Author Topic: UPDATE - Cat Fountain, Precision Fountain and Skyline Park Renovation  (Read 15291 times)

Offline Chris Salvato

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Eat. Move. Improve.
    • View Profile
    • Chris Salvato
i couldn't find the original thread, probably because I didn't look too hard :P

I wanted to let everyone in CO know that I made some phone calls today about our beloved Cat Fountain and when it will actually be open.

I found out that Cat Fountain stopped running about 7-8 years ago.  Since the democratic national convention (DNC) is coming to town, they want downtown Denver to not look shitty -- so they want to have it up and running well before the convention starts, which is in August.

With that said, the definite projection date is Aug 1 and if that date is NOT met then the whole point of having it up and running by the DNC will be null and void.  So that is GOOD news because our date of the Aug 8-10 National Jam means that the fountain will be up and running and no longer fenced off!!!

But, will it be legal for people to be jumping and running through the fountain?  The answer is YES.

The original intent of Cat Fountain was so that people could walk through it, thats why there are all those little platforms there.  The bottom of the fountain will be filled with water and the little platforms act as bridges that people can walk through.  The guy I spoke with on the phone said that running and jumping on the fountain won't be discouraged, at ALL since this was the original intent of the fountain.

Precision Fountain should ALSO be up and running by Aug 8-10.  This means that precision fountain will now have water flowing down the stairs. 

Both fountains have no water spouts that shoot out.  All of the water flows down in a laminar fashion (meaning smooth and controlled).  The water will be flowing out of the top (and they will likely be replacing the grates..) and overflowing down the sides.  This means that you can still practice cat to cat and other cool techniques there if you don't mind getting wet.  The techs will also be harder to execute since water will be running all over, which means us CO Traceurs will be even more badass :P

The guy I spoke with has pics of the fountain running from the 80s.  He is going to send them to me via email and I will post them up here once i get them.

This is great news and now i am even more psyched to get this fountain up and running!

Offline Ryan Ford

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • APEX Movement
sounds like good news although i wouldnt actually expect them to let us have free parkour reign on the area like that guy may have implied. thanks for looking into it chris!

Offline Chris Salvato

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Eat. Move. Improve.
    • View Profile
    • Chris Salvato
dude, i got the pics...

People were jumping around on this thing in the pics too, back in the 80s.

I'm going to host them and post them up -- i really think that jumping around these things is not going to be a problem at all, according to these pics anyway..

then again, the 80s were filled with playgrounds covered in cement and metal bars with no soft padding or wood chips, so they might be beefing up the rules a bit :P

PsykoZinga

Chris, I think I love you. j/k, but seriously, that is awesome news.. ever since I heard of cat fountain on this site (I joined a few months ago) I've wanted to jump it... I searched downtown and must have a borrowed Sparrow's retarded compass because I couldn't find it... until Matt showed me, and now, I want to play on it more than ever... thanks for clarifying, and hopefully people can keep their eyes open and post when the official 'open' date is (assuming they can fix it before August 1. I'd hate to wait until a week before COPK to hit the fountain, you know?)... Thanks again, Chris!

Offline Chris Salvato

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Eat. Move. Improve.
    • View Profile
    • Chris Salvato
Photos.  Parkour acceptable, according to these.

Look at the people all jumping around!

Here is precision fountain with running water...

Apparently, Cat Fountain used to be way cooler too.  That whole part this is grass now used to be another fountain with rocks and a waterfall.  Check out old photos and aerial views.

Sigh, those look so cool, too...but were ripped up because they stopped working and the tenants in the building thought they were ugly.

Oh well, we still get a badass, cool down parkour spot out of it!

« Last Edit: June 26, 2008, 01:19:11 PM by Chris Salvato »

Offline Jus7in

• Patas
    • View Profile
    • myspace
Do you know what times the water stops flowing? They can't keep the thing running constantly can they, because that looks like a boat load of water coming down the sides.
W.W.O.D. - What Would Oleg Do

Offline Chris Salvato

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Eat. Move. Improve.
    • View Profile
    • Chris Salvato
probably recirculating filtered water, like in a pool....not constant fresh water.  It would probably run 24 hours until winter time when they would drain it, i assume.

Offline Zane (NoClaim)

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
HOLY SHIT!
haha
my god that looks awesome..
bummer they tore down the old stuff.. looked alot cooler and looked like alot more fun.
oh wellll..
Chris,
you made my day bro!
haha
im TOO psyched to jam the fountains once they have water in them.
 ;D ;D ;D
The goal, the goal is something that shines bright.

But the path, the path seems to be the only fun part of any of it anymore.  Winding, twisting: over, under, and through.  My means and my jorney, is that where the true goal shines?

Offline Brian Orosco

• Guenons
    • View Profile
    • MySpace
Wow! That looks sooo much different! Why did they end up changing it? That's annoying.

As far as the water goes, I dunno. Last year it was tough enough having that many people climbing all over it, and then you add the water and it eliminates a large portion of what we can use... especially cats. But the flipside is that if it's running and we just wanna use it as a cool off location (like the fountain at the Philly Jam) that could be cool.  Long and short of it, I don't see it being a majority destination as it would be when it's dry. I'll just keep my fingers crossed that they can't get it flowing by Aug 1!

Offline Brandon Blessing

• Guenons
    • View Profile
    • Colorado Parkour
The immediate area surrounding the fountain is being completely tiled. No more dirt.

Offline Chris Salvato

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Eat. Move. Improve.
    • View Profile
    • Chris Salvato
Re: UPDATE - Cat Fountain, Precision Fountain and Skyline Park Renovation
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2008, 05:40:45 PM »
if its not open on aug 1 it will still be fenced off..

Offline Christian Greene

• Awesomely Epic
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • APEX Movement Team
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2008, 06:12:15 PM »
The immediate area surrounding the fountain is being completely tiled. No more dirt.

THATS gonna be interesting.

Offline Brandon Blessing

• Guenons
    • View Profile
    • Colorado Parkour
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2008, 09:15:42 PM »
I was around there yesterday or the day before and the fences were mostly down, there was a sign posted stating it would be done on Aug. 1st and asking people to respect the fountain and keep off so work could get done on time.

Offline Brandon Blessing

• Guenons
    • View Profile
    • Colorado Parkour
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2008, 08:37:23 PM »

Offline Derik (QuikSilva) DaSilva

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2008, 08:50:21 PM »
I never knew cat fountain before the tiles or the construction, but I hope it will not affect my ability to jam there when it's open again...

Offline Wyo Daniel

• Guenons
    • View Profile
    • Wyoming Parkour
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2008, 11:16:13 AM »
if its not open on aug 1 it will still be fenced off..
And when did fences start being an insurmountable obstacle for traceurs? =P

No, seriously, it's cool that it will be opened up, but, as someone else observed, the water will really limit what we can use. =/
Front leaning rest position, move. In cadence!

Offline Chris Salvato

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Eat. Move. Improve.
    • View Profile
    • Chris Salvato
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2008, 06:59:16 PM »
personally, i think you guys are being bitches :P

Ok maybe that was a bit harsh :D

What I mean is that you should look at it like this:

Cat Fountain is now probably one of the most diverse parkour training spots in the whole united states.

In the summer, it is filled with water that is pouring over the sides.  Cat-to-Cat and precisions are going to require more effort, control and fear management.  Its going to be an intense training spot.

In the fall/winter/early spring, the water stops flowing and you get to use cat fountain as you always had except it will be all newly done.

Its like getting another spot built into one

EDIT: Wrote NOT instead of NOW...
« Last Edit: July 25, 2008, 11:43:45 PM by Chris Salvato »

Offline Christian Greene

• Awesomely Epic
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • APEX Movement Team
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2008, 07:29:03 PM »
haha agreed, im not afraid of some WATER  ;D

Offline Derik (QuikSilva) DaSilva

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2008, 09:06:54 PM »
I think I speak for most beginners in this post: maybe we're not at that level... I have very little upper body muscular strength... I can barely do a cat grab now, and that doesn't include like a long distance cat grab (which I won't try for a while). Maybe some of us ARE 'afraid' of water....

Offline Chris Salvato

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Eat. Move. Improve.
    • View Profile
    • Chris Salvato
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2008, 11:45:21 PM »
I think I speak for most beginners in this post: maybe we're not at that level... I have very little upper body muscular strength... I can barely do a cat grab now, and that doesn't include like a long distance cat grab (which I won't try for a while). Maybe some of us ARE 'afraid' of water....

For at least 6 months out of the year, water will NOT be running in Cat Fountain.  The point is, you will not have two spots in one..

I feel a bit insulted that you would post this, honestly.  Its like you didn't read my post at all, just read Xians while ignoring the points (that i thought were a bit more compelling).

I dunno, maybe you can elaborate?