that ratio of carb to nuts is off balance.  The nuts are going to provide something like 50-60% calories in this meal in that case.  You have no source of protein here.  Nuts are not protein.

Beef Jerky, pre-prepared refrigerated meat, lunch meat, eggs, etc. would be a good, quick protein source here.  If you are in a pinch, get a powder like Isopure and mix about 10g with water just for this snack.

Yogurt, again, depends.  If your yogurt is high in carb you may not need to add more veggies....but more veggies won't hurt here either - they rarely ever do.

Lunch: Roughly 2-3 hours later.  This will consist of two cups of two different vegetables, a protein/fat source such as natural peanut butter (roughly two tablespoons), or a lean meat like 3-4 slices of turkey, chicken.. or a grilled quail or whatnot.  If I am to have the lean meat, I will add two fish oil pills to the process.  Occasionally, I will make a sandwich with whole grain bread or whole grain pita, keeping in mind the no-more-than-twice-a-week rule.

Does this mean a total of 4 cups of veggies?  4 cups would be a great, hugely epic meal - and i would recommend it since most veggies are not calorically dense at all.  For example, one cup of broccoli is only 31 calories.  2 cups total will be too little for a major meal like lunch.  Depending on the veggie, you will need at least 3 cups.

Lean mean is good, but you will need more of it.  3-4 oz should cut it.

Add the fish oil REGARDLESS.  Take at least 2-3g of fish oil a day.  Thats when you just START seeing benefits from it.  I take 10g total, 5 in the AM and 5 in the PM.

Natural Peanut butter is not a source of protein.  It's a source of fat.  I also suggest switching up your nut butters every month or so (or whenever your jar runs out) between peanut, almond, cashew and macadamia nut butters.

Snack: Roughly 2-3 hours later (this would be right before I head home) A piece of fruit and an egg and fish oil pill, likely, or similar proportioned alternative.

Good. 

Can replace the fish oil with nuts here, as well. 

Only thing is the fruit:meat ratio.  Generally speaking, make it 2 eggs per 1 piece of fruit, too.  Fruit is usually pretty calorically dense, depending on the type....certain exceptions do apply, so you need to be more specific here.

Dinner: Roughly 2-3 hours later.  A larger protein source, two cups of two different vegetables, and either a fat source coupled with the protein (in the case of say.. a salmon fillet) or an independent fat source (an avacado or something) or two fish oil pills.

Once again, need more veggies.  Either that or top off the meal with a more calorically dense fruity dessert.

Be careful with how much avocado you eat if you are trying to lose weight.  One standard sized avocado contains over 300 calories, mostly from fat.  Thats awesome if you are trying to bulk up, but if you are losing weight, you need to consider this heavily.  I suggest making guacamole and eating only 1/4 of it at a time.

Snack:  Roughly two hours before bed.  This will be the lightest of all, consisting of a cup of vegetables and maybe an egg or a spoon of peanut butter or something.

Should be fine.  Like I said above, experiment with different nut butters to add variety.

The vegetables/fruits will be rotated as often as possible, giving myself as much of a variety as I can at different times of the day.  I will aim to never eat the same veggie/fruit source more than twice in one day, and not more than four times every three days.

Its common for people to not have more than 20 items in their "personal menu".  Don't get too bogged down by this notion of variety.  Keep it simple.  You won't get bored, I assure you.

And I will be drinking nothing but water during this process.

Good, Drink at least 2 Cups with every one of those meals.

------------
Some things i brushed on or feel should be added:
1) Fish oil.  Every Day.  At least 2-4 grams.  10g or more may be pushing it.  If you want to do that much, split it up during the day like I suggested above (5g in the AM, 5g in the PM).

2) Multi-vitamins.  Centrums are fine.  2 a day.  Any vitamins that you don't need will be excreted.  Always take multi-vitamins with an ample source of fat.

3) Monitor your weight 2x a week.  If possible, monitor your body fat and/or your waist size.  If you notice increases, cut the food volume.  I don't think this will happen.  If you notice losses, try to make sure they are MOSTLY BF% and not lean.  This, of course, will depend more on activity levels.

Good start.  I wish you luck.

Offline Andy Animus Tran

• Hirundo Rustica
  • The Invisible Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2008, 10:29:45 AM »
It's plain yogurt.  Sometimes, I'll dip the food into it and eat it at the same time. >_>..

Didn't know nuts didn't count as aprotein source.  Will have to juggle some things around.  And yes, that means four cups of veggies.

So I'm already noticing, according to this, that I need much more protein going on in my diet, so I'll make the necessary adjustments.  Thanks a ton.  I'll have to figure out more ways to get my protein in.
Andy Tran, C.S.C.S.
Lead Parkour Instructor
Urban Evolution
Parkour Virginia

Offline Chris Salvato

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Eat. Move. Improve.
    • View Profile
    • Chris Salvato
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2008, 10:47:53 AM »
Yes.  Protein, in significant quantities, in every meal.

Meat, Eggs and Milk are good sources.

Offline Andy Animus Tran

• Hirundo Rustica
  • The Invisible Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2008, 11:12:57 AM »
Lactose intolerant, so milk's not gonna fly so well for me.
Andy Tran, C.S.C.S.
Lead Parkour Instructor
Urban Evolution
Parkour Virginia

Offline Steve Low

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Eat, Move, Improve
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2008, 07:35:01 PM »
Lactose intolerant, so milk's not gonna fly so well for me.
Meat and eggs baby.
Posts NOT medical, training or nutrition advice
Site // Overcoming Gravity Book

Offline Andy Animus Tran

• Hirundo Rustica
  • The Invisible Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2008, 08:28:34 AM »
Meat and eggs baby.

Yeah, I'm getting like.. 3-6 raw eggs a day right now.  Particularly since meat isn't available at all hours.
Andy Tran, C.S.C.S.
Lead Parkour Instructor
Urban Evolution
Parkour Virginia

Offline Chris Salvato

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Eat. Move. Improve.
    • View Profile
    • Chris Salvato
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2008, 08:56:08 AM »
Meat and eggs baby.

Yeah, I'm getting like.. 3-6 raw eggs a day right now.  Particularly since meat isn't available at all hours.

Its not?  Why not?

Deli meat is always ready.  Doesn't need to be eaten at just lunch.

Canned tuna is always ready.  So is canned/bagged salmon and cod.

Sardines are always ready.

Beef jerky is always ready.  Get a dehydrator and make your own jerky if that appeals to you.

You can prepare 2x as much meat at meal time (chicken, beef, whatever) and put it in the fridge for later.

Tyson brand chicken has chicken that comes ready in a bag with only a bit of preservatives -- good if you're in a pinch.  Protein powders are good if you're in a pinch, too.

3-6 raw eggs isn't enough protein to get you through the day - especially if you're an athlete.

Offline Andy Animus Tran

• Hirundo Rustica
  • The Invisible Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2008, 09:04:56 AM »
No, I mean, the eggs're there for the snacks..  Getting meat for lunch/dinner.  I've never had sardines.. guess now's the time to try it.
Andy Tran, C.S.C.S.
Lead Parkour Instructor
Urban Evolution
Parkour Virginia

Offline Andy Animus Tran

• Hirundo Rustica
  • The Invisible Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2008, 06:41:29 AM »
Week one's nearly complete.

This was tough.  Some days, I'd be full of energy, and other days, I'd be tired and mopey and feeling like I was constantly starving.  Unfortunately, over the weekend, I only managed one or two meals each day, so that's problematic.

Will keep going.
Andy Tran, C.S.C.S.
Lead Parkour Instructor
Urban Evolution
Parkour Virginia

Offline Alissa J. Bratz

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • wisconsinparkour.com
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2008, 06:49:31 AM »
If you are feeling tired and mopey, or like you're starving, it could be either because you truly aren't eating enough (in which case, eat more, obviously) :) or because you're reducing your carb intake from what you're used to, and there is a sort of "withdrawal" period that takes a week or two. But if the hunger feeling is genuine hunger, you should eat more, to satiety. You may also want to see about nudging up your fats a bit (put some avocado on your sandwich, or eat a few olives, for instance) with each meal, to feel sated.

www.madisonparkour.com

Offline Andy Animus Tran

• Hirundo Rustica
  • The Invisible Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2008, 07:23:08 AM »
I figured it was the carb thing, especially since I was having a lot of cravings for chocolates and sweets.  So I tried to increase my carb intake through vegetables... but I just can't eat that fast!  Carrots and veggies take time to chew.  :(
Andy Tran, C.S.C.S.
Lead Parkour Instructor
Urban Evolution
Parkour Virginia

Offline Patrick Yang

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Outrunner
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2008, 08:49:01 AM »
So I tried to increase my carb intake through vegetables... but I just can't eat that fast!  Carrots and veggies take time to chew.  :(

Gods, yes.  I'm getting the same thing.  I have a voracious appetite and pretty much a matching metabolism, and I just can't eat vegetables enough to feel sated.  By the time I get done eating all those carrots and broccoli, it feels like my stomach has already been emptied of half its contents.  Eating too much in way of fats will sometimes make me feel queasy as well.  I end up either cheating with rice, noodles, or somesuch; or eating calorically dense, higher-GI fruits.
Training log.
Train hard, eat smart, and act with honor.

Offline Chris Salvato

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Eat. Move. Improve.
    • View Profile
    • Chris Salvato
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2008, 01:15:07 PM »
So I tried to increase my carb intake through vegetables... but I just can't eat that fast!  Carrots and veggies take time to chew.  :(

Gods, yes.  I'm getting the same thing.  I have a voracious appetite and pretty much a matching metabolism, and I just can't eat vegetables enough to feel sated.  By the time I get done eating all those carrots and broccoli, it feels like my stomach has already been emptied of half its contents.  Eating too much in way of fats will sometimes make me feel queasy as well.  I end up either cheating with rice, noodles, or somesuch; or eating calorically dense, higher-GI fruits.

How much meat are you eating?  How much fat?

You are going to need to supplement the extremely high fiber foods like carrots and broccoli with foods that are more calorically dense like fats. 

If you are consuming your carbs in balance (which you likely are since you are consuming such high volumes of high fiber vegetables), then you can add the higher GI carbs without much of a worry.  The high fiber mixed with fat and protein will act as a buffer between the high GI carbs and your blood stream therefore effectively lowering the rate of absorption.

Offline KC Parsons

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Eat. Move. Improve.
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2008, 06:32:56 PM »
Meat and eggs baby.

Its not?  Why not?

Deli meat is always ready.  Doesn't need to be eaten at just lunch.

Canned tuna is always ready.  So is canned/bagged salmon and cod.

Sardines are always ready.

Beef jerky is always ready.  Get a dehydrator and make your own jerky if that appeals to you.
I've done this with my brother before. It was actually pretty fun, I'd recommend it.

You can prepare 2x as much meat at meal time (chicken, beef, whatever) and put it in the fridge for later.

Tyson brand chicken has chicken that comes ready in a bag with only a bit of preservatives -- good if you're in a pinch.  Protein powders are good if you're in a pinch, too.

3-6 raw eggs isn't enough protein to get you through the day - especially if you're an athlete.

Offline Alissa J. Bratz

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • wisconsinparkour.com
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2008, 06:54:17 PM »
Steaming the vegetables will make them easier to chew. :) Just don't overcook them. I think, though, that your best bet is to increase your fat intake by a little bit when you have these cravings. Nuts, olives, avocado are good bets. Even a bit of dark chocolate, if you're really hungry for something sweet. Anything over 65% cocoa is good.

www.madisonparkour.com

Offline Andy Animus Tran

• Hirundo Rustica
  • The Invisible Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2008, 04:21:12 AM »
Steaming the vegetables will make them easier to chew. :) Just don't overcook them. I think, though, that your best bet is to increase your fat intake by a little bit when you have these cravings. Nuts, olives, avocado are good bets. Even a bit of dark chocolate, if you're really hungry for something sweet. Anything over 65% cocoa is good.

I try to find 90%, but it's rare.  A friend told me he tried 100% once (edible chocolate, not baking chocolate), and he said it was disgusting...  but I'm curious to find out how it tastes.
Andy Tran, C.S.C.S.
Lead Parkour Instructor
Urban Evolution
Parkour Virginia