Author Topic: PARKOUR IS NOT A PHILOSOPHY  (Read 9604 times)

shadow1234

PARKOUR IS NOT A PHILOSOPHY
« on: June 27, 2008, 02:55:56 PM »
Alright, so I know I'm going to get a lot of negative ones for this but here goes. Its starting to really irk me how so many people on here think they are amateur philosophers already because of some profound enlightenment they have found in parkour. Usually I say let others do what they want, but this is just too annoying.

The definition of philosophy

the rational investigation of the truths and principles of being, knowledge, or conduct.

Parkour "philosophy" does not answer any questions or investigate any of the above to any true extent. Sure, there is a little bit of self discovery, but that is not the study of being. Ontology is.

This does not mean that parkour has no "essence". However, what people call are calling parkour philosophy is parkour psychology.

A definition of psychology

The sum or characteristics of the mental states and processes of a person or class of persons, or of the mental states and processes involved in a field of activity: the psychology of a soldier; the psychology of politics.

Therefore, I propose that people start referring to it as parkour psychology. It may seem trivial, but I think calling it a philosophy when one doesn't understand what a philosophy is tends to make themselves feel more important about themselves and makes them feel as if they are more enlightened than others. Of course that is an over generalization, but you should understand what I mean.

This has just been my reaction to the type of talk I have been hearing around hear lately that seems to get more pretentious every day.

« Last Edit: June 27, 2008, 03:09:01 PM by RenegadeofJump »

Offline Alec Furtado

• kicks butt.
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Balance.
    • View Profile
Re: PARKOUR IS NOT A PHILOSOPHY
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2008, 04:03:12 PM »
While you may be technically correct, the obvious fact is that words are insistently misused every day, and I can't help but feel somewhat pretentious when correcting people on their speech.

For one thing, psychology doesn't sound nearly as good as philosophy. Two, a lot of people give parkour a different definition than others. For some, it may be purely a sport while for others it can be an all-encompassing way of life.

In conclusion, as many of these type of discussions have turned out, I think we will again arrive at the same answer: take it as your own to be what you want.
Water conforms to the shape of it's surroundings. Do not be water. Shape your own life.

Offline Andy Animus Tran

• Hirundo Rustica
  • The Invisible Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2008, 04:38:27 PM »
Actually, there certainly is a philosophy to Parkour.  Your definition of philosophy refers to CLASSICAL philosophy, but not CONTINENTAL philosophy (these are European terms... in the US, classical philosophy is called "philosophy" and continental philosophy is divided into "Marxism, feminism, cultural studies, critical theory, etc."  To say that Jacques Lacan was not a philosopher would be... quite daring.

Like it or not, psychoanalysis is critical theory, and critical theory is continental philosophy.  I do agree that these little kids need to stop playing their little mind games, because they tend to not be very good at it, but you're completely dismissing the fact that the spiritism of Parkour rests in theoretical approaches to movement, to lifestyle, to thought and forethought, and to action.  Not only this, but the cultural movements of Parkour are wrought with philosophical underpinnings.  Where else do you see a movement go from folk culture to counter-culture to mass culture to popular culture in the timespan of 20 years?  How do you explain it?  What are the implications for modern society as a whole?  What about the feminist issue?  The activities of Parkour culture can be analyzed to DEATH under a feminist lens.  My seven page paper on the very subject was only an INTRODUCTION to gender studies as applied to Parkour.  And don't you dare tell me that feminism isn't real philosophy, either, because... well, that's just asking for trouble.

My point is that you seem to only be focusing on classical schools of philosophy for your definition..  Empiricism, dualism, mentalism, materialism, etc.  What about existentialism? Is that not a philosophy?  Nihilism?  Those two bridge the gap between the classical and the continental schools..

But I do think you need to widen your view of what "philosophy" means... because, right now, you're just being a dull American who has completely discounted a massive philosophical movement because he's been brainwashed to disrespect and neglect it.
Andy Tran, C.S.C.S.
Lead Parkour Instructor
Urban Evolution
Parkour Virginia

Offline Tom Coppola

• Hirundo Rustica
  • TomewardBound
    • View Profile
    • Florida Parkour
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2008, 05:29:40 PM »
Now, while I have a limited knowledge of philosophy, I do have experience with psychology and I can tell that you are really missing the point.  You state that this parkour "philosophy" needs to provide answers to questions in order for it to be a philosophy.  You couldn't be further from reality.  Philosophy never provides answers to questions.  Instead, philosophy presents questions and ideas, while psychology provides (or attempts to provide) answers to some of these questions through scientific research.  Hence the reason why psychology is a science and philosophy is not.

You are just trying to spark a ridiculous argument with a thread like this.  Using very basic and very vague dictionary definitions to prove a point isn't a very good way to go about things.  Maybe if you attempted to do some research and provided some actual support for your claims, then I might have a little more respect for this post.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfGJ-vaW0Uw

When faced with the stress of a life-threatening engagement, we don't rise to the occasion, we descend to our level of training.

Offline KC Parsons

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Eat. Move. Improve.
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2008, 08:25:17 PM »
Actually, there certainly is a philosophy to Parkour.  Your definition of philosophy refers to CLASSICAL philosophy, but not CONTINENTAL philosophy (these are European terms... in the US, classical philosophy is called "philosophy" and continental philosophy is divided into "Marxism, feminism, cultural studies, critical theory, etc."  To say that Jacques Lacan was not a philosopher would be... quite daring.

Like it or not, psychoanalysis is critical theory, and critical theory is continental philosophy.  I do agree that these little kids need to stop playing their little mind games, because they tend to not be very good at it, but you're completely dismissing the fact that the spiritism of Parkour rests in theoretical approaches to movement, to lifestyle, to thought and forethought, and to action.  Not only this, but the cultural movements of Parkour are wrought with philosophical underpinnings.  Where else do you see a movement go from folk culture to counter-culture to mass culture to popular culture in the timespan of 20 years?  How do you explain it?  What are the implications for modern society as a whole?  What about the feminist issue?  The activities of Parkour culture can be analyzed to DEATH under a feminist lens.  My seven page paper on the very subject was only an INTRODUCTION to gender studies as applied to Parkour.  And don't you dare tell me that feminism isn't real philosophy, either, because... well, that's just asking for trouble.

My point is that you seem to only be focusing on classical schools of philosophy for your definition..  Empiricism, dualism, mentalism, materialism, etc.  What about existentialism? Is that not a philosophy?  Nihilism?  Those two bridge the gap between the classical and the continental schools..

But I do think you need to widen your view of what "philosophy" means... because, right now, you're just being a dull American who has completely discounted a massive philosophical movement because he's been brainwashed to disrespect and neglect it.

QFT and awesomeness.

Although, just bear in mind words have denotative and connotative meanings. So while you can flip through your dictionary, under the ph's, and find what you've found, you still miss the fact that the definition of words is quite simply determined by those who use it.
And philosophy can be a mentality or approach.
It's both psychology and philosophy.

But don't worry, I understand why you get frustrated with everybody posting about it.

Offline Nom

• Mangabey
  • NOM
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2008, 08:26:26 PM »
This topic has been beaten into a pulp. Why are we doing it again?
------------------
The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.
-Albert Camus

Springfield MO Weekly Session

Offline Muhammad

• Hirundo Rustica
  • London, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2008, 08:39:12 PM »
As long as new people keep coming, topics will be redundantly beaten to pulp.

Offline Mike Sechler

• Guenons
  • "Support your local traceur!"
    • View Profile
    • Team UV
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2008, 10:11:56 PM »
It doesn't matter what people call Parkour. You think of it however you like. If you dont want to hear it, stop listening. Philosophy or Psychology? Forget about it and go run!

"The more you sweat in practice, the less you bleed on the concrete"

Offline KC Parsons

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Eat. Move. Improve.
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2008, 05:26:34 PM »
It doesn't matter what people call Parkour. You think of it however you like. If you dont want to hear it, stop listening. Philosophy or Psychology? Forget about it and go run!

I semi-agree.....
I agree that you should get out there and train, regardless, however...
I don't agree that you should just disregard what your fellow traceurs think and feel about parkour itself. As much as Parkour is an extremely personal thing, it's also important to be tied to the community.  I stay decently updated on what's going on here, and listen to tthose with more experience in the art than I do. Learning from your elders (and those with less experience, as well) can be the source of some of the greatest progression you'll ever experience.

Offline Donovan Lynch

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2011, 12:11:59 AM »
i actually do consider it a philosophy. philosophy comes from the greek words "philo sophie," which is love of wisdom or knowledge. so a philosophy could be any structure or system of thought which pursues knowledge and wisdom. i think parkour is a great tool for self-discovery and the fact that it places so much emphasis on creativity and problem-solving makes it an ideal practice for pursuing wisdom.
It's not that you can't do it. you just don't know how

Offline Ryan Sannar

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Jump Utah
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2011, 09:25:42 AM »
If sophie is cute I would maybe love her.
10 push ups.

Offline Ryan Nicolai

• Ambassador
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Notorius Buttmunch
    • View Profile
    • Hehehe
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2011, 09:57:11 AM »
... I can appreciate Donovan's necro. He gives his opinion and makes a clear point. Please don't start making jokes without substance elsewhere in the post...

“The character that takes command in moments of crucial choices has already been determined by a thousand other choices made earlier in seemingly unimportant moments." ~ Ronald Reagan

Offline steve dahlin

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Parkour/Freerunning/Tricking
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2011, 02:35:10 PM »
psychologically, parkour boosts up your confidence level, and doing parkour in large groups increases your ability to communicate to strangers if that counts for anything
just some hidden benefits of parkour.
I like Tricking and Free Running, i don't think i actually do parkour, because i do it for fun and self expression, which would change the term to free running.

Offline Jarrett

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • snafu
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2011, 04:28:57 PM »
"Parkour is not what you make of it, it is not an art form like painting, it's nott expression. It's not even amindset or some stupid-ass training system for self improvement... Parkour is a discipline, it is real and it is a purpose, it is the desire to escape, reach, help, or defend, put into physical practice.
"I can't define a hero. All I know is that it's someone you probably don't notice, but when you find out what they did and how modestly they did it, you can never shake off the feeling that you're cut from a lesser cloth, and you find that braggarts suddenly offend you a great deal more than usual."

Offline steve dahlin

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2011, 09:51:26 PM »
"Parkour is not what you make of it, it is not an art form like painting, it's nott expression. It's not even amindset or some stupid-ass training system for self improvement... Parkour is a discipline, it is real and it is a purpose, it is the desire to escape, reach, help, or defend, put into physical practice.

Parkour transformed into something different since it was created.
I don't know ANYONE who practices parkour because of it's practicality.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 09:53:23 PM by Grip »
I like Tricking and Free Running, i don't think i actually do parkour, because i do it for fun and self expression, which would change the term to free running.

Offline Conrad Moser

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2011, 08:27:51 AM »
Then  please, by all means, provide us with the rules and regulations.
Age is just another obstacle. Get over it.

Offline Jarrett

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • snafu
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2011, 02:38:40 PM »
Parkour transformed into something different since it was created.
I don't know ANYONE who practices parkour because of it's practicality.

That was a quote from a book if you didn't know
"I can't define a hero. All I know is that it's someone you probably don't notice, but when you find out what they did and how modestly they did it, you can never shake off the feeling that you're cut from a lesser cloth, and you find that braggarts suddenly offend you a great deal more than usual."

Offline steve dahlin

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2011, 07:19:14 PM »
That was a quote from a book if you didn't know
Well if you return that book, place it in the fiction section.

Offline Jarrett

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • snafu
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2011, 07:45:43 PM »
Well if you return that book, place it in the fiction section.

It only readable online, sorry  ;D

Offline Conrad Moser

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2011, 08:40:35 PM »
It only readable online, sorry  ;D
Sounds like it's not even worth the paper it's printed on.
Age is just another obstacle. Get over it.