Author Topic: A very bad example  (Read 5375 times)

Offline Ozzi

• Sexability Head Coach
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • HIpk
    • View Profile
    • Hawaii Parkour
A very bad example
« on: June 12, 2008, 02:13:38 AM »
« Last Edit: June 12, 2008, 02:10:11 PM by Ozzi »
"Be the change you want to see in the world"
 Ghandi

Offline Chris Wachtman

• Patas
  • biketheusforms.org/cyclists/detail.asp?cid=72
    • View Profile
    • I Has Blog
Re: Seriously?!?!?!?!?!
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2008, 02:41:35 AM »
I agree, this seems to be the "Monkey See, Monkey Try-To-Do" approach to parkour.
They dont know what they're doing, and they are putting themselves at great risk in the process.

It is simply the wrong approach.
They call me SPYDER.

Safety, Progression, Repetition, Natural Movement.

Offline Down87

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2008, 04:55:28 AM »
The flow of their movement was spectacular. ::)

I really hope this isn't what parkour will turn into, because thats not what it is. I hope kids don't continue climbing onto roofs and have a little more common sense.

Offline JumpOff

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2008, 06:06:33 AM »
man, forget ya'll.

ya'lls forgettin your ROOTS

I don't see what was so seriously wrong with that video.  They look like a bunch of beginners...They're out and about trying things. And to be honest, they are experimenting with alot of differnt movements in that vid. It's not like it's just all jumping from high things; they are trying climbups, cat grabs, vaults, rolls, leaps, underbars.

Who amongst you can say that you were not like this at some point.

There's a difference between a bad video and a beginner video.

As a matter of fact, i'm going to unlock my 'first vid' on youtube, so here you go:
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=056Y91mxHM8

so dont be so quick to hate before you relate yourself.

Peter Griffin's guide to weightlifting:
"The key is to put it all in your groin and your back, take your legs totally out of the equation, lift with your lower back in a jerking twisting motion"

Offline AN D

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2008, 07:46:19 AM »
not to sound rude, but I don't really see what the point is in posting up "bad" parkour videos. How is that accomplishing anything good?
Our community is supposed to be supportive and helpful, not just make fun of people who are not good at the discipline. 
Sending them a message with CONSTRUCTIVE criticism and warning them about the dangers of parkour is one thing, but spending the time to take their video and post it up on this website so you can show everyone how "bad" it is is not only rude, inconsiderate, and a waste of time,  but it also reflects a bad image on the apk community as a whole.

Ozzi, I know you are a very dedicated and talented traceur and I respect you a lot, but I don't see the point of this post....

Offline James Rivard

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
    • My personal nutritional support site.
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2008, 08:17:56 AM »
Great insight An D, and I think you had it right when mentioning constructive criticism. What I think Ozzi was bringing to the table was the fact that people who are that "bad" (inexperienced) should not be taping anything and instead be actually training. Getting together with your friends and taping yourselves lighting farts would get just as many hits on YouTube as a shitty video of ten year olds who labeled it "Best Parkour Ever!"

Video cameras in general should more often that not be kept away from kids.

What we really need to convey to the beginners is that you shouldn't care about highlight reels and anniversary tapes. Get outside and train your ass off...make it to a jam and let others see your progress. That way people can learn by example the proper way.
Just MHO...
No amount of training should ever outweigh your amount of belief.

Offline JumpOff

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2008, 08:29:12 AM »
Video cameras in general should more often that not be kept away from kids.

haha, I agree whole FARTedly HAHAHA

But yeah,

cameras are an EXCELLENT tool in learning your own technique (a most essential tool in tricking and kicking)

and its just fun to tape yourself sometimes. especially with buds!

but i also do agree that there are some STUPID videos on youtube.

But thats why I keep most vids i dont think worthy of wasting peoples time locked in youtube.
Its fun for me and friends to watch, but it doesn't need to be wasting space and time with anyone else.

"The key is to put it all in your groin and your back, take your legs totally out of the equation, lift with your lower back in a jerking twisting motion"

Offline Josh Maciel

• Hirundo Rustica
  • You lied to me. -Caboose
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2008, 08:34:11 AM »
man, forget ya'll.

ya'lls forgettin your ROOTS

I don't see what was so seriously wrong with that video.  They look like a bunch of beginners...They're out and about trying things. And to be honest, they are experimenting with alot of differnt movements in that vid. It's not like it's just all jumping from high things; they are trying climbups, cat grabs, vaults, rolls, leaps, underbars.

Who amongst you can say that you were not like this at some point.

There's a difference between a bad video and a beginner video.

As a matter of fact, i'm going to unlock my 'first vid' on youtube, so here you go:
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=056Y91mxHM8

so dont be so quick to hate before you relate yourself.

i can honestly say i was never like the kids in the video at anypoint that i can remember in my life. I started parkour when i was 15 and was doing better stuff a lot better stuff than that...im not saying that isnt normal but you cant say everyone was like that when they started to do parkour. Its like what cwacht said...its the monkey see monkey do...but if you actually study and try to learn before doing...you have a better shot of not being like the kids in the video
There is no past, there is no future, there is only the present because that is all that matters.

A bad Traucer does a technique until he gets it right. A good Traucer does it until he can not get it wrong.-David Belle

Offline JumpOff

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2008, 09:17:33 AM »
bullshit.

even people with 'natural talent' had to start SOMEWHERE.

you may have been 15 but at some point in your physical life, you would have had to have learned to move first.

I mean I agree that it's nice to do a little research, butttt  the best way to learn something is to TRY it.  I mean obviously these kids have seen some vids and have a general idea of what their doing. You can't expect them to read every little article on how to do a vault before they want to go out and run around.

No matter how many times you read how to do a muscle up; how many posts you put online; how many other people you see doing it, you're NEVER going to be able to do one, until you go out and try it.

Offline Daniel Arroyo

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2008, 10:10:05 AM »
Jumpoff, I really do understand where you are coming from but I seriously think that Ozzi (other people for that matter) should be posting vids like this for a bunch of reasons. For one, let every one see both sides of the spectrum, the good and the bad parkour; and two we need to show all of the beginners on APK that this is not the right approach, it is because when people first start out they don't read all the articles and things, they mostly stay in the pics/vids section so if Ozzi post this up and they read that we think this is wrong then they will take into consideration what we are saying and not do it! I myself never did any roofs when I first started; I actually researched everything I could about Parkour, FreeRunning, Tricking, Martial Arts, etc.. So again in reiteration I understand you (JUMPOFF/AN D) but please take into consideration the benefits of Ozzi displaying the reasons why this is bad; he is actually helping WAY more then he is hurting anything! So to all the beginners on APK please please take into condsideration that this video is not what Parkour is all about!

"The only boundaries you have are the ones that are present with in the constraints of your mind" My quote!

Offline Josh Maciel

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2008, 10:25:42 AM »
Im also with Danny on this...but another thing is...I really dont like how you say one thing and someone blows it out of proportion

I've been training for two years...I know that the best way to learn something is to do it...but in order to get it the way YOU want it you have to learn what you are doing wrong and thats where studying can help you...but not even studying is important as visualizing every exact detail of what you are trying to do. Visualizing is one of the best non-physical ways of training. It prepares you for what you are gonna do and can actually trick your mind into thinking you are actually doing it. The mind doesn't really know the difference between reality and a visualization...it just processes.
There is no past, there is no future, there is only the present because that is all that matters.

A bad Traucer does a technique until he gets it right. A good Traucer does it until he can not get it wrong.-David Belle

Offline JumpOff

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2008, 10:44:11 AM »
I've been training for two years...I know that the best way to learn something is to do it...but in order to get it the way YOU want it you have to learn what you are doing wrong and thats where studying can help you...but not even studying is important as visualizing every exact detail of what you are trying to do. Visualizing is one of the best non-physical ways of training. It prepares you for what you are gonna do and can actually trick your mind into thinking you are actually doing it. The mind doesn't really know the difference between reality and a visualization...it just processes.

I'm still trying to understand the point here, but i'll come back to that.

Daniel,
Although I understand the notion that everyone is trying to help, the problem is that you guys are trying to impose.
All you agree that it is good that they are trying things, but that they should RESEARCH, READ THIS, READ THAT, PAY AND TAKE A CLASS (etc etc)

it is because when people first start out they don't read all the articles and things, they mostly stay in the pics/vids section so if Ozzi post this up and they read that we think this is wrong then they will take into consideration what we are saying and not do it!

People don't HAVE to read articles to figure out how to do something.  As you said, there's a very visual aspect to human learning.

and two we need to show all of the beginners on APK that this is not the right approach
Who are YOU or anyone on APK to say what the right and wrong approach is? True, there is an approach that could lead to injury, but it doesn't look like they are doing too badly off. They will learn with time!

The problem here is that you guys are judging them based on NOTHING.

Did they come here and say they were the best freerunners around? no
Did they come asking for parkour articles? no
Did they ask to be critiqued? no (which usually isnt the case with UK youtube whores)

Theres a HUGE scene in the UK for parkour and freerunning, and these boys obviously know how to use the internet.  If they were looking for articles or help, they would have found it by now.

that being said, I still think it's wrong to be singling them out of the millions of videos on youtube, and that it isnt right for any one here to say what they're doing "right" and "wrong"

Offline Chris Wachtman

• Patas
  • biketheusforms.org/cyclists/detail.asp?cid=72
    • View Profile
    • I Has Blog
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2008, 10:48:52 AM »
It is important to note the significance of the group. This group, the Free Running Boiz, was mentioned in a news article posted on another thread. The point is that they are actively generating a negative image of parkour for the people in their area.

Here is the thread:
http://www.americanparkour.com/smf/index.php?topic=10575.msg127114#msg127114

Here is the article:
http://www.newburytoday.co.uk/News/Article.aspx?articleID=6991
They call me SPYDER.

Safety, Progression, Repetition, Natural Movement.

Offline JumpOff

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2008, 10:52:43 AM »
Well, THAT makes it a little different.

but that's also a bit fault of the reporters lack of research and proper interviewees.

Offline Josh Maciel

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2008, 11:03:53 AM »
Yes that is true...it does make a difference but...

and two we need to show all of the beginners on APK that this is not the right approach
Who are YOU or anyone on APK to say what the right and wrong approach is? True, there is an approach that could lead to injury, but it doesn't look like they are doing too badly off. They will learn with time!
[/quote]

...What do you mean it doesn't look like they doing too badly off...they are jumping roof gaps when they are starting off.isn't that an approach that could lead to injury...they aren't taking the right approach to it. What they are doing is just jumping around...yes they are trying but they just taking the wrong approach to learning it

shadow1234

« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2008, 11:23:53 AM »
The baddest PK ever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZTibCw1qhU

most immature thread ever more like it.

Offline James Bazil Bianco

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2008, 12:52:51 PM »
I wont disagree that its a bad video in many ways, worst? No. Instead of sitting her talking about the validity of the thread we should be talking to those who made the video and try to explain proper approach they should take in training.
Think critically!

For Here Be Dragons...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKdG7yGi0KA

Offline Chance B.

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2008, 01:20:24 PM »
I wont disagree that its a bad video in many ways, worst? No. Instead of sitting her talking about the validity of the thread we should be talking to those who made the video and try to explain proper approach they should take in training.

I have to agree with that. I was glad when I found this forum; I had ideas and ways of training but it helped me put them together in a marginally organized way...if that makes since.
Run free or die a captive.

OldDog

I like Bike-Skates

Offline Ozzi

• Sexability Head Coach
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • HIpk
    • View Profile
    • Hawaii Parkour
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2008, 02:09:54 PM »
Reasons why I posted this.

Main one.
http://www.newburytoday.co.uk/News/Article.aspx?articleID=6991

2- This is the best of their vids, the other ones are them just jumping of roofs. When I saw this one I thought, well that is much better but then... again, doing things way out of their skill level.

3- What would happen if beginners see this, is this parkour? I seriously dont care if you think I am errogant, rude or even immature because I posted this.

4- I was hoping this kids were registered here, yes I was. Because either the bad publicity they gave to PK and his wrong training methods are going to get them in trouble.

5- it is not skill what I am criticizing but mindset.

This is just an example of what not to do, period.

Someone said, at the beginning we are all like that. Maybe some, but not all. I can show you a vid of me that really sucks... like really. I can also find others vids on line way worse than this, but the fact that this kids think parkour is about making it to the other side of a dead defying jump.

This kids are just really a bad example.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXo4xEOMqLM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXo4xEOMqLM
« Last Edit: June 12, 2008, 02:13:30 PM by Ozzi »
"Be the change you want to see in the world"
 Ghandi

shadow1234

Re: A very bad example
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2008, 02:28:54 PM »
Hmmm, well now that you say that it makes more sense, but perhaps you should have written that when you posted. Otherwise, it just looked like you were trying to criticize some beginning traceurs.