Author Topic: 10-15 foot Drops....  (Read 48934 times)

Offline Samuel96

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Bear hunter-3rd in command
    • View Profile
Re: 10-15 foot Drops....
« Reply #40 on: August 26, 2008, 08:48:49 AM »
ok i get THAT...that it will but come on 6ft that is too little

...It's really not.  A three foot drop generates 600lbs of force onto the legs with perfect landing, and over double that with sloppy technique.  Performed poorly, that goes straight into your knees.  And I have to ask, anyhow, can you squat 600lbs?  Sorry, but I wouldn't recommend anything higher than waist height for the first two years of training.

Um I'm sorry but where are you getting that information from?  Ryan and I have used force plates in the biomechanics lab here at the University of Colorado and with proper landing technique you can easily drop the amount of force to much less than 600.  I'm sorry I don't remember exactly how much it was but for me it was closer to 125 or so (I weigh 145)  Every traceur we brought in there could pretty much get their force to be under 1 g.
Yeah... I knew he wasn't right but I don't know the formula. What is the formula?

Offline Andy Animus Tran

• Hirundo Rustica
  • The Invisible Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 26, 2008, 10:02:25 AM »
Um I'm sorry but where are you getting that information from?  Ryan and I have used force plates in the biomechanics lab here at the University of Colorado and with proper landing technique you can easily drop the amount of force to much less than 600.  I'm sorry I don't remember exactly how much it was but for me it was closer to 125 or so (I weigh 145)  Every traceur we brought in there could pretty much get their force to be under 1 g.

Sat, that was pulled from the experiment Dan did in Toronto with force plates that inspired Ryan's more complete experiments.  Since it's been at least a year since I've seen that post, I could be mixing up the numbers and the 600lbs could be with improper technique.

It could've been around 400lbs for proper technique, and that'd be a total count, not an extra count (which is what I assume your 125 is)..  So with a 200lb person (which Dan is around), slightly under an extra 200 would be close to 400lbs.

The point is that the generated force is rather massive.

Sam, what formula are you talking about...?  The technique is going to completely alter the measurements, which means any formula is dependent on musculature and a bit of randomness (i.e. impossible to create a proper formula unless you  have human robots who can do the EXACT same landing every time).  If you're just talking about gravity, we accelerate at 9.8 meters per second per second.
Andy Tran, C.S.C.S.
Lead Parkour Instructor
Urban Evolution
Parkour Virginia

Offline Vinny Pellegrini

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 26, 2008, 10:09:21 AM »
i guarantee you its not 15 feet high. without even looking at it. people have NO concept of how high things are. 15 feet is WAY higher then you think it is. and for taking huge drops, its not about technique or stregnth its mainly about conditioning,  you have to work up to it. you cant just one day "get 15 foot drops"

and any idiot can jump off of something. now it take a real traecur to actually land.
the floor is lavA!

Offline Vinny Pellegrini

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 26, 2008, 10:21:35 AM »
and that 3 feet 600 pounds stuff isn't accurate. the factors that contribute to a number like that are all over the board. how much you weigh being the biggest issue. and how your landing technique is. cause people reach for the ground and apply force as there body gets closer. but to just say EVERYBODY who jumps from 3 feet will generate 600 pounds of force upon impact... now thats just silly...
the floor is lavA!

Offline Andy Animus Tran

• Hirundo Rustica
  • The Invisible Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 26, 2008, 12:08:58 PM »
and that 3 feet 600 pounds stuff isn't accurate. the factors that contribute to a number like that are all over the board. how much you weigh being the biggest issue. and how your landing technique is. cause people reach for the ground and apply force as there body gets closer. but to just say EVERYBODY who jumps from 3 feet will generate 600 pounds of force upon impact... now thats just silly...

Hush you.  Scare tactics are more effective.

At absolute best, you're going to generate .75 times your bodyweight extra..  At worst, probably a little under triple.  At three feet, that is.
Andy Tran, C.S.C.S.
Lead Parkour Instructor
Urban Evolution
Parkour Virginia

Offline Vinny Pellegrini

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 26, 2008, 01:03:57 PM »
hehehe. your right.  id rather scare them into just avoiding the big drops all together. well, until there ready
the floor is lavA!

Offline Matthew Wang

• Total Awesome
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • July 1st, 2008 - My first day of training
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 26, 2008, 01:33:41 PM »
Guys i don't mean to sound careless, but this is getting waaay too detailed. "don't jump off things more than 3 feet" or "6 feet should be max" or even "...600 pounds is a lot...". It not about what you WANT to jump off. It's what you think you will NEED to jump off. If you think you shouldn't do more than 3 feet for your first year of training, so be it. If you think you can do any height as long as you practice LOTS and LOTS and develope the proper techniques to keep yourself safe, that's ok too.

Whatever you do just remember that you MAY HAVE TO JUMP FROM A HIGH HEIGHT. Or you might not. If you believe that slow and steady wins the race then train slow and smartly. If you think you need to be able to drop from extreme heights then go ahead. If you kill yourself that's your fault. But if you train smartly and hard you should be ok.
http://www.washingtonparkour.com/
Need something Washington Parkour related?
matt@washingtonparkour.com
washington@americanparkour.com
10 PUSH UPS OR 5 PULL UPS PER POST

Offline hardcoretraceur

• PRIVATE
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • a coeur vaillant rien d'impossible
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 26, 2008, 02:01:54 PM »
train smartly? how many 13 year olds know a damn thing about the integrity of their body.

train for life, don't do anything that isn't making you stronger.
keep it free and true

Over
Under       OUTkrew is OUTgoing
Through

Offline Dalton A

• Guenons
  • Call me Dalton, D, or Tage
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 26, 2008, 04:26:30 PM »
train smartly? how many 13 year olds know a damn thing about the integrity of their body.

train for life, don't do anything that isn't making you stronger.
Amen to that. 

And triggahappy, even ignoring the fact that almost no 13 year old (who are pretty much the only people who would do this stuff) would know enough about their body integrity, it still doesn't give them a reason.  For example, I study martial arts, and I MIGHT have to kill somebody someday in defense.  But that doesn't mean I go out and kill people just because I might have to.  I know I can, because as Animus put it, I've conditioned for it SAFELY.

And wow, that sounded awfully conceited of me with the killing part.  :-[  I apologize.  That was just the best example I could think of.

Offline joekk

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 26, 2008, 04:35:12 PM »
thx bio birrd...tha is not right you have to jump off of like a 2 story building to get that much weight...

Offline Matthew Wang

• Total Awesome
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • July 1st, 2008 - My first day of training
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 26, 2008, 05:18:07 PM »
I just said train smartly, which means safely, which means it SHOULD make you stronger and better overall. But look at it how you want, the 13 year olds who die from not training smartly...well that's their fault.
http://www.washingtonparkour.com/
Need something Washington Parkour related?
matt@washingtonparkour.com
washington@americanparkour.com
10 PUSH UPS OR 5 PULL UPS PER POST

Offline Jereme Sanders

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • American Parkour
« Reply #51 on: August 28, 2008, 08:39:58 AM »
I just said train smartly, which means safely, which means it SHOULD make you stronger and better overall. But look at it how you want, the 13 year olds who die from not training smartly...well that's their fault.

It's the Parkour Communities fault as a whole for not helping that kid sooner actually, because whether we take responsibility or not Parkour would be held accountable, not the kid, not the parents, not the fall, Parkour would be responsible. Which is exactly the kind of publicity we DON'T need, which is why we try and keep new people from doing big drops, solely for the fact that yes is does do some damage no matter how strong or good your technique is and yes there is a higher chance of injury. Parkour is very new in America and its up to all of us to keep spreading it in a good light, things like 13 year olds jumping off of high things, even if they don't injury themselves, training for "weeks" or whatever to do the jump (which everyone should know is nowhere near enough time) , just gives people the wrong idea about what we do all together. Whether we like it our not its our responsibility to spread Parkour, while we may not think much about it our actions can and will have definite repercussions for our future and future generations.

Keep Training Safely
"People may forget what you've done, or said, but they will never forget the way you made them feel."

The Best part of Falling Down is Getting Back Up...

Offline Patrick Yang

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Outrunner
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 28, 2008, 10:11:37 AM »
It's the Parkour Communities fault as a whole for not helping that kid sooner actually, because whether we take responsibility or not Parkour would be held accountable, not the kid, not the parents, not the fall, Parkour would be responsible. Which is exactly the kind of publicity we DON'T need, which is why we try and keep new people from doing big drops, solely for the fact that yes is does do some damage no matter how strong or good your technique is and yes there is a higher chance of injury. Parkour is very new in America and its up to all of us to keep spreading it in a good light, things like 13 year olds jumping off of high things, even if they don't injury themselves, training for "weeks" or whatever to do the jump (which everyone should know is nowhere near enough time) , just gives people the wrong idea about what we do all together. Whether we like it our not its our responsibility to spread Parkour, while we may not think much about it our actions can and will have definite repercussions for our future and future generations.

Agreed.  It's not only a disservice to the parkour community and an individual practitioner to advocate practicing jumps above his conditioning level, but it's also a disservice to all future students of the discipline.  The myth that jumping off roofs is cool and safe after a few weeks of training is prevalent among those just discovering the art of movement.  It is part of the culture, due to action movies and the overhyping media.  But the biggest problem is that there is a large library of videos of people calling themselves traceurs and free runners doing just that: jumping off of things far too high, far too early.  (And with bad form!)

The mindset perpetuates the culture; the culture perpetuates the mindset.  This is why every person who says it's okay to jump off of high things early in his career, every video that shows some 13 year old kid leaping from his roof to chronic knee discomfort, every instance where we hold our tongues and hope they learn for themselves adds to our troubles in the future.  Every kid we allow others to watch jumping off buildings will help ingrain into the minds of the public and newcomers that this is okay to do.  And the public and newcomers is where our voice is heard the least, where they don't have the luxury of 40,757 practitioners (as of this writing) yelling at them not to do this kind of thing.  It's our responsibility to correct this error in parkour culture now, before it gets even more out of hand.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2008, 10:59:09 AM by Patrick Yang »
Training log.
Train hard, eat smart, and act with honor.

Offline Sam Zytka

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 28, 2008, 01:29:16 PM »
in my community everyone really knows about parkour and im the only one who trains it, but it is so annoying because like ive heard kids yell, "dude look at me im doing parkour" towards me and then they jump off like an 8 foot roof and roll around as if they are on fire.  I always just yell back "look im not destroying my knees" and keep walking

Offline Spencer B

• the Romantic
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • ...*BANG*...
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 29, 2008, 04:35:39 PM »
I have taken a 14 fall onto unpadded gymnasium floor, and a 15 foot fall off of my roof onto grass. The last time I did either of these was several months ago and I don't plan to do them again, EVER. I didn't hurt myself, luckily, but the fear that I could was there and looking back I feel like an idiot for taking such high drops because I could have hurt myself very easily. Since then I have confined myself to what I am comfortable with barefoot, as someone said earlier, minus some height which means drops no higher than five feet onto any surface, which is RARE. Point is dropping isn't fun. It looks cool, but it doesn't feel cool, and more than likely you will want to avoid big drops like that in the future.

Try this as an alternative: Practice vaults, flow, and rolling constantly, and if you're comfortable with it some more avanced stuff, then go out and just run. Don't stop, just...flow. I guarantee you that doing this will feel much greater than jumping of a roof. And MUCH cooler.
www.cracked.com
www.tvtropes.org

There are times when you want to break down and rage at the heavens. Don't. Stay calm, and let the emotions flood in, accept them and then rise above them. Never dwell. Don't fear or worry. Anything worth thinking about is worth talking about. And... Good luck.

Offline strelok

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 30, 2008, 09:59:31 AM »
The biggest fall I've taken probably didn't stem from parkour. I've taken 10+ feet falls onto a crash pad, and sometimes just onto the ground, in climbing shoes - which hurts a lot =) (I've been rock climbing for 6+ years). In parkour, I've mostly stayed below 6-8ft, since more is simply not necessary. First, I think that the rolling technique has to be perfected. Once you have the roll down, and quite a bit of conditioning, I think that you can choose for yourself whether or not to do higher drops. I am pro-choice in that regard.

I know the criticism of the parkour majority, and I've read dozens of topics such as this in the past half a year. However, I don't think that telling people not to do stuff isn't going to restrict them from doing it in the future. As a famous Russian proverb says : "A smart man learns from the mistakes of others, while a dumb one only learns from his own". You can tell someone one million times to not jump off of height X or Y or Z, but if they think that it would be invaluable to their social standing or to the respect that it gains them in school/college, they will still do it.

Sorry for my ramblings. I am a pessimist at heart, so I always try to look from the worse side. If things are not as bad, there's one more reason to celebrate. =)

-Pasha
« Last Edit: August 30, 2008, 10:01:18 AM by strelok »

Offline Holland Wilson

• Mangabey
  • Formerly known as the Damned Scholar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 01, 2008, 03:27:01 PM »
I make it a policy to fall no more than my height. I know this isn't a terribly good guide, because as your mass decreases the distance you can fall increases because the force from the fall decreases faster than the amount of weight your body can stand does, but all I know of physics and anatomy indicates that it's a manageable fall and good technique will leave little strain that my body can't fix on its own. I also make it a policy not to fall my height on a regular basis. I can practice landings just fine dropping from two or three feet, and maybe if I'm feeling thrill-happy I'll toss in a jump at height onto grass.
"At the age of six I wanted to be a cook. At seven I wanted to be Napoleon. And my ambition has been growing steadily ever since." - Salvador Dali

Offline Alex L.

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 01, 2008, 08:55:43 PM »

Try this as an alternative: Practice vaults, flow, and rolling constantly, and if you're comfortable with it some more avanced stuff, then go out and just run. Don't stop, just...flow. I guarantee you that doing this will feel much greater than jumping of a roof. And MUCH cooler.

Yeah you're right. I feel everytime i'm out and i'm just weaving through obstacles fluently I feel great  ;D

Offline Tai

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 08, 2008, 07:45:03 AM »
You all start arguing and yet you still haven't asked the most important questions. Are you jumping onto grass, dirt or Conreet? I mean what is wrong with you people, we jump off stuff and over it and under it, its what we do. Instead of telling some one that they are stupid and that you want them to hurt them selves is fuked. All of you make me feel like i should train  all by my hermit self.

First off if in isn't onto conreet go for it. The human Body was ment to jump onto grass and dirt. The human body in good condition can do this better then half of the stuff we force ourselves to do. My father is a Chiropractor and i refer to him on a regular basis as to what is and is not possible for me to do. Trust me when i say that jumping with proper technique is far safer than wearing a backpack. Now i am not saying that you should be jumping off of 15 foot drops all of the time, but once in a while is not a problem.

Second and drop onto contreet is hundreds of times worse for your joints than dirt or grass. I don't drop more than 4 to 7 feet onto concreet, but any less than that and you might as well just take the stairs.

O.K. this is parkour, it is going to be dangerous. Stop being elitist pussies and instead of comdeming him help him. He didn't ask you to talk him out of it he asked you to help him do it. And honestly for a kid of 16 or 17 you might as well do it now while you can recover and gain the technique that will keep you from getting hurt later.

Lastly STOP USING NUMBERS LIKE THEY MEAN SOMTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is the real world it is about feeling not numbers. Plus unless you did the research yourself you are probably not getting the whole picture.

Tai

Offline Graham Hughes

• Hirundo Rustica
  • FLPK
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 08, 2008, 11:40:08 AM »
Ugh.  This thread is going nowhere fast.