Author Topic: Build our own Playground *Important*  (Read 13786 times)

Offline Ozzi

• Sexability Head Coach
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • HIpk
    • View Profile
    • Hawaii Parkour
Re: Build our own Playground *Important*
« Reply #80 on: June 25, 2008, 12:39:30 PM »
You dont need to pay insurance for every person.

You need them signing a waiver and having a full coverage teaching insurance yourself to cover anyone under your teaching time.
"Be the change you want to see in the world"
 Ghandi

Offline Matt Hudson

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Paddy O'Hayes
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #81 on: June 25, 2008, 08:18:05 PM »
Just for my own records I'm on page 2, just finished tanyas post.
I haven't had time to read through all of this yet, but I do have a proposal.

I'll draw up a plan, blueprints, and idea, whatever you wish to call it.
I'll include, everything I can come up with, including something similar to the dame du lac, well not similar, but I will draw a big thingy, I cant think of the word right now.

I'll do all of this tonight, go ahead and post what you'd like to see in this.

once I have drawn it, we'll be able to make a rough guesstimate of the construction costs. I may build it around my old school size, or somewhere around the area of a 50 yard fb field. unno right now.
But I also want to know what you guys would like to  have in this.

btw, as far as I'm considered, this may take years to accomplish.(getting the park created) so this is just ideas, and wishful thinking right now.
And I need to get my mind of my article, it's killing me right now(writers block, forgot a lot of what I wanted to write)

I'll post a reply that isnt so useless when I've read through all the posts tomorrow.

-Peace

Offline Jordan "Sirlig" Nelson

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
    • Oklahoma Parkour
« Reply #82 on: June 26, 2008, 12:00:56 AM »
Hate to be nag, and I know you probably didn't see my previous posts Paddy, but...

site first, site first, site first.

Big ideas are good, but construction costs? It's nowhere near finite enough to determine those.  I could draw up a "dream" place too and put in everything I wanted to, ignoring space, site, and context, but it simply won't get built.  If not because of cost, because of municipal planning committees shooting it down.

Site first.
"Art reaches its greatest peak when devoid of self-consciousness.  Freedom discovers man the moment he loses concern over what impression he is making or about to make."  --Bruce Lee

www.freewebs.com/oklahomaparkour

Offline Matt Hudson

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Paddy O'Hayes
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #83 on: June 26, 2008, 11:31:36 AM »
I'm off to work in 15 minutes, I'll read this when I get back.
btw, yes site is important, but having a general concept of what you wanted could prove to help more than you think. Say you draw on paper this grandiose parkour park, and guesstimate the costs to be 3.4 million, the costs of a small highschool, but when you find a site you find that your plans were too big, so obviously you'll have to redraw it all, and replan what you want in the park, however if you went and raised the money first like you should have, you'll find that you have an excess of cash, and you can't be wrong when you have money left over. If the site is too big for your plans. hell just make that extra area your not gonna use into an area were training could be done, such as pushups, qm, etc... there is no downside, unless you fail to raise the money first, also consider that I am typing and thinking very fast, and havent had time to really think through this all the way, I'm sure there are flaws but I was trying to convey a general point, and I think I did just that, albiet there are some technicalities that need to be considered for the actual production and construction.
Gotta go now, peace.

Offline Jordan "Sirlig" Nelson

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
    • Oklahoma Parkour
« Reply #84 on: June 26, 2008, 11:29:08 PM »
I'm sorry to be blunt, but that's simply not how architectural projects are planned/executed.

Certainly you need a general idea of what you need/want, but that usually is developed from a client speaking with a licensed architect and creating bullet lists, concept sketches, etc.

Never does a project have plans drawn up, and then redrawn to fit a site.  It simply doesn't happen this way.  Day in and day out I have worked with plans, plans, plans and never are they made before site is considered.  Doing so results in unusable/awkward architectural spaces.

It's kind of like making a new car model.  A design team would come up with ideas, quick sketches, etc. but never would a design team come up with detailed plans of a car's integral parts, systems, etc. and then go back and cut back here, add a little here to fit a purpose/budget.  Can you imagine the car that would result from such finite planning from the beginning?

It's not a matter of could you, it's a matter of this isn't how projects are done (with good reason, backed by years of trial and error by misguided planning committees; read Jane Jacobs's book Death and Life of Great American Cities )and doing them like this will result in them being rejected by a number of communities/constituencies, namely the architectural community, municipal planning committees, municipal zoning committees, and the citizenry.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2008, 11:34:04 PM by Jordan "okctraceur" Nelson »
"Art reaches its greatest peak when devoid of self-consciousness.  Freedom discovers man the moment he loses concern over what impression he is making or about to make."  --Bruce Lee

www.freewebs.com/oklahomaparkour