Author Topic: Ahnu "Bodega" Shoe: Review  (Read 4273 times)

Offline Alissa J. Bratz

• Hirundo Rustica
  • middle-aged man in mom's basement eating Fritos
    • View Profile
    • wisconsinparkour.com
Ahnu "Bodega" Shoe: Review
« on: July 21, 2008, 05:37:08 PM »
While looking at the Vibram Fivefingers at a local paddle sports shop, I found a shoe made by Ahnu called the "Bodega." They looked viable for parkour: light, relatively flexible, and with good cushioning and traction. For me personally, flexibility is very important in a shoe, and so far I haven't found any for parkour that are flexible enough except for a pair of cheap-o sneakers I found at Target. The Target shoes, however, have very little cushioning (not that I take drops ever), and the fit isn't the best.

While looking at these shoes it occurred to me that it might be worthwhile to explore water shoes as possible options. They have to have a lot of flexibility and traction, as well as a good fit, to be safe while walking on river rocks. Most water shoes are either socklike slip-ons, without a lot of cushioning, or are sandals which would not be good for what we do. However the Ahnu Bodegas were more of a sneaker style. I tried them on and figured I'd experiment with them for parkour and see how they worked out.

Here is my initial "first impression":

Fit: 8/10
The fit is good. The lacing system enables you to adjust the tightness to the contours of your foot. It has lots of room for a high arch which is good for me. They are a little too high and stiff in the back which kind of irks my Achilles tendon but I am thinking this will wear in over time (at least I hope so). They are also a tad too narrow for me in the forefoot but I'm hoping that with the adjustable lacing system I will be able to find something that works.

The fit was not perfect but I'm hoping that with wear they will form to my foot and gait nicely.

Best part: their women's shoe looks like it was actually designed for a woman's foot, as opposed to just being a smaller version of the men's shoe.

Breathability: 9/10
This is a plus for these shoes. They are designed for use in the water which means they are designed to drain and dry quickly. My feet did get kind of hot but I think this had more to do with the fact that I bought them in black. When it got breezy I could feel the air circulating around my foot so that was nice.

Cushioning: 8/10
The cushioning in the heel was great; better than my Target shoes but not as thick/stiff as my 5.10 Savants. The cushioning in the forefoot was really nice. Thin enough to allow for a good feel, but still sufficient for landings. I am a bit concerned that the heel cushioning might be too thick, but it has a lot more "give" than with other shoes so it feels very nice and I don't feel so separated from the ground.

Flexibility: 8.5/10
This was great, especially in the forefoot. The heel cup is way more restrictive than I prefer but I am waiting to see if this will wear over time. My heel felt nicely supported/stabilized, but it also felt sort of "locked in". I tried taking out the insole, but this altered the fit substantially and made the shoe way too big to be safe. The outsole was a bit stiff along the metatarsal, but with some twisting I was able to get it to flex a little more, so I'm guessing they will wear in nicely.

Grip: 9/10
Better than my Target sneaks, not as good as my 5.10s. The soles are non-marking and are designed well for gripping. Wall runs and cats felt nice and grippy on most surfaces. On some smoother walls they slipped a bit, but no more than my cheap-o Target shoes, and nothing I can't beat with better technique. :) I really liked that I left no marks. Sometimes they feel like they would be slippery on metal/rails (didn't have a chance to try this), but I suspect that since they were designed for water use, that they will be pretty okay in wet conditions/rain.

The salesperson told me that the soles were designed to keep from sticking in the mud, which made me concerned about slippage, but she clarified that they were shaped to prevent mud from sticking, not that they were designed to repel mud/dirt. There is a nice little concave divot right at the metatarsal, that looks really great for precisions and also looks like it could provide a teeny bit of a "suction cup" type action on surfaces. I'll have to check this out in more detail later.

The only bad news is, it looks like Ahnu is discontinuing the Bodega. Their newer models look like they are going more the sandal route, and the hiker route; neither of which really work (for me) for parkour.

I paid about $50 for mine but they were on sale (likely because they are being discontinued); normal retail was $80-90.

Verdict: worth checking out, has potential.
She followed slowly, taking a long time,
as though there were some obstacle in the way;
and yet: as though, once it was overcome,
she would be beyond all walking, and would fly.
--excerpt from Going Blind, Rainer Maria Rilke

www.madisonparkour.com

Offline Sat Santokh

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Don't think with your balls, think with your brain
    • View Profile
Re: Ahnu "Bodega" Shoe: Review
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2008, 09:40:18 AM »
haha yeah I had this same idea a little while ago, granted I didn't go nearly as in depth as you.

http://www.americanparkour.com/smf/index.php?topic=10688.0

Offline Zachary Cohn

• APK Alliance
  • Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • I do cool stuff.
    • View Profile
    • ZacCohn.com
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2008, 10:02:01 AM »
Was this the shoe we were looking at when I came up?

Offline Alissa J. Bratz

• Hirundo Rustica
  • middle-aged man in mom's basement eating Fritos
    • View Profile
    • wisconsinparkour.com
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2008, 10:31:19 AM »
Doh! Jut goes to show, I need to use the search function! :)

Yes, Zac, these are the same shoes I looked at before when you tried on the Five Fingers. So far, so good; but I need to do more testing. I'll post updates as time goes on.
She followed slowly, taking a long time,
as though there were some obstacle in the way;
and yet: as though, once it was overcome,
she would be beyond all walking, and would fly.
--excerpt from Going Blind, Rainer Maria Rilke

www.madisonparkour.com

Offline ErictheWindow

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2008, 09:49:01 AM »
I recommend Mion shoes, specifically four models: Fast Canyon, Warm Canyon, Flood Tide, Tide Scramble.

The Flood Tide is the most breathable, the Tide Scramble is most stable. All of the shoes have solid cushioning, are stable and very grippy. Last season's models are discontinued but can still be found through google at a few places including ebay at steep discounts. Most as a rule buy Mions in a size smaller than you'd normally buy.

Offline Marmog

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2019, 06:58:03 PM »
????????! ?????? ??? ! ???????? ??? ????? ??? 7721782188??????  ???????????? ???????? ????? ??????????????????!

??????? ?? ??????????? ? ??? ????????! — ??? ??????????? ??? ?????????, ??? ? ???!

????? ????????????-«???????????????????????? ??? ????? ??? 7721782188 , ??? ?????????? ???????? ?????????????? ???????,
? ????? ?????? ??? ???????? ??????? ?? ???????? ???. ??????? ?????????????? ??????????.

?? ????? ????????? ???? ??????????, ????????? ?? ??, ? ? ????? ?????? ?? 66 ????????? ??????. ??????????? ?????? ?? ??????.

?? ?????? ? ???? ????, ???? ?????? ????????? ???? ??????!

Offline Roseannbef

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
Ahnu "Bodega" Shoe Review
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2019, 02:50:30 PM »
Once again, an excellent and very informative review by Mr. Panda.  This thread needs to be a sticky  It just so happens that I am in the market for shoes and insoles, so this review is also very timely  Like david07, I also am wondering what you're working on next.  Would love to see a review on shuttlecocks.  It's the one big review that is missing on this forum and one that I am sure everyone would love to see.  Dink, do you still stand by your previous comment that the Super Feet Blue because of its sharp heel edge may cut into the bottom of the shoe?  I was planning to get a pair of expensive SHB-99-LE and would hate to see them deteriorate prematurely.