Author Topic: Phytolith's field  (Read 4410 times)

Offline Phytolith

• Mangabey
  • Phytolith
    • View Profile
    • APK Alliance Blog
Phytolith's field
« on: April 24, 2008, 05:37:31 AM »
Tues 22 Apr
Warm up x3 : Run 1 lap, 15 pop-ups each leg, 15 dips, 15 decline pushups on a ~2 ft box.
Strength: QM obstacle course over boxes and across balance beam with handstand walk against wall.  Three times total, 2nd and 3rd time with 5 lb dumbbells (very hard to do handstand walk with weights!)
Skills: Tic-tacs to precisions.  Tic-tac over solid object to landing on obj. of various heights/surface areas.

Very tired at the end.  Had no trouble tic-tacing over a 3ft vaultbox, but couldn't get very much horizontal distance towards the end.  Also, vibramfivefingers shoes NOT good for landing on precision trainers - bruised the bottom of my foot landing badly.  They do fine when landing on a box or the floor, though, still love the grip. 

Offline Phytolith

• Mangabey
  • Phytolith
    • View Profile
    • APK Alliance Blog
Re: Phytolith's field
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2008, 05:45:06 AM »
Weds 23 Apr.
warm up x2: 100 jumpropes, 10 really concentrated squats (once again, I have to relearn how to do basic stuff when wearing these shoes), QM 50 ft forwards, 50 ft backwards with 20lb dumbbells.
strength: 10 negative muscle-ups (still in the "struggle-up" stage); first ever deadlifts: 95 lbs x 6, 105 lbs x 4, 115 lbs x 3, 125 lbs x 3, 135 lbs x 3, 150 lbs x 3 (PR! more than bodyweight!).  Thought I could have easily lifted more, but was advised to stop and see how my body feels afterwards.  Not sore today, so I think it went well!

Then taught kong vaults to the Parkour bootcamp.  Still working on split-footed take offs myself, teaching helps drive the lessons home.  Need to run faster/jump harder still. 

Stretching felt soo good afterwards.

Offline Terry McIntosh

• Patas
  • Tear It Up Terry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2008, 06:58:57 AM »
Stretching felt soo good afterwards.

thats what she said! ohhhhh   :D :D :D

glad to see you have a journal now. you will find they are awesome when you start tracking progress. i see you did deadlifts, nice.

WHERE IS MY HAWAIIAN SHIRT?!?!  :-Sarcasm
I like to touch different kinds of surface textures.
Parkour lets me do that without feeling weird.

Offline Phytolith

• Mangabey
  • Phytolith
    • View Profile
    • APK Alliance Blog
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2008, 09:57:09 AM »
Dude, what makes you think you earned a shirt?    :-Sarcasm ;)

Offline Phytolith

• Mangabey
  • Phytolith
    • View Profile
    • APK Alliance Blog
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2008, 09:57:17 AM »
Thurs 25 Apr:
Primal's Advanced PK class:

Warm up x2: 1 long lap (~800m) Indian sprints; 15 decline pushups; 50ft up and back QM with 25lb weights; 15 kipping pullups

Strength x2 (was supposed to be x4 but the warmup was pretty hard): 50ft up and back broad-jump burpees; 50ft up and back lunges with calf raises, 5 handstand push-up negatives (I can't do full down and up yet)

Skills: Warmed up on underbars a bit, then tried underbar to cat, which ended up being more of a lache' to cat, since the movement was pretty different.  I could get my feet and hands on the vault box we were catting on to, but my feet were always too low, and my heels hit the floor every time.  I think, with a bigger jump/faster run, I could have gotten my feet higher, but was a bit worried about my sprained toe (turf toe SUCKS) and didn't want to slam right into it, even though I was wearing sneakers instead of the vibrams. 

Just talked with Todd about doing his jump training this summer - it should help with this kind of problem, and also for getting bigger kongs and longer distance cats.  Looking forward to it.

Also, starting a food record:
B: tea, OJ, homemade sourdough with PB, jams, butter and cream cheese in various combos.  Yogurt with bananas and honey. Also: Fish oil and Glucosamine/Chondroitin for joints, Claratin/Zantac combo for fighting poison oak reaction (also, spring allergies).
L: Was lazy, didn't make anything, bought Baja Fresh Chicken Mango Salad.  Ate the nachos, not the salad shell.
Small snack of dry roasted edamame, a half a granola bar, iced coffee w/ cream, sugar
D: A few medallions of pork tenderloin and some sweet potato with chimay beer, followed by pineapple-coconut ice cream.

Pretty good day for proteins, but not enough fruit/veggies.  Ok on carbs.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2008, 10:15:55 AM by Phytolith »

Offline Phytolith

• Mangabey
  • Phytolith
    • View Profile
    • APK Alliance Blog
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2008, 10:02:04 AM »
Fri 25 Apr:
Day of rest. good thing, too, those underbars killed my shoulder.

Food:
B: Granola w/ yogurt, milk, banana.  Fish oil, Glucosamine/Chondroitin, Claratin/Zantac
S: Prednisone 40mg  :-[ plus iced coffee w/cream,sugar to wash it down.  I hate poison oak.
L: Bought again - chicken, broccoli, marinara and cheese over penne, V8, mochi!
S/D: BEEEEER +1!

Ok, too many carbs, esp with beer, but it's Friday. And they put me on prednisone again.   :P

Offline Laurie Jennifer

• is back! <3
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • The traceuse formerly known as "lauriejennifer"
    • View Profile
    • A Blog, for change of pace
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2008, 08:46:45 PM »
Hey!  You got a training journal now!  Rad!  ... That's really all I have to say for now.  Keep it up!  I'll pop by here every once in a while to encourage you!
Queen of Puns

Offline Phytolith

• Mangabey
  • Phytolith
    • View Profile
    • APK Alliance Blog
26-28 Apr
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2008, 06:51:29 AM »
Saturday:

10am parkour class -
warmup x3: run 350m, 12 pop-ups each leg, 12 dips, 12 decline push-ups.
strength: medicine ball toss while balancing on precision trainers (3 burpees for every fall)
team workouts: broadjump burpees vs plank; 10 pull-ups vs wall sit, v-sit vs. weighted QM (25lbs)
skills: cat leaps, tic tac to cat
obstacle course: vault to tac to cat, cat to cat, cat to euro-cat (so low, couldn't quite get it), vault to precisions.  still can't do a kong to precision with any accuracy. 

Then, went out on the leave no trace initiative and cleaned up Rock Creek Park's Par Course for 2 hrs.

B: 2 minibagels with PB and jams, tea, supplements, prednisone
L: late lunch! slurpee, beef jerky at about 2, ham, cheese and lettuce wrap with a carrot about 4pm, followed by green tea ice cream (yum!).
D: Chinese takeout - egg roll, some hot and sour soup, chicken and snow peas, orange beef.  With beer.

Sunday:
Day 'o rest.
B: Bagels and tea, the usual
L: Leftover pork tenderloin and sweet potatoes.
D: Wine tasting!  Pate on crackers, cheeses on bread, various veggies (asparagus, cukes, peppers, etc) with mayo, hummus and pita, salad w. balsamic.  strawberries.  10 wines (late night).

Monday:
Second rest day (10 pushups in my office every time I get bored or stuck on my grant proposal)
B: Cereal, yogurt, strawberries, OJ, tea, supplements, prednisone.
L: Turkey, salad, swiss wrap, carrots, pretzels, apple, water.
D: Probably buffalo meat chili and corn bread. 

LaurieJennifer Thanks for the support!  It's fun to watch my own progress here - I hadn't really paid attention to it before but I'm enjoying it so far. 

Offline Phytolith

• Mangabey
  • Phytolith
    • View Profile
    • APK Alliance Blog
29 Apr
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2008, 09:01:02 AM »
Tues-

A crappy day.  Hamstring still tight and sore from Saturday.  (Tried Ben-Gay for the first time, it kinda makes it feel better but doesn't really fix the problem). 

Primal Fitness Parkour workout:
Warmup: Run ~300m, QM up and down stairs, 20 squats, 10 decline pushups, 10 m rail walk, run ~300m.
Workout: Course with 7 obstacles, get through in any order, touching all obstacles however possible, trying for smoothness.  Did one run-through, the hamstring was very unhappy, sat out the rest of the class on the roller, trying to stretch/massage the hammie.

B: 2 mini bagels, cream cheese, PB, jams, tea, OJ, supplements, prednisone.
L (broken into two portions): turkey, swiss, salad and asparagus wrap; pretzels, carrot, orange, water.
D: Leftover Chinese, wine, candied ginger for dessert.

Offline Phytolith

• Mangabey
  • Phytolith
    • View Profile
    • APK Alliance Blog
Laaazy
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2008, 05:22:01 AM »
Weds 30 Apr
Minor training outside - worked on turn vaults over rails, handstands, and rail QM for about 40 mins.  Rode my bike the 6 miles to work and back.  Still resting the hamstring as much as possible.

Thurs - Sat
Rested

Sun:
Minor training outside - ran 1/4 mile, 3x (20 squats, 10 decline pushups, 10 dips).  Worked on handstands, hamstring still sore.  Stretched well.

Offline David Glass

• Hirundo Rustica
  • CptBongue
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2008, 09:17:09 AM »
Phytolith,

Nice to see you're logging your training. And you're doing pretty awesome too. I think you can do more dips than I can! Well, I'll never know until my shoulder heals  ;D

BTW, comment, especially on your first couple of entries... Use bullets. They're easier to read and track. You'll go back a couple of weeks to see how many pull-ups you were doing, and be able to see it right on the spot!
Life can be divided in two phases: Before the first time, and After the first time
Traning Journal: http://www.performancemenu.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5147

Offline Laurie Jennifer

• is back! <3
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2008, 07:35:12 PM »
Good luck with that hamstring!  That has to be one of the worst muscles to pull/strain/etc.
Queen of Puns

Offline Phytolith

• Mangabey
  • Phytolith
    • View Profile
    • APK Alliance Blog
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2008, 05:54:31 AM »
Mon 5 May
Rest Again

Tues 6 May
Worked at the lab = 3 pullups each time I pass the doorway

warmup (for the hamstring)
- 1 k row ~5 mins
- 20 KB swings
- 4 20ft laps of walking lunges
- ~20 straight leg swings each side
warmup (for the rest of me)
- QM course (up and down two staircases, forwards, sideways (both sides), backwards)
- top out shimmy (hand on top of wall, feet against the side, "walking" along the wall)
- 10 decline pushups

skills
- turn vaults, kongs and speeds over rails.  teaching others how to do turn vaults really helps me get over my fear.
- palm spins on railing (still just using the end of the railing, but getting there)
- tic-tac to precision (not quite making it onto the railing. . .yet)
- rail precisions over 5 ft gap, not quite sticking it
- rail QM (vibram shoes are AWESOME for this)

Weds 8 May

Worked at the lab = three pullups each time I pass the doorway

Helped teach PK bootcamp:
warmup
- shoulder stretches
- straight leg swings for hamstring
- a little bit of handstand work
- same QM course as yesterday
- wall sits

Skills
- More turn vault (over higher rail, getting more comfortable with this one)
- Lazy vault over rail
- Reverse vault over rail

Shoulda warmed the hamstring up a little better, but it's definitely improving.

Offline Phytolith

• Mangabey
  • Phytolith
    • View Profile
    • APK Alliance Blog
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2008, 05:45:56 AM »
Thurs 8 Apr

Advanced PK class:

Warmup x2
- 350m lap
- 12 push-ups
- 12 pull-ups (managed to kip all in a row without losing rhythm, yeah!)
- 12 squats
- straight leg swings for hamstring

Workout
Team workout: Two rounds of:
- Hanging L-sit vs. Walking Lunge with a twist
- Handstand vs. Broadjump Burpees
- Side Plank vs. Weighted backwards QM (15lbs, coulda done 20, but was trying to save myself)
- Wall sit vs. 20 Jump/Vaults
 Took us about 15-20 mins to complete, we were all wasted afterwards.

Worked a bit on rolls on my left side, but was too tired to be of much use.  Felt good to condition that hard, haven't done so in a while.

Offline Phytolith

• Mangabey
  • Phytolith
    • View Profile
    • APK Alliance Blog
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2008, 08:30:53 AM »
Friday 9 May-Sunday 11 May
10 highschool reunion.  Much food, much drinking, late nights, oog.

Monday 10 May
Resting, trying to catch up from the weekend

Tuesday 11 May
Working at the lab = 3 pullups every time I pass the good doorway - ~15 for the day

Primal Fitness Advanced parkour class:
I didn't have my head screwed on straight all day (nearly drove the wrong way down a divided highway, duh), so I still took it a little easy. 

Also, left shoulder and both knees very sore (WTF? I haven't done anything that would've irritated the knees! Ok, except wearing heels Friday night, but still).

Warmup:
- jog 300 m
- QM backwards up and frontwards down 5 flights of stairs
- 20 squats on a wall (extra balancing fun)
- wall shimmy for about 10 ft
- 3 pullups on a tree (meant to do more, but wasn't having it)
- broad jump burpees for about 50 ft
- partner carry x2, 50 ft
- walking lunges, 50 ft.

Skills:
- a few turn vaults, kongs and speeds over railing, a little rail QM.  Tried, unsuccessfully, to do reverse vaults over a rail (which I did just fine last week!)

Went home early, so I wouldn't hurt myself more, stretched, iced the knees.

Gaa, not a good training day.  The diet was pretty solid, though, including fresh-from-the-farm veg and strawberries that were part of my first share from the CSA.  ^__^  Gonna teach first week of bootcamp tonight, looking forward to going back to basics and getting some good training in.  Will have to take it easy on the knees, tho.

Offline Phytolith

• Mangabey
  • Phytolith
    • View Profile
    • APK Alliance Blog
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2008, 12:35:25 PM »
Been a bit overwhelmed with work and the like, but I finally am making more time and setting some hard goals.

I've realized that while I'm pretty fit, I don't have near the level of jump strength I'd like.  Since I'm teaching, I can't take Todd's Jumping Training, but I can work aspects of it into my workout. 

My long term goal is to add 3 inches to my vertical jump and 4 inches to my standing broad jump.  I'm currently at 17" vertical and 7'8" broad.

And kind of randomly - I want to strengthen my finger flexors and extensors.  Grip strength is key for some of the rail work we do, helpful for topouts, too, but it bugs me that the resting position of my hands is very closed, so I want to work on the extensors as well.

About three weeks ago, I started using knee bands to reduce my patellar tendonitis.  I was reluctant to get them at first, since my previous experience with this kind of brace/band has left me doubting their efficiency, but I've since been amazed at how much less pain I have.  I still get occasional bursts of pain if I land badly, but there is very little lingering soreness as there used to be (I can sleep at night without massive doses of Ibuprofen, hooray!) .  They are not the most attractive of fashion accessories, however, and I'm sure I don't inspire much confidence as a teacher when wearing them. 

Last note: Tried sumo deadlift for the second-ever time last week.  First time I went easy, didn't quite get to body-weight, but knew I had a lot more in me.  Last week, then, I tried to max out and got to 235, which is just 15 lbs short of double body-weight.  I felt awesome, and didn't hurt the next day. I may try adding cross-fit workouts on Wednesdays before teaching PK bootcamp just to keep up this kind of workout.

Ok, so back to the log

Weds 8 July
Adv. PK Class:
warm-up x2
Run long lap,
25lb weighted QM lap
15 kipping pull-ups (still have to break these up into 2 sets)
10 squats

Vertical jump height test (two tries, 17" both times)

Plyometric jumping exercise onto and off of a row of five 12" and 18" boxes x3
Plyometric jumping exercise over row of boxes x3

Modified Tabata of squatjumps (with tuck) alternating with mountain climbers.  Score: 12 and 18

100 slow continuous squats on balance beam.

Stretch.

Next week: incorporate plyometric bounce into jumping for height; include Dimmel Deadlifts to isolate glute/hamstring chain.

Offline Terry McIntosh

• Patas
  • Tear It Up Terry
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2008, 06:08:28 PM »

About three weeks ago, I started using knee bands to reduce my patellar tendonitis.  I was reluctant to get them at first, since my previous experience with this kind of brace/band has left me doubting their efficiency, but I've since been amazed at how much less pain I have.  I still get occasional bursts of pain if I land badly, but there is very little lingering soreness as there used to be (I can sleep at night without massive doses of Ibuprofen, hooray!) .  They are not the most attractive of fashion accessories, however, and I'm sure I don't inspire much confidence as a teacher when wearing them. 

whatever kid, i think those things always look awesome. i knew some basketball players that would where them for the hell of it.
I like to touch different kinds of surface textures.
Parkour lets me do that without feeling weird.

Offline Phytolith

• Mangabey
  • Phytolith
    • View Profile
    • APK Alliance Blog
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2008, 10:39:44 AM »
Heh, thanks Terry.  They do work, I confess.

Thursday 10 July

Warm up:
Run 200m
QM tunnel
Partner training on 15 m course:
Leapfrog pushups
Jumping wheelbarrow

10 Explosive pushups onto 1.5ft high wall.
20 popups on each leg onto 2ft wall (too high for comfort)
20 balance squats

Skill work:
Tic-tac 90 degrees to cat.  I could not make this into a pop-vault, no matter how hard I tried.
I attempted one tic-tac 270 degrees to cat, managed to hurt my shoulder again, so I stopped.

Balance work on wall: stand to QM one step, to stand, and repeat. 

Offline Laurie Jennifer

• is back! <3
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2008, 02:00:13 PM »
Glad the knees are doing better!  And your tic-tac skillz are ridiculous.  It's a joy to watch.  Keep training!

Queen of Puns

Offline Phytolith

• Mangabey
  • Phytolith
    • View Profile
    • APK Alliance Blog
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2008, 08:44:34 AM »
Heh, thanks for the vote of confidence Laurie! 

Tuesday 16 July
Jump conditioning resumes

Warmup x3:
Run 300m
QM ~30m with 20lb weights (one lap with 25lbs)
15 T pushups with 20lb weights (one set with 15, one attempted with 25)
15 squats

Jump conditioning:
3 rounds of:
5 bounce jumps off ~18" box onto floor, up to ~36" box (plyometric).
10 Dimmel Deadlifts 20lbs
15 plyometric high jumps over ~30" rope

Tabata of parachute jumps: min reps = 12

Just for kicks: jump height and width max = 16" and 6'10".  This is an inch off my vertical and a good 8' off my horizontal.  Guess I was tired.   ;)