Author Topic: A to B  (Read 8896 times)

Offline The Fallen

• Patas
  • We ain't got no meatballs!
    • View Profile
Re: A to B
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2006, 04:19:55 PM »
im only going to the fridge if theyres cheetos in the cupboard beside it. But if you have tostinos...

Prognosis?
ALL SYSTEMS GO!
Animals should not try to act like Humans, But if i want to act like a dolphin who's gonna F%$^&ing stop me?

Offline Daniel Faulkner

• Guenons
  • pierced one
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2006, 02:47:53 PM »
in such a discussion on the definition of parkour, i was one told A-B the funnest.  you see A and B do not matter its the - that matters.  in other words how you get from A to B.  but if you want to say the funnest that can get into anything from parkour, freerunning or something that isn't even parkour related suck as ostrich riding.
Live fast, die young, and leave a good looking corpse.

Not all who wander are lost. J.R. Tolkien

Offline Asa Liebmann

• New Jersey
  • Mangabey
    • View Profile
    • NYParkour
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2006, 03:53:41 PM »
Or an english class :)

Just busting your chops, Daniel. However, I am interested in who you had this discussion with.

In a way, you're right, A and B do not matter, as you are only focusing on the movement itself, but the true, strategic, all-encompassing purpose is getting to B.

However, A-B is NOT the definition of Parkour, as was stated earlier in this thread, just a tool for explanation, an example to show the mindset of Parkour.

Offline Daniel Faulkner

• Guenons
  • pierced one
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2006, 06:42:37 AM »
The definition came from Rob of the Texas Parkour Clan. You can probably find him on our meetup.com site. We talked about this while the big debate of what  the definition of parkour should be, and whether or not flips are a part of parkour.  In our discussion we also mentioned the progression of parkour in the future in relation to other up and coming sports of the past, such as skateboarding and surfing.  When the sports were in their beginnings they symbolized freedom.  The practitioners didn't want them to become regulated, but they did.  And we agreed that parkour is on that same path.  When parkour becomes regulated there are going to be lots of disagreements and hurt feelings.  Then along with that there will come posers and lots of people that will misrepresent the sport. You will still have your sole traceurs as well as soul skaters and surfers, that are going to do what they call parkour the way they want to do it.

I believe parkour is about the movement not the starting point or the destination.  When I am out on a run i do what i feel flows at the time, as well as Rob. I feel like a flip or two is okay as long as it flows.  But now if you throw a flip in your run all you have to say is I'm doing free running.  I like the way this has become.

edited for correct information.  appologies for providing false info
« Last Edit: March 28, 2006, 09:10:42 AM by Daniel Faulkner »
Live fast, die young, and leave a good looking corpse.

Not all who wander are lost. J.R. Tolkien

Offline Deft

• Definitely NOT a wanker...
  • Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2006, 06:51:33 AM »
For the record Rob can NOT flip or trick. and he has not been a part of the group in 4 months. I have a sprained ankle and am more active than him >:(
 this only makes sense to people in TXPK but I had to say it...Damn the FWT's and Damn all the injuries!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The joy of surpassing the limits of the body is open to all.
-Mihaly Csikszentmilhaly

Offline Matthew Lee Willis

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Texas Parkour
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2006, 07:17:23 AM »
LOL DEFT...
Parkour:Phone Calls
Free Running::Text Messaging

Offline Brian Belida

• doc akh
  • Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • OPEN BEAR POSTURE
    • View Profile
    • appropriately untitled
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2006, 08:41:01 AM »
LOL DELAYED REACTIONS...

:] but seriously, this thread be old.

Offline Matthew Lee Willis

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Texas Parkour
« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2006, 10:00:04 PM »
and?
Parkour:Phone Calls
Free Running::Text Messaging

Offline Valigon

• Patas
  • Death to those who oppose me
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2006, 04:00:04 PM »
Personaly my Definition of Parkour is not so much doing parkour like movments, or trying to escape from someone, or doing cool tircks, or getting from point A to B(skippers fridge), but Parkour is the Knowledge, Wisdom, Mindset, and Lifestyle of living in such a way that i no longer am held to the restraints that mere humans are held by, i am a Traucer i cam more the human, i have evolved past my limitations into a new way of life, and that life is Parkour

Offline Pat Kerby

• Guenons
  • To old to Parkour
    • View Profile
    • www.kerbybrothers.com
« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2006, 08:42:13 PM »
Well put Valigon.  If it was about just getting from A to B, there wouldn't be such a broad appeal.  It's probably diferent for everyone, but for me it's about freedom.  The freedom from constraints that apply to the ordinary, and the joy of your ability to overcome your obstacles in a truly dynamic way. 
Director of "Essence of The Force" at www.kerbybrothers.com, and "Fightscenes For Motion Pictures" at www.kbproducts.com

Steez

« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2006, 08:49:22 PM »
for me...A to B usually involves various arcs around a track :P =practicing for parkour

Offline Matthew Menze

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2006, 06:44:44 PM »
I view Parkour as striving for complete freedom of travel, I consider freerunning to be striving for the complete freedom of motion in space. Anthing more then that is to complicated to think about when you are doing ethier.

By freedom of travel i mean going anywhere you want with grace, regardless of the things in the way. The motivation is irrelivant.
"With my feet upon the ground, I lose myself
 between the sounds and open wide to suck it in, I feel it move across my skin. I'm reaching up and reaching out, I'm reaching for the random or what ever will bewilder me. And following our will and wind we may just go where no one's been. "

Offline Sredni Vashtar

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 27, 2006, 03:14:00 AM »
When I'm out doing parkour, I'm always visualizing situations and lines in a different sort of way. Like, if a traceur has to escape, he/she would choose the path that offers the least resistance for them but the most for their attacker. So like, A-B not necessarily the most efficient way possible, but a way that can be taken easily with parkour techniques that any ordinary person wouldn't do.

Then again i've been awake for like 32 hours at this point so i probably just typed incoherent babbling.

Offline ERI1044

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 29, 2006, 08:16:06 AM »
i create a story line to get from A to B like

"ahh these crazy ninjas are after me! better the hell outa here as quick as possible and find a place they can't reach me!!" at the end of these senarios i always end up getting killed by those f#cking ninjas!! AHH
breathing isn't parkour!! HA, YOU CAN'T BREATH!