Author Topic: Am I the only failure without running shoes?  (Read 4491 times)

Offline Dr. Unoriginal

• Guenons
    • View Profile
Am I the only failure without running shoes?
« on: August 05, 2008, 09:10:17 AM »
It's debatable whether or not a good pair of running shoes have a significant impact on your safety or abilities . All my friends moved on and train in expensive running shoes while I'm still rocking my cheap-o skate shoes.

I'm seriously expecting to be one of the few that aren't wearing actual running shoes at the jam. Last jam I was at, I got lectured on the dangers of wearing skate shoes to freerun.

Is it really a safety concern? I've never had any problems so far. The arguement usually is the lack of grip or how lose skate shoes typically are.

Offline Chris Salvato

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Eat. Move. Improve.
    • View Profile
    • Chris Salvato
Re: Am I the only failure without running shoes?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2008, 09:15:26 AM »
It's debatable whether or not a good pair of running shoes have a significant impact on your safety or abilities . All my friends moved on and train in expensive running shoes while I'm still rocking my cheap-o skate shoes.

I'm seriously expecting to be one of the few that aren't wearing actual running shoes at the jam. Last jam I was at, I got lectured on the dangers of wearing skate shoes to freerun.

Is it really a safety concern? I've never had any problems so far. The arguement usually is the lack of grip or how lose skate shoes typically are.

You don't need "running shoes" but your skate shoes are an awful choice.

Skate shoes provide almost no support and will move under your foot.

This sport is about control.  Get a pair of well fitting running shoes, freerunning shoes, crosstrainers or even basketball shoes would be better.  Skates shoes have to go but no "special shoe: is necessary.

Hell, go barefoot, its cheaper.

Offline Dr. Unoriginal

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2008, 09:20:38 AM »

This sport is about control.  Get a pair of well fitting running shoes, freerunning shoes, crosstrainers or even basketball shoes would be better.  Skates shoes have to go but no "special shoe: is necessary.

Given my style of freerunning I've always seemed to manage, I like the solid, flat base that skate shoes have.
I really don't understand our post though, how would going barefoot every be a logical solution? I've met people that do PK barefoot and they're always at an extreme disadvantage.

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2008, 11:17:30 AM »
I've trained in just about everything - barefoot, slippers, dress shoes, snorkel fins... what you wear will affect how you move. If your shoe is slipping on your foot, you're losing power and control with every step. As for grip, even the 5.10 Savant has surfaces it doesn't grip very well.

Do yourself a favor - at least find a friend who has some decent shoes your size. Try them out - see what a difference they make.

Running barefoot is like running naked. It's "free" and "natural". As soon as you hit some thorns it reminds you why clothes [and shoes] were invented.  ;D

Offline Chris Salvato

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Eat. Move. Improve.
    • View Profile
    • Chris Salvato
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2008, 11:31:40 AM »

Given my style of freerunning I've always seemed to manage, I like the solid, flat base that skate shoes have.
I really don't understand our post though, how would going barefoot every be a logical solution? I've met people that do PK barefoot and they're always at an extreme disadvantage.

Skate shoes provide almost no support.  There are several better shoes that are made with flat bases (Kirovs, 5.10 Freerunners, Ariakes, etc) that have a flat base and support the ankle while being lightweight.

As for barefoot - the benefits come after prolonged training.  The grip is unsurpassed by any shoe and you have an unparalleled level of control.

Watch some of the british traceurs, particularly Teghead.  They may sway u a bit that barefoot isnt a bad option at all.

Offline Bryan Petersen

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2008, 04:02:33 PM »
I'm just about to get a pair of ariakes they are only $4o on footlocker.com. take a look :P
Parkour has opened my senses, the world is mine.

Offline uNCLEsAM098

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2008, 05:46:23 PM »
Barefeet makes sense that it can be the best over time, but it probably hurts like crazy getting them tough enough to take any surface, and probably takes forever.

Personally, I'd love to toughen my feet up rather than buy certain shoes, but it just doesn't seem practical right now.
"I like quoting myself. It makes me feel... important and dignified." -Myself

Offline blachawk

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2008, 01:08:48 AM »
i still use my skate shoes whenever im just going around(only because i wear them everywhere) but other than that i just go barefoot...imo, much better AND you don't have anything weighing your feet down..cept for that damn gravity!!

ps: it didnt take me that long to toughen the soles of my feet up, just a day or two of training barefoot, barefoot hiking helps also.

Offline Jake Smith

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2008, 10:32:20 AM »
I just wrap my feet in athletic tape.  I haven't even touched a shoe in years.
I have to return some videotapes.

Offline Christian Greene

• Awesomely Epic
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • APEX Movement Team
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2008, 03:27:44 PM »
I wore my new skate shoes for the first time today and they had AMAZING grip on rails, it was almost like entering a cheat for videogames >.<

Offline iown

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2009, 04:02:59 PM »
Barefeet makes sense that it can be the best over time, but it probably hurts like crazy getting them tough enough to take any surface, and probably takes forever.

Personally, I'd love to toughen my feet up rather than buy certain shoes, but it just doesn't seem practical right now.
hey check these shoes out then http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/