Author Topic: Full list of recommended gear for PK  (Read 5946 times)

Offline tekneek

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • Free fall is the ultimate high.
    • View Profile
Full list of recommended gear for PK
« on: May 31, 2008, 08:33:48 AM »
Hey y'all! i'm looking for a list of gear you guys recommend for parkouring outdoors. that means everything from shoes, pants, and shirts, to glasses, backpacks, and hats. put no cap on the price range. thanks!
-connor
It's that moment where you're upside-down in midair or jumping from 20 feet up. Everything else just disappears. That's how I define tranquility.

Offline NickMc

• Patas
  • ydoaPs
    • View Profile
Re: Full list of recommended gear for PK
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2008, 09:17:29 AM »
I'm not sure what parkouring is. :p

But if you're asking what you need to do parkour, I say clothes that don't restrict movement too much and a pair of shoes. I typically go out in a tee shirt and athletic shorts.
David Belle is what Willis was talking about

Offline tekneek

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2008, 11:10:34 AM »
i understand it that far but i'm looking for brands(of shoes and other clothing) that are good to PK in...
It's that moment where you're upside-down in midair or jumping from 20 feet up. Everything else just disappears. That's how I define tranquility.

Offline Muhammad

• Hirundo Rustica
  • London, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2008, 11:49:15 AM »
There are no brands that work best really. It's all a matter of personal preference. Also, parkour/pk is a noun, not a verb. You don't need anything to do parkour except your body. Shoes are not even necessary, although they make it more comfortable when performing big jumps. As for clothing, I would recommend at least covering up your private parts for the sake of modesty. It doesn't matter what brand of clothing you use to cover your private parts. Man made materials seem to be good for keeping the skin dry. Cotton holds in a lot of moisture and can become uncomfortable when you begin to perspire. I have heard directly from high profile European traceurs that the best shoes for parkour are cheap running shoes.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2008, 11:51:52 AM by Muhammad Howell »

Offline tekneek

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2008, 11:58:07 AM »
Don't worry lol i'll wear clothes. thx for the feedback. by the way you go to OSU with Joe Torchia and you're the co-founder of Parkour Horizons right?
i was talking to him(email) and he said he would ask you if you knew anywhere closer to hudson than the cuyahoga riverfront where i could parkour but since your online now...
do you?

Offline Muhammad

• Hirundo Rustica
  • London, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2008, 12:04:04 PM »
Thanks man. I get embarrassed when I see people doing parkour naked. LOL

I'm not an actual student of OSU, but yes, I am a co-founder of Parkour Horizons. As for Hudson, are you talking about Hudson Street in Columbus, or the town of Hudson up in northern Ohio?
« Last Edit: May 31, 2008, 02:27:58 PM by Muhammad Howell »

Offline Andy Keller

• Oh baby baby.
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Lancaster, PA
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2008, 01:23:35 PM »
if you knew anywhere closer to hudson than the cuyahoga riverfront where i could parkour but since your online now...

You still didn't quite get it...

See the discussion/explanation here:
http://www.americanparkour.com/smf/index.php?topic=885.0
"Do it, do it well, do it well and fast."

Offline tekneek

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2008, 06:27:25 PM »
lol. I'm talking about hudson ohio north of columbus south of cleveland in summit county

Offline Muhammad

• Hirundo Rustica
  • London, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2008, 06:00:15 AM »
Unfortunately, I know very little about that area, however, parkour training can be undertaken anywhere, anytime, any place. I also wouldn't recommend you jump from anything higher than your chest for at least the first six months of your training. Also, I advise you not to jump from anything 20 feet high until you have trained at least 5 to 10 years.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2008, 06:06:12 AM by Muhammad Howell »

Offline tekneek

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2008, 11:52:35 AM »
lol i know... it sounded cool when i wrote it though. and i can do a backflip and ive jump 'bot 13-14 feet not counting extra height from the jump itself

Offline Muhammad

• Hirundo Rustica
  • London, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2008, 09:30:48 PM »
basically, if you want to be able to do parkour for more than year or two before you knees are shot, you should avoid jumping from heights over your head until you've got a couple or few years training behind you - giving you the essential "body armor" of parkour specific muscular development and increased tendon strength which will help protect you from joint damage.

Offline Nick Kelly

• Mangabey
  • Parkour Horizons
    • View Profile
    • Parkour Horizons
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2008, 08:36:14 AM »
I'm not sure what parkouring is. :p

But if you're asking what you need to do parkour, I say clothes that don't restrict movement too much and a pair of shoes. I typically go out in a tee shirt and athletic shorts.

Its just personal preference, but I'd recommend wearing pants year round to train in. Wearing pants will cut down on the cuts you get on your shins (and make the one you get less serious). Also, when you start rolling on concrete you'll want pants to help protect your legs from getting scraped up.

Offline tekneek

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2008, 05:14:18 PM »
thanks for the comments. keep em coming; they're really helpful.
Muhammad- the highest i've jumped is off the roof of my back porch. i'll definitely keep your tip in mind. thanks.
-connor

Offline tabler1010

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2008, 01:26:02 PM »
i think all you need is

1. a T shirt

2. Some shorts

3. shoes with good grip

And maby

Gloves if i had a pair of good gloves iwould use them

Offline Muhammad

• Hirundo Rustica
  • London, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2008, 02:01:50 PM »
you should never use gloves when doing parkour unless the temperature is so low that you would get frostbite. your hands should be toughened with calluses, not soft and buttery.

Offline Andy Keller

• Oh baby baby.
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Lancaster, PA
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2008, 08:38:41 PM »
For goodness' sake, don't have buttery hands!

+1 Muhammad
"Do it, do it well, do it well and fast."

Jaycee123

« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2008, 09:48:33 PM »
i think all you need is

1. a T shirt

2. Some shorts

3. shoes with good grip

And maby

Gloves if i had a pair of good gloves iwould use them

Nix the idea of using gloves. Gloves carry many germs, restrict proper grip, and disable you from strengthening your fingers! not even shoe with good grip is a necessity. i still run in a randown old pair of adidas and nike.

Offline Zach Morgan

• Guenons
  • Well hi, guys!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2008, 12:19:36 PM »
I've found I like my bare feet and a t-shirt and shorts. I like how with my bare feet I can use my toes and junk to help me do stuff, although I haven't really tried it with shoes. heh

Offline AirGear

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2008, 11:07:58 AM »
you should never use gloves when doing parkour unless the temperature is so low that you would get frostbite. your hands should be toughened with calluses, not soft and buttery.
I RESENT THAT! i dont use gloves but ive been doin parkour for 2 years and my hands are still soft and buttery. Not only that but i also work outside cutting and weeding alot. ITS genetic for me man my dad has the same thing. Have hard hands is not the mark of a good traucer seriusly i wish i could get caluses and shit
« Last Edit: June 15, 2008, 06:35:23 PM by AirGear »

Offline Iceucold

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2008, 01:15:05 PM »
Soft and buttery. That got a chuckle out of me. It's actually gotten to the point that I have to file my callusses to prevent scratching up my face.

Nick, I wear sweatpants year-round but I've trained with shorts once or twice, to what kind of nicks and scrapes are you referring?

Houston has a heat problem during the summer; most of the time the only things you need are shoes and a pair of trousers.
Abs Patentia Veni Perfectio.

If it doesn't have four legs or fly, *expletive deleted* it.

-Desmund from Houston Parkour