Author Topic: A very bad example  (Read 5366 times)

Offline Ozzi

• Sexability Head Coach
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • HIpk
    • View Profile
    • Hawaii Parkour
Re: A very bad example
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2008, 02:40:17 PM »
I wanted to see the reacting before I posted it, because weather or not that articles exists they are still a bad example video to be out there. The article just makes it even worse.
"Be the change you want to see in the world"
 Ghandi

shadow1234

« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2008, 03:26:56 PM »
Actually now I feel like the dumbass lol because I actually watched the video closely this time and I didn't realize how cool they tried to make themselves look with all the text captions like "time 4 rooftops!! 8)"

Whoops lol. Now I'm disgusted with this garbage as well.

Offline Steve Zavitz

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2008, 05:32:27 PM »
I must say that when I first started reading this post, I thought it was pretty useless.  I'm still pretty new to this and I tape my movements all the time.  Watching myself has been an extremely important part of my learning process, and it also helps document my progress.  However, after reading on, I realized that this is more than just criticism.  I completely agree that these videos and that article are projecting an extremely negative view onto Parkour and Free running.  I always assumed that it was common sense not to jump from rooftop to rooftop; I'm still afraid of anything over about 10-15 feet.  I guess I was wrong though, because there are plenty of kids out there that are taping themselves jumping off of buildings.  This common (and dangerous) misconception is really permeating society right now.  When I tell people I meet about Parkour, they usually say something like, "Oh, you mean that crazy shit where you jump off buildings and stuff?"  I've even met a few people that claimed to be "traceurs" who quit after breaking a leg or spraining an ankle from a rooftop dive.

The question I want to pose is how do we fix this negative perception?  There are a ton of great traceurs out there who are training hard and showing their communities Parkour in a positive light, but can we really do anything about some random kids posting a misleading video on Youtube?  I don't mean to sound so hopeless, but I really can't think of a way to monitor these kinds of things.  I'm open to any suggestions, though.  What do you all think?

Offline Ozzi

• Sexability Head Coach
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • HIpk
    • View Profile
    • Hawaii Parkour
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2008, 05:42:23 PM »
All we can really do is to friendly commenting on their videos leading them to some videos showing some more accurate training methods hoping they will get the idea.
 Ghandi

shadow1234

« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2008, 06:10:56 PM »
Agreed, it would be an impossible task to try to instill everyone with what we consider the correct mindset for the practitioner of parkour. I think the main thing to do is just to make sure that when people ask you about your training you paint a good picture for them. Other than that, I don't really think it is necessary or important for the people hear at APK worrying about having to spread the true meaning of PK to everyone. I think as long as we just worry about ourselves we'll be just fine. Besides, it's not like we have to hang out with or associate with the sell outs right?

Offline Paul Bischoff

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2008, 08:06:47 PM »
Could someone with some credibility (maybe a mod or admin) send a letter to that newspaper (or whatever it was), refuting this as parkour and setting them straight?  Who knows? Maybe they will publish it.
I don't want to be a product of my environment.  I want my environment to be a product of me.

Offline Muhammad

• Hirundo Rustica
  • London, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2008, 10:27:24 PM »
man, forget ya'll.

ya'lls forgettin your ROOTS

word to that.

these guys look like what almost all of you looked like when you first started, because the majority of you did not have access to proper training methods when you started, and many still probably don't. i don't think this video was made in America either.

Offline Muhammad

• Hirundo Rustica
  • London, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2008, 10:32:54 PM »
Reasons why I posted this.

Main one.
http://www.newburytoday.co.uk/News/Article.aspx?articleID=6991

2- This is the best of their vids, the other ones are them just jumping of roofs. When I saw this one I thought, well that is much better but then... again, doing things way out of their skill level.

3- What would happen if beginners see this, is this parkour? I seriously dont care if you think I am errogant, rude or even immature because I posted this.

4- I was hoping this kids were registered here, yes I was. Because either the bad publicity they gave to PK and his wrong training methods are going to get them in trouble.

5- it is not skill what I am criticizing but mindset.

This is just an example of what not to do, period.

Someone said, at the beginning we are all like that. Maybe some, but not all. I can show you a vid of me that really sucks... like really. I can also find others vids on line way worse than this, but the fact that this kids think parkour is about making it to the other side of a dead defying jump.

This kids are just really a bad example.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXo4xEOMqLM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXo4xEOMqLM

these guys are definitely going to learn the hard way if someone doesn't intercept them.

Offline Ozzi

• Sexability Head Coach
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • HIpk
    • View Profile
    • Hawaii Parkour
« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2008, 01:07:23 AM »
these guys look like what almost all of you looked like when you first started,

I have prove about my beginnings and that was not anything like me. I agree though, some people tend to look very funny at first but some are just smarter when they start they start.
 Ghandi

Offline Patrick Holten (Denver Family) Flux Freerunning

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Life on the run.
    • View Profile
    • Ya!!! Youtube!!!
« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2008, 09:47:51 PM »
I am more ashamed about my first vid personally, it is titled Rooftop Parkour lol, I went wrong with the first thing about the vid to say the least!!! But hey, it was fun making it at the time. ::) Here it is lol, don't hate me!:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4x5o4AH1jvw
« Last Edit: June 16, 2008, 11:00:56 AM by Patrick Holten »
"Live what you love."- Me, Patrick Holten
WHAT I LOVE...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aiviEs4zmNo
DENVER FAMILY PRESENTS: FLUX FREE RUNNING

Offline Muhammad

• Hirundo Rustica
  • London, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 15, 2008, 10:01:45 PM »
that was classic.

Offline Max Powers

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2008, 11:55:40 PM »
I am more ashamed about my first vid personally, it is titled Rooftop PArkour lol, I went wrong with the first thing about the vid to say the least!!! But hey, it was makin it at the time. ::) Here it is lol, don't hate me!:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4x5o4AH1jvw

that video made me want to kill myself. if that was your first video you obviously got into parkour for the wrong reasons.

and please clarify to me what: "But hey, it was makin it at the time. ::)" means.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2008, 11:59:39 PM by Max Powers »

Offline Chris Wachtman

• Patas
  • biketheusforms.org/cyclists/detail.asp?cid=72
    • View Profile
    • I Has Blog
« Reply #32 on: June 16, 2008, 12:10:20 AM »
Patrick, your video does not bother me nearly as much as the first one. While rooftops are a silly place to learn parkour and can be very dangerous, you didnt look like you were putting yourself at great risk. There are a couple drops in there that I would discourage, but you avoided doing stunts based around life threatening drops. Also, you have MUCH better form than "The 3Runnin Boiz"
They call me SPYDER.

Safety, Progression, Repetition, Natural Movement.

Offline Jesse Clark

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
    • APEX Movement Loveland
« Reply #33 on: June 16, 2008, 05:24:23 AM »
I think we all should take a step back and look at this with a more clear view.

As of our current status in the spread of parkour: we are walking on needles.
These kids; DO NOT HELP.
Yes; while most of us did not start out as Oleg Vorslav, we can all agree that we're getting better.

One screw up by these kids (or anyone training incorrectly) could result in a death, or more than one death. Perhaps the death or serious injury of someone not even involved. (Falling on a car/person, etc.) That one or more death could lead that city council into banning parkour. Thus begins our negative campaign and we are all gonna be struggling. All because these kids are focusing on the camera, not the technique. All because they're focusing on the pretty little girl that's never going to talk to them, not the jump before them.

If you're a beginner, I'm not saying don't push your limits. And I'm not saying don't use the blessing of film to help work on form. I'm just saying, don't post it up for the world to see it so you can stroke your ego. If we're honest with ourselves we'll see that the only reason we posted videos as beginners, was to get props from the big boys and make ourselves look purty. That in itself is the wrong way to go about it.

Thank you for reading.
Whether you believe you can do it or you believe you can't; you're right.

Offline Patrick Holten (Denver Family) Flux Freerunning

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Life on the run.
    • View Profile
    • Ya!!! Youtube!!!
« Reply #34 on: June 16, 2008, 11:12:12 AM »
I am more ashamed about my first vid personally, it is titled Rooftop PArkour lol, I went wrong with the first thing about the vid to say the least!!! But hey, it was makin it at the time. ::) Here it is lol, don't hate me!:

that video made me want to kill myself. if that was your first video you obviously got into parkour for the wrong reasons.

and please clarify to me what: "But hey, it was makin it at the time. ::)" means.

Hey man, no need for the harsh criticism I said don't hate me! I was narrow minded with PK back then, I didn't have the "Parkour Vision" so I turned to the rooftops. ::) I posted this video to show there is no need for rooftops when training. And no, I did get into it for the right reason bro! Just like every one who starts, you mature with time, and I have now. Everything happens for a reason my friend. Peace, and best of luck with your PK journey!!! ;D
"Live what you love."- Me, Patrick Holten
WHAT I LOVE...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aiviEs4zmNo
DENVER FAMILY PRESENTS: FLUX FREE RUNNING

Offline Sweet_T

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 16, 2008, 12:10:41 PM »
Wow, and I thought I was reckless to try a drop equal to my height onto wood chips when it was only my second time trying rolls.

We shouldn't ridicule them for being bad.  I'm only a little bit better than they are, and if we're honest there are a lot of newbies that aren't up to the technical level of "The 3Runnin Boiz".  However, they are being grossly reckless and negligent of their safety and the safety of others.

Sadly, it usually takes a painful lesson to turn someone from the "monkey see, monkey do" and "how hard can it be?" mentality to seeking professional guidance.  The first time I tried parkour, I was merely attempting to copy what I saw on youtube videos.  I got a couple of minor (but pretty painful) injuries and a bruised ego for it.  That was what caused me to search for a community that could help me improve, and I found APK.

Offline zuzma

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2008, 10:17:03 PM »
i understood you from the start ozzi. their mindset and philosophy is an embarassment
There is something inside of us greater than any obstacle