Author Topic: PARKOUR IS NOT A PHILOSOPHY  (Read 9611 times)

Offline Jarrett

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • snafu
    • View Profile
Re: PARKOUR IS NOT A PHILOSOPHY
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2011, 03:36:09 PM »
Sounds like it's not even worth the paper it's printed on.

the whole book isn't from this point of view, it basically includes every mindset I've ever seen in a traceur
"I can't define a hero. All I know is that it's someone you probably don't notice, but when you find out what they did and how modestly they did it, you can never shake off the feeling that you're cut from a lesser cloth, and you find that braggarts suddenly offend you a great deal more than usual."

Offline Ryan Sannar

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Jump Utah
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2011, 08:02:10 AM »
Who wrote it?
10 push ups.

Offline Jarrett

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • snafu
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2011, 12:55:15 PM »
"I can't define a hero. All I know is that it's someone you probably don't notice, but when you find out what they did and how modestly they did it, you can never shake off the feeling that you're cut from a lesser cloth, and you find that braggarts suddenly offend you a great deal more than usual."

Offline Kyle

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2011, 03:46:44 PM »
I was adamantly against the idea that parkour was a philosophy or spiritual for a while. Mainly because, in all truth, it was mostly kids getting emotional rather than anything actually insightful going on.

Things are what a person makes of it. As someone pointed out earlier, I've never met anyone that actually trains parkour for practicality. Most of whom who claim such is usually bsing me.

Offline Jason C. Astor

• Mangabey
  • Never Give up, Never Surrender
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2011, 01:45:11 PM »
Parkour itself is not a philosophy simply because "it's a Philosophy" as many people claim it to be. However, the very goal of Parkour is to overcome challenges, both physical and mental, through study of movement and ones self. Parkour, just like martial arts, isn't if-so facto a philosophy. It becomes a philosophy as you allow your self to delve deeper into your self and your very core beliefs of what this crazy world is all about. Anyone can write or type or speak pretty words but that doesn't make you a philosopher; the same is true for traceurs.

In conclusion, yes, Parkour is a discipline or part of philosophy or at least it can be if you have the mental aptitude to allow it to be

"Iron is full of impurities that weaken it; through the forging fire, it becomes steel and is transformed into a razorsharp sword. Human beings develop in the same fashion" Morihei Ueshiba
David Belle once robbed a bank and left all the money on the Roof. He just wanted to prove that he could overcome any "Vault"..

"Those who lack the Courage will always find a Philosophy to justify it" -Camus

Offline DaveS

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2011, 08:45:12 PM »
I don't know ANYONE who practices parkour because of it's practicality.
As someone pointed out earlier, I've never met anyone that actually trains parkour for practicality.
Hi :)

In fact, 'practicality' is broad enough to encompass everyone's reasons for practising Parkour. Everyone who practises Parkour does so because it gives them something they need or want. If it didn't, they wouldn't practise it. If something benefits you then for you it is practical.

Parkour hasn't changed. What has changed is that some people have started using it for different things than those who created it used it for.
~ Dave
NorthernParkour and the British Parkour Coaching Association

Offline Daniel Mendes

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2012, 05:55:48 PM »
Hi, i'm not really that much experienced in philosophy or psychology but at least what i understand when someone says "parkour philosophy" is "things that we come to realise about our own life and how we handle situations in it based on parkour as a way of thinking and figuring how to overcome obstacles" or something...
"Fear is thee lack of faith" -- Some random Brazillian Graffity Artist.

Offline Ian Want

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2012, 06:35:28 PM »
Again, the phrase "finding your own path" comes to mind.

IF you don't agree with how people see it, then stray from their path and continue merrily down your own.

Some DO see it as that all-encompassing way of life, some see it as a way to get in shape. I don't really care what people want to call it because all that matters is what it means to me. If it matters that much to you, then by all means, continue to try and correct the world... I'll be worrying about my training and my way of life.

<3

Sinbadx11

« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2012, 06:59:26 PM »
You're right. I did miss the point. :)

Going today, routes on the way are niceeee. +1

[edit] for effect.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 09:46:03 AM by Sinbadx11 »

Offline Spencer Young

• Mangabey
  • The Jack of all Trades
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2012, 07:46:42 AM »
Sinbad, Like others have said, you are missing the point of the meaning. Two questions I ask you:

How long have you been doing PK?

What are Your Beliefs in the PK realm or as a traceur?

I'm in my 9th month of training, and I try to train at least 5 days a week and balance school and work; however, I need to understand everything about PK culture and theory. I'm still enjoying Julie Angel's book Cine Parkour which is applying theory to PK, and its orgins. I love this aspect of this culture. PK is like a language, ethier you understand it or you don't, but overtime we will all admire the words we draft through our movement and practice.

My personal Philosophy about PK is to learn to trust myself more and create a better me, and help my fellow traceurs. Though I'm no David Belle or Ryan Doyle, I learn to correct myself without needing to worry about my product. I'll rather do 50 turn valuts on the same bar which I only stick 34/50 rather than try to Dive kong a 55ft space with a 10 ft drop at my current level. That's why my Team's motto is "No more Tears", which is bascially Joe Brock's Shut up N' Train mentality with my own philosophy about drilling and showing up. As my Sensei tells us, "You're going to show in reality, what you do in your practice." which it shows. I may not can do fancy corks or flips, yet, but to bash someone because it's more technical than flash is just a plain morality killer. I'm not here to show off these skills that I learn from this great community, but to accept feedback from people that have been PKing longer than me and ask questions.

In closing, Just to each is his or her own. Technical jargon helps, but showing your own actions in a community is key. regardless of anyone elses own personal philosophy about the sport, WE ca all Learn from each other, no matter what skill level.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 07:52:41 AM by Spencer Young »
WIP

Offline Jason C. Astor

• Mangabey
  • Never Give up, Never Surrender
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2012, 08:50:50 AM »
I just remembered something. Danilee Bolleli's (Probably misspelled) Book. "The Warrior Within" could actually be a perfect explanation as to how Parkour is and is not a philosophy. Now, this book is more focused on the practice of martial arts, but the thesis is that through physical action, confidence and training one paves their own philosophy of life or their own "Tao" (way). Bruce Lee's Jeet Kune Do was infact a system of punches and kicks and motions to train. However, beyond just the movements was a path to discover your own path.

So really to say that Parkour is not A philosophy is lacking any knowledge of Anything but Greeko Aristotle/Plato/Heraclitus Philosophies of Dichotomies between mind/body/soul.

Western Philosophy implies that the "Self" is not the Body but some grounded entity that is just housed in this form.

Eastern/Some African/Native American Philosophies say that The self is a culmination of mind, body and soul. They imply that an Enlightened or Open or Good man is one who has these parts of himself in balance.

Many beliefs say that only through extensive physical action and meditation can the 3 parts of you become synced. (Tai Chi, Gong Fu, Shaolin Kung Fu, Amazonian Shamans)

In conclusion, Go buy "The Warrior Within"
David Belle once robbed a bank and left all the money on the Roof. He just wanted to prove that he could overcome any "Vault"..

"Those who lack the Courage will always find a Philosophy to justify it" -Camus

Offline Travis S

• Patas
  • das flow
    • View Profile
    • UMass Parkour
« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2012, 06:09:20 PM »
Parkour psychology is nonexistent at this point; though, themes from areas such as developmental, exercise, behavioral, and other psychological subfields could no doubt be borrowed from to begin to piece together the wide set of mental processes used in our practices. This would be parkour psychology, as the field is science based. Certainly personal reflection, interview and other similar means are a good window into the minds of practitioners, such data is nearly impossible to navigate statistically. Psychology is generally based in experimentation and the use of hypothesis.

If one wants to discuss the effects of parkour practice on decision making, mood states, confidence, mental rotation skills, implicit memory, mediation of negative ADHD symptoms, etc. then you're talking psychology.

Also, in response to your first point of parkour not being a philosophy, I think this is more of a definitional issue. If parkour functions for you as "people climbing on walls and running places", then parkour is no philosophy. Parkour is many things to many people, its an art, its a discipline, its a sport, its exercise, its play, its a business, its a way of life, etc.

Perhaps parkour fits into a part of personal philosophy, and perhaps for some it is that philosophy. 

If parkour was my philosophy of life I might say: Life as one movement flows. Life as many movements, slows.

Offline Colter Mendez

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • find freedom in purpose...
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2012, 10:23:13 AM »
ok lets think big picture for a sec...first get "parkour" out of your head.  Words really dont mean anything until someone or a group of someones give it meaning, when you give something meaning, it is based off of an opinion...if you keep going you start beginning to "see" instead of "think" and realize that your opinion shapes the world around you as you "see" fit or choose to believe.  and with so many different opinions and thoughts between people, lines cross and boundaries overlap.  wars are started over difference of opinion, progression is born from tolerance, and the ability to adapt...despite laws of physics(which still need unification btw), absolutes do not exist, until you give them meaning.  notice a pattern?  everything is based off of opinion, and the imagination to make the connections.  Its our way of finding balance in somewhat of a freefall so to speak...I dont really "know" its just my opinion that you are your own hero or villian.  I hope it makes sense, i know its not about the given subject, per say, but in essence i see the world as an enormous playground with limitless possibilities, so why choose to limit myself to the meaning of a word...
abosolution exists only in your mind, the world is what you make it...

Offline Colter Mendez

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • find freedom in purpose...
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2012, 11:00:26 AM »
more on topic, i believe you are right and wrong at the same time...it all depends, for some it may carry that capacity, for others it could possibly signify simply a chapter of someones "epic poem" (odyssey reference).  In an argument with no final answer, and only more questions, either agree to disgree, or attempt to percieve what is essentially the same "box", for lack of a better word, from someone elses angle. for example: no two people see the same rainbow, same principle...
abosolution exists only in your mind, the world is what you make it...

Offline Crosion_5

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
    • Ultimatetraceur.com
« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2012, 04:29:21 PM »
While it is true that Parkour is not a philosophy, there are still philosophical aspects connected with parkour.  There is a philosophy behind parkour, but parkour is not just a philosphy.  Does that make sense?

In accordance with the original "classical" definition of philosophy given in the first post, parkour does investigate the truth and principles behind knowledge, conduct, and being.

Knowledge about ones body and mind.  Knowledge of your environment.  Knowledge of survival.

The conduct of ones actions in specific situations.

The being or state of ones mind when in specific situations.

And besides, only one definition was used.  Here is what dictionary.com has:

phi·los·o·phy

 [fi-los-uh-fee]
noun, plural -phies.

1. the rational investigation of the truths and principles of being, knowledge, or conduct.
2. any of the three branches, namely natural philosophy, moral philosophy,  and metaphysical philosophy, that are accepted as composing this study.
3. a system of philosophical  doctrine
4. the critical study of the basic principles and concepts of a particular branch of knowledge, especially with a view to improving or reconstituting them
5. a system of principles for guidance in practical affairs.

Parkour could fit into any of these definitions, if you really think about it.  Most things could.  Really this is an argument dealling with semantics.  People just try their best to use words to explain things, but words are almost always going to fall short.