Author Topic: UPDATE - Cat Fountain, Precision Fountain and Skyline Park Renovation  (Read 15258 times)

Offline Derik (QuikSilva) DaSilva

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
Re: UPDATE - Cat Fountain, Precision Fountain and Skyline Park Renovation
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2008, 07:28:40 AM »
I think I speak for most beginners in this post: maybe we're not at that level... I have very little upper body muscular strength... I can barely do a cat grab now, and that doesn't include like a long distance cat grab (which I won't try for a while). Maybe some of us ARE 'afraid' of water....

For at least 6 months out of the year, water will NOT be running in Cat Fountain.  The point is, you will not have two spots in one..

I feel a bit insulted that you would post this, honestly.  Its like you didn't read my post at all, just read Xians while ignoring the points (that i thought were a bit more compelling).

I dunno, maybe you can elaborate?

Okay, I'll elaborate on your orignial post, then... I'm pretty new to the parkour scene, and I've become almost obssessed, and I started training after cat fountain was all fenced off and undergoing repairs, which means I never knew it before what it is now. My training is primarily summer based, which means, without any prior training of cat fountain, I'm going to have to test my might against water. OR, I could not hit cat fountain during the summer in order to avoid water, in which case I'll either have to deal with potential for snow or it's going to be balls cold outside and therefore my training there will be shorter than usual. (Not gonna lie, I can't last long outside in the cold. My hands would freeze up like no other.)

Also,
What I mean is that you should look at it like this:
implies that how beginners look at it and how 'veterans' look at it should be the same, even though we have different points of view. Some people see a precision jump in the same place someone will see a cat grab, just because they can't make that distance yet.

In the summer, it is filled with water that is pouring over the sides.  Cat-to-Cat and precisions are going to require more effort, control and fear management.  Its going to be an intense training spot.

Although I'm all for 'intense training spots', the fact that it will require more effort, control, and fear management leaves us beginners in the dark, because we're still working on effort, control, and fear management of less difficult training. Again this goes back to some of us never knowing Cat Fountain pre-construction.

In conclusion, it's very obvious Cat Fountain will never be the way it was. I can't just go to the construction guys and say, "Hey, would you mind destroying everything you've done so far just so I can see what it was like before?" Very unrealistic. My point is to make sure you think of the people who are still brand new and not wanting to completely destroy themselves before they get in the proper training. On a side note, as I said I'm still new, and I plan on going to the national jam. Obviously, Cat Fountain is on the to-do list, and, obviously, I'm going to be afraid, because I've never jammed there before AND I haven't included wet terrain in my training yet.

All in all, just think of the little guy when making remarks like 'I ain't afriad of no water' or 'you guys are being bitches'.

P.S. I know the 'bitches comment was out of jest, and I'm not complaining about that specfically, just the overall meaning of the message. Also, I hope this was elaborate enough. :P

Offline Chris Salvato

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Eat. Move. Improve.
    • View Profile
    • Chris Salvato
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2008, 09:02:47 PM »
Once again, i feel that you are ignoring what I am saying...

But i will still provide some cordial rebuttals...

Okay, I'll elaborate on your orignial post, then... I'm pretty new to the parkour scene, and I've become almost obssessed, and I started training after cat fountain was all fenced off and undergoing repairs, which means I never knew it before what it is now. My training is primarily summer based, which means, without any prior training of cat fountain, I'm going to have to test my might against water. OR, I could not hit cat fountain during the summer in order to avoid water, in which case I'll either have to deal with potential for snow or it's going to be balls cold outside and therefore my training there will be shorter than usual. (Not gonna lie, I can't last long outside in the cold. My hands would freeze up like no other.)

Primarily summer based training?  Why are you going to be hibernating in the winter? 

I am not sure that your point is so compelling here. 

Because you want to only train in the summer, you are going to sacrifice one of the best spots in the country while its dry?

Plus why on earth would you be only training in 1 season out of the year?  If you only want to train 3 months out of the year, then it seems like you aren't taking the sport so seriously (no offense intended at all) and missing out on just 1 more spot isn't going to make or break out. 

I see you post around on the boards and you seem to be very enthusiastic for the sport - do you really think you are going to stop training just because it gets a bit frigid?

If you train for 12 months out of the year, you will get Cat fountain both dry and wet that provides two separate training scenes....

i dunno, I am not too compelled by your point here...no offense intended again.

Also,
What I mean is that you should look at it like this:
implies that how beginners look at it and how 'veterans' look at it should be the same, even though we have different points of view. Some people see a precision jump in the same place someone will see a cat grab, just because they can't make that distance yet.

I disagree.  As two separate people we will have our own viewpoints.  The point of constructive discussion is to alter or compromise those views as more compelling points about each side are brought to light.

I was trying to give you perspective that you might not have considered before.  Perspective that should have been interesting to consider whether you were a beginner or veteran.

Don't think I am assuming that you and I need to have the same views just because I am trying to shed some light on another perspective that you likely didn't consider.

In the summer, it is filled with water that is pouring over the sides.  Cat-to-Cat and precisions are going to require more effort, control and fear management.  Its going to be an intense training spot.

Although I'm all for 'intense training spots', the fact that it will require more effort, control, and fear management leaves us beginners in the dark, because we're still working on effort, control, and fear management of less difficult training. Again this goes back to some of us never knowing Cat Fountain pre-construction.

You TOTALLY ignored the last part of my post.  It seems like you stopped reading as you got to this point.  We are talking about 3 months out of the year where more advanced people can have an even more intense training spot.  For the other NINE MONTHS it will be exactly as we have come to know and love it.

In conclusion, it's very obvious Cat Fountain will never be the way it was. I can't just go to the construction guys and say, "Hey, would you mind destroying everything you've done so far just so I can see what it was like before?" Very unrealistic. My point is to make sure you think of the people who are still brand new and not wanting to completely destroy themselves before they get in the proper training. On a side note, as I said I'm still new, and I plan on going to the national jam. Obviously, Cat Fountain is on the to-do list, and, obviously, I'm going to be afraid, because I've never jammed there before AND I haven't included wet terrain in my training yet.

All in all, just think of the little guy when making remarks like 'I ain't afriad of no water' or 'you guys are being bitches'.

P.S. I know the 'bitches comment was out of jest, and I'm not complaining about that specfically, just the overall meaning of the message. Also, I hope this was elaborate enough. :P

I don't think you have been around me enough to know my opinions of "little guys" yet.  I probably spend just as much time training my own techs at big jams as I do trying to help others who are less experienced than myself.  With that said, I am still a "little guy" of my own in very many ways.  I would never, ever, in my life, hate on someone for being less able than I am while making an effort to be more able than they currently are.

Saying "Cat Fountain will never be the way it was" is flat out ignoring my post.  Like...blatantly.  Cat fountain will be the exact same way it was for somewhere around 7-10 months out of the year.  2-5 months of losing a training spot (which will only be a loss within your first year of training) is not a big deal -- PLUS you will still have access to it dry as well...

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2008, 07:46:53 AM »
Okay. I'm going to admit that I did write that post while tired, and sleep deprivation obviously is not a good time to argue. :P But I see your point, and the main reason I said summer is my PRIMARY training time is because I prefer heat over cold. Once it starts to get frigid, I will most likely hibernate, but I don't know yet. I guess we'll see.

I guess the only point I'm trying to make is I wish I knew Cat Fountain before and after, but since I can't, I'm just going to have to deal with it. Reading the last two points, I'm beginning to think that I was only trying to be controversal instead of constructive, which is weird, because I almost never do that. Live and learn I guess. Thanks for putting up with my bullshit.. :P

P.S. Point taken, by the way. :)

Offline Wyo Daniel

• Guenons
    • View Profile
    • Wyoming Parkour
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2008, 01:38:07 PM »
Geez, guys, we're all in this forum because we love the same sport. Shouldn't that be enough to keep us from bumping heads? *group hug*
Front leaning rest position, move. In cadence!

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2008, 08:22:53 PM »
Geez, guys, we're all in this forum because we love the same sport. Shouldn't that be enough to keep us from bumping heads? *group hug*

I understand, but please stop touching me... :P

Offline Chris Salvato

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Eat. Move. Improve.
    • View Profile
    • Chris Salvato
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2008, 12:28:23 AM »

My tone was not intended to be argumentative in the least.  It was one of a friendly constructive discussion.

My tone rarely is hostile or argumentative. If it is, I will make that blatantly clear.  I apologize if I allowed it to be interpreted that way.

One last point...

I guess the only point I'm trying to make is I wish I knew Cat Fountain before and after, but since I can't, I'm just going to have to deal with it.

You will know cat fountain the way it was before.  Once they turn off the water, probably in the fall months - likely late October or so - it will be the exact same spot with the exception of new tile around the base instead of crappy gravel.

Offline Chris Parker

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2008, 08:37:39 PM »
my buddy and I are going there for the first time tomorrow, hopefully the water does not inhibit some techniques.
"A priest, rabbi, and Griff walk into a bar and I Kill them. And by them I mean Griff"
"I hope you brought your wallet, cause the rent in hell gets paid in advance!"
"I'm gonna rip off his partridge and kick him in the pear tree."
"Calling Doctor Sarge MD, prescription death, diagnosis SHOTGUN!"

Offline Ryan Ford

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • APEX Movement
« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2008, 09:10:05 PM »
unfortunately it pretty much inhibits all of them. not to say you cant still do stuff, or do different stuff, but its entirely different than the dry fountain.

Offline Jake Smith

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2008, 12:51:29 PM »
unfortunately it pretty much inhibits all of them. not to say you cant still do stuff, or do different stuff, but its entirely different than the dry fountain.

Cool.  I want to go get soaked.
I have to return some videotapes.

Offline inpherno

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2008, 05:39:37 AM »
That's awesome! Thank you Chris for looking into this.  I have fond memories of those areas from my childhood.  Here's to making a few more.

Offline Tyler Teigen

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2008, 11:28:26 AM »
yesterday while i was jamming with a few people some guy was telling us that their turning the water off the fourth

Offline Tyler Teigen

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 06, 2008, 07:29:48 PM »
unfortunately the d-bag at percision fountain who told me that lied. i went there today and as a matter a fact the water was on. [WTF] grrrrrrrrrrr........sorry guys.

Offline Chris Parker

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 07, 2008, 06:47:10 PM »
so is the fountain still on?
"A priest, rabbi, and Griff walk into a bar and I Kill them. And by them I mean Griff"
"I hope you brought your wallet, cause the rent in hell gets paid in advance!"
"I'm gonna rip off his partridge and kick him in the pear tree."
"Calling Doctor Sarge MD, prescription death, diagnosis SHOTGUN!"

Offline Christian Greene

• Awesomely Epic
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • APEX Movement Team
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #34 on: September 07, 2008, 07:32:59 PM »
Tsk tsk its going to freeze soon >.< ahha. Thats good though I still havent gotten a chance to see the water >.<

Offline Tyler Teigen

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 08, 2008, 01:02:41 PM »
unfortunately the water is still on and it more than likely wont freeze beacuse it is in constant motion

Offline Chris Salvato

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Eat. Move. Improve.
    • View Profile
    • Chris Salvato
« Reply #36 on: September 08, 2008, 08:17:13 PM »
They won't keep it running all winter.  Probably will be off by the third week of the month if i had to guess...

Offline Christian Greene

• Awesomely Epic
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • APEX Movement Team
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #37 on: September 13, 2008, 08:47:57 PM »
Still not off. Went there for the first time since the water's been on today it really limits the old techniques quite a bit. You can still do alot if you dont mind being SOAKED.  You cans till do all the old cat leaps but when you land in your hold you get a big splash all over you as the water runs down the sides and the tops of the grates where you  grab are completely underwater, and like a big wave splashes out when you grab. A couple of the original jumps are still dry the outer ones.  but yeah i went for an old school cat leap and got soaked, my shoes shorts and wristbands were soaked haha. Feels good though ^_^ Definitly an interesting experience

Offline Jake Smith

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 19, 2008, 10:16:42 PM »
Yeah dude.  I was there the other day with Matt and Camilo and Chase and we all did freeze-out cat-hangs.  There's still lots of fun you can have there.  Especially if you love the wetness.  Which I do.
I have to return some videotapes.

Offline Jake Vigil

• Epically Awesome
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Be the Change you wish to see in the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 21, 2008, 05:10:05 PM »
They're off now, for the winter I think. It has been off for a few days now, I was down there a few days ago taking some pictures for the school newspaper (I am going to be featured in the sports section... Hooraay!).
Life is what you make of it.
Training Log