Author Topic: traceurs see the world differently  (Read 1863 times)

Offline BlindMonkey

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
traceurs see the world differently
« on: June 02, 2008, 09:21:16 AM »
I started parkour about 1 year ago. Ever since then the world has been different. I feel more free...more open. Not caged in to the everyday druggery of the world around me. When I see a fence I dont see just a fence. My mind starts to wander to a different place, I start to think of all the different things I can do to break away.

Does anybody else fell this way?

Offline Jordan "Sirlig" Nelson

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
    • Oklahoma Parkour
Re: traceurs see the world differently
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2008, 12:55:14 PM »
Of course; there already exists a multitude of threads where people have said that they see things that way.  Traceurs are always looking for new training opportunities.  It's bound to happen.
"Art reaches its greatest peak when devoid of self-consciousness.  Freedom discovers man the moment he loses concern over what impression he is making or about to make."  --Bruce Lee

www.freewebs.com/oklahomaparkour

Offline Muhammad

• Hirundo Rustica
  • London, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2008, 01:08:37 PM »
yeah, i used to feel that way.. it was like everywhere i looked, all i could see were curbs, ledges, rails and other obstacles, forming and endless variety of opportunities for practice, and I noticed the textures of surfaces alot more because smooth things were easier to slide and grind on, whereas rough concrete or pavement was difficult because the wheels of the skateboard would slow down, and it was harder to grind and do railslides..
and whenever i was riding in the car, i would be looking at all the stuff I was passing, imagining how i would skate and do tricks over all of it. it was like the whole world was transformed and opened up into one great big giant skate park for me.  :P
« Last Edit: June 03, 2008, 05:32:38 AM by Muhammad Howell »

Offline Chris Lyons

• Mangabey
  • Necessity is the mother of invention.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2008, 04:41:37 AM »
I started parkour about 1 year ago. Ever since then the world has been different. I feel more free...more open. Not caged in to the everyday druggery of the world around me. When I see a fence I dont see just a fence. My mind starts to wander to a different place, I start to think of all the different things I can do to break away.

I recently had to write a memoir and the whole focus of it was on something like this. The teacher didnt like it though.... she started complaining that I sounded too philosophical, go figure
Fly without wings.

Offline Cliff Boz

• Hirundo Rustica
  • "ohfomehxr"
    • View Profile
    • ohfomehxr.com
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2008, 05:23:18 AM »
blindmonkey:

It's called "traceur vision", and you are feeling the benefits. ;) :D

Also: ncparkour.com
North Carolina Traceurs

Offline james2610

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2008, 07:01:35 AM »
its actually a good thing coz you can find more spots with an "eye" for parkour. Im guessing it happens to all of us at some point :)

Offline BlindMonkey

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2008, 09:22:31 AM »
blindmonkey:

It's called "traceur vision", and you are feeling the benefits. ;) :D

he. cool name for it.

Its actually really cool because just the other day I was walking to school and theres a utility building with a bunch of rails and other walls around it on the way that I have been walking by for years now and I never saw it before but there was a huge chain of tricks that I could do around it and on top...I just found a new training spot.  :D

shadow1234

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2008, 11:17:29 AM »
I was like that for a month but then I eventually floated back down to reality.

Offline Ness Smith-Savedoff

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2008, 09:41:22 AM »
Since starting parkour my the city i live in looks completely different, just like the rest of you have said, what i think is funny is that my friends (who dont do parkour) are starting to notice things too.  They'll tell me about spots theyve found where i should go train. 
I've also started looking into architecture as a degree...

~ness

Offline Dustin Miller

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2008, 01:21:36 PM »
I now constantly become distracted by buildings/obstacles now, I find new things constantly.