Author Topic: Quick question...  (Read 7705 times)

Offline David Angel Diaz

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
Quick question...
« on: November 10, 2005, 06:04:24 AM »
Well, i was just wondering... What is this site gunna represent? Is it gunna be another civil war between traceurs on Parkour vs. "Freestyle" Parkour? I hope not. i think that is retarted. Ok... now I got banned for arguing with Ez about this, but I'll just say it now... um... flipping or vaulting... either way you move, it's all Parkour. It's the are of movement. Not the art of vaulting or the art of butterfly twisting. Am I right or do I get banned here as well? This next part was posted up by a member of my forum community answering a question about "frpk" and Pk. Here is as follows:

Ok you ready for this....here goes: What we no as Parkour was created by David bell, Sebastian foucan and other members of the yamakazi crew.

David and Sebastian split up long ago as they had different views on parkour and wanted to both premote it in there own way. Sebastian done the two documentorys Jump London and Jump Britain, which he reffered to it as free running. where you can go through the urban enviroment doing what you wish when you wish.

David belle struck back with his definition of parkour, which he described it as the art of escape. basically only perfroming a move if its nessasary, so that means flips, 360 vaults, palm spins, wall spins etc are not counted as parkour, that is called free running. Free style Parkour was created by urban freeflow which basically is a definition of Free Running but just with a jazzed up name

But what people are forgetting is before this, flips and what not, where counted as parkour, so free runners and parkour artist use to get togeather and just simple PK. but because of these child like actions between david belle and urbanfreeflow, a devide has come in parkour which will in turn cause arguments.

SO the way i see it is there IS NO FREE STYLE OR PURE PARKOUR, there is simply PK. we go out do as we wish. ignore anyone who says there a pure artist or free styler cause there just trying to add fuel to a fire. every one talks about doing parkour and being free when all the do is follow urban free flow and david belle....thats not free, that just means you a sheep being led along. if i was you i would just stay out of it, do what you want. lead your own life, not some one elses.

wow, im done lol. -Spike

(Sorry if this offends anyone)

My famous last words: "HEY GUYS, WATCH THIS!!"

Gearsighted

Re: Quick question...
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2005, 06:19:41 AM »
Thanks for sharing.

Offline David Angel Diaz

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2005, 06:26:37 AM »
Hey bro... Hopefuly that didn't offend you. I mean, it was in a lighthearted manner. I wasn't trying to be arguementative. I was just basically stating that weather you flip or you run, it's all movement and an art. So why label it. That's all.

Offline Paul Leon Mederos

• Legend
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Simple Knowledge - Leon's Tumblr Blog
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2005, 07:05:41 AM »
To keep it simple, Parkour is fluid efficeint movement. Throwing in acrobatics is a ton of fun and impressive to watch. FRPK/Pure PK ?- whatever just jam and have fun, no need for a definition.

The best advice I can give is to read a LOT. Gather as much information about as many point of views as you can. More knowledge is more power. Then form your own thoughts and opinions and dont be afraid to share or discuss them with others, because thats just a way of getting more.
When we move, we move as one.

Act; for the universe will never forget your movement, nor will it ever forgive your stillness.

Offline Gareth EE Field

• Mangabey
  • Aaayyooo!!!
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2005, 08:00:36 AM »
it's not what you do but how you do it. stop in the middle of a run to do a backflip, then call it parkour? I keeel youuuu!!

j/k, but seriously I think that if people want to practice moving through an environment, they can. if they want to try to do it as quickly and efficiently as possible, they can do parkour.

make your own descisions though, who am I to try and sway you. Be a bowling ball, not a pin, perfectly content to be knocked down over and over again.
PK4LIFE!

Offline Mark Toorock

• M2
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • American Parkour
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2005, 09:06:49 AM »
The short answer to your question is this:

1. Don't bother comparing this to any other site, it's not- get a feel for the place ,eh?

2. You can talk about any angle you want here, as long as you do it considerately. People have just as much right to politely oppose your views as you have to have your views in the first place, and that freedom will be upheld here, as long as people are debating / discussing / arguing in a civil manner. I don't care if you want to tell me that dogdoo is Parkour, state your case, back it up, and do it nicely. I also don't care if someone else wants  to say that "Parkour is specifically X" ... again, by the same parameters.

I think it would do people a lot of good to think of EVERYTHING as an opinion vs fact, that way they could reasonably discuss points without having to feel the other person was wrong, it could be seen as "another viewpoint" and discussed that way. You can politely tell someone that you don't agree with their viewpoint, and this is the same as telling them they're wrong if you can support it with evidence and logic.
One causes a fight, one causes a discussion. We're here to have discussions :)

Be Useful.
If I don't try to make the world a better place, who will?
Every person has a choice - live by your fears or live by your dreams

Offline Michael Zernow

• Captain Jetpack
  • Global Moderator
  • Patas
  • I believe in myself.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2005, 11:34:14 AM »
I think the general idea behind this website is rather than talk about what we should be doing here online, instead we should be out doing it because it's a whole lot more fun than emoticons and flames. Because no matter what you say pk will always involve overcoming obstacles and for any of you who have studied any eastern philosophy you know that the best way to overcome a problem is to not have any problem at all. Now what was that VA-Parkour video I saw, I just can't recall the name...

Offline Matthew Lee Willis

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Texas Parkour
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2005, 12:46:09 PM »
Yes I hope that this site is much more respective to the way things are put in the forums then UF.  On UF a lot of people would just blast you...even if you were making an influential comment.
Parkour:Phone Calls
Free Running::Text Messaging

gmpianoman

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2005, 02:11:19 PM »
Yeah...well i understand where you are coming from, but Parkour is defined as "effecient," so flipping doesnt mean you are parkouring, it just means you're tricking.  Just because you move in a different way than most people doesn't make it parkour.  That would be like saying swimming is parkour because you flow through water.  Oh and David Belle always differentiated between flips and parkour.  Just because you are doing flips while practicing parkour, that doesn't mean that flips are Parkour.  In fact they are two different things entirely.  Also, a lot of other people came along before Sebastien got into the scene. 

Offline Core...

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2005, 02:44:01 PM »
Thank God...no more replay of UF's civil war. I am aware that some ppl like to do flips and some dont...but it isnt something to argue about...it fellt so juvenile. anyway thanks for clearing that up for folks.

~Core.

Offline Mark Toorock

• M2
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • American Parkour
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2005, 03:03:18 PM »
well, maybe I wasn't clear, people are still welcome to argue about it. If they don't, we won't have much to talk about :P Really though, it's HOW people talk about it, and treating each other as if you were in the same room, what would you say to someone standing in front of you?

Be Useful.
If I don't try to make the world a better place, who will?
Every person has a choice - live by your fears or live by your dreams

gmpianoman

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2005, 03:14:16 PM »
what would you say to someone standing in front of you?

Id probably just go tell him to STFU N00B!  Either that or act polite :P

Offline Skipper

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2005, 04:14:23 PM »
Welcome to the new "good ol' days"

lets keep them as good as we can until m2 runs out of money to pay for it  ;D

Offline David Angel Diaz

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2005, 07:59:56 PM »
lol sounds good. So, here's to the good ol'... err um... new days...? CHEERS!!

Offline DeadPool

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • cats have a high risk of breast cancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2005, 08:26:57 PM »
could imagine .. how proud .. you would be if you created somehting ... and in just .. 20 some years time .. its like ... EVERYWHERE .. and probably the most fun anyone will ever have.. man david and subastion .. those lucky cocks.

all i have to say is .. go out and go .. someone asks you what your doing .. simply say .. having fun with a twist.

personlly .. im sick of this whole conversation.. who cares how you move.. just do whast fun ..CRIzap!

Steez

« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2005, 04:58:10 PM »

Just because you move in a different way than most people doesn't make it parkour.  That would be like saying swimming is parkour because you flow through water. 

swimming can be parkour!  what if it's the quickest/most efficient way to get somewhere?  what if you need to chase someone/something that's in water, what if you are being chased and the best escape is into the water? what if 'point a to point b' goes through water?