Author Topic: A Better Human  (Read 8430 times)

Offline Matt Hudson

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Paddy O'Hayes
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
A Better Human
« on: June 04, 2008, 07:32:34 PM »
DISCLAIMER:
All information herein is made up of fact, opinion, and speculation. Do not attempt to bash the author with mindless rabble, and tried insults. He does not care.
All contributions are extremely welcome however.

A Better Human

Introduction

Many often fantasize about what the human body is capable of, and fewer more try to achieve this. Be it Olympic athletes, or your average Joe, these few strive for a perfection they believe that is attainable. Through rigorous physical training, they push their bodies to the limits. They goals come from limits the set from previous perfectionist. So now lets delve into a world few know about, and only gasp at the results derived from said world. However, to get an understanding of what we're about to go through, we must start at the beginning.

Evolution

The evolution of humans is a long line, of slow changes. From bone structure, to intellectual advances, and more.
To start with we have the many human species of the past, all of whom were well adapted to their situations, and the circumstances of their particular time.
We have:

Australopithicus Ramidus

Australopithicus Afarensis

Australopthicus Africanus

Australopithicus Robustus

Homo Habilis

Homo Erectus

Homo Sapiens

Homo Sapiens Neandertalensis

Homo Sapiens Sapiens

To save time I will skip the explanation for each, you may do your own research, but I do not wish to.

As for the short on evolution, here is an exerpt:

In biology, evolution is the process of change in the inherited traits of a population of organisms from one generation to the next. The genes that are passed on to an organism's offspring produce the inherited traits that are the basis of evolution. Mutations in genes can produce new or altered traits in individuals, resulting in the appearance of heritable differences between organisms, but new traits also come from the transfer of genes between populations, as in migration, or between species, in horizontal gene transfer. In species that reproduce sexually, new combinations of genes are produced by genetic recombination, which can increase the variation in traits between organisms. Evolution occurs when these heritable differences become more common or rare in a population.

Now onto issues of my own mind, much of this will hardly be fact, but it does touch on a few issues I believe to be relevant to my overall cause.

The people of the past, or cavemen if you wish. Were well-adapted to their environment like I said previously, they weren't the best humans I believe, because their intelligence was lacking, but they were in an intense physical fitness due to their hunter-gatherer lifestyle. This is what humans we're made to do, be a part of the earth, not the center of it. However due to our growing curiosity and our drive for more, we have evolved into a people that is controlled by paper, and illusioned power.
Power, true power doesn't exist, it's all an illusion. There is however control, which is often misconstrued as power, but in fact the two are quite different, with some similarities. Control, is what humans do, power is the way of the wild. The lions have power, the gazelle do not. Alpha is powerful, Beta is submissive, such is the way of the wild, lion vs. gazelle.

Back onto topic though, with evolution it is simply take what is useless and throw it out, keep what isn't. This brings me onto present times. With the growing obesity issue it is clear that it is reeking havoc upon the world. Mother nature has seen that intelligence is the key to survival, and physical movements become less and less important in todays eye. There is plenty time in a day to exercise and get out and be active, yet people use excuses well enough you would have thought they were born with the skill. Motivation decreases for anything except money, and laziness is on the rise. I hear these words everyday, "I worked all day, I don't have to be active!"
Yes but would you like to? Most do, but then again don't, they want results, but they don't want to take the journey towards those results, nor do they want to even take the first step.
With evolution, in my opinion it seems it's seeing this and realizing, ok.. we're coming to a point where I can get rid of strength here, and put intelligence there.
Again in my opinion, evolution is simply the genetic form of adaptability. Think, if the world continues on the road it's headed, will there ever be a need to move again? No! Teleporters, remote controls, ear phones, voice-controlled devices, all created to make you as comfortable as possible(read: to move as little as possible) it's disgusting. The draft if ever reinstated will really be a good thing as far as exercise goes, as far as the down side of the draft, those pieces are apparent.(read: death)

Here is an excerpt Kate Hardings website. Her site in itself may not hold much as far as fact is concerned, but she took this excerpt from an article, of which I cannot find.
Below I will post more from her site, but the immediate below is something she "borrowed".

In the nearer future, humans will evolve in 1,000 years into giants between 6ft and 7ft tall, he predicts, while life-spans will have extended to 120 years, Dr Curry claims.

Physical appearance, driven by indicators of health, youth and fertility, will improve, he says, while men will exhibit symmetrical facial features, look athletic, and have squarer jaws, deeper voices and bigger penises.

Women, on the other hand, will develop lighter, smooth, hairless skin, large clear eyes, pert breasts, glossy hair, and even features, he adds. Racial differences will be ironed out by interbreeding, producing a uniform race of coffee-coloured people.

I believe the above to be true, as evolution is already proving it, however there is the information below to take into consideration.

The descendants of the genetic upper class would be tall, slim, healthy, attractive, intelligent, and creative and a far cry from the “underclass” humans who would have evolved into dim-witted, ugly, squat goblin-like creatures.

Um, how is that different from the way people regard thin, rich people vs. fat, poor people now?

Oh wait, it’s not. Which explains a lot.

Arguing the science here would be just too much for my tiny, female, humanities-trained, goblin-like brain. Maybe the human race will be split into Eloi and Morlocks in 100,000 years — the great thing about being an evolutionary theorist (or a sci fi writer) is, you’ll never find out if you’re wrong. But let’s take a look at some of Oliver Curry’s assumptions about just which characteristics we’ll select for as we get “choosier.”

Okay, wait, first, there’s the assumption that we will get choosier. Note that he specifically says this is with regard to picking sexual partners, not mucking around with genetic engineering. So, everyone who can’t bag a tall, slim, healthy, creative person is just gonna… abstain from sex? ‘Cause… why again? Article doesn’t say.

It does, however, tell us just how we’re all gonna get prettier before we split off into the hottie and goblin sub-species.

Eloi, and Morlocks are the two seperate species fromt he movie "Time Machine" Rent it at blockbuster.

I may not have been clear before, but we do have active people in the world today, and those people will pass down good genes, the "others" will not. Sorry, good is not a good term, "preferable" is more acceptable I think.

More on Evolution later.

Physical

On a lighter note away from obesity, and such.
A better human will obviously be better equipped to handle the hardships thrown at it, a stronger body is a must for this. Yet the ability to remain lean while be incredibly strong is unheard of in this day and age. Imagine being able to lift 600 pounds in one arm, yet not being much bigger than Brad Pitt. Unheard of? Indeed.

Yet as time goes on, this will undoubtedly become reality, it's only a matter of how long will it take?

In the future, I believe physical abilities may break the impossible barrier. Such as lifting 1000lbs in one arm, whilst remaining the size of Brad Pitt. An impossible feat of strength by todays standards, but things change and the humans of the future could even look at this feat as weak.

However, I'm not trying to talk about what has happened, and what may happen. This is simply to explain what will happen.(more later)

Mental
As people grow and experiment, and invent. We are constantly given another brick for the wall, raising standards, and knowledge. And as a side-product, becoming more intelligent. Although genetics is helping out in that field, our ingenuity is far surpassing anything genetics, and mother nature could ever possibly hope to compete with. For Christ sakes we can completely change the appearance of someone with our technology today.
Uncontrollable A.I., two separate species of humans, complete destruction of our earth because of our actions. We have all heard the speculations of the coming human-created apocalypse, and some of the rumors may actually be true in the end. But lets take a walk down "Reality Road" and take a look at whats possible for the world.
With our growing intelligence, and ingenuity, would it be possible to completely change the earth into a better place to live? Or is this something that even we cannot control? For instance, we have the chance right now, the opportunity to really fix the Global Warming problem, yet we do nothing, because as I said before, paper and illusioned power are in the way.
In the years to come we WILL realize our mistake, and that we should have done something more about it.
(More Later)

Spiritual

Sorry guys, I just can't finish it right now, I'm going through a stressful time, and I'm going for a walk!

This forum is my only option as far as saving my work, so bear with me, as you will have the opportunity to witness it's creation.
See you all later!

Offline Ozzi

• Sexability Head Coach
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • HIpk
    • View Profile
    • Hawaii Parkour
Re: A Better Human
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2008, 08:06:36 PM »
I think I have an idea of where you are going to, and I am liking it.

Ill tune into the same channel at the same time tomorrow :D.
"Be the change you want to see in the world"
 Ghandi

Offline Andrew Robillard

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2008, 08:11:44 PM »
the hunters were less hunter than you may think. for the most part they didn't actually "hunt" they followed the animals and fed off the remains when other predators were done etc. when people evolved they created bows and arrows and were able to hunt better but still relied on preying off of animals killed by some other means. but thats a different subject.

looks like a good post. can't wait for the next installment. i always like to push my own limits and enjoy pursuing them.
"With the will and the passion impossible is nothing."

"I've missed more than 9,000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game-winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed."
-Michael Jord

Offline Ozzi

• Sexability Head Coach
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • HIpk
    • View Profile
    • Hawaii Parkour
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2008, 08:24:56 PM »
That is true, but they also stalked. They followed a animal until it was too tired to continue then attack with rocks and sticks. Saw that on history channel  ;D
"Be the change you want to see in the world"
 Ghandi

Offline Milquetoast

• Patas
  • ... was Milquetoast but not anymore...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2008, 09:03:13 PM »
Evolution is an interesting topic that I (and I'm sure many others) have given some thought to in the past.  I think you have a good start there, Paddy, but I need to ask you to clarify something.  What is your definition of "better" and "best"?

Offline Mark Toorock

• M2
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • American Parkour
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2008, 06:44:57 AM »
I think this is the start of something very interesting!
Be Useful.
If I don't try to make the world a better place, who will?
Every person has a choice - live by your fears or live by your dreams

Offline David Glass

• Hirundo Rustica
  • CptBongue
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2008, 07:25:00 AM »
True growth is breaching the gap between the person we are, and the person we want to be

- David Glass
Life can be divided in two phases: Before the first time, and After the first time
Traning Journal: http://www.performancemenu.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5147

Offline BearMills

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Grizzly
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2008, 08:39:24 AM »
Thank-you for posting this. This brings up topics in my mind and directing me in a way "are we the next evolution" like could parkour change this. Our bodies have never under gone such movement that we are in Parkour. Could the human body construct new genes, genes that are meant for this lifestyle. Have any of you got any thoughts on this?
Co-Founder

Offline David Glass

• Hirundo Rustica
  • CptBongue
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2008, 08:50:37 AM »
I think in evolution, mutations occur at random, and mother nature discards mutations based on environment adaptability.

i.e, a mutation may be slightly longer legs, which could improve your survivability, meaning you are more likely to reproduce and pass on the genes of "longer legs" (if you will).

One mutation over time is that we became smarter, and learned to adapt our environment to our needs. We learned to make fire, and build shelters to protect us from the cold. Intelligence seemed to make us more prone to survive rather than other mutations that made us adapt better to heat/cold and famine.

The fact that we move in ways we haven't in thousands of years may make us more prone to survive if confronted with incidents, however this is the result of training, and not genetic mutation, so unless we're willing to train our offspring, it's doubtful anything we do will be automatically passed down the gene pool

Now, on the other hand, genetic mutations that make us better suited for survival, say to build strength quicker, will inevitably be passed down, whether we take advantage of them or not. Case in point, Arnold's children, if he has any, may never lift weights, but they are likely more prone to get stronger than the average Joe, and their respective children are likely to carry that tendency.

Now, if some worldwide event causes us to require strength buildup, say a meteor crashes into the earth and as a result our gravitational forces double causing only those who can adapt quickly to survive, then, yes, inevitably, future generations WILL be stronger. I think the theory is called "Natural Selection"

Here's a link

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_selection

Life can be divided in two phases: Before the first time, and After the first time

Offline Matt Hudson

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Paddy O'Hayes
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2008, 12:08:14 PM »
wow, wasn't expecting any replies.. lol
all will be answered in my article, if you have any questions afterward feel free to ask.

Offline David Glass

• Hirundo Rustica
  • CptBongue
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2008, 12:36:03 PM »
Was just thinking.... screw genetics... I'm going bionic!

Offline Andrew Robillard

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2008, 01:14:02 PM »

im going cyborg  ;) eventually. at least i hope to be able to help develop technologies that will help disabled people walk/grab/see/hear etc again.
"With the will and the passion impossible is nothing."

"I've missed more than 9,000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game-winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed."
-Michael Jord

Offline bjkpersonal@aim.com

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2008, 02:38:16 AM »
True growth is breaching the gap between the person we are, and the person we want to be

- David Glass

An essential part of the equation is making sure that the person you want to be is compatible with the person you can be.

Offline Milquetoast

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2008, 03:17:36 AM »

im going cyborg  ;) eventually. at least i hope to be able to help develop technologies that will help disabled people walk/grab/see/hear etc again.

Well, if you're really interested, you should probably try to get into Dean Kamen's (of the Segway fame) company, DEKA Research since they already have a working artificial arm prototype:

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/update/dean-kamen-cyborg-arm-part-ii-261933.php

... as for artificial legs, they're quickly catching up to real legs in terms of sprinting ability, and the always-poignant William Saletan has written an excellent piece on the topic:

http://www.slate.com/id/2191801/

Offline KC Parsons

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Eat. Move. Improve.
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2008, 04:29:33 AM »
Natural Selection doesn't really take precedent in today's world... Since it's based on ability to survive and reproduce, which most any human being can in this world, we have a whole slew of genetic differences and such.

If something were to happen that require a certain trait, say a meteor crashed into the earth and wiped out most technological structure we had, and reverted a lot back to hunter-gatherer, then yes, the more physically fit would survive, and over time, those who possessed more physically advanced traits would be those left.

Iinteresting stuff to think about. Hope you can finish it soon

Offline Chris Lyons

• Mangabey
  • Necessity is the mother of invention.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2008, 05:04:09 AM »
no time to read or post on this, but it sounds like were being supervillans... geneticaly engineered humans and whatnot..

keep in mind that i only read the topic subject... :-\
Fly without wings.

Offline Milquetoast

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2008, 05:27:37 AM »
I think you have some good ideas Paddy, but trying to predict any type of human evolution a thousand years into the future (let alone 100,000 years) is simply impossible.  Here are a few counter-points:

1. Physical attractiveness only has an indirect relation to reproductive success.  With changing values about having children, the availability of contraceptives and so many other ways to flaunt social success, being naturally physically attractive really does not have much to do with having more (or more successful) children anymore.

2. Physical attractiveness is a fashion trend that differs between cultures and changes through time.  The current infatuation with anorexic and physically "fit" (more masculine) women is an extremely recent development.  Remember that it was only 50 years ago that Marilyn Monroe (~size 12) was considered to have the perfect female form.  If anything, what the general populace finds attractive is merely a reflection of the stereotypes that predominate the social classes of the time.  Back when starvation was still a major issue, a fuller more voluptuous female form was desired because that implied that the person was of higher social standing and could afford to be fed.  Now that the poor have to stick with cheap fast food and only the rich could afford personal trainers to help tone their bodies, a "fitter" form is preferred.  Another good example is the desired / preferred skin tone.  Caucasians in well-developed nations prefer tans while East Asians in less-developed nations avoid it like the scourge.  Why?  It's not because of some innate desire to be "light coffee colored", but rather a reflection of what a tan implies about your social class.  In well-developed nations, having a tan implies that you are rich enough to afford long vacations on the beach as opposed to being stuck indoors all day working.  In less-developed nations, having a tan implies that you need to work in the field tilling crops as opposed to having a nice, cushy office job.

3. Plastic surgery.  With plastic surgery quickly becoming safer, cheaper and more socially-accepted, looking attractive is having less and less to do with genetics (and thus is beyond the control of traditional evolution and natural selection).  Why worry about being fat if you can afford liposuction?  Why worry about not being muscular if you can afford pec and tricep implants?  Why worry about being ugly if you can afford to redo your entire face?

4. The environment changes, and so do the social classes.  Even if you could identify a trait that is highly desirable now and that trait allows its wielders to multiply like bunnies, there's no guarantee that that trait will still be desirable or successful in the future.  Both the environment and social classes change through time.  If another famine strikes the West, you can bet that Marilyn Monroe will start looking a lot more attractive to that generation.

operation_jetpack

« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2008, 09:58:20 AM »
Eh I don't know about claiming that humans will evolve to a point in which they don't need to move due to teleporters, remotes, etc. Natural selection doesn't throw out what's useless unless doing that makes the organism more adapted to the enviroment! We still have tonsils and wisdom teeth after all, and as long as people with those (some don't) are able to reproduce, they'll be around for a while.

People who have the ability to move will always be around, especially since reproduction requires quite a bit of movement!

If you want some interesting hypothesis (plural for that??) then try looking beyond biology with artificial intelligence - maybe biology is just one step in the course of evolution. The idea is that the ability to store information is growing rapidly and so is our ability to create programs/software which display the behavior of animals. So one hypothesis is that the artificial intelligence we create becomes smarter than us, and of course be able to copy itself. Obviously a little science-fictiony right now, but it certainly is plausible (at least more plausible than the Terminator or the Matrix).

If you're curious, or it sounds a little crazy, I have some lectures from a professor I had this semester on this!

On a similar note, I also have a lecture on the simulation hypothesis too, if you're interested.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2008, 10:23:30 AM by Antonio Roca »

Offline Matt Hudson

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Paddy O'Hayes
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2008, 01:48:19 PM »
I don't want to get into this to much, as I am trying to explain as much as possible in my article, however I don't sincerely believe that humans will evolve into what Kate Harding suggested, or rather the person she borrow the "excerpt" from.
I am still researching, and putting my thoughts into order, because the day after I started, I forgot most of what I had in mind, so it's going to be a minute.

Also.
if two people are well simply put "ugly" and get plastic surgery to be "pretty" and they have a kid that kid is still going to be "ugly"
it's all about genetics, not looks. looks can be deceiving.

I'm not going to work on my article today, instead I'm going to write down everything I can remember wanting for this article, revising, and editing, and getting everything together, just incase I forget again in the future. lol

operation_jetpack

« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2008, 01:50:30 PM »
I don't think you got that guys post. I think he was making a point about what Kate had to say about humans evolving to be more sexually attractive - that you can't predict if it's going to go that way with plastic surgery allowing ugly genes to reproduce. So really, you're agreeing with Eugene because you admit that the ugly genes will stick around despite plastic surgery.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2008, 01:55:50 PM by Antonio Roca »