Author Topic: is parkour illegal?  (Read 24590 times)

Offline demo 13

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
is parkour illegal?
« on: May 25, 2008, 07:53:27 PM »
is parkour illegal? coz my friend told me that it is illegal and police catch you if you do parkour

Offline Tom Coppola

• Hirundo Rustica
  • TomewardBound
    • View Profile
    • Florida Parkour
Re: is parkour illegal?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2008, 08:36:33 PM »
my friend once told me that it was impossible to poop out of my mouth...boy did i show him.  :-Sarcasm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfGJ-vaW0Uw

When faced with the stress of a life-threatening engagement, we don't rise to the occasion, we descend to our level of training.

Offline Patrick "PyroPat" Caric

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2008, 08:42:38 PM »
breaking and entering is illegal....
tresspassing is illegal...

Parkour in itself isnt illegal cause its just using your enviroment and moving through it.  People dont like people doing parkour on their property cause they dont understand parkour and just see people jumping on things waiting for a lawsuit.

So to answer your quesiton no parkour isn't illegal. But if someone tellls you to leave then be respectful and move on because tresspassing is a very real thing.

Also dont always listen to everyone.  You have to take information with a grain of salt and judge how much knowledge said person may have about the topic they are speaking on.

Offline Patrick Holten (Denver Family) Flux Freerunning

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Life on the run.
    • View Profile
    • Ya!!! Youtube!!!
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2008, 09:10:46 PM »
Ya, like Pyropat said, it all depends on the authority that is governing the property of which you are practicing on.

Obviously, besides training on federal property which is forbidden basically, just to test whether or not it is okay to train on a certain property, just go and keep on training until the body of authority comes and tells you what their rule is.

Most cases they will give a warning and tell you if it is okay or not.

But funny story actually, a couple weeks ago we were told, after only having been told to not train on the property once before, we were told that after that time (the second time), we would all be arrested, no questions asked. And the property was governed just by RTD security guards. Stupid, I know! ::)

Also, while training on the Denver University Campus, we were told by a Denver cop that all such movements, free running, parkour, tricking was now classified as "Urban Stunting" and it is now illegal in the city of Denver.

If you haven't figured this out by now, the message that seems to prevail through all of this is that, truly, you must find out through your own application of Parkour on the various political boundaries placed on this metropolis of a world... Ahhhh, I seem to have been inspired by this topic, PK poem possibly ::)?
"Live what you love."- Me, Patrick Holten
WHAT I LOVE...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aiviEs4zmNo
DENVER FAMILY PRESENTS: FLUX FREE RUNNING

Offline BearMills

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Grizzly
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2008, 09:13:41 PM »
What is this world coming to! Cops **** em, were using our bodies at its fullest potential and the government isn't allowing us to do that????????? lets sue the government any up for it lol
Co-Founder

Offline Alex Melusky

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Failure is the mother of Success.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2008, 04:54:20 AM »
I really don't know why people get told leave public property. They just care about there money. The other day, some lady called the police saying to kids jumped the football field fence. We didnt do because there was a cop in there anyway. Like 30 mins later, three cops come by. They start accusing us of jumpin the fence just because we do parkour (and were training right there). The one cop (my neighbor  :o) said he wasn't accusing us, but he thinks we did it. lol he just accused us. Funny.
You don't have to be a scholar to be a leader.
Why be a leaf in the wind when you can be the wind itself?

Offline jordanwolfe

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2008, 05:02:08 AM »
lol some kid told me it was illegal because the cops  couldnt catch u if u did something bad! i laughed

Offline Charles Moreland

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • www.charlesmoreland.com
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2008, 07:12:17 AM »
I honestly don't understand why everytime topics like this come up it always turns into a cop/government bashing topic.

I'm sorry, but get over yourself. Stop hating on the messengers and stop with the closed mindedness. It doesn't help Parkour one bit here across the ocean. Many of you need to understand the difference between private and public property. Also, just because an area is labeled as public property does not necessarily mean you can do anything you want there. Is this a sad reality? Yes. But how many of you that have been kicked out of a public place decide to do something about it and go to the mayor's office? How many of you organize groups or work with the local police department getting a positive image of Parkour spread?

Chances are those responding negatively here have never bothered to assert themselves and instead follow rules reluctantly and instead of trying to change what you don't agree with come here to complain and call names or poke fun at "rent-a-cops."

If someone approaches you, be friendly and explain yourself. Keep in mind they (the owners/supervisors/security) have every right in the book to be unsociable and simply tell you to leave. They don't HAVE to be open minded. This is something you need to accept and respect. It's a great feeling when you find one of the few that actually would like to know what you are doing before demanding you leave.

Creating a division between us and law enforcement is not the proper approach to solving our issue with media coverage and representation nationwide. Keep in mind, Jesse and Mark TRAIN these people everyday to perform their jobs better. We should be reaching out to these people, not calling names behind their backs and being disgruntled "hoodlums." Respect is one of the defining qualities of a fine traceur.

Offline Alex Melusky

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Failure is the mother of Success.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2008, 08:26:35 AM »
sorry, i just really don't like police that much.
You don't have to be a scholar to be a leader.
Why be a leaf in the wind when you can be the wind itself?

Offline BearMills

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Grizzly
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2008, 08:48:32 AM »
I honestly don't understand why everytime topics like this come up it always turns into a cop/government bashing topic.

I'm sorry, but get over yourself. Stop hating on the messengers and stop with the closed mindedness. It doesn't help Parkour one bit here across the ocean. Many of you need to understand the difference between private and public property. Also, just because an area is labeled as public property does not necessarily mean you can do anything you want there. Is this a sad reality? Yes. But how many of you that have been kicked out of a public place decide to do something about it and go to the mayor's office? How many of you organize groups or work with the local police department getting a positive image of Parkour spread?

Chances are those responding negatively here have never bothered to assert themselves and instead follow rules reluctantly and instead of trying to change what you don't agree with come here to complain and call names or poke fun at "rent-a-cops."

If someone approaches you, be friendly and explain yourself. Keep in mind they (the owners/supervisors/security) have every right in the book to be unsociable and simply tell you to leave. They don't HAVE to be open minded. This is something you need to accept and respect. It's a great feeling when you find one of the few that actually would like to know what you are doing before demanding you leave.

Creating a division between us and law enforcement is not the proper approach to solving our issue with media coverage and representation nationwide. Keep in mind, Jesse and Mark TRAIN these people everyday to perform their jobs better. We should be reaching out to these people, not calling names behind their backs and being disgruntled "hoodlums." Respect is one of the defining qualities of a fine traceur.

Thats a really good quote like im not joking  :)
Co-Founder

Offline Harrison at AlaskaParkour.com

• Mangabey
  • Squirrel's are a Traceurs best friend.
    • View Profile
    • Alaska Parkour
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2008, 10:56:39 AM »

I really respect people like you. + 1

Offline Sat Santokh

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Don't think with your balls, think with your brain
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2008, 01:02:21 PM »

The cop bashing thing I understand is a little silly, unless the cop is clearly making something up.  Do you really think they passed legislation that says "urban stunting" is illegal?  What is wrong with government bashing, you say not to hate the messenger, well they aren't the messenger, they made the message.  If the people disagree with the government they are supposed to complain about it and talk amongst themselves about it.  I wish I viewed the world with the innocence that you do, it would make everything so much easier.

Offline Charles Moreland

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • www.charlesmoreland.com
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2008, 01:24:09 PM »

What you call innocence I call wisdom. And yes everything does come easier.

Offline Adam McC

• Delicious
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Level 1 Sexability Certified
    • View Profile
    • Lehigh Valley Parkour
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2008, 02:25:59 PM »
Considering Parkour is more a mindset than anything else to me, I'd be pretty shocked if it was illegal ;)

Chad is right guys. You want people to put out, stop being stubborn, and accept a new perspective? Then find another one yourself. Put yourself in their position. Security guards, that's their job, that's how they support themselves and sometimes their families. If they do not do their job and tell you to leave, they could easily get fired. Mind you they are the people who protect the spots we hold dear. Without them, your spots would probably be trashed, dirty, even demolished. Now what's more important, your Sunday at "the good spot" with a friend or their livelihood?

If you want to be an example of being outgoing and compassionate, then conform to the obstacles of society. That's what we do right? Overcome obstacles? Well society is one of them. Just like you'd kick up a wall over and over until you make it, talk to people over and over, get a hold of the mayor, explain to him the benefits of parkour. We know they outweigh the risks, so what are you afraid of?

So stop bashing things just because you don't understand their perspective, like cops, guards, and the government. Because then you're the same as them, criticizing something else because you don't understand it.

•Lehigh Valley Parkour Community Founder
•Level 1 A.D.A.P.T. Certified
•Urban Current Member

Offline JumpOff

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2008, 05:26:02 AM »
my friend once told me that it was impossible to poop out of my mouth...boy did i show him.  :-Sarcasm

+1
lolol

Peter Griffin's guide to weightlifting:
"The key is to put it all in your groin and your back, take your legs totally out of the equation, lift with your lower back in a jerking twisting motion"

Algie

« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2008, 09:50:51 PM »

+1
lolol

hahah i +1'ed him too. that was epic.

Offline brewer.kyle

• Guenons
  • Awww yea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2008, 01:53:03 AM »
OKay, hold all this government love. It's just a little bit hard to organize a ton of parkour enthusiasts ready to march down to the mayor's office and take action getting it approved of when 99% of people think "what the hell is a park whore?". Yeah, I can march down to the mayor's office solo and in the extremely unlikely event that they'd even see me I'd still probably only make matters worse, I'm not some public speaker and politics are so typical. They see some guy walk in and tell them that an innocent activity is being considered criminal, I wonder if they care? So maybe they do, best case scenario the police lay off your back... oh but what's this? One thing goes wrong, a fence gets broken maybe, someone unknowingly trespasses, or someone gets injured and suddenly the police are right back there, a group of citizens begins pushing for a ban on parkour because of all the broken items and trespassing and injuries... suddenly parkour has gone from completely unknown to banned. Maybe you think that's an exaggeration and maybe it is, but have you ever seen a no skateboarding sign? It's just a matter of time before you see a No Parkour signs, then more and more will appear and probably even the police involved more and more, killing parkour before it's even a major activity. Probably even some total bans of parkour on public property. Maybe it was better off unknown.
Cut Hands.
Scraped Forearms and Elbows.
Head is Pounding.
Heart is Racing.
Knees barely bend at the end of the day.
We start again tomorrow, Traceur.

Offline James Rivard

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2008, 05:55:25 AM »
Far be it from me to post in a topic like this one but Parkour in practice is simply exercise. Full body exercise being performed outdoors. Do we yell at runners or bikers out in public for exercising? Not that I've seen but they still look just as foolish to some people. "Whats that guy running from? Nothing's chasing him and he's just going to end up where he started anyway!" I've heard that said about joggers before...now its just us climbing a ledge or scaling a building. How much damage can a person do running and jumping? How many bikers get into expensive car accidents all over the country? Its all a matter of damage really and that means the "Leave No Trace" imperative is even that much more important. If you find a hotspot and it has an "owner" find out what it might take to repair any and all damage we might cause. Wash a wall after leaving foot marks...pick up the trash that others have already left there...be even more considerate about that property than the owner and show them that it means something to you...a decent place to train. I'm positive if we all offer our services at no charge to maintain the properties we use every day that Parkour will never be looked down upon and traceurs and traceuses will be seen as caring and generous talented and community driven individuals. The fact remains...give back to the community first and legality will be the last thing we'll worry about.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2008, 06:04:52 AM by zomg_pk »
Training is the facilitation of your belief in it.

Offline brewer.kyle

• Guenons
  • Awww yea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2008, 06:11:26 AM »
That may work for some, definitely not all though. If you sincerely believe that everyone is out there doing there part to repair the damage and clean up after not only themselves but others as well, then that's fine. I, however, sincerely believe that not everyone out there cares and if you think that when a person who has no idea what parkour is sees a traceur running from nothing or scaling a building and that they don't think that they are up to no good or simply going to get themselves killed or injured, then that's fine. A fair amount of damage can be done, shit happens plain and simple. Somehow I don't see myself running parkour for the remainder of my life and never breaking anything or damaging property, I just don't think that's being reasonable. I can definitely see spending 20 minutes doing parkour and the next hour cleaning up everything, that just sounds wicked fun I cannot think of anything I would rather be doing except... oh running more parkour maybe. and in fact, legality is practically the only thing I worry about. If there was no legal problem with doing parkour there wouldn't even be a discussion. I'd love nothing more than for parkour to be internationally accepted as the greatest discipline ever, however I just don't believe that everyone can see eye to eye with that, and that's fine. As it turns out I cannot even see parkour compared with biking or running in terms of risk of injury or property damage.
Cut Hands.
Scraped Forearms and Elbows.
Head is Pounding.
Heart is Racing.
Knees barely bend at the end of the day.
We start again tomorrow, Traceur.

Offline JumpOff

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2008, 06:59:02 AM »
ARGH! format your paragraphs!!!

also:

Peter Griffin's guide to weightlifting:
"The key is to put it all in your groin and your back, take your legs totally out of the equation, lift with your lower back in a jerking twisting motion"