Author Topic: american parkour  (Read 4661 times)

Offline klaymen

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
american parkour
« on: March 23, 2006, 02:27:27 PM »
i did a search on google for: "parkour america" to see if this page showed up first. instead, in first place was this disgusting article:

http://www.airmassive.com/amblog_040204_1.html

what are your thoughts on this?

Offline The Fallen

• Patas
  • We ain't got no meatballs!
    • View Profile
Re: american parkour
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2006, 02:52:49 PM »
wow.  :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X

Ok no more quietness. Who ever wrote that article may or may not of taken the time to go and follow some runners in new york we dont know. If he did i would hope the people theyre tryed to explain to him what parkour was. And it looks like they did and he portrayed it well. The information was good. but the overall attitude of the article sucked. But hey hes in new york and hes one person..........you know what...im gonna go cry and moan for about an hour or two instead of going out and training like i should be!  :P

haha good find klay. Training time!
Animals should not try to act like Humans, But if i want to act like a dolphin who's gonna F%$^&ing stop me?

Offline urbanparkourdude

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
    • Urban parkour
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2006, 06:16:20 AM »
Its stuipied what the media write about Parkour sometimes, I mean on  Channel 4 website there is a good article about Jump Britain and that is an article which every one can remember.

High-speed travel

Forget tubes, trains and cars, packed pavements, the congestion charge and crowded platforms. What if you could take the high road across London - leaping between buildings, jumping over rooftops, letting nothing get in your way?

Meet the Parkouristes, a team of French Free Runners who do just that. Like fictional superheroes, the group perform death-defying, eyeball-popping, stomach-churning stunts as they literally leap from rooftop to rooftop across the city.

Watch them somersaulting, vaulting and tumbling in a thrilling journey across London, using some of the city's most famous landmarks as their stepping stones.

This explains the whole idea of Parkour.

upk.proboards2.com

Offline Mark Toorock

• M2
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • American Parkour
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2006, 07:04:34 AM »
You're joking, right???
Be Useful.
If I don't try to make the world a better place, who will?
Every person has a choice - live by your fears or live by your dreams

Offline Andy Animus Tran

• Hirundo Rustica
  • The Invisible Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2006, 08:40:38 AM »
I think only one part of it described Parkour and that was the line, "letting nothing get in your way."  Even so, I think that description is pretty weak.
Andy Tran, C.S.C.S.
Lead Parkour Instructor
Urban Evolution
Parkour Virginia

Offline The Manilla Gorilla

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Banana Boat?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2006, 09:21:08 AM »
"For her story, Bahney hung out with a couple of infant freerunning "gangs" in town from the New York City suburbs. The reporter tagged along with them as they explored the parkour potential of Manhhattan's urban jungle-gym, from Grand Central Station down to Wall Street. One of the gangs Bahney followed is called the Gravity Pac, the other the Street Ninjas."

I think i'll submit a Movie to the MOTM, that will represent us NY traceurs as well as this paragraph did. I'll call it.... Gangs of New york.... Its taken?! Damn you DiCaprio!!!!
« Last Edit: April 03, 2006, 09:26:09 AM by The Manilla Gorilla »

Offline Leap Frog

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2006, 07:38:34 PM »
That was a pretty ugly article. on one hand, itd be good for the press to keep out of parkour because rarely will you get a reporter who does a good job explaining, at least in the articles ive read, on the otherhand, its good to get word out and get some new people in...so it seems ive hit a stand still
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to...I guess

Offline Mike "Pyro" Araujo

• Mangabey
  • Pyro4pk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2006, 09:05:36 PM »
Here in Ne tork we don't even go to Grand Central Station. I have seen it before and it never gets an easier to look at.

psycosis12

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2006, 11:47:37 PM »
wow i couldn't believe how many things offended me in the first 2 paragraphs......

Offline Sat Santokh

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Don't think with your balls, think with your brain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2006, 03:17:27 AM »
Le Bob is how the reporter signed off.  I'm going to go castrate a small furry animal to take out my anger and disgust

Offline Olloth Kenson

• Guenons
  • 1:52 away from Hell says mapquest
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2006, 06:34:58 AM »
The article for port huron was actually mostly true, except she said sport once. (But I think that's because I caught some of the people she was talking to saying it. Maybe not.) This, however, is one big steaming pile of turd. With sprinkles.
Tricks aren't parkour but I'm not always faithful.

psycosis12

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2006, 07:19:22 AM »
yes the sprnikles really bring it together ::)

Offline Flippusmn

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Flippusmn??? ask me then!
    • View Profile
    • http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/OHParkour/
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2006, 11:50:04 AM »
These are the kind of things we all try to prevent yet despite our efforts they still occure. No matter, we will continue to show the world what Parkour is truly about. This is just another obsticle we will overthrone as traceurs. I have jumped over many steeming steeming piles of turds and have thought much of nothing about it.

Sept. eww ::) ;)
Parkour can make you or break you, each of which I have experienced. ~Feel the Flow~ "Don't think with your balls, think with your brain." -Houston

Offline Alex \"Ace\" Scott

• Patas
  • The big Hair-eded one!!
    • View Profile
    • Pk Cali
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2006, 04:41:31 PM »
Anyone else notice that this article is from 2004, before accurate Parkour information was well known about and thus, before any good articles on Parkour existed?
-Tell me how you MOVE, and I'll tell you who you ARE-

"For every newbie that says Parkour is what you want it to be- God kills a Kitten." -Ruzkin

-www.PkCali.com-

Offline Flippusmn

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Flippusmn??? ask me then!
    • View Profile
    • http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/OHParkour/
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2006, 06:41:25 PM »
All that info was available other places the same as here, even on the internet.  :-\ ???
Parkour can make you or break you, each of which I have experienced. ~Feel the Flow~ "Don't think with your balls, think with your brain." -Houston

Offline gmpianoman

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2006, 05:31:01 PM »
Actually, it really wasn't.  There really wasn't a solid definition of parkour pre-2004, and a lot of people had misconsceptions as to what parkour really was.(I guess they still do :()

Offline Mark Toorock

• M2
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • American Parkour
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2006, 07:29:17 AM »
Well, in response to the first article, I'm happy to say that www.americanparkour.com has finally ousted that "steeming pile" (as it has been called) and is now the first thing that comes up in the aforementioned Google search ... try it yourself ...

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=parkour+america

« Last Edit: May 14, 2006, 04:29:26 PM by M2 »
Be Useful.
If I don't try to make the world a better place, who will?
Every person has a choice - live by your fears or live by your dreams

Offline Unique

• Mangabey
  • D'Ondrai Jones
    • View Profile
    • youtube
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2006, 01:37:30 PM »
F#@#$@!$#@^$^$%^(*$#@%^%^$#%^^. Ok now that thats out she/he should have researched more and focus on the more ground level technique instead of going straight to the roof tops. She/he made it seem as if we dont train to get to that level and set a bad example for the people wanting to start parkour after reading that article.
- “Don't wait for life to beat you. Move life to your own beat.” http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqXiSaVGnLI

Offline ERI1044

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2006, 03:06:45 PM »
AHHHHH!!!! i nearly had a seziure from all the misconseptions found in this article!!!!

okay...i barely got past the second paragraph and i can't take it anymore! i really can't! ahhh!! i'm going to do something less painful and put paint thiner on my eyes to remove those images.
breathing isn't parkour!! HA, YOU CAN'T BREATH!

Offline Johnny Boy

• Hirundo Rustica
  • DCPK
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2006, 04:25:51 PM »
Well, I don't know about americanparkour :D, but im glad APK is getting some recognition.
life is too short, so love the one you got
-Sublime