Author Topic: is parkour illegal?  (Read 24582 times)

Offline BobT

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
Re: is parkour illegal?
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2008, 07:10:54 AM »

When in doubt, you're doing plyometrics ;D

Offline brewer.kyle

• Guenons
  • Awww yea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2008, 07:27:03 AM »
I expect to see more and more of those signs in the future...
Soon we will be limited to special arenas built for parkour.

My bad on the format, it's more of a rant then an essay.
Cut Hands.
Scraped Forearms and Elbows.
Head is Pounding.
Heart is Racing.
Knees barely bend at the end of the day.
We start again tomorrow, Traceur.

Offline Flashblastx

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2008, 08:35:28 AM »
I dont know about u but i would love a parkour/freerunning park. You wouldnt be bothered and people wouldnt wonder what you were doing anymore because they would see that from the park.
Love

Offline Charles Moreland

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • www.charlesmoreland.com
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2008, 10:06:08 AM »
I never once instigated "government love." There's a big difference between blind hate, understanding, and blind love. You are stuck in a world of definite's and what if's. I only offered one example of going to the mayor. That does not make it the only way possible to get yourself some recognition. The main issue here is standing up for yourself in the right places, not sitting here calling names and filling our forums with complaints about "oh I got kicked out of this place or that palce f*** the police!" It doesn't help anyone.

At RIT we had a similar situation where were approached by a public safety officer and asked to stop what we were doing. Now what we could have done was bitch and moan at how stupid the guy was and then get thrown out and come here and bitch and moan on the forums. OR we could have done what we did and went straight to the director of Public Safety. Zac sat there and gave several very thorough presentations on Parkour. Now we have Public Safety's full support in our activities. Good luck trying to throw us out when we have the support of the people who enforce the policies.

This is a secluded and very defined situation that worked out well for us, but the same goes for anywhere. Stop sitting there and accepting defeat. Find an authority figure, anyone that makes sense, and offer yourself to them. Introduce yourself, be friendly, make connections, get active! And if after all that they prove to be unyielding then so be it. You tried. Move elsewhere.

We are not the skateboarding community and rarely do we damage property when we train right. The key to getting respect is to give respect. This is something so many of us have forgotten.

I, however, sincerely believe that not everyone out there cares

Thank you for demonstrating the overwhelming problem with society. You've just demonstrated Social Cognitive Theory. YOU personally don't care about the spots you train in and simply assume that because you do not care, others must not either. This is detrimental not only to us but to society and the world as a whole. "I don't care about our environment; others must not either. I could care less about fuel solutions; others must not either. So why should I change?"

Mahatma Gandhi died for his beliefs, and one of the most influential was "Be the change you want to see in the world." If you want people to care then you first must care. It's as simple as that.

I'd love nothing more than for parkour to be internationally accepted as the greatest discipline ever, however I just don't believe that everyone can see eye to eye with that, and that's fine.

Another great example of mental defeat: you've accepted defeat before even attempting to succeed. Why? Now I don't hold to the belief that parkour is the greatest thing ever. Nor will it ever be the solution to everyone's problem. However I do think that we can be recognized and have a positive aura surrounding that recognition.

To be honest, this is one of the best times to get out there and be active. Our community is small at the moment but highly devoted. The sub-communities that have been developed throughout the US have been doing amazing things. If you're worried you don't have the numbers to stand out and be noticed, host a jam. Watch and see what happens. You'll be noticed and you can use it to your advantage if you play the right cards.

Many of us also need to address the understanding of an outsider. When you consider someone from the baby boomer generation or older, the type of activity we do is fairly radical and crazy. It's not something you can comprehend or understand right away by just seeing it. People tend to have great fear against that which they don't understand. I remember all of us at PKGen in New York getting thrown out by that old lady who owned the small gallery. She had the most frightened look on her face from anyone I've ever seen. It is your responsibility, then, to address this fear and help disperse it. If they are not social initially when you are being asked to leave, that's fine, but don't stop there. Give them a call or leave them messages. Be proactive. Stop being a victim. If a cop doesn't want to hear you out ask for someone you can talk to and don't take no for an answer.

This isn't about government loving or about being silent when getting thrown out of places. It's about understanding and the change in attitude that comes with that understanding. You won't get what you want by being disrespectful or unruly. You'll get what you want by being proactive but cooperative, demanding but friendly, and available.

Offline Joe "jspan1013" Spano

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2008, 12:54:59 PM »
Now that is what traceurs should be doing.I'm going to live up to that name of a traceur and not bitch or moan when i get kicked out of a place i'm gonna address the problem or dilema.Really well put Chad, i agree with you %100  on being proactive and doing he things needed to give a good reputation for parkour AND freerunning.Good job man. :)
                                                            - Joe

Offline Alex Melusky

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Failure is the mother of Success.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2008, 01:31:42 PM »
do you guys have a bottomless pit of thought? Have you thought about everything before it happened? :-Sarcasm You guys have great ideas lol.
You don't have to be a scholar to be a leader.
Why be a leaf in the wind when you can be the wind itself?

Offline Alissa J. Bratz

• Hirundo Rustica
  • middle-aged man in mom's basement eating Fritos
    • View Profile
    • wisconsinparkour.com
« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2008, 03:24:09 PM »
I'm 100% with Chad on this one. How do you know you'll just get tossed out of the mayor's office without being listened to? Sure, if you go in there looking like a dirtbag, and ranting about how The Man is taking away your Celestially-Endowed Right to Practice Parkour, then you might. But you won't do that, because you know better. The thing about mayors is, they work FOR you. As elected officials, they have a mandate to listen to their constituents (and that includes you). Now, whether or not they are nice about it, or whether or not they agree with you, is another story and depends on the mayor and your community and the thousands of other constituents he/she serves. But the only way you for sure DON'T get the support of the mayor is to not try at all.

All it takes is a mature conversation. Afterwards, they will either come around to your way of thinking or they won't, but at least you will have tried.

Going back to the original question: parkour in itself is not illegal. However many things that we do while practicing parkour could be illegal, depending on your local laws. Namely: trespassing, climbing a government building, endangerment, recklessness, disturbing the peace, littering, vandalism (shoe marks or incidental damage to walls for instance), etc. So the question is not whether to practice parkour, but where and how to practice parkour.
She followed slowly, taking a long time,
as though there were some obstacle in the way;
and yet: as though, once it was overcome,
she would be beyond all walking, and would fly.
--excerpt from Going Blind, Rainer Maria Rilke

www.madisonparkour.com

Offline NickMc

• Patas
  • ydoaPs
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2008, 03:47:34 PM »
There are ways to talk to the mayor without charging into his office. You could start by writing a letter inviting him to come out and see what parkour is about. You could go to City Council meetings. There are options; you just have to use your head.
David Belle is what Willis was talking about

Offline brewer.kyle

• Guenons
  • Awww yea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2008, 06:31:23 PM »
A whole lot of assuming here, I personally care about the place I train in. I'm playing the devil's advocate if you will. I don't ASSUME that I will get kicked out off the mayors office or whatever and I've said f#ck the police on several occasions for the sheer reason that some do not even care about the people that they swear to protect. You say I have mentally defeated myself but you do not even know me, I am one of the most mentally empowered people you will ever meet. Not only that but I do not consider myself a member of the "herd" the so called majority. So before you assume that I am the person destroying and ruining parkour you should consider yourself in the picture and see that you're just accusing me of this. Agree with who you will, it changes nothing. I'm meerly speaking for the seeming majority of the population who just don't give a f#ck and just don't care about the places they train. In fact, it's rather stupid of you to accuse me of such things like Mental defeat and social obstruction when I am the one guarding these very values. So still, it changes nothing. And the -1 I got for those posts yeah okay.
Cut Hands.
Scraped Forearms and Elbows.
Head is Pounding.
Heart is Racing.
Knees barely bend at the end of the day.
We start again tomorrow, Traceur.

Offline Alec Furtado

• kicks butt.
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Balance.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2008, 07:40:20 PM »
I must say, in one aspect, being obstinate about becoming more knowledgeable of other odd practices is one thing Americans do best. Mention that David Belle is French and they just scoff at the word.

Muse, that's how it should be and that's how I want it to be, but after observing things for a long time, I have little faith in those involved in politics whether they are the mayor or just a police officer. However, in general, I also think that failing to try is even worse than trying and failing, so as my expectations would not be very high, I would definitely make an attempt. That might not make sense to some but... it's how I do.

I've been thinking and maybe, although most of us are against forming competitive organizations, it may be one of the best ways to "legitimize" parkour in the eyes of the masses.

A lot of people have no idea about what it is, which means you can start out without having to get rid of and preconceived notions, and I usually simply identify it as an amazing way to exercise. People appear to always readily accept it that way, especially when they see how in-shape I am (I like to mention I've never lifted weights). Then I branch out to the more extreme versions of it... the chase aspect, large drops, flipping, whatever. I try to avoid the philosophical aspect initially because that tends to be a big turn-off.

The big issue with me is that I'm 17. Because of this, I am always going to be "causing trouble" or trying to be like those idiots from Jackass. My mom told me something I thought was really useful: Act like you BELONG their. Don't be looking around and tentative. Don't take glances at the cops or security guards. Train, and train hard. Act like you own that area and have every right to be there. People will be less inclined to think that you don't.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2008, 07:44:28 PM by Veloce »
Water conforms to the shape of it's surroundings. Do not be water. Shape your own life.

Offline BearMills

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Grizzly
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 28, 2008, 08:07:52 PM »
My mom told me something I thought was really useful: Act like you BELONG their. Don't be looking around and tentative. Don't take glances at the cops or security guards. Train, and train hard. Act like you own that area and have every right to be there. People will be less inclined to think that you don't.

Hey Veloce, Thank you for your side, I really like the quote from your mom thats what a good mom would say... Next time i go out training im going to use that Thank you!
Co-Founder

Offline Chris Lyons

• Mangabey
  • Necessity is the mother of invention.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2008, 10:18:52 AM »
my friend once told me that it was impossible to poop out of my mouth...boy did i show him.  :-Sarcasm

that just made my day.
Fly without wings.

Offline Chance B.

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 30, 2008, 11:21:53 AM »
Very nice submissions Chad and Muse...I just couldn't resist logging in and posting down here; +1.

Both of you have made a great job of making the determination of some traceurs out there clear...and have also motivated me to do something if I ever run across a situation like that. Thank you posters (all of the beneficial and motivated ones) for your posts.
Run free or die a captive.

OldDog

I like Bike-Skates

Offline Chris Lyons

• Mangabey
  • Necessity is the mother of invention.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2008, 04:19:09 AM »
Thank you posters (all of the beneficial and motivated ones) for your posts.

oh THANKS!!  :-Sarcasm :-Sarcasm
Fly without wings.

Offline KC Parsons

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Eat. Move. Improve.
« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2008, 05:08:18 AM »
Just figured I'd summarize what's been said:
  • When training, do your best to make sure you look like you are training. Not just messing around on other peoples' (Public included) property.
  • If stopped by a security guard or other figure, property owner included, take a quick second to really explain what you're doing. Emphasize exercise and training, avoid philosophy and the personal benefits that you've gained. If they seem like they're listening well and seem genuinely interested, then possibly try moving on to those aspects, as well.
  • Treat your areas and training/jam spots with respect. It doesn't mean getting a community rally and picking up all trash in a one mile radius, and repainting every damn thing that looks shoddy. However, doing small things, such as making sure your own trash, or a few pieces here and there, make it to the garbage can make a big difference. One main aspect of being a traceur is learning respect, not only for your environment, but for those who own it.
  • Take any chance you can get to spread the word of parkour, the way it should be.

Following these basic guidelines, you're well on your way to promoting parkour in the light it should be.

Offline james2610

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 03, 2008, 07:05:35 AM »
most police in my area dont know what parkour is. so they just move us on and we go somewhere else to train, we cant do much against the law to be honest. bad mouth a cop and you get told off/ possibly arrested if you push it too far, but if you just say ok and move on from the place you are training then they wont bother you anymore. I guess its the same as playing football in a restricted area, just the cops think every area is a restricted area for parkour